Start by marking “In Wassermelonen Zucker Roman” as Want to Read:
In Wassermelonen Zucker Roman

In Wassermelonen Zucker Roman

4.03  ·  Rating Details  ·  9,021 Ratings  ·  546 Reviews
Welcome to iDEATH -- a place where the sun shines a different colour every day and where people travel to the length of their dreams along paths lined with pines and stones. Rejecting the violence and hate of the old gang at the Forgotten Works, they lead gentle lives in watermelon sugar. Brautigan expresses the mood of a new generation.
Published 2003 by Kartaus (first published 1968)

Oriana
Jul 11, 2013 Oriana rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I almost can't believe how dazzling this book is. In Watermelon Sugar is 138 pages long — many of which are half pages at best — and yet manages to whip up a stunning, strange, surreal little world, full of sad, sweet characters and shockingly beautiful images.

It's the simplest little story: two lovers, a scorned ex-girlfriend, an old-timer who lights the lanterns on the bridges, a chef who cooks nothing but carrots. The whole book takes place in a few days, in a tiny little town where everythi
Dawn
Jun 08, 2008 Dawn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Softly we are Richard Brautigan and we have nothing to do with hippies and we fish for trout and keep some of the trout in there because we are Richard and we like to look at them. It suits us to have this mustache and to touch it periodically like one might touch a butterfly sitting there and wipe the crumbs away from something special that we have just eaten and enjoyed.
K.D. Absolutely
Oct 16, 2010 K.D. Absolutely rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to K.D. by: 1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die (2006-2010)
Shelves: 1001-core, favorites
Remarkable imagination. At times funny yet dark overall. Poetic yet simple lines. One of the two books that I am planning to re-read again and again.

Richard Brautigan (1935-1984), born in Tacoma, Washington, wrote this novella only for around 60 days in 1964, the year I was born. However, this was only published in 1968. In Watermelon Sugar was his 3rd novel after he earlier got noticed with his first, A Confederate General From Big Sur and got catapulted to international fame with his second, T
Travis
Mar 27, 2007 Travis rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is hands down my favorite book of all time. I wish I could give it more stars than five. It's written by a beat poet but sometimes feels more like Science Fiction crossed with stream of consciousness.
The first line of the book "In Watermelon Sugar, the deeds were done and done again, as my life is done in Watermelon Sugar." sets the mood of the book.
You're never really sure if it's all happening on Earth but in a different time or just in the mind of the author. The sun shines a different
Parastoo sahebi
حس خواب هایی رو داشت ک بر اثر زیاد شام خوردن می بینم :|
واقعا خزعبلات جالبی بود.
Miss Ravi
Aug 01, 2016 Miss Ravi rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: رمان
هیچوقت نباید کارهای یه نویسنده رو از آخر به اول خوند. ممکنه آدم مأیوس شه. حتا ممکنه فراموش کنه همهی لحظههای لذتبخشی که با کتابای خوب نویسندهی محبوبش داشته. برای من براتیگان نویسندهایه که نه به اندازهی ونهگات ولی تا حدود زیادی میتونم با کتابهاش خوش باشم. این کتاب اما از نظر چفتوبست محکم نبود. صدای جیرجیر لولاهاش به گوش میرسید و ترجمهاش به شدت افتضاح بود که البته مورد آخر به براتیگان مربوط نیست. با اینحال فکر میکنم که اصلا نباید این کتاب رو میخوندم. ...more
Arman
به کتاب و نویسنده مشهورش بی احترامی نمی کنم، ولی یقیناً این کتابی نیست که دلم بخواد یک بار دیگه بخونمش. سوررئالیسمِ به کار ر فته در کتاب به شدت "شخصی" ـه. منظورم از صفت "شخصی" اینه که مثلاً من از بچگی یا نوجوونی یه فانتزی ای توی سَرم از یه مکان یا پدیده ای داشته ـم، فانتزی ای که کاملاً خودجوش و خودساخته توی ذهنم به وجود اومده و فقط و فقط برای خودم جذاب و هیجان انگیزه. اگه این فانتزی رو برای شما تعریف کنم یا ازش داستان بنویسم، شاید خواننده از خوندنش لذت نبره، چون این فانتزی برای اون شخص، رنگ و لع ...more
Kat
Dec 29, 2007 Kat rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: ideath inhabitants
I was absolutely besotted with this book and now I can't remember why, but I carried it around with me in high school and just thumbed through it and soaked it up. I suppose it was everything I wanted, but couldn't have - freedom on all levels for a small-town girl stuck in a small school full of small people. This was my mantra for escape and it opened up many doors - some good and some bad, but all leading to the same right place and that was my own mind and my own opinions. For that alone, I ...more
Brent Legault
Dec 12, 2011 Brent Legault rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: pies in the skies, candyland lovers
This is the book that made me realize that Brautigan was a sham writer. I had my suspicions after reading Revenge of the Lawn and Trout Fishing in America, but this one put him forever in my private slush pile. I don't understand the reputation that has been handed him and I don't think he deserves it for the folderal he manufactured. His poetry is all right, at least I remember The Pill Versus the Springhill Mine Disaster as not entirely without worth. Some of it makes me laugh at least. But hi ...more
Nasim Dehghan
نسبت به اولین کتابی که ازش خوندم یعنی"پس باد همه چیز را با خود نخواهد برد" با خوندن این یکی یه کمی بیشتر تونستم براتیگان رو درکش کنم. حس کردم باید آدم احساسی و سرسختی باشه. با وجود خوندن دومین کتاب ازش، احساس می کنم هنوز نتونستم اون طور که باید با افکارش ارتباط برقرار کنم. با توجه به شناخت کمی که تا اینجا از نویسنده بدست آوردم برداشتم از این کتاب اینه که شاید منظور نویسنده این بوده که ایده آلِ مطلق وجود نداره! ایده آل در یک جامعه برتر هم مسلما نسبی خواهد بود و نمی تونه مورد پذیرش همه افراد جامعه ...more
Abby Hagler
I return to this book a lot. Recently, I think I offended a friend by being nosy about their previous name before they legally changed it. I read this chapter and mulled over my mistake:

