It's Not Really About the Hair: The Honest Truth About Life, Love, and the Business of Beauty

3.64 of 5 stars 3.64  ·  rating details  ·  455 ratings  ·  95 reviews

Fans of the hit Bravo show Tabatha's Salon Takeover tune in for the straight-shooting, unvarnished commentary of its ballsy, stylish, and savvy star. Though millions admire Tabatha Coffey's unflinching honesty and never-say-die attitude, some do not and have even taken to name-calling. Refusing to let others define her, she has reclaimed the word "bitch," transforming it t

Published January 25th 2011 by HarperCollins e-books (first published January 1st 2011)

Kristina
I am a huge fan of Tabatha Coffey, so when I saw her memoirs sitting on a table of summer reading picks in Barnes and Noble, I immediately snapped up a copy. Most "stars" of reality TV are completely vapid and insufferable, but Tabatha, in my mind, is different. She's a talented hairdresser, tough as nails and totally unafraid to say what she thinks. I love a woman with the skills to back up her attitude. Tabatha Takes Over on Bravo is one of my favorite guilty pleasure shows, because she has th...more
Kimberly

Back in October one of the Goodreads groups I'm in You'll love this one...!! A book club & more had a week long non-fiction read-a-thon and this was one of my reads for the challenge. I've long been a fan of Tabatha Coffey and I actually watch her show every week. I love her attitude and her work ethic. Plus when she goes off on the stupidity of some people well she's a girl after my own heart.

When I found out that Tabatha had a book I was kind of surprised and a little nervous. I really wan...more
Andrea
I don't really read a lot of non-fiction, or memoirs in general. But I am a huge fan of Tabatha since season 1 of Shear Genius, and find her to be the most genuine of reality TV stars, simply for how she communicates with her fans. My mother died three weeks ago, and when Tabatha dedicated her new book to her mom who recently passed away, I was moved. I told her I was, and she actually sent me a personal message sending her condolences. Can't say other celebrities would do the same. For this rea...more
Bjorn Zangmeister
If you are expecting to really find out the personal side of Tabatha, forget it - she only tells you what she is truly comfortable in sharing. The thing about this book is regardless of what industry you work in, there are pearls of wisdom to be taken from her. This a very good book in kicking yourself in the butt and getting out there doing something. Being like Tabatha and her BITCH philosophy - Bravery, Integrity, Truthful, Creative and Honest, I feel her story is inspiring.

I respect people w...more
Mart
The reason why i bought this book was not because i'm a hairdresser,
or that I seek psychological help through self-help books. Nor am I interested
in how to have my own Hair Salon.

No the reason was that I think that Tabatha is hilarious, in a good way. Her Bravo TV show
'Tabatha's Takes Over' is a great show, not because the concept is that good or original but
because of the hostess Tabatha.

In this book Tabatha surely didn't let me down. Many times I laughed out loud because of her
witty writing...more
Jessica
Even though I hardly do anything to my own hair I LOVE watching Tabatha's Salon Takeover, so I was excited to see that she had a book coming out too. It was definitely interesting to read about her life growing up and how she ended up with her own TV show. There are lots of great pictures in the book too. Overall, it was an interesting read.

Tabatha's definition of a "bitch":

Bravery
Intelligence
Tenacity
Creativity
Honesty
Lucas
Compulsively readable, Tabatha's voice comes through loud and clear - it's almost like she is reading to you. The tone is frank, breezy, fun, direct, and inspiring. I was fascinated to learn about her childhood and how she grew up and also about her weight problem when she was younger. There's a lot of cursing here, but what else would you expect from Tabatha. We wouldn't have her any other way...
Angélique Moreau
This is Bravo's TV Tabatha Coffey's first book, following the success of her reality-TV show Tabatha's salon takeover. But much more thanbeing simply a celebrity's memoir, this book deals with personal issues like growing up in an alternative lifestyle (her parents owned a transsexual strip-club), coming out to her surprinsigly reluctant mother or succumbing to insecurities and peer-pressure and getting plastic surgery, after years of being bullied as a child for being overweight.

We also follow...more
Being a hairdresser i've always had a ton of respect for Tabatha and despite her abrasive nature i've always admired her strength and passion for the industry and have always enjoyed watching Tabatha's Salon Takeover! She always seemed to say what you were thinking but probably wouldn't ever verbalize for risk of sounding "bitchy".

