Start by marking “The Ebb Tide” as Want to Read:
The Ebb Tide

The Ebb Tide (The Narbondo Series #4)

3.61 of 5 stars 3.61  ·  rating details  ·  69 ratings  ·  10 reviews
A flaming meteor over the Yorkshire Dales, a long-lost map drawn by the lunatic Bill “Cuttle” Kraken, and the discovery of a secret subterranean shipyard beneath the River Thames lead Professor Langdon St. Ives and his intrepid friend Jack Owlesby into the treacherous environs of Morecambe Bay, with its dangerous tides and vast quicksand pits. They descend beneath the sand...more
Published December 31st 2010 by Subterranean Press (first published July 31st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The Ebb Tide, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Ebb Tide

John Onoda
I'm a great fan of James Blaylock. The Ebb Tide is a Langdon St. Ives adventure, which means it's set in early 19th century England, although an England remade by Blaylock's whimsical imagination. There are submarines and walking bathospheres, plucky orphans and unflappable butlers, the threat of an evil dwarf mastermind, and much more. All fun, but this is a story just for fun, so it's all frothy and there isn't much substnace here.
Will Humphreys
Back on form after the disappointing 'Knights of the Cornerstone', Blaylock returns to the wonderful world of 'Steampunk' England. Diabolical villains, curious machines and fabulous and impossible scenery combine into a satisfying, fast-paced and beautifully crafted yarn. My only criticism is that it is too short.

More please.
LP
I'm a fan of steampunk literature, dark and light. This is a somewhat lighter one, although there are harrowing moments. It's also a novella, which I knew going in but which still makes me a little sad because I wanted it to keep going. But what I really appreciate is how skilled the author is at characterization. The characters seem real and I wish I could hang out with them. On to the next adventure!
Fantasy Literature
19th-century London. A quiet evening among more or less renowned gentleman, including the gifted scientist-explorer Langdon St. Ives, at their favorite tavern is interrupted by word that a map to a missing mysterious device has been found. In no time, as chronicled by St. Ives's cohort Jack Owlesby, the group sets off to claim the map and device, racing against the shadowy figure of St. Ives's nemesis, Ignacio Narbondo (now known as Dr. Frosticos).

The first new tale of St. Ives in nearly two dec...more
Frank Taranto
A pretty good short steampunk story set in 19th century England.
Langdon St. Ives is a scientist and an explorer and Jack Owlesby is his partner and storyteller.
The story includes a submarine, an undersea walking machine, an evil professor and a few thugs thrown in.
A fun, young adult book.
David Schwan
This is part of a series of adventures of Langdon St. Ives, a scientist/adventurer set in Victorian London. I loved the descriptions of the book dealer and his shop. The object they are chasing seems almost an afterthought in the story, as is St. Ives nemesis. A quick fun read.
Aaron
I've been reading Blaylock for a few decades now and always enjoy his work. He keeps things lighthearted and whimsical with that British dry humor. Good steampunk that isn't heavy and depressing (it all doesn't have to be).
Shaun Brady
A decent short steampunk story that seemed to suffer from being a short story, it easily could have been part of a much better longer tale.
Matt
A lot of fun, albeit a bit short.

Cheers.
Gurvan
Gurvan marked it as to-read
Oct 03, 2014
Vilde
Vilde marked it as to-read
Sep 23, 2014
Nancy Sampson-Bach
Nancy Sampson-Bach marked it as to-read
Sep 17, 2014
Shannon Lewis
Shannon Lewis marked it as to-read
Sep 10, 2014
Kriti Mishra
Kriti Mishra marked it as to-read
Aug 03, 2014
Joseph
Joseph marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2014
Heather Perkins
Heather Perkins marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2014
Verin
Verin marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2014
Josh Talbot
Josh Talbot marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2014
Jas
Jas marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2014
Mark
Mark marked it as to-read
Jun 10, 2014
Moira Mcglynn
Moira Mcglynn marked it as to-read
May 30, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
James Paul Blaylock is an American fantasy author. He is noted for his distinctive style. He writes in a humorous way: His characters never walk, they clump along, or when someone complains (in a flying machine) that flight is impossible, the other characters agree and show him why he's right.

He was born in Long Beach, California; studied English at California State University, Fullerton, receivin...more
More about James P. Blaylock...
The Last Coin Homunculus Paper Grail The Elfin Ship The Digging Leviathan