MY NAME

If you are thinking about something that happened a long time ago: Somebody asked you a question and you did not know the answer.
That is my
Niloo Beygi
Jun 19, 2016 Niloo Beygi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: رمان
بعد از چند سال خوندن کتاب به این نتیجه رسیدم که بعضی از کتاب ها طعم دارن. این طعم کاملا از فضاسازی کتاب ناشی می شه. در قند هندوانه شیرینه؛ شیرینِ شیرین.
فارغ از این که براتیگان و سبک نوشتنش رو خیلی دوست دارم و به نظرم یکی از لطیف ترین، فانتزی ترین و بانمک ترین ذهنا رو داشته بین مردای نویسنده. همونطور که همه می دونن براتیگان عضو جنبش بیت بوده و آثارش جزو آثار پیرو مکتب پست مدرنیسم دسته بندی می شه و این توی شکل و ساختار نوشته هاش مشخصه و به نوعی توی این اثرش که نمی دونم دقیقا می شه رئالیسم جادویی ب
Jr Bacdayan
Ben Loory
Dec 31, 2009 Ben Loory rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Ben by: Jonathan
this should really be 4.5 stars because i think the very last page is wrong... or stops just a second shy of where it should. i'm still hanging there, waiting for what must necessarily follow........ right? right, richard? right?

in any case, this is a pretty great book. it's brautigan poem-world in the guise of some kind of post-apocalyptic hippie nightmare-fantasyland. takes a little while to adjust to it, it kinda just throws you in, and the adjustment period is a little traumatic, what with i
Caris
Feb 24, 2009 Caris rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2009
I fell in love with this book when people started cutting their thumbs off in the trout fishery. Before that, I was interested and had a little bit of a crush on it, but it was nothing serious. Now we're considering running away together.

So somber and sad, with a body count the like of which hasn't been seen in Braugtigan's work yet. It's about life, plain and simple. At least, I think so.

From this point forward, I live my life in watermelon sugar.
Mon
Nov 09, 2010 Mon rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: other lit posers
Recommended to Mon by: lit posers
Shelves: po-mo
The rating is much harder than the actual book. The process of critical assessment is far too logical for this madly surreal, withdrawn, disassociated schizoid novella. You can compare it to a high-brow indie cross-genre EP on Pitchfock, completely incomprehensible but pretty nonetheless. I don't understand any of it, but here's a bunch of artwork that sort of look like the visual imagery, if it can be compared to anything else.