I like that this book was a mix of her childhood, her upbringing, the beauty industry, and her personal struggles. It was inspirational, and although I thought I knew...more
Carolyn Wesley
"As you discover your real self, don't be scared to show that person to the people in your life. I don't just mean the new hairdo, I mean the inner discoveries, as well. Let your thoughts, your mistakes, and your moral compass be known more completely to the people you care about. And maybe the people in your life will take their own lessons from your stories." ~Tabatha Coffey~

While I was getting ready to leave the house yesterday morning, the mailman dropped off the daily mail consisting of bil...more
Shevonne
This book is a combination of a memoir, business, and inspirational. Tabatha discusses her childhood as an obese girl taunted by her classmates while being raised in strip clubs with transgender dancers who taught her what being authentic really means. You can tell she admires her mother who showed her how to be a strong woman who stands her ground. This upbringing molded her into the person she is today.

I've loved Tabatha since Shear Genius, and I have never missed her show. She is very inspir...more
Jolie Pre
I discovered this book after watching Tabatha on "Fashion Police." Her individuality and no-nonsense attitude made me want to buy her book. I'm so happy I did. Tabatha calls herself a "bitch" but in a good way. I call myself the same. I like Tabatha because she follows the beat of her own drum and not the beat of the crowd. One of my favorite quotes from the book? "Anyone who has worked with me knows that I don't suffer fools easily and that I won't hesitate to speak my mind. The irony of people...more
Aj
I absolutely love Tabatha! This book was a really interesting read. She covers her struggles both personal and professional from issues with her drunk father, a botched boob job and how she climbed the ladder of the hair styling industry. Sprinkled throughout the chapters are tips on how to improve your business, your self esteem and how to release your inner bitch.

Also touching on topics such as coming out, not fitting into other people's expectations and mindsets and giving tips on how to tel...more
Andrea
I love Tabatha, so it was fun to read this part-memoir, part-business/motivational book that blends stories about her upbringing and hair experience with tips on business and life. Raised in transgender strip clubs with drag queens as her aunties, Tabatha made a name for herself doing hair from a young age and then finally struck it big on Shear Genius and finally Tabatha Takes Over. She's independent, tenacious, and straightforward, and this books makes it easier to understand her as a person....more
Chade66
If you don't like her straight up, in your face, take no prisoners style on her reality show, you'll hate this book. Frankly I find it refreshing and its one of the things I really like about this book.

My daughter has been very inspired by the show and it was something that lead her to take seriously the idea of being a makeup artist. So I think I'll buy this for her for Christmas (sh..don't tell her) in hopes that it will inject some practicality into her dream so she can truly be successful.

Th...more
Daniel
This book was amazing! I highly recommend it to anyone, even if you're not a fan of the show. Tabitha explains how she has taken back the word BITCH and how you can do it in your own life as well. The books is FULL of helpful tidbits on how to live a better life and be a better person overall. I got so much out of this book and will be applying a lot of what she had to say in my own life. I don't want to ruin anything for anyone, but I truly enjoyed the end of each chapter's "summary" page on ho...more
Beth Zimmerman
"You each need your own set of balls." That was Tabatha's advice to myself, my friend and business partner shortly after opening my new salon, The Parlour in Victoria, Minnesota. She was right.
Stylist or not, this was a fascinating book of overcoming adversity, and a great reminder that no matter what chosen profession, (maybe even unchosen) people will judge no matter what. It is not education that makes one wise. It is experience and learning from your mistakes, and others if you pay attenti...more
Elizabeth
I really like Tabatha, but this book was not well put together. The cover belies the photos on the inside and the writing is very repetitive in it's stomping around about being different. I did enjoy learning about her past, but I wish she would have included those pictures instead of the glam/ dominatrix shots which were included. Perhaps the thought was that she would lose her mystique as a dragon lady and thus her brand, but there is enough to spare that giving her a little dimension this lat...more
Nicole Kerr
Meh...

While I'm a huge fan of her take over show, I found the book a little flat. The majority of the book was about the same stuff....growing up in a transgender club, she was fat, etc. It would have been great if she would have included some tips of her hairdressing, her fashion style, and was more in depth with the later part of her life. As a cosmologists, I would have enjoyed that. Also, the end of the book "suggestions" weren't helping at all.

That being said, since I respect her so much I...more
Frank Harris
I'm always suspect of things that appear ghost-written, but I found I was really reading this in Tabatha's distinctive voice. It has many interesting anecdotes, and if you like Coffey's tv show, many insights into her methods and how it developed. The "educational" parts are little iffy, though.
Saleena Davidson
I love watching Tabatha's Salon Takeover, so had to read this book when I saw it. She's just as outspoken in her book, and has led quite an interesting life.......a short fun biography on an interesting person....what more could you ask for?
Jennie
A co-worker lent me this book and I loved it.

I first saw Tabatha on her show "Tabatha Takes Over" and was struck by her confidence, direct approach and professional attitude.

Like others have said this book reads like you're sitting down with her for a nice cup of tea and a chat. She has re-claimed the word "bitch" to a positive meaning, something I think is very cool. Her unconventional upbringing is a fascinating read; I don't want to give too much away.

