Start by marking “Secrets of Longevity - Dr. Mao's 8-Week Program: Simple Steps That Add Years to Your Life” as Want to Read:

4.06 of 5 stars 4.06  ·  rating details  ·  178 ratings  ·  23 reviews
Now fans of Secrets of Longevity (over 200,000 copies sold plus 15 translations) can incorporate Dr. Mao's sage health advice into their lives in 8 short weeks. The trick is adopting small habit-forming actions that stick walking for 20 minutes a day, drinking a detox tea, stretching before bed all of which add up to make a big difference in the long run. Dr. Mao expertly ...more
Published December 1st 2010 by Chronicle Books LLC (first published May 4th 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Secrets of Longevity - Dr. Mao's 8-Week Program, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Secrets of Longevity - Dr. Mao's 8-Week Program

Karen
Written by Dr Ni....a 38th generation doctor of Chinese medicine. Think about that....38 generations of doctors in your family...WOW. Lots of good tips, lots of stuff I've never even heard of but basic rules of eating and living a healthy life style.
Taymara Jagmohan
To Maoshing Ni; kudos.
Although I skipped the parts where he included all his fanciful ingredients. In Guyana you don't possess them all. However, the information he breathed into my brain was powerful. Many things I didn't understand, and the secret to longevity was riveted here.

Here are some excellent points;

1. A votre sante (to your health)
2. Eat like a King by Day, like a Pauper by Night.
3. Did you know that sweet potatoes have DHEA (Dehydroepiandrosterone)? Great for the skin and the brain.
Sheila DeChantal
I think as we get uhhhh..... older..... many of us try to make healthier choices in our life style and in our diets. Key word for m here is - TRY. :razz: However, I know first hand that when I do eat right and exercise I feel (and look) better.

Books like this one fascinate me. I love to read up on herbs and spices that burn more calories, or take away headaches, or seem to reduce risks of disease. When I think about all the junk we have added to our diets the last 50 or so years (fast food, res
Tara Schaafsma
Eh, ok. Since I'm generally pretty healthy already, I knew a lot of these things. And others I felt were a little hokey. But there were a few good tips.
Nikki
Ni's book seems designed for people with short attention spans, but I didn't mind that much. My attention span is usually pretty short for self-help books. It's impossible to implement all the suggestions, but if you view it like a menu, I'm sure you can put together a nice multi-course meal from it. There is a heavy emphasis on Chinese philosophy, and it sometimes gets a little woo-woo, like when it suggested that I should reduce my salt intake because I have an oval face, but there are also so ...more
Priya
It's not that I think I'm old and am reading books about how to prolong my life; instead, i am just trying to live my life healthfully well. i love this book so far (only half-way through). It's concise, and it gets the point across. Each page has a new topic. And, with that topic, there is prevention through diet and activity! As a nutritionist, this fact makes me so proud. Please read it and make these small changes. Instead of sluggishly moving along, you may just strut your step. I speak fro ...more
Camryn
Aug 03, 2007 Camryn rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who want to live to 100!
This book is fun to look at and pick things to do for a week. Parts of it are a little repetitive, but overall it's a neat book to pick through and gives you a deeper insight on why to do things to make yourself healthier. An idea I really liked in it was "Weekday Vegetarian, Weekend Carnivore", it mentions how 1/3 of all cancer patients developed their disease as a result of insufficient whole plant fiber in their diets. It's a neat book to take a peek at.
Nikki
I love the focus on balance and how the tips suggest not only what to avoid but what to try in its place. The format seemed a little random to me at first, since each page is a new tip, but I liked that having each page be its own thing made the 300 pages fly by, and if I want to find a particular tip I can use the index for reference. Great comprehensive health guide and definitely one I'm glad to be keeping.
Becca.jensen
A lot of these things are healthy habits for improving your day-to-day quality of life. This is an American-accessible compilation of maintenance habits and natural remedies that are quite easy to implement in the routine of life. If you're having an aneurysm or a baby, get to the ER - if you have chronic neck pain or insomnia - get yourself some natural care.
Cindy
There are several great tips in this book!
It is split-up between:
1. What you eat, 2. How you Heal, 3. Where you Are, 4. What you do, 5. Who you Are (Relationships, Faith, etc.), and it ends with a Chapter titled 6. Bringing it All Together.
I believe this book would be worthwhile for everyone to read.