Owl by David Noonan

or make myself a space to inhabit too by Del Kar
NaaZaaNiN
یه روایت عجیب ...
دنیایی که از قند هندوانه ساخته شده...
و مردمی که آرامش خاصی دارن یعنی وقتی با اتفاقات ناگوار مواجه میشن خیلی با آرامش میپذیرن و کنار میان...
...
واکنش جدی و پر تنشی در قبال مشکلات و اتفاقات ناگوار ندارن.
مردم این دنیایی که از قند هندوانه ساخته شده از کنار هم بودن خوشحالن باهم خوب زندگی میکنن باهم غذا میخورند و با آرامش خاصی زندگی قندِ هندوانه ایشونو ادامه میدن..
یه داستان عجیب و غریب و جادویی که سبک پیش میره و کنجکاوت میکنه که حتمن کتاب و بخونی تا آخرش :)
Mat
Breathtakingly original, this surrealist short novel by Brautigan was like reading about a perfect acid or mushroom trip - perfect in the sense that there is no paranoia or upset stomach.

In this story, people live in Watermelon Sugar and many objects, such as planks and even windows, are made out of (golden) watermelon sugar. People are buried in tombs on the bottom of trout-filled rivers and there is a place called The Forgotten Works where all the forgotten things lie piled up for millions of
Melody
Jun 24, 2016 Melody rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
6/2016 Yes. Again, and always. Water in the desert, this.

12/2015 My boy brought this to me tonight because he was certain I needed it. Oh, how right he was.

1/2012 This one is a touchstone for me, and I'm not sure exactly why. Perhaps because it is so very gentle, so loving, so open. Ostensibly, it's a few days in a commune in some mythical world that used to have beautiful, man-eating, talking tigers. A world where everything is made from watermelon sugar. But it's always struck me as a meditat
Nadine Larter
Definitely one of the strangest but most original books I have ever read. Strange that it is such an old story when it seems so contemporary. I can't quite explain the absolute weirdness of it. It's sort of a book about the writing of the book itself. Usually I find that kind of thing quite obnoxious but it just worked with this one. To the character Margaret: I loved you the most. To the unnamed narrator: you chose the wrong girl.
Ann
Jun 16, 2007 Ann rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
a friend and I read this book aloud to one another in the hallway of a dilapidated residence hotel over a few hours. after whcih, whatever was broken in my imagination was amiably mended..
Vit Babenco
Feb 04, 2015 Vit Babenco rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In the hippie world life obeys its own laws. And those who live in a watermelon fairytale are lucky because watermelon sugar is a universal stuff serving all purposes in life.
“I once had a dream about the aqueduct being a musical instrument filled with water and bells hanging by small watermelon chains right at the top of the water and the water making the bells ring.”
No need to bother for food as well…
“Al cooked up a mess of carrots again. He broiled them with mushrooms and a sauce made from w
Paul
Bizarre and surreal pretty much sums this up and I know many people see this as utopian, a Garden of Eden setting in what seems to be a post-apocalyptic world. Brautigan indicated that Bolinas, the town in California where he lived for a while, provided something of a template. It is notoriously reclusive and the abode of poets, artists and ecologists.
The commune is called iDEATH and the narrator has a shack nearby and a room in the commune. There;s his girlfriend Pauline, an ex-girlfriend Marg
Jeffrey May
Jul 26, 2012 Jeffrey May rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this more than once between 1970 and 1980. It stuck with me so much that I could recite the opening paragraph easily and did so over the years. Recently, I read it again on Kindle. Still, truly a strange and wonderful piece of literature. This time through I was struck by the violence and blood of the ending chapters, perhaps made more palatable upon first reading by the poetic nature of Brautigan's prose.

Richard Brautigan inspired my own early writing. At 24 (I’m now 58), I wrote Cynthia
Lisbeth Solberg
The 4-star rating is a compromise between different readings at different times of my life. Once I even loved this book, a sort of hippie fairytale, in which unpleasant possessiveness and alcohol abuse (bad) poison pleasant promiscuity and marijuana use (good). This was my favorite part:

We went over and lay upon her bed. I took her dress off. She had nothing on underneath. We did that for a while. Then I got up and took off my overalls and lay back down beside her.

