Start by marking “Something Like Summer (Something Like #1)” as Want to Read:
Something Like Summer (Something Like #1)

Something Like Summer (Something Like #1)

4.15  ·  Rating Details ·  6,064 Ratings  ·  826 Reviews
Love, like everything in the universe, cannot be destroyed. But over time it can change.

The hot Texas nights were lonely for Ben before his heart began beating to the rhythm of two words; Tim Wyman. By all appearances, Tim had the perfect body and ideal life, but when a not-so-accidental collision brings them together, Ben discovers that the truth is rarely so simple. If w
Published January 5th 2011 by Smashwords (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Something Like Summer, please sign up.

This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Karen111 Great. Won't need to read it now - thanks for that :(

Susan
Feb 01, 2013 Susan rated it it was ok

2.5 Stars.

Here. *hands over GR membership card*

It’s at this point that it’s clear I’M the issue. Everyone LOVED this book. Me? I’m just barely above strongly disliking it.

I’ll try to do this without any major spoilers:

* I didn’t find teenaged Ben or Tim to be that likeable or charming.
* The entire “Part 2” portion was slow and boring.
* I hate love triangles.
* Adult Tim is creepy, overbearing, desperate, borderline pathetic and a stalker.
* Adult Ben is irresponsible, overly emotional, inapprop
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)

*2.5 stars*

HOLY CRAP. This book exhausted me in every way.

This isn't going to be a review, review. I'm simply just going to blurt out some thoughts. Some will be spoiler-tagged. *Help me organize my thoughts, Beyoncé*

Tim is an obsessed, narcissistic stalker. All of that stuff he did to Ben and Jace in Ben's college years. *fumes* I see some of my fellow readers loving Tim, but I can't even COUNT the number of times I've bitch-slapped him in my head. His face is all red and ugly looking right n
Kelly (and the Book Boar)
Find all of my reviews at: http://52bookminimum.blogspot.com/

Look at that bright and shiny 4.17 Goodreads rating. You know what that means, right?

Palm Springs commercial photography

Usually I’m willing to take the hit and say it was me, but not this time. I picked up Something Like Summer mainly because it was free, but also because the synopsis interested me. I bumped it up on my TBR because the cover was pretty. (I’m more than willing to admit I’m shallow.) Alright, so this was the story of Ben and Tim, the new boy around the
Breann
***Audio edition re-read***

Just as good as the first time.

Ben and his two great loves. Neither is better than the other and neither is stronger than the other. Just different. Different, but equally perfect and fitting for Ben.

__________________________________________

This is a review for both Something Like Summer and Something Like Winter since I don't see a way to talk about one without the other.

“Why couldn't people's insides match their outsides? The world would be such a wonderful place
Isa K.
Mar 09, 2012 Isa K. rated it it was ok
Meh~

Just meh~ This book is basically two books sold as one. Part 1 on its own would have gotten 3 stars from me. It was okay, kind of uninspiring YA, but it steered away from all the melodrama I was expecting. That counts for something.

I'm a strong believer in judging YA-themed stories by the adult characters. Our cast in Something Like Summer includes many of the usual cliches: Rich Neglectful Parents, Abusive Controlling Tyrants, People So Liberal in Child Rearing It Borders on Criminal (other
June Helmsley
Holy Fucking Shit!

That's what this book should be retitled, or maybe that can be the subtitle. I don't know, I'll get back to you on that. Either way, it needs a lot of exclamation points because Holy FuckSandwich does this book kick so much ass.

When reading fiction, it bothers me when I don't care about the characters, or even worse, a goddamn contrived love triangle that bores me when it should interest me. Not here! I was so emotionally invested in these characters that I lost my shit when ba
Vivian
Mar 18, 2016 Vivian rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya, own, catharsis
This... THIS is why I'd never want to relive my teenage years.

All that doubt, wondering, alienation---Ugh. Ben is a great narrator. At times, you want to cringe and others cheer, but like life, it has its ups and downs. To know something about yourself at a young age that makes you significantly different is an experience that isolates. Growth is different, changed and lonely.

Ben's early teen years came with a harsh lesson. Not all epiphanies lead to happiness. But like a good sword, it gets st
Camille
Oh my god! Okay *exhale*
Full gamut of emotions. Haven't cried over a book in a while...now I need something funny to read...

(A couple days later): After being unable to write more than the above for a review, being so overwhelmed, I've decided to make my reply my review :-)

"I wasn't expecting anything like this. From the description, the cover and the beginning I thought that this was just going to be a light YA read. Not at all. It was really compelling in the that it examines idealism of the
.Lili.
Jun 11, 2014 .Lili. rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m
Well this was me last night (view spoiler)(view spoiler)

And to be honest I never quite recovered from that. This is kind of a hard book to rate. For a majority of the story this was a 5 star read. I loved how the author handled the coming of age part of the story. It was cute, full of angst, yet also innocent. Loved that the author wasn't afraid to add sex to that part of the book. I know adding sex to a YA book is
Kaje Harper
Jul 17, 2012 Kaje Harper rated it really liked it
This is a book about a first love that lingers. Ben's evolution as a gay man begins with a teenage crush on Tim, and like imprinting, Tim becomes fixed in Ben's core as the embodiment of the man he loves. Throughout their early days of hiding, of unequal partnering, rejection, and through all the years to follow, Tim remains somehow an essential part of Ben.

