Start by marking “Something Like Summer (Something Like #1)” as Want to Read:
Something Like Summer (Something Like #1)

Something Like Summer (Something Like #1)

4.19 of 5 stars 4.19  ·  rating details  ·  4,616 ratings  ·  624 reviews
Love, like everything in the universe, cannot be destroyed. But over time it can change.

The hot Texas nights were lonely for Ben before his heart began beating to the rhythm of two words; Tim Wyman. By all appearances, Tim had the perfect body and ideal life, but when a not-so-accidental collision brings them together, Ben discovers that the truth is rarely so simple. If w
Published January 5th 2011 by Smashwords (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Something Like Summer, please sign up.

This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Karen111 Great. Won't need to read it now - thanks for that :(

Susan

2.5 Stars.

Here. *hands over GR membership card*

It’s at this point that it’s clear I’M the issue. Everyone LOVED this book. Me? I’m just barely above strongly disliking it.

I’ll try to do this without any major spoilers:

* I didn’t find teenaged Ben or Tim to be that likeable or charming.
* The entire “Part 2” portion was slow and boring.
* I hate love triangles.
* Adult Tim is creepy, overbearing, desperate, borderline pathetic and a stalker.
* Adult Ben is irresponsible, overly emotional, inapprop
Breann
***Audio edition re-read***

Just as good as the first time.

Ben and his two great loves. Neither is better than the other and neither is stronger than the other. Just different. Different, but equally perfect and fitting for Ben.

__________________________________________

This is a review for both Something Like Summer and Something Like Winter since I don't see a way to talk about one without the other.

“Why couldn't people's insides match their outsides? The world would be such a wonderful place
June Helmsley
Holy Fucking Shit!

That's what this book should be retitled, or maybe that can be the subtitle. I don't know, I'll get back to you on that. Either way, it needs a lot of exclamation points because Holy FuckSandwich does this book kick so much ass.

When reading fiction, it bothers me when I don't care about the characters, or even worse, a goddamn contrived love triangle that bores me when it should interest me. Not here! I was so emotionally invested in these characters that I lost my shit when ba
Isa K.
Meh~

Just meh~ This book is basically two books sold as one. Part 1 on its own would have gotten 3 stars from me. It was okay, kind of uninspiring YA, but it steered away from all the melodrama I was expecting. That counts for something.

I'm a strong believer in judging YA-themed stories by the adult characters. Our cast in Something Like Summer includes many of the usual cliches: Rich Neglectful Parents, Abusive Controlling Tyrants, People So Liberal in Child Rearing It Borders on Criminal (other
Camille
Oh my god! Okay *exhale*
Full gamut of emotions. Haven't cried over a book in a while...now I need something funny to read...

(A couple days later): After being unable to write more than the above for a review, being so overwhelmed, I've decided to make my reply my review :-)

"I wasn't expecting anything like this. From the description, the cover and the beginning I thought that this was just going to be a light YA read. Not at all. It was really compelling in the that it examines idealism of the
Kaje Harper
This is a book about a first love that lingers. Ben's evolution as a gay man begins with a teenage crush on Tim, and like imprinting, Tim becomes fixed in Ben's core as the embodiment of the man he loves. Throughout their early days of hiding, of unequal partnering, rejection, and through all the years to follow, Tim remains somehow an essential part of Ben.

In the years they are apart, Ben meets a guy who is better for him in every way. Open, loving, out and responsible, Jace is a wonderful char
Vivian
This... THIS is why I'd never want to relive my teenage years.

All that doubt, wondering, alienation---Ugh. Ben is a great narrator. At times, you want to cringe and others cheer, but like life, it has its ups and downs. To know something about yourself at a young age that makes you significantly different is an experience that isolates. Growth is different, changed and lonely.

Ben's early teen years came with a harsh lesson. Not all epiphanies lead to happiness. But like a good sword, it gets st
Lili
Jun 11, 2014 Lili rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: m-m
Well this was me last night (view spoiler)(view spoiler)

And to be honest I never quite recovered from that. This is kind of a hard book to rate. For a majority of the story this was a 5 star read. I loved how the author handled the coming of age part of the story. It was cute, full of angst, yet also innocent. Loved that the author wasn't afraid to add sex to that part of the book. I know adding sex to a YA book is
Edina Rose
L-D
This book was exquisite. Tim and Ben are teenagers at the same school and they begin a secret relationship. This book charts 12 years in the life of Ben with all of the highs and lows. Quite honestly, this book was an emotional roller coaster that left me completely wrung out at the end. Some readers have liked the ending, some do not. To me, the ending is not important, it was the journey and the strength and spectrum of the