The Ebb Tide

The Ebb Tide (The Narbondo Series #4)

3.6 of 5 stars 3.60  ·  rating details  ·  60 ratings  ·  10 reviews
A flaming meteor over the Yorkshire Dales, a long-lost map drawn by the lunatic Bill “Cuttle” Kraken, and the discovery of a secret subterranean shipyard beneath the River Thames lead Professor Langdon St. Ives and his intrepid friend Jack Owlesby into the treacherous environs of Morecambe Bay, with its dangerous tides and vast quicksand pits. They descend beneath the sand...more
Published December 31st 2010 by Subterranean Press (first published July 31st 2009)

John Onoda
I'm a great fan of James Blaylock. The Ebb Tide is a Langdon St. Ives adventure, which means it's set in early 19th century England, although an England remade by Blaylock's whimsical imagination. There are submarines and walking bathospheres, plucky orphans and unflappable butlers, the threat of an evil dwarf mastermind, and much more. All fun, but this is a story just for fun, so it's all frothy and there isn't much substnace here.
Will Humphreys
Back on form after the disappointing 'Knights of the Cornerstone', Blaylock returns to the wonderful world of 'Steampunk' England. Diabolical villains, curious machines and fabulous and impossible scenery combine into a satisfying, fast-paced and beautifully crafted yarn. My only criticism is that it is too short.

More please.
LP
I'm a fan of steampunk literature, dark and light. This is a somewhat lighter one, although there are harrowing moments. It's also a novella, which I knew going in but which still makes me a little sad because I wanted it to keep going. But what I really appreciate is how skilled the author is at characterization. The characters seem real and I wish I could hang out with them. On to the next adventure!
Fantasy Literature
19th-century London. A quiet evening among more or less renowned gentleman, including the gifted scientist-explorer Langdon St. Ives, at their favorite tavern is interrupted by word that a map to a missing mysterious device has been found. In no time, as chronicled by St. Ives's cohort Jack Owlesby, the group sets off to claim the map and device, racing against the shadowy figure of St. Ives's nemesis, Ignacio Narbondo (now known as Dr. Frosticos).

The first new tale of St. Ives in nearly two dec...more
Frank Taranto
A pretty good short steampunk story set in 19th century England.
Langdon St. Ives is a scientist and an explorer and Jack Owlesby is his partner and storyteller.
The story includes a submarine, an undersea walking machine, an evil professor and a few thugs thrown in.
A fun, young adult book.
David Schwan
This is part of a series of adventures of Langdon St. Ives, a scientist/adventurer set in Victorian London. I loved the descriptions of the book dealer and his shop. The object they are chasing seems almost an afterthought in the story, as is St. Ives nemesis. A quick fun read.
Aaron
I've been reading Blaylock for a few decades now and always enjoy his work. He keeps things lighthearted and whimsical with that British dry humor. Good steampunk that isn't heavy and depressing (it all doesn't have to be).
Shaun Brady
A decent short steampunk story that seemed to suffer from being a short story, it easily could have been part of a much better longer tale.
Matt
A lot of fun, albeit a bit short.

Cheers.
Carilu
Carilu marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2014
Herr Lemmy
Herr Lemmy marked it as to-read
Mar 30, 2014
Julio
Julio marked it as to-read
Mar 28, 2014
James Ground
James Ground marked it as to-read
Mar 22, 2014
Julie Bucci
Julie Bucci marked it as to-read
Mar 05, 2014
AK
AK marked it as to-read
Feb 18, 2014
Thewalkinglexicon
Thewalkinglexicon marked it as to-read
Feb 16, 2014
Sarah McMillan
Sarah McMillan marked it as to-read
Feb 15, 2014
Kassidy Heil
Kassidy Heil marked it as to-read
Feb 15, 2014
Maddie
Maddie marked it as to-read
Jan 30, 2014
Marte Ottemo
Marte Ottemo marked it as to-read
Jan 30, 2014
Tim
Tim marked it as to-read
Jan 26, 2014
Dorkboy
Dorkboy marked it as to-read
Jan 07, 2014
grumpyhawk
grumpyhawk marked it as to-read
Jan 03, 2014
Merete Aasen
Merete Aasen marked it as to-read
Dec 30, 2013
Adelia Adamhar
Adelia Adamhar marked it as to-read
Dec 29, 2013
Talysha Gutter
Talysha Gutter marked it as to-read
Dec 28, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
James Paul Blaylock is an American fantasy author. He is noted for his distinctive style. He writes in a humorous way: His characters never walk, they clump along, or when someone complains (in a flying machine) that flight is impossible, the other characters agree and show him why he's right.

He was born in Long Beach, California; studied English at California State University, Fullerton, receivin...more
More about James P. Blaylock...
The Last Coin Paper Grail Homunculus The Elfin Ship All The Bells on Earth