In the years they are apart, Ben meets a guy who is better for him in every way. Open, loving, out and responsible, Jace is a wonderful char
* N aka Nikki
Jan 03, 2016 * N aka Nikki rated it it was ok
Shelves: angst-town, virgins
This started out hands-down a 5-star read, but I am so angry about what happened at 95% that I have to rate this 2 stars. Actually, the anger set in earlier, I was just hoping things would turn out differently.

I feel so emotionally manipulated. And not in a satisfying way!

*grumbles and checks Kindle for damage*
Edina Rose
Aug 23, 2011 Edina Rose rated it liked it
Natalie
I really struggled with how to rate this. When I give a two-star rating, it's usually because the writing was mediocre or the plot bored me. Not so with this story. I was into it. I inhaled it in anxious gulps, desperate to get to the end. I read the spoilers beforehand. I knew what was going to happen. But I HATED how it unfolded. It was the author's job to make me love Tim, and he failed.

I'm going to start the second book right now, because apparently I'm a glutton for punishment, but mostly b
Sara
I know I say it often, "How do I review this book?" but honestly, how do I? I picked up Something like Summer (twice actually not realizing my blunder) because I was drawn to the bright orange of the cover with that bit of blue that caught my eye every time. One Sunday, when I was stuck in bed I wanted a book to bring my spirits up so I started this. What happened was me being sucked into a book that I did not stop reading until I was done.

Ben, what a strong character at such a young age. I wis
Josy
4.5 stars rounded up to 5 stars - highly recommended

I'm in love with this book. Seriously, I am. From reading the blurb I wasn't expecting anything like I got. While listening to the audio I had a variety of emotions and when a book accomplishes that, it's usually a good one for me. I laughed and cried, was angry and happy, I cringed and leaped for joy.

The characters with all their flaws felt genuine even if I had to shake my head every now and then at their actions. Despite covering a stretch o
Alvin
Jun 11, 2014 Alvin rated it liked it
SLIGHTLY PREDICTABLE BUT A WELL-WRITTEN ROMANCE BOOK.

BUDDY READ with John and Lili:
Lili's review

I had a hard time rating this and also might have a hard time reviewing it. I wanna say a lot of things!!! But I will cover those that's on the top of my mind.

Ben

PART 1:
I loved this part! If the book was just this, I can give a 4-5 star rating! I loved both Ben and Tim here. It was honest and even though what they had (view spoiler)
Trisha Harrington
A lot of people loved this book, but I have seen people who agreed with me, so at least I'm not alone when it comes to this book. When it came to this book, I was so excited to read it. From the blurb, I thought this would become a fast favourite of mine. The blurb wasn't really the best thing to go by, and that was what I did go by. Not the reviews, (I didn't read any before I read this) but the blurb.

From the blurb, I got the impression that this would be about Ben and Tim. And that was true,
Marc | Rainbow Gold Reviews
Jun 17, 2013 Marc | Rainbow Gold Reviews rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I loved this book ;) It reminded me of the YA series "Infernal Devices" in that it shows that there is not always only one person we could love, but that a lot depends on the right timing. A person can find happiness in different ways, but there is a right time and place for everything and every action has consequences. Life doesn't stop, it just continues around us and our choices shape the way our life continues, even if we would like it to go into another way. There are mistakes and regrets, ...more
L-D
This book was exquisite. Tim and Ben are teenagers at the same school and they begin a secret relationship. This book charts 12 years in the life of Ben with all of the highs and lows. Quite honestly, this book was an emotional roller coaster that left me completely wrung out at the end. Some readers have liked the ending, some do not. To me, the ending is not important, it was the journey and the strength and spectrum of the emotions that it invoked in me. I really loved this book.

Below is a t
John Inman
Jan 01, 2016 John Inman rated it it was amazing
A beautiful book. Different. The writing was exquisite. Jay Bell did a terrific job of putting this story together, not following the usual lines of other writers of romance, but steering off a couple of times into directions I didn't see coming and didn't expect. I'll think about this one for a while, I think. I hope Tim and Ben get the happiness they've always been destined for.
wesley
Nov 02, 2014 wesley rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This is the first M/M YA book that I’ve read and I cannot be grateful enough that I did read it because it has helped me come to terms with my sexuality. Being born in a country where both the state and the church have forged ideals of what should be the norm, being gay included, has forced people like me to hide deep in the closet. But after reading this early this year, the entire Something Like Series in fact, and hundreds of M/M books after that, I can at least say that I am now honest with ...more
Mason
Jun 25, 2016 Mason rated it did not like it
Shelves: lgbtqap, audiobooks
I'd like to say I enjoyed at least the first half of this, like so many other people seem to do. But I didn't. Teenage Ben's behavior is incredibly creepy, bordering on scary.

