Start by marking “Secrets of Longevity: Dr. Mao's 8-Week Program: Simple Steps That Add Years to Your Life” as Want to Read:

Now fans of Secrets of Longevity (over 200,000 copies sold plus 15 translations) can incorporate Dr. Mao's sage health advice into their lives in 8 short weeks. The trick is adopting small habit-forming actions that stick walking for 20 minutes a day, drinking a detox tea, stretching before bed all of which add up to make a big difference in the long run. Dr. Mao expertly ...more
Published July 1st 2010 by Chronicle Books (CA) (first published May 4th 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Secrets of Longevity, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Secrets of Longevity

Priya
May 07, 2009 Priya rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It's not that I think I'm old and am reading books about how to prolong my life; instead, i am just trying to live my life healthfully well. i love this book so far (only half-way through). It's concise, and it gets the point across. Each page has a new topic. And, with that topic, there is prevention through diet and activity! As a nutritionist, this fact makes me so proud. Please read it and make these small changes. Instead of sluggishly moving along, you may just strut your step. I speak fro ...more
Nikki
Aug 28, 2012 Nikki rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ni's book seems designed for people with short attention spans, but I didn't mind that much. My attention span is usually pretty short for self-help books. It's impossible to implement all the suggestions, but if you view it like a menu, I'm sure you can put together a nice multi-course meal from it. There is a heavy emphasis on Chinese philosophy, and it sometimes gets a little woo-woo, like when it suggested that I should reduce my salt intake because I have an oval face, but there are also so ...more
Karen
May 12, 2009 Karen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Written by Dr Ni....a 38th generation doctor of Chinese medicine. Think about that....38 generations of doctors in your family...WOW. Lots of good tips, lots of stuff I've never even heard of but basic rules of eating and living a healthy life style.
Gina House
Mar 21, 2011 Gina House rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Inspiring and helpful - such a peaceful book for improving your health. I'm on chapter 2 now and I feel like the changes I've made in my life from Chapter 1 are staying with me. Really enjoying this slow and healthy journey.
Stephen Sanderson
Quality of life is surely a more worthy aspiration than Quantity of life. In saying that living well and living long are inextricably connected. With a good blend of eastern and western wisdom this book offers a wealth of ideas on how to live well.
Andd Becker
This book is a book not just to read, but a book to take notes on. There just might be some ideas presented that could have a major impact on your health.
Patricia Moses
May 04, 2017 Patricia Moses rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This books has some interesting information. The format is concise for easy reading.
Sheila DeChantal
Aug 28, 2011 Sheila DeChantal rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think as we get uhhhh..... older..... many of us try to make healthier choices in our life style and in our diets. Key word for m here is - TRY. :razz: However, I know first hand that when I do eat right and exercise I feel (and look) better.

Books like this one fascinate me. I love to read up on herbs and spices that burn more calories, or take away headaches, or seem to reduce risks of disease. When I think about all the junk we have added to our diets the last 50 or so years (fast food, res
Taymara Jagmohan
Mar 13, 2012 Taymara Jagmohan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
To Maoshing Ni; kudos.
Although I skipped the parts where he included all his fanciful ingredients. In Guyana you don't possess them all. However, the information he breathed into my brain was powerful. Many things I didn't understand, and the secret to longevity was riveted here.

Here are some excellent points;

