Start by marking “Curious George's First Day of School” as Want to Read:
Curious George's First Day of School

Curious George's First Day of School (Curious George New Adventures)

"This edition was published by agreement with Houghton Mifflin"--T.p. verso.
Published January 1st 2008 by Spotlight (MN) (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Curious George's First Day of School, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Curious George's First Day of School

Leann Manney
Sep 02, 2015 Leann Manney rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Curious George’s First Day of School is a fantastic, well developed, and also relatable book to almost anyone of age. Curious George is a monkey who was asked to be a “classroom helper” for the first day of school. The book starts its setting in a classroom where the students are engaging in fun activities and George helps them. For example, George helps the kids read, count, play ball, and enjoy snack time. The book takes a turn when it is time for arts and crafts where the students are paintin ...more
Jessica Breighner
It’s the first day of school and George has been invited to Mr. Apple’s class to be a special helper! George is just the right monkey for the job—that is, until he starts to make his usual mischief. A mixture of red and yellow paint makes orange . . . a mixture of yellow and blue makes green. . . . and a mixture of all the paint colors makes a big mess! After a speedy adventure up and down the halls of the school, George and Mr. Apple clean up the classroom—with a little help from George’s new f ...more
Cristina Ortega
Sep 02, 2015 Cristina Ortega rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Though typically children's books that are based off of a tv show are not considered high quality literature I would have to disagree because after reading Curious George's First Day of School by Margret Rey I would have to say that you shouldn't necessarily stay away from all children's books based off tv shows.I found this book to be a very good book for early readers because it's relatable for the children to read a book about a monkey that is nervous yet excited to go to school this makes it ...more
Taylor Railey
Apr 15, 2014 Taylor Railey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics
I loved this book and it would be great to read on the first day of school before talking about classroom rules and having helpers around the classroom.
This book would be fitting for a kindergarten or first grade classroom because students that age still enjoy Curious George and more still watch his show.
This book is about Curious George the monkey being helper in a classroom. The students love him because of how much he helps out with everything. In the middle of the day things get out of han
Anne-thomas Donnelly
Apr 15, 2014 Anne-thomas Donnelly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classic
Curious George's Fist Day of School by Margret Rey is a story of George, a monkey, and his first day at school being a helper. George was more than excited to be going to school! He could not wait. George helped the students with their math, reading, and recess. But when art time came around that is when the trouble began. George was curious, as usual, to see what would happen when the paint colors were mixed together. Although he didn't mean to, George ended up making a big mess! But in the end ...more
Sep 07, 2016 Katie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Preschool prep

I used this as a tool to help prepare my four year old on switching from daycare to preschool. It worked great.
Casey Anderson
Apr 24, 2012 Casey Anderson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I think that the Curious George books are terrific books for young children! I particularly liked this one where he went to school and was a helper. It shows children the importance of being a helper at times, and how to help someone else when they need it.

Activity extension: Give each child several different cups of different colors of paint including red, blue, yellow, black, white and any other you would want to add. Also give children plastic spoons to mix with and several empty bowls. Instr
Get ready! Its the first day of school, and George was invited! George was invited by a teacher to help in the first day of school. He does a great job until, he gets curious about the paint colors. After he makes a huge mess, he gets in trouble by the teacher, janitor, and principal. All his new school friends felt bad for George and helped him clean up the mess. Everyone is no longer upset with him and he is invited back to school again. This book is great to read for the first day of school a ...more
Jasmine George
Aug 22, 2012 Jasmine George rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Curious George is known for being a popular book and after this series i still feel it will always be a popular book. This book is great to read for a child's first day of school. It also has many lessons that children can learn from.

Learning Experiance:

In this book there was an incident where George only had had three colors (red, blue and yellow)but George wanted to make more colors. I can teach the kids how to mix colors by providing those three colors in paint and have them do an experiment
Kelsey Scherer
Aug 23, 2013 Kelsey Scherer rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My new favorite book! This book was given to me as a gift and it is perfect for the first day of school! It is the story of how curious George has been invited into a classroom, to help throughout the school year. He is so excited to be there and help out that he doesn't realize all of the mistakes and messes he has created. In the end, all of the students love him, and he is invited back for more!
Bryce Skiles
I liked this book. I think it would be a good book to read to a kindergarten class or preschool class on the first day of school. It is a good book to show that on the first day you come in not knowing what to expect and wanting to be a good student and do fun things and help but it can cause a mess. Also that you will make friends on the first day and they will be there through the whole year with you to help you out.
Mar 12, 2016 Laura rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
George goes to school to help on the first day. Everything started out fine, until the paint got out of control. Will he be able to get out of this mess?

This book has a nice addition of teaching colors while George is mixing paints.

