Start by marking “Jupiter's Bones” as Want to Read:
Jupiter's Bones

Jupiter's Bones (Peter Decker and Rina Lazarus #11)

3.8 of 5 stars 3.80  ·  rating details  ·  2,929 ratings  ·  62 reviews
Once Dr. Emil Euler Ganz was a preeminent astrophysicist with a worldrenowned reputation. But then he vanished without any warning to his family or colleagues. Fifteen years later, he reappeared as "Father Jupiter," the founder and charismatic leader of the scientific cult, The Order of the Rings. And now he's dead--a vial of sleeping pills and an empty bottle of vodka sta ...more
Published October 13th 2009 by HarperCollins e-books (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Jupiter's Bones, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Jupiter's Bones

Chris
THIS SUMMARY/REVIEW WAS COPIED FROM OTHER SOURCES AND IS USED ONLY AS A REMINDER OF WHAT THE BOOK WAS ABOUT FOR MY PERSONAL INTEREST. ANY PERSONAL NOTATIONS ARE FOR MY RECOLLECTION ONLY

prob a 3.5 Interesting, kept my attention, however not crazy about the subject matter.

In Jupiter’s Bones, Peter Decker receives a phone call suggesting that he investigate the recent death of Jupiter, the leader of a sequestered religious community and a formerly famous scientist. The words “religious community” a
Bridgette Redman
Faye Kellerman has returned to the characters who first brought her fame, after taking a trip to Las Vegas in Moon Music. Thank goodness! It seems the vacation did her well as Jupiter’s Bones has all the energy and excitement that Kellerman’s fans have come to expect from the Peter and Rina Decker canon. Indeed, Jupiter’s Bones goes a long way toward redeeming the abysmal Serpent’s Tooth, the previous book in the series.

In Jupiter’s Bones, Peter Decker receives a phone call suggesting that he in
Barbra
Once again a great read from Kellerman. Love this series.

Back Cover Blurb:
Dr Emil Ganz was always extraordinary, in death as well as in life. A physicist whose theories of Cosmology thrilled the world, he disappeared at the peak of his fame, to emerge years later as Jupiter, leader of a community that preached a bizarre blend of mathematics and mysticism, drawing the credulous, the unhappy and the utterly unscrupulous into their enclosed ranks.
And now Ganz's apparent suicide is threatening to de
Jenn
From the very first Rina Lazarus and Peter Decker novel, Kellerman has had winning characters. It certainly makes things more interesting when the lead detective on the case is also a devout Jew; the reader is offered a fascinating glimpse into the culture and faith of Judaism in contrast to the various horrors of crime and conspiracy that Decker must unravel.

Jupiter's Bones is another excellent example of Kellerman's characters at their best. While the story line is a little predictable (i.e. c
Linda
Kellerman’s last book took a break from the stories of Peter Decker and his family, but now they are back. Decker is called to the home of a cult whose leader, called Jupiter, has just been found dead. Jupiter had at one time been a physicist of some repute, and then had disappeared for ten years, and when he returned he founded this cult, whose object was to transport its members to a better world. What seems like a simple case to solve, perhaps a suicide escalates to a big showdown like Waco ...more
Fiona
This is one of my favorites of the books that I have read so far in the series. The plot had enough twists to keep the reader guessing and was an fascinating insight into the world of cults.
Anna
I like the Decker series, but this was definitely not my favorite of the series.
Decker investigates a suspicious suicide of a religious cult leader known as Jupiter, decades before known as a decent scientist Emil Ganz. There are some very horrendously inhospitable and ill-mannered people in this cult church, and there's an interesting number of people who would have loved to see Jupiter - Ganz - dead. A few other people, this time younger ones, go missing, and this kicks in more investigation.
T
Annabelle
A truly dreadful book. I usually like the Peter Decker mysteries, a detective with a traditional Jewish wife, Rena in LA. But the plot was simultaneously preposterous and simplistic, about a schizophrenic, brilliant mathematician who starts a cult and who is found dead. Decker investigates, and of course there is evil at the core, and then more murders, and eventually a Waco type blow-up. Cults can be destructive, but this one murders people and buries them in the garden. And Peter has trouble a ...more
Rosemarie
One would think reading the 11th book in a series would become boring, but that is far from the truth. In this novel, Kellerman brings a strange cult front and center with all the mystery she's known for. One more story I enjoyed in the Peter Decker series.
Michelle Lemay santiago
The last part of the book was amazing but I found the first 3 quarters a slog. Still enjoying the series and moving on to next!
Nicholas
Faye Kellerman's mysteries are consistently engaging, with Jupiter's Bones being no exception. I found the plot and a few of the characters on this one to be on the outlandish side, but it was still entertaining.
Marti
This was one of Faye Kellerman's better Peter Decker stories. The idea of crazy cults is not new and unfortunately, sometimes timely in real life. The characters, though somewhat out of it, are strong, with definite motivation as to what they do. I must admit that I had to skip the chicken killing part. It isn't until the end of the book that we get to find out the genesis of the group, and then its components. Since the cult part is sometimes disturbing, it is refreshing to read what is happeni ...more
Rockheadedmama
I really enjoy the Peter Decker series
Jeri
This one has the lieutenant investigating the mysterious death of a cult leader. The cult exists behind walls and barred gates, making investigation difficult, and when the first death is followed by others the situation becomes critical. I am not particularly interested in cults, making this one of my least favorites of the series, but even so, I enjoyed it. I particularly like the way the focus moves between Decker's professional and personal lives. And there's some real pulse pounding suspens ...more
Julie
What a GREAT BOOK this turned out to be! A page turner after the hard beginning!
Elizabeth Ruth
One of the best so far. Absolutely gripping.
Andrea Knudson
This book was filled with many things to ponder---religion, teen age challenges, politics, etc. But as is always the case, I was intrigued by the mystery of the story and always enjoy the side parts about Decker's wife and family. I've learned much about the Jewish faith as I've read this series. Unfortuantely, I haven't always been able to read them in sequence---but in spite of that, they are riveting.
Justin Allen
As a whole it was a good book. Started to go down hill towards the last few chapters. Some grammer and literary mistakes which in some cases left the reader to fill in blank spots in the story nothing to big though. I wouldn't recomend this book inless your to read list is getting low. It keep my attention and I actually finished so that says something about it. An ok book all in all though.
Karen Kinsella
Ho humm... unimaginative thriller piggybacking off closed-cult tragedies in past news, and weighed down by too much peripheral family stuff. This is the first Faye Kellerman book I've read, and unless more shows up in our crime-themed book club, it will probably be the last. It wasn't a bad book, just not very good. I don't even want to waste the time writing a review.
Mirrordance
Non poteva mancare un episodio incentrato su qualche setta e su una strage di massa. Episodio piu' splatter del solito che ci ricorda piu' le avventure di Kay Scarpetta che lo stile descrittivo di Faye Kellerman.
Jeff Brateman
A detailed suspense and part action story about the details into a cult and the people in it. I specifically remember a scene at the end where they are digging through a tunnel to reach the kids in the cult, and I was really claustrophobic. Good plot overall, but I don't really remember much about the characters, so I guess that wasn't so good.
Rebecca Huston
A chilling murder mystery set around a New-Age religious cult in southern California. Entry number 11 in the ongoing Peter Decker/Rina Lazarus series. Better than some of the entries in the series, but not quite as compelling as the earliest novels.

