Start by marking “Excuse Me, But I Was Next...” as Want to Read:
Excuse Me, But I Was Next...

Excuse Me, But I Was Next...

3.2 of 5 stars 3.20  ·  rating details  ·  164 ratings  ·  37 reviews
Have you ever been annoyed by cell phone yakkers, line cutters, or movie chatterers? Been confused about who pays at a restaurant? Received a gift you hated? Fumed over how to respond to a nosy question? America's etiquette expert Peggy Post comes to the rescue in this concise, readable handbook devoted to the top 100 etiquette issues everyone wonders about. You'll learn h ...more
Published October 6th 2009 by HarperCollins e-books (first published October 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Excuse Me, But I Was Next..., please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Excuse Me, But I Was Next...

Bree
A lot of this was common sense if you were raised properly. You just need to stop and think before you do something and really you should never ask a woman when she is due, ever, unless you have seen the sonogram. Save yourself the embarrassment! Many of the place settings and table items I was unaware of because I have never gone/hosted a formal dinner. I also have never been to a restaurant that has a "captain" who is the lead server of the night and probably never will as that kind of place m ...more
Sharon
At my stage in life this was not a particularly useful book since it covered a lot of issues about weddings, childrens' behaviors, etc. Some of the answers were embarrassingly obvious--like cover your mouth if you sneeze or cough at the dining table, get help if you're choking on a piece of food, and don't use dental floss at the table. On the other hand, she encourages writing thank you notes for wedding gifts within 3 months (I would have thought one month more appropriate, some of my friends ...more
Hanna
For someone who is always trying to improve herself, this book was a necessary stepping stone in the betterment of myself. This book points out dilemmas that I have been a part of and dilemmas that I hope to never see. It is nice to see that some people still care about etiquette and manners. Everyone who needs to download a little class needs to read this (and it's good for those of us who already have manners... everyone can improve!).
Bala
This is an interesting book on all things manners. I liked it.

Precise questions and concise answers. I listened to the audio version. The reader has done a great job.
Oleg Kagan
I've read this book in spurts during quiet times at the reference desk and during short breaks at work. For that kind of in-between reading requiring little attention this book was ideal.

Broken up into short chapters, each starting with a question-and-answer, Peggy Post's book is an easy way to learn the basics of etiquette, look up FAQs, and be reminded of specifics. Her advice is not complicated, mainly consisting of the refrain: be considerate of others.

For a comprehensive guide to western e
Alyce
The best thing about this book is the title. But it doesn't even deliver on its promise. My 100 year old etiquette book is more useful- and better written.
Christina
I saw this book at an end cap at the library and it piqued my interest. For the most part, I thought the advice offered in the book was completely obvious. I kept expecting great pearls of wisdom and this book definitely didn't offer that. However, with the short easy chapters and the anticipation of what terrible things some people do right around the next page, I kept reading. I found it very easy to pick up and put down. I can’t say that I learned a whole bunch but I enjoyed it and it got me ...more
Rachel
Picked this up randomly from the library with the idea I needed some pithy or polite one-liners and strategies for navigating Sticky Situations. Also, I wasn't ready to switch to my kids with cancer fiction yet though I know the writing will be leap years ahead.

A fair portion didn't seem applicable to life on the Left Coast but overall found it useful nonetheless. Also also, made me feel tons better about the fact that my future MIL arranged a bridal shower for me (I feared it was an etiquette
Hilary
Surprisingly interesting even though it's about etiquette. (OK, who am I kidding -- I read advice columns too.) I did find it relatively up to date; it didn't have advice about eating french fries with a knife and fork or anything like that. I liked the underlying viewpoint: that etiquette is about being honest while also making others feel comfortable -- so don't lie when making excuses, but behave as the situation dictates and according to social norms, not according to possibly outdated rules ...more
Cassandra
Eh, it was okay. Some useful suggestions sprinkled into the chapters, but on the whole it seemed like a bunch of miscellaneous manners advice was thrown every which way onto the pages, grouped loosely into very short chapters that didn't quite hang together. Also, at least one third of the pages were completely blank. If I'd paid for this book I'd feel ripped off. As it is, I'm taking it back to the library tomorrow, and moving on to something better.
Sandy
An interesting book with lots of good information on manners and etiquette, however it is by no means complete or comprehensive. This would be a good book to read when trying to learn more about manners, but it is definitely not a comprehensive reference book on manners or etiquette. (I didn't read this book cover to cover, just skimmed through it as I prepared to teach a group of teens a class on etiquette.)
Melinda Seyler
Mar 12, 2013 Melinda Seyler rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Melinda by: newleaph@gmail.com
"Excuse Me, But I Was Next...." by Peggy Post
Does it count as reading when you can skim a book in less than 3 hours? It was interesting but entirely predictable. All well and good to say the fall back position for a rude question is "Why do you ask?", but some really rude questions can't be answered that way. Most of this I already knew and the rest I'm not sure I agree with.
Mako
This book was filled with entertaining scenarios, some of which I hope I never encounter (writing scathing e-mail about boss and then sending to boss)and more importanty how to tip appropriately. Good manners never go out of style. If you have ever wanted to read people the riot act, you will find that it is not appropriate to point out peoples mistakes!~arrgh....
Charity
This book spells out etiquette by answering questions about how to respond in situations that call for good manners. I realized upon reading this book that I have unknowingly committed many of the faux pas cited within. So, if you have ever inwardly shaken your head at my manners, know it was in ignorance. No longer. Now I will plead imperfection.:)