Inspirational, brave, tough, honest and...more
Randine
Hey - she's a hairdresser, not a writer.
Lee Anne
Tabatha Coffey rose to cable-T.V. fame as a too-soon-eliminated contestant on Bravo's Shear Genius, then as star of her own show, Tabatha's Salon Takeover, in which she visits struggling, drama-filled hair salons and whips them into shape. This slender volume, part memoir and part motivational advice, succeeds more in the former than in the latter.

Coffey's childhood was colorful, to say the least. Her parents operated transsexual strip clubs, and Tabatha spent many hours amongst the queens. The...more
Katy
Tabatha Coffey is so fabulous, I can't give her too hard a time about her writing skills. And after all, she's a hairdresser/entrepreneur/takeover queen, not a writer. This book would have been painful to read had it been about anyone other than Tabatha. It's part business owner's manual, part motivational speech, and part autobiography. The most enjoyable parts are the autobiographical ones, but even they're slightly frustrating because Tabatha takes you to the brink, then simply walks away fro...more
Kat Mc
So the boces cosmetology teachers assigned this to the seniors who are in their classes. Therefore I had to read it to keep up with one of my students and help her with her work.

Probably would never have read it otherwise. That being said, it was enjoyable. I can relate to this bitch. I think she sends a good message, especially to up and coming hairdressers like my student.

I don't have cable so I've never seen her on tv, but the book was amusing enough that I can imagine what she's like.

Woul...more
Kristi
I think this book has a lot of useful life advice overall. It's interesting but also quite jumbled together at times with no real pattern or flow. I love Tabatha. We are 2 of a kind for sure, I just wish this book had been a little better written. If you have what it takes to be the kind of person she is then you will enjoy reading about the perspective of someone similar to you or someone you strive to be like. But you either have that in you or you don't. If you don't, this particular book won...more
Kaye
I didn't know who she was when I started reading the book, and I've never seen her on tv, but I was fascinated with her stories of how and where she grew up! I have a quibble with a story about her travels. She related a time when she was in Little Rock, AR when Bill Clinton was president. She referred to it as his hometown and talked about bathhouse row and the hot springs. She may have come to Little Rock at some time, but the town she was referring to in that story is actually Hot Springs, no...more
Carla
Pretty short book! Read in one sitting. If you don't know her from the TV show, and don't appreciate her "style", then I don't know that you'd get anything out of the book or even know what she's talking about. She's very private, and she attests to that in the book. She had a very interesting upbringing but it certainly helped her in attaining her goals. She's very driven, and the wee bit this book offered, attests to her strengths and determination. Would have liked more personal and deeper in...more
Bea Ansley
I love Tabatha's show, and was working in a salon when the book came out. My co-workers and I bought copies of the book and planned to read it book club style and report back with our excitement.. but I had lost all hope by the second chapter (I did end up reading it halfway through, but it was very forced). I found her writing dull and her stories bland. I returned the book two days later. Such a bummer, I was really looking forward to reading this.
  • Part of the Pride: My Life Among the Big Cats of Africa
  • The Great Penguin Rescue: 40,000 Penguins, a Devastating Oil Spill, and the Inspiring Story of the World's Largest Animal Rescue
  • Hula: A Novel
  • Hollywood Monster: A Walk Down Elm Street with the Man of Your Dreams
  • Unveiled: The Hidden Lives of Nuns
  • Guts: The Endless Follies and Tiny Triumphs of a Giant Disaster
  • Too Many Doubts (The Sweet Life #3)
  • How to Walk a Puma: And Other Things I Learned While Stumbling through South America
  • Lucky Me: My Life With--and Without--My Mom, Shirley MacLaine
  • Welcome to the Departure Lounge: Adventures in Mothering Mother
  • You Have No Idea: A Famous Daughter, Her No-nonsense Mother, and How They Survived Pageants, Hollywood, Love, Loss (and Each Other)
  • It Jes' Happened: When Bill Traylor Started to Draw
  • The Virgin Diaries
  • Direct Red: A Surgeon's Story
  • What Not to Wear
  • An Intimate Life: Sex, Love, and My Journey as a Surrogate Partner
  • Babylon Confidential: A Memoir of Love, Sex, and Addiction
  • Take Another Little Piece of My Heart: A Groupie Grows Up
Tabatha Coffey is an Australian hairstylist, salon owner, and American television personality. Her participation as a contestant on the television show, Shear Genius, led to her own television show, Tabatha's Salon Takeover, which airs on the U.S. cable television network, Bravo, and on FOXTEL's pay television network, Arena in Australia.
More about Tabatha Coffey...
Own It!: Be the Boss of Your Life--at Home and in the Workplace