For the complete review, please go here:
Alisha Bouchard
I really liked this book, the story and plot were awesome and I really felt for the main character and his family. I kinda got confused about some of the Jewish terms that they used but other than that I thought that was really unique. This is the first book of hers that I have read and I might read more of her stuff in the future.
Ryan
Jul 14, 2013 Ryan rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Ryan by: r_nyg@yahoo.com
Just as the stars indicate, it was ok. I feel there were a lot of story lines that were left unresolved and I wasn't satisfied with the ending.
There was a great scene where the author describes one of the main characters crawling through an underground tunnel. Probably the most riveting part of the book.
Robin
Having read the Decker / Lazarus series from the beginning, the books just keep getting better and better! Kellerman is an exceptional murder mystery writer, and this story in particular had me turning every single page. If you have never read any of this series, this would be a great one to start on!
Vicki Klemm
I have enjoyed Faye Kellerman's books in the past, especially "The Quality of Mercy", but this book was a poor comparison. Maybe it was one of her earlier books; the writing/dialog was not very good, nor was the story. I'm actually surprised that I actually finished the book.
Sally Anderson
Not as good as she usually is but I still liked it. Peter & Rina seem like real people to me. And Faye Kellerman's books are not violent (as her husband's are). I actually re-read this (inadvertently) but still liked it.
Arlene
It's been quite a while since I read a good mystery. This one really held my interest.

It all centers around a cult, with a charismatic leader - reminiscent of Waco and Heaven's Gate, as things start falling apart.
  • The Web (Alex Delaware, #10)
Faye Kellerman was born in St. Louis, Missouri and grew up in Sherman Oaks, California. She earned a BA in mathematics and a doctorate in dentistry at UCLA., and conducted research in oral biology. Kellerman's groundbreaking first novel, THE RITUAL BATH, was published in 1986 to wide critical and commercial acclaim. The winner of the Macavity Award for the Best First Novel from the Mystery Readers ...more
More about Faye Kellerman...

Peter Decker and Rina Lazarus (1 - 10 of 22 books)
  • The Ritual Bath (Peter Decker/Rina Lazarus, #1)
  • Sacred and Profane (Peter Decker/Rina Lazarus, #2)
  • Milk and Honey (Peter Decker/Rina Lazarus, #3)
  • Day of Atonement (Peter Decker/Rina Lazarus, #4)
  • False Prophet (Peter Decker/Rina Lazarus, #5)
  • Grievous Sin (Peter Decker/Rina Lazarus, #6)
  • Sanctuary (Peter Decker/Rina Lazarus, #7)
  • Justice (Peter Decker/Rina Lazarus, #8)
  • Prayers for the Dead (Peter Decker/Rina Lazarus, #9)
  • Serpent's Tooth (Peter Decker/Rina Lazarus, #10)
The Ritual Bath (Peter Decker/Rina Lazarus, #1) Milk and Honey (Peter Decker/Rina Lazarus, #3) Hangman (Peter Decker/Rina Lazarus, #19) Sanctuary (Peter Decker/Rina Lazarus, #7) Sacred and Profane (Peter Decker/Rina Lazarus, #2)