Curious George is one of my favorite characters. Like most young children, he gets into trouble accidentally then has to get out of the mess he has caused. I think he is very easy for kids to identify with and this series is easy and fun to read.
Beyond the Pages
I loved Curious George's First Day of School! What's not to love about this cute, little guy who just wants to learn, understand, and do his best to help out? In this book, George helps alright. He helps the teacher, the kids in his classroom, the janitor, the principal and even himself in typical Curious George style. This book is funny, charming, and educational. That's the treat with George - there is always something to be learned. :-)

I secured this title from my local library.
Brittany Wood
Jan 25, 2015 Brittany Wood rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: school
Curious George's First Day of School would be a great book to read to students on the first day of school. This book is appropriate for five to eight year old children. In this book, George the monkey shows all his classmates how to be a great helper. The illustrations in the book show children how to help each other in all areas of the classroom. The book touched on the areas of social and emotional development as well as approaches to play and learning.
Jan 16, 2014 Savannah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
George makes new colors in school but makes a mess so he tries to clean it up. It was perfect timing when we came across this story in Curious George Stories to Share because my 5 year old D just brought home an artist pallet with all six colors. Red, yellow, and blue. He explained that he mixed the three to get orange, green and purple.
Jade Detzer
This book showcases a prime lesson throughout. Even though George made a big mess, he did his best to help clean it up and his friends and classmates all pitched in to help him out as well. This book would be a good one to read on the first day of school to a younger grade level to show them that lending a helping hand gets things done efficiently.
Rebellion Violetta
Feb 02, 2016 Rebellion Violetta rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bought
Buku yang bagus, saya suka dengan tokoh George si monyet pintar yang selalu ingin tahu banyak hal.

Tokoh George dapat menjadi teladan yang baik bagi anak tanpa ada niat menggurui. Membaca bersama dengan anak jadi menyenangkan karena gambarnya bagus serta menarik.

Saya akan mengoleksi buku George seri lainnya
Myriam B.
Oct 24, 2013 Myriam B. rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children
I like this book because when a child is really trying to do something good, but they sometimes make a mess. I could understand Curious George was really trying to help and I like how they all help him out.

LE: I will ask the children to practice helping others doing clean up time. I will ask them go to one of their classmate and ask to help fix the blocks or the dramatic center.

Mark balson
This was a book that I read to my grandson when he was five and started asking about going to school. We read the book a couple of times byt this was not one of his favorites. He just wanted some assurances that no monkeys would be at his school. Once we did that he was good.
Margaret Chind
Oct 27, 2012 Margaret Chind rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Finally a George Kindle book without double text! This is a cute little Curious George book about the first day of school where George gets to visit and be a helper for the day. Pretty good for building thoughts and sequence what happens next conversations.
Shelby Deghand
Feb 25, 2015 Shelby Deghand rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a fun book that turns making a mess into a great teamwork activity. Even though George messes up, that doesn't effect his relationship with the other students. I really liked this book because it teaches good life lessons and is fun at the same time.
Sep 22, 2014 Sgivens rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A cute story about George's first day of school. He is a great helper for the students all day but there was a time when his help just caused disaster. There is a great lesson taught with this story, if you help others they will help you in return.
Jan 07, 2016 Anidos rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
First of all, thanks to Mizan's year-end sale, I got 3 titles of the series for 5k IDR each.

The story is just like what I used to watch on TV--George did something, George messed up, George solved the problem (which I liked!)--but the picture is less impressive.
Jan 05, 2014 Anna rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Part of the Kohls' Cares program.

Classic George tale. He starts school, makes a big mess in the classroom, makes a bigger mess trying to help out, but eventually makes things right.

Brought to the boys December 2013.
Nov 18, 2010 Dianna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My four-year-old son loved this one. George goes to help out the first day of school and makes a big mess (of course!). Then everyone helps clean up.
Sep 19, 2009 Sheila rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book to read on the first day of school. It even reviews topics such as blending colors of paint to make new colors!
Jul 05, 2013 Teri rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Oh, that cute little Curious George. Trying to help, but making a bigger mess. I think I can relate;) Another cute story with colorful, fun illustrations.
Jenn Swanson
Jun 04, 2016 Jenn Swanson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: quickie, fiction, children
Having a monkey help out at school can sometimes be helpful but most likely not. My daughter enjoyed this story and George's antics. I liked the illustrations.
Shaun Dixon
Sep 01, 2016 Shaun Dixon rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book

My son loves Curious George. Always great reads and George is always quick to get into mischief. I recommend this book to everyone.
Aug 20, 2015 Alice rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A good book to entertain children. However, the book teaches a lesson of responsibility and cleaning up your own messes. Also, this book teaches students to help others. Good book!
GOOD BOOOK 2 2 Sep 05, 2007 02:14PM
GOOD BOOOK 1 2 Sep 04, 2007 06:07PM
  • Snowy Day (Curious George)
  • Dizzy
  • I Am Too Absolutely Small for School
  • Franklin Fibs
  • Amelia Bedelia's First Day of School
  • The Night Before Kindergarten
  • Pirates Go to School
  • The Bears in the Bed and the Great Big Storm
  • D.W.'s Guide to Preschool
  • Star Wars: What Is A Wookiee? (DK Readers)
  • The Best Teacher Ever
  • I Love School!
  • The Christmas Story
  • One Mitten
  • Froggy Goes to School
  • Disney Tangled (Little Golden Book)
  • Noni The Pony
  • Maisy Goes to Preschool: A Maisy First Experiences Book
Margret Elizabeth Rey (May 16, 1906 – December 21, 1996), born Margarete Elisabeth Waldstein, was (with her husband H. A. Rey), the co-author and illustrator of children's books, best known for their Curious George

Although she was born in Germany, she fled to Brazil early in her life to escape Nazism. While there, she met her future husband Hans (who was a salesman and also from Germany). They mar
More about Margret Rey...

Curious George New Adventures (1 - 10 of 47 books)
  • Curious George Goes to the Aquarium