That's a fairly representative
Aricle
Apr 24, 2007 Aricle rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favourites
I have read this book many times, starting from when I was a kid. It enchanted me as a kid for it has themes that I could grasp: your parents leaving you and being scared, talking tigers, best friends and lost friends, mountains of junk and mysterious places to explore, not to mention the fascination of different colours of the sun for every day of the week. As I have read it again and again, the layers of meaning and understanding have grown. I am glad that I read it first when I was very young ...more
Michael
Oct 22, 2009 Michael rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: literature, 1960s
This was the first fiction I'd read by Brautigan, and as I read the beginning, I became quickly sure it was a total piece-o-shite. But, as I continued, I totally fell in love with it. It was like 48 Hours. I was Nick Nolte, and In Watermelon Sugar was Eddie Murphy.

Very surreal, and surreal in a disorienting way at first. But, it grew in hilarity for me as I read further. Was there the point? I don't know. If I was supposed to get something deep out of this, I didn't. But it was quite entertaini
Richard
Feb 15, 2014 Richard rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is my Irene Adler.

It's rather short and surreal. Utterly intriguing and a little disturbing. And lovely. I read it first as a child of 11 or so. At this point, I've read it too many times to count. I own four copies of it. They're on a special shelf with my other multiple copies of Brautigan works. Whenever I see a copy of this in a bookstore, I stop, pull it out and, laying both hands upon it, raise it to my forehead, then open it and read a few pages. I smile and feel becalmed. Gentl
Alina
May 19, 2009 Alina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"Well, I've got to get back to work," Fred said. "The plank press calls. What are you going to do?"
"I think I'll go write," I said. "Work on my book for a while."
"That sounds ambitious," Fred said. "Is the book about weather like the schoolteacher said?"
"No, it's not about weather."
"Good," Fred said. "I wouldn't want to read a book about weather."
"Have you ever read a book?" I said.
"No," Fred said. "I haven't, but I don't think I'd want to start by reading one about clouds."
Sheyda Dehghan
Jan 27, 2016 Sheyda Dehghan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
همیشه گفتم که عاشق دنیاهایی ام که براتیگن خلق میکنه، به اصول خودش پایبنده و کاری به نظر کسی نداره. اینکه دوتا از نویسنده های خاص و موردعلاقه م؛ هدایت و براتیگن، خودکشی کردند یواش یواش داره خطرناک میشه :) البته نمیدونم بگم خوشبختانه؟! اما هرچی که هست فعلا معتقدم آدم برای اصولش بجنگه بهتره
ترجمه مهدی نوید رو خیلی دوست داشتم، مرسی از نشر چشمه
  • میرا
  • The Job: Interviews with William S. Burroughs
  • The Collected Fanzines
  • You Can't Catch Death
  • The Passion According to G.H.
  • داستان خرس‌های پاندا: به روایت یک ساکسیفونیست که دوست‌دختری در فرانکفورت دارد
  • The Loser
  • Project for a Revolution in New York
  • Blood and Guts in High School
  • How it Is
  • EVER
  • The End of the Story
Richard Brautigan was a 20th century American writer. His novels and stories often have to do with black comedy, parody, satire, and Zen Buddhism. He is probably best known for his novel Trout Fishing in America. He died of a self-inflicted gunshot wound in 1984.

More about Richard Brautigan...

“I'll tell you about it because I am here and you are distant.” 123 likes
“My Name

“I guess you are kind of curious as to who I am, but I am one of those who do not have a regular name. My name depends on you. Just call me whatever is in your mind.
That is my name.
Perhaps it was raining very hard.
That is my name.
Or somebody wanted you to do something. You did it. Then they told you what you did was wrong—“Sorry for the mistake,”—and you had to do something else.
That is my name.
Perhaps it was a game you played when you were a child or something that came idly into your mind when you were old and sitting in a chair near the window.
That is my name.
Or you walked someplace. There were flowers all around.
That is my name.
Perhaps you stared into a river. There as something near you who loved you. They were about to touch you. You could feel this before it happened. Then it happened.
That is my name.”