1. A votre sante (to your health)
2. Eat like a King by Day, like a Pauper by Night.
3. Did you know that sweet potatoes have DHEA (Dehydroepiandrosterone)? Great for the skin and the brain.
Beverly McCall
Dr. Mao does a great job revealing common sense steps to a healthier life. I like the way he lays the out in each chapter. In the beginning of each chapter the reader takes a pretest. Based on this data, the reader then interacts with the chapter and then creates an action plan. Dr. Mao gleaned his information for his practice. I also like the way he merges Eastern health philosophy and scientific Western medicine. One caveat, this book should be read in hard copy text instead of a Kindle editio ...more
Camryn
Aug 03, 2007 Camryn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who want to live to 100!
This book is fun to look at and pick things to do for a week. Parts of it are a little repetitive, but overall it's a neat book to pick through and gives you a deeper insight on why to do things to make yourself healthier. An idea I really liked in it was "Weekday Vegetarian, Weekend Carnivore", it mentions how 1/3 of all cancer patients developed their disease as a result of insufficient whole plant fiber in their diets. It's a neat book to take a peek at.
Nikki
Dec 28, 2010 Nikki rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction, own-it, health
I love the focus on balance and how the tips suggest not only what to avoid but what to try in its place. The format seemed a little random to me at first, since each page is a new tip, but I liked that having each page be its own thing made the 300 pages fly by, and if I want to find a particular tip I can use the index for reference. Great comprehensive health guide and definitely one I'm glad to be keeping.
Nick Woodall
I really liked this book. Each page is short and sweet, telling you about a technique, herb, or exercise that will help your body be at its peak performance. In fact, I think that I would say that it has so much information in it, that it could be overwhelming. I commend it to tall who desire a more healthy lifestyle.
Cindy
There are several great tips in this book!
It is split-up between:
1. What you eat, 2. How you Heal, 3. Where you Are, 4. What you do, 5. Who you Are (Relationships, Faith, etc.), and it ends with a Chapter titled 6. Bringing it All Together.
I believe this book would be worthwhile for everyone to read.

Becca
Jun 25, 2008 Becca rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A lot of these things are healthy habits for improving your day-to-day quality of life. This is an American-accessible compilation of maintenance habits and natural remedies that are quite easy to implement in the routine of life. If you're having an aneurysm or a baby, get to the ER - if you have chronic neck pain or insomnia - get yourself some natural care.
Jan 10, 2009 Jennifer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a great book if you are looking for alternatives to your health. I have tried more than a few of the suggestions in this book and they have worked! I think it is a great book and would recommend it to everyone :-) Plus it is really interesting.
Jen
Apr 09, 2008 Jen marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
This book has great advice. Some of it I can take away with me now and some of it I will want to rediscover a few years from now. But the healthier eating habits, more water and exercise are what Im going to work on for now.
Tara Schaafsma
Eh, ok. Since I'm generally pretty healthy already, I knew a lot of these things. And others I felt were a little hokey. But there were a few good tips.
Pamela
Mar 02, 2012 Pamela rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
A few good tidbits, but not much new.
Amy
Oct 30, 2011 Amy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
fabulous - everyone should read this book and apply it to their life
Linda Seltenright
Apr 30, 2008 Linda Seltenright rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lots of tips to living a healthier, happier, greener life.
Ross Copping
Sep 03, 2012 Ross Copping rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: health
Has me thinking about some changes in my lifestyle
Krissy
Oct 04, 2008 Krissy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone!!!
Recommended to Krissy by: Self
One of my favorite books! Fun Fact, Quick-Read pages on over 100 secrets and tips for longer and more concious living.
Lisa
Jun 06, 2011 Lisa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011
Now I just need to get started on my 8 week plan!
Lori
This book had lots of great tidbits... worth checking out!
Sarah rated it it was amazing
May 18, 2013
Danielle Meitiv
Danielle Meitiv rated it really liked it
Jan 26, 2015
Victoria L.
Victoria L. rated it it was amazing
May 23, 2012
Tom Meitner
Tom Meitner rated it liked it
Mar 16, 2015
Maggie
Maggie rated it liked it
Apr 06, 2011
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • The Okinawa Program: How the World's Longest-Lived People Achieve Everlasting Health--And How You Can Too
  • Healthy at 100: The Scientifically Proven Secrets of the World's Healthiest and Longest-Lived Peoples
  • The Doctors Book of Food Remedies: The Latest Findings on the Power of Food to Treat and Prevent Health Problems - From Aging and Diabetes to Ulcers and Yeast Infections
  • Sivananda Companion to Yoga
  • The Protein Power Lifeplan
  • Encyclopedia of Healing Foods
  • 50 Secrets of the World's Longest Living People
  • Arriving at Your Own Door: 108 Lessons in Mindfulness
  • Instant Confidence
  • The 150 Healthiest Foods on Earth: The Surprising, Unbiased Truth About What You Should Eat and Why
  • Relaxation Revolution: The Science and Genetics of Mind Body Healing