This is a great book if you are looking for alternatives to your health. I have tried more than a few of the suggestions in this book and they have worked! I think it is a great book and would recommend it to everyone :-) Plus it is really interesting.
Stephen Sanderson
Quality of life is surely a more worthy aspiration than Quantity of life. In saying that living well and living long are inextricably connected. With a good blend of eastern and western wisdom this book offers a wealth of ideas on how to live well.
Jen
Apr 09, 2008 Jen marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
This book has great advice. Some of it I can take away with me now and some of it I will want to rediscover a few years from now. But the healthier eating habits, more water and exercise are what Im going to work on for now.
Gina House
Inspiring and helpful - such a peaceful book for improving your health. I'm on chapter 2 now and I feel like the changes I've made in my life from Chapter 1 are staying with me. Really enjoying this slow and healthy journey.
Andd Becker
This book is a book not just to read, but a book to take notes on. There just might be some ideas presented that could have a major impact on your health.
Krissy
Oct 04, 2008 Krissy rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone!!!
Recommended to Krissy by: Self
One of my favorite books! Fun Fact, Quick-Read pages on over 100 secrets and tips for longer and more concious living.
Amy
fabulous - everyone should read this book and apply it to their life
Sharon
A must read for anyone interested in keeping fit and healthy.
Ross Copping
Has me thinking about some changes in my lifestyle
Lisa
Now I just need to get started on my 8 week plan!
Lori
This book had lots of great tidbits... worth checking out!
Linda Seltenright
Lots of tips to living a healthier, happier, greener life.
Pamela
A few good tidbits, but not much new.
Alexa
Alexa marked it as to-read
May 26, 2015
Marti Morris
Marti Morris marked it as to-read
May 02, 2015
Aaron
Aaron added it
Apr 29, 2015
  • The Okinawa Program: How the World's Longest-Lived People Achieve Everlasting Health--And How You Can Too
  • Healthy at 100: The Scientifically Proven Secrets of the World's Healthiest and Longest-Lived Peoples
  • The Protein Power Lifeplan
  • 50 Secrets of the World's Longest Living People
  • Arriving at Your Own Door: 108 Lessons in Mindfulness
  • Mindful Birthing: Training the Mind, Body, and Heart for Childbirth and Beyond
  • The 150 Healthiest Foods on Earth: The Surprising, Unbiased Truth about What You Should Eat and Why
  • The 100 Simple Secrets of Happy People: What Scientists Have Learned and How You Can Use It
  • Instant Confidence
  • New Day, New You: 366 Devotions for Enjoying Everyday Life
  • 101 Foods That Could Save Your Life
  • Essential Ayurveda: What It Is and What It Can Do for You
  • The Antianxiety Food Solution: How the Foods You Eat Can Help You Calm Your Anxious Mind, Improve Your Mood, and End Cravings
  • Odd Bits: How to Cook the Rest of the Animal
  • The Wish List
  • Lean Forward Into Your Life: Listen Hard, Live with Intention,
  • I Quit Sugar for Life
  • Gut and Psychology Syndrome: Natural Treatment for Autism, ADD/ADHD, Dyslexia, Dyspraxia, Depression, Schizophrenia
The Yellow Emperor's Classic of Medicine: A New Translation of the Neijing Suwen with Commentary Secrets of Self-Healing: Harness Nature's Power to Heal Common Ailments, Boost Your Vitality,and Achieve Optimum Wellness The Tao of Nutrition Second Spring: Dr. Mao's Hundreds of Natural Secrets for Women to Revitalize and Regenerate at Any Age Meditations to Live to Be 100: Traditional Chinese Practices for Health, Vitality & Longevity