And then the time jump and the role's are totally reversed. Tim becomes this total overbearing creep (and at points it seems like what he does borders on assault), Ben becomes this irresponsible person who cheats on a loving and supportive boyfriend, then said boyfriend is killed off as a last ditch effort to get two toxic
Silk
Aug 11, 2016 Silk rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lgbtq
Overall this is about Benjamin Bentley's life throughout the time span of over a decade. I won't get into too much detail 'cause I'd rather not give any spoilers.

"Love isn't meant to be hidden away. Life is too short for shame."

His story starts out with Tim. His unrequited love which later on proceeded to become dysfunctional love. From the book's description and until I got through the first 100 pages, I genuinely expected this to be a "high school sweetheart" kind of story but, oh boy, I was
Jo
Oct 25, 2014 Jo rated it really liked it
Recommended to Jo by: Justin2 and Breann
Kassa
Feb 07, 2011 Kassa rated it really liked it
Something Like Summer is a moving coming of age story that will definitely appeal to readers. Unfortunately I didn’t particularly like the main character in Ben but in many ways this is completely subjective. He happened to touch on a few personal pet peeves that are unlikely to bother other readers, although the issue of fidelity may be a problem for some. The writing though is very engaging, bringing you into Ben’s journey with an absorbing intimacy. Although this isn’t a fast paced read, it’s ...more
Wade
I read this in 2012, and the review below is for the ebook I read.
In 2016 I listened to the audio and then decided to re rate it to 5 stars. I think because this book made me yell at the characters for their choices. When I'm so emotional invested that I'm yelling at the characters, for me that's should be 5 stars.

I think the difference is in audio. I LISTEN closer to the story when I'm listening than reading. When I read-only I read slow, and sometimes I skip things. I'm not a very good reader,
Maddie
Mar 01, 2012 Maddie rated it it was ok
DaisyGirl
5.0 Stars

Wow. Just ... wow. I. Am. Beat. In Something Like Summer, Ben tells us of his first love (Tim), his second love (Jace), and his life in between. It was riveting. I enjoyed the characters and the overall storyline. I loved Ben's indomitable spirit and optimism. Tim was sexy as all get out but ... well, you know. (If you don't, read this book!) And, lastly, Jace ... *sigh* I love, Love, LOVE Jace. Period.

This book wrung me out. I laughed, I cried, I threw my Kindle, I cried some more. In
Mateo
May 30, 2015 Mateo rated it did not like it
*0.5*

Una novela que quizás, lo más atractivo que tuvo fueron las primeras páginas. Fue una historia que lo más probable Jay Bell fue creando en el momento, ya que hay relleno con cosas cómicamente absurdas. Para mi es una buena calificación, ya que me hizo reír de lo irracional. Media estrella es más que suficiente.

Vicki
Jan 16, 2015 Vicki rated it it was amazing
Shelves: borrowed, m-m, kindle, ya
This book was just brilliant and I loved every moment of it. My emotions took such a hit, one minute I was laughing, then crying...sigh.
The Challenge Fac...: Krissy & Nichole - Something Like Summer 28 14 Jun 15, 2016 04:33AM
John, Alvin, & Lili BR :) 71 35 Jun 17, 2014 11:41PM
  • Trust Me
  • The Cranberry Hush
  • Enlightened (Little Boy Lost, #1)
  • The Price of Falling
  • Raise Your Glass (Tales from Foster High, #3)
  • The Zero Knot
  • The Locker Room
  • Bear, Otter, and the Kid (Bear, Otter, and the Kid, #1)
  • After Ben (Seattle Stories, #1)
  • My Summer of Wes (Wes & Mal, #1)
  • Superhero
  • Social Skills
  • Play Me, I'm Yours
  • How to Repair a Mechanical Heart
  • American Love Songs
Jay Bell never gave much thought to Germany until he met a handsome foreign exchange student. At that moment, beer and pretzels became the most important thing in the world. After moving to Germany and getting married, Jay found himself desperate to communicate the feelings of alienation, adventure, and love that surrounded this decision, and has been putting pen to paper ever since.
More about Jay Bell...

Something Like (7 books)
  • Something Like Winter (Something Like #2)
  • Something Like Autumn (Something Like #3)
  • Something Like Spring (Something Like #4)
  • Something Like Lightning (Something Like #5)
  • Something Like Thunder (Something Like, #6)
  • Something Like Rain (Something Like, #8)

“Love isn’t meant to be hidden away and life is too short for shame.” 229 likes
“There’s a coward and a fool, and both of them are you, My heart is cracked and broken, but yours is frozen through.” 111 likes