Start by marking “The Ebb Tide” as Want to Read:
The Ebb Tide

The Ebb Tide (The Narbondo Series #4)

3.53 of 5 stars 3.53  ·  rating details  ·  83 ratings  ·  12 reviews
A flaming meteor over the Yorkshire Dales, a long-lost map drawn by the lunatic Bill “Cuttle” Kraken, and the discovery of a secret subterranean shipyard beneath the River Thames lead Professor Langdon St. Ives and his intrepid friend Jack Owlesby into the treacherous environs of Morecambe Bay, with its dangerous tides and vast quicksand pits. They descend beneath the sand ...more
Published December 31st 2010 by Subterranean Press (first published July 31st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The Ebb Tide, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Ebb Tide

John Onoda
I'm a great fan of James Blaylock. The Ebb Tide is a Langdon St. Ives adventure, which means it's set in early 19th century England, although an England remade by Blaylock's whimsical imagination. There are submarines and walking bathospheres, plucky orphans and unflappable butlers, the threat of an evil dwarf mastermind, and much more. All fun, but this is a story just for fun, so it's all frothy and there isn't much substnace here.
Will Humphreys
Back on form after the disappointing 'Knights of the Cornerstone', Blaylock returns to the wonderful world of 'Steampunk' England. Diabolical villains, curious machines and fabulous and impossible scenery combine into a satisfying, fast-paced and beautifully crafted yarn. My only criticism is that it is too short.

More please.
I'm a fan of steampunk literature, dark and light. This is a somewhat lighter one, although there are harrowing moments. It's also a novella, which I knew going in but which still makes me a little sad because I wanted it to keep going. But what I really appreciate is how skilled the author is at characterization. The characters seem real and I wish I could hang out with them. On to the next adventure!
Frank Taranto
A pretty good short steampunk story set in 19th century England.
Langdon St. Ives is a scientist and an explorer and Jack Owlesby is his partner and storyteller.
The story includes a submarine, an undersea walking machine, an evil professor and a few thugs thrown in.
A fun, young adult book.
Shaun Brady
A decent short steampunk story that seemed to suffer from being a short story, it easily could have been part of a much better longer tale.
Fantasy Literature
19th-century London. A quiet evening among more or less renowned gentleman, including the gifted scientist-explorer Langdon St. Ives, at their favorite tavern is interrupted by word that a map to a missing mysterious device has been found. In no time, as chronicled by St. Ives's cohort Jack Owlesby, the group sets off to claim the map and device, racing against the shadowy figure of St. Ives's nemesis, Ignacio Narbondo (now known as Dr. Frosticos).

The first new tale of St. Ives in nearly two dec
This was a very short story. I did like it but it was probably my least favorite of all the Blaylock books I've read. I will be reading the next in the series though, The Affair of the Chalk Cliffs.
Cecilia Rodriguez
St. Ives returns with Jack Owlesby for another adventure.
The plot cleverly blends Vern and Poe with a entertaining result.
David Schwan
This is part of a series of adventures of Langdon St. Ives, a scientist/adventurer set in Victorian London. I loved the descriptions of the book dealer and his shop. The object they are chasing seems almost an afterthought in the story, as is St. Ives nemesis. A quick fun read.
I've been reading Blaylock for a few decades now and always enjoy his work. He keeps things lighthearted and whimsical with that British dry humor. Good steampunk that isn't heavy and depressing (it all doesn't have to be).
A lot of fun, albeit a bit short.

Stefan Grønvik
Stefan Grønvik marked it as to-read
Oct 04, 2015
Nick added it
Jul 21, 2015
Marty marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2015
Elle marked it as to-read
Jul 03, 2015
Kara marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2015
Loisa added it
Jun 11, 2015
Becky marked it as to-read
Jun 03, 2015
Sarah marked it as to-read
Jun 03, 2015
Alice marked it as to-read
May 22, 2015
Christopher marked it as to-read
May 16, 2015
Gina marked it as to-read
Mar 20, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Leviathan Rising (Pax Britannia, #2)
  • The Great Game (The Bookman Histories, #3)
  • Morlock Night
  • Hearts of Smoke and Steam (The Society of Steam, #2)
  • Full Steam Ahead
  • Captain Nemo
  • Expedition to the Mountains of the Moon (Burton & Swinburne, #3)
  • Flaming London
  • Scourge: A Grim Doyle Adventure (Grim Doyle Adventures, #1)
  • Doktor Glass
  • Steampunk II: Steampunk Reloaded (Steampunk, #2)
  • The Last Adventure of Dr. Yngve Hogalum (The Magnetron Chronicles, #1)
  • Steampunk Holmes: Legacy of the Nautilus
  • Tin Swift (Age of Steam, #2)
  • The Steampunk Bible
  • Steamside Chronicles
  • Ghosts of War (The Ghost, #2)
  • The Gaslight Dogs (Middle Light, #1)
James Paul Blaylock is an American fantasy author. He is noted for his distinctive style. He writes in a humorous way: His characters never walk, they clump along, or when someone complains (in a flying machine) that flight is impossible, the other characters agree and show him why he's right.

He was born in Long Beach, California; studied English at California State University, Fullerton, receivin
More about James P. Blaylock...

The Narbondo Series (6 books)
  • The Digging Leviathan
  • Homunculus
  • Lord Kelvin's Machine
  • The Affair of the Chalk Cliffs (The Narbondo Series, #5)
  • The Aylesford Skull