jenna
A fun, quick read. Well organized and concise. I find etiquette books very enjoyable to read and interesting, as well as useful. Having read many, I appreciated this one as a modern addendum. It includes many situations that pertain to adults with and without children; i.e. dinner parties, some dating, fashion, etc.
Anne
I enjoyed this for the light reading and reminders of etiquette. I especially enjoyed the chapter on cell phones. Apparently we really don't have a year to give a gift following a wedding. That's an urban myth. Also, apparently it's not best to ask a widow whether the spouse had life insurance!
Rose
This is an okay book. It's a much shorter version of Emily Post's Etiquette. As in, most of the passages are verbatim out of that larger, more comprehensive book.

It's treated as more of a question and answer format than a Compendium of All Etiquette that was the larger book.
Richard Stephenson
I liked it.

I may be the untypical guy, but most of this seemed rather "common sense" to me. That doesn't mean I didn't like hearing some corroborating evidence, though! :) A couple of these were new to me and I can see this as a nice primer to a journey down etiquette lane.
Carol
This book reminded me of the time I mistook an older sister for "the mom" when talking to a few customers at work. This is a quick fun review with the advice such as,putting off nosy questions with a laugh and complaining to mgmt instead of making a scene.
Milah
I tend to be too nice to strangers and I picked this up in hopes of getting polite ways to be more assertive.I enjoyed it, skipping over a few chapters that weren't of interest to me, but laughing at some of the other situations (having been there).
Linda
Mostly YAWN! First of all, this was an abridged book, which I don't normally read. I think I would have preferred much more humor rather than this typical by-the-book etiquette lesson. Helped the hours at work drone away.
Amber
Hey! My etiquette isn't as bad as I feared even if I didn't know how to seat dignitaries at a dinner party. Now if only we could get this book into the hands of all those loud cell phone users and deli-counter line jumpers.
Chris
Don't know why, but I like reading etiquette books. I find them interesting, and I liked this one. It had lots of practical, every day dilemmas, apart from what fork to use with fish and all that fussy stuff.
Rachel
I liked reading this, it helped remind me of my manners...I also learned some things I need to work on. Great source for what do to in uncomfortable situations.
Dani
It was more enjoyable than I thought. I picked it up and just started reading, the only down side is I feel so rude now! Haha! Oh well, always room for improvement.
Cindy
I picked this up to just look at it and read it from cover to cover. It was very interesting and informative. It's a great light read and a wonderful manners review.
Ashley
Jul 16, 2012 Ashley marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
Had to return this to the library before I finished it. Mostly common sense, but a good refresher. Should check it out and finish it sometime.
Leslie
This is a quick read with advice for a variety of social situations. I'll probably pick up a copy for my teen daughter. ;)
James
80% of this book could have been related in one well-composed paragraph.

It would have made a wonderful pamphlet.
Lindsay
Interesting, quick read. Lots of common sense items, but good reminders on things I don't remember as much as I should!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • The Civility Solution: What to Do When People Are Rude
  • The Real Simple Guide to Real Life: Adulthood made easy.
  • You: Being Beautiful: The Owner's Manual to Inner and Outer Beauty
  • The Fabulous Girl's Guide to Decorum
  • Comfortably Numb: How Psychiatry Is Medicating a Nation
  • The Cheap Chica's Guide to Style: Secrets to Shopping Cheap and Looking Chic
  • Hungry Girl Official Survival Guides
  • Sons of Providence: The Brown Brothers, the Slave Trade, and the American Revolution
  • A Life Like Mine: How Children Live Around the World
  • They Have a Word for It: A Lighthearted Lexicon of Untranslatable Words & Phrases
  • Where Have All the Soldiers Gone?: The Transformation of Modern Europe
  • How To Live Like A Lady: Lessons in Life, Manners, and Style
  • Style Bible: What to Wear to Work
Peggy Post, Emily Post’s great-granddaughter-in-law, is a director of The Emily Post Institute and the author of more than twelve etiquette books. In March, 2011, Peggy began a new question and answer column with the New York Times called The Well-Mannered Wedding. The column aims to address modern day wedding conundrums and provide advice for the soon-to-be-wed.

Currently, Peggy is actively invol
More about Peggy Post...
Emily Post's Etiquette Emily Post's Wedding Etiquette Emily Post's The Etiquette Advantage in Business: Personal Skills for Professional Success Emily Post's The Gift of Good Manners: A Parent's Guide to Raising Respectful, Kind, Considerate Children Emily Post's Entertaining