Start by marking “The Ebb Tide (Narbondo, #4)” as Want to Read:
The Ebb Tide (Narbondo, #4)

The Ebb Tide (Narbondo #4)

A flaming meteor over the Yorkshire Dales, a long-lost map drawn by the lunatic Bill “Cuttle” Kraken, and the discovery of a secret subterranean shipyard beneath the River Thames lead Professor Langdon St. Ives and his intrepid friend Jack Owlesby into the treacherous environs of Morecambe Bay, with its dangerous tides and vast quicksand pits. They descend beneath the sand ...more
Published December 31st 2010 by Subterranean Press (first published July 31st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The Ebb Tide, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Ebb Tide

William Humphreys
Sep 28, 2009 William Humphreys rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Back on form after the disappointing 'Knights of the Cornerstone', Blaylock returns to the wonderful world of 'Steampunk' England. Diabolical villains, curious machines and fabulous and impossible scenery combine into a satisfying, fast-paced and beautifully crafted yarn. My only criticism is that it is too short.

More please.
Feb 02, 2012 LP rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm a fan of steampunk literature, dark and light. This is a somewhat lighter one, although there are harrowing moments. It's also a novella, which I knew going in but which still makes me a little sad because I wanted it to keep going. But what I really appreciate is how skilled the author is at characterization. The characters seem real and I wish I could hang out with them. On to the next adventure!
Frank Taranto
A pretty good short steampunk story set in 19th century England.
Langdon St. Ives is a scientist and an explorer and Jack Owlesby is his partner and storyteller.
The story includes a submarine, an undersea walking machine, an evil professor and a few thugs thrown in.
A fun, young adult book.
Shaun Brady
Jun 10, 2013 Shaun Brady rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: steampunk
A decent short steampunk story that seemed to suffer from being a short story, it easily could have been part of a much better longer tale.
Fantasy Literature
19th-century London. A quiet evening among more or less renowned gentleman, including the gifted scientist-explorer Langdon St. Ives, at their favorite tavern is interrupted by word that a map to a missing mysterious device has been found. In no time, as chronicled by St. Ives's cohort Jack Owlesby, the group sets off to claim the map and device, racing against the shadowy figure of St. Ives's nemesis, Ignacio Narbondo (now known as Dr. Frosticos).

The first new tale of St. Ives in nearly two dec
Cecilia Rodriguez
St. Ives returns with Jack Owlesby for another adventure.
The plot cleverly blends Vern and Poe with a entertaining result.
Cecilia Rodriguez
Blaylock's plot pays homage to Vern and Poe, while at the same time, he also has a great deal of fun.
Jan 12, 2016 Amanda rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a very short story. I did like it but it was probably my least favorite of all the Blaylock books I've read. I will be reading the next in the series though, The Affair of the Chalk Cliffs.
David Schwan
This is part of a series of adventures of Langdon St. Ives, a scientist/adventurer set in Victorian London. I loved the descriptions of the book dealer and his shop. The object they are chasing seems almost an afterthought in the story, as is St. Ives nemesis. A quick fun read.
May 03, 2010 Aaron rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: steampunk
I've been reading Blaylock for a few decades now and always enjoy his work. He keeps things lighthearted and whimsical with that British dry humor. Good steampunk that isn't heavy and depressing (it all doesn't have to be).
Nov 09, 2013 Matt rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A lot of fun, albeit a bit short.

Rainman marked it as to-read
Oct 16, 2016
Sara marked it as to-read
Oct 14, 2016
The Beav
The Beav marked it as to-read
Oct 09, 2016
William Maynard
William Maynard rated it really liked it
Sep 29, 2016
Scott Ryalls
Scott Ryalls rated it liked it
Oct 01, 2016
Shane Musser
Shane Musser marked it as to-read
Sep 11, 2016
Stefanie is currently reading it
Sep 08, 2016
Al marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2016
Katie Bodden
Katie Bodden marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2016
Marija marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2016
Josh Bales
Josh Bales rated it really liked it
Aug 16, 2016
Greis marked it as to-read
Aug 10, 2016
Ronald Snider
Ronald Snider rated it it was amazing
Jul 27, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • The Great Game (The Bookman Histories, #3)
  • Hearts of Smoke and Steam (The Society of Steam, #2)
  • Flaming London
  • Expedition to the Mountains of the Moon (Burton & Swinburne, #3)
  • Morlock Night
  • Steampunk II: Steampunk Reloaded (Steampunk, #2)
  • The Mammoth Book of Steampunk Adventures
  • Ghosts of War (The Ghost, #2)
  • Romulus Buckle & the Luminiferous Aether (Chronicles of the Pneumatic Zeppelin, #3)
  • Steampunk Holmes: Legacy of the Nautilus
  • Strange Tales From The Scriptorian Vaults
  • The Last Adventure of Dr. Yngve Hogalum (The Magnetron Chronicles, #1)
  • Doktor Glass
  • The Gaslight Dogs (Middle Light, #1)
  • Dead of Veridon (The Burn Cycle #2)
  • The Wrath of Fate: Book 1 of The Airship Pirate Chronicles
  • An Airship Named Desire (Take to the Skies, #1)
  • The Encyclopedia of Fantastic Victoriana
James Paul Blaylock is an American fantasy author. He is noted for his distinctive style. He writes in a humorous way: His characters never walk, they clump along, or when someone complains (in a flying machine) that flight is impossible, the other characters agree and show him why he's right.

He was born in Long Beach, California; studied English at California State University, Fullerton, receivin
More about James P. Blaylock...

Narbondo (9 books)
  • The Digging Leviathan (Narbondo, #1)
  • Homunculus (Narbondo, #2)
  • Lord Kelvin's Machine (Narbondo, #3)
  • The Affair of the Chalk Cliffs (Narbondo, #5)
  • Zeuglodon (Narbondo, #6)
  • The Aylesford Skull (Narbondo, #7)
  • The Adventure of the Ring of Stones (Narbondo, #8)
  • Beneath London (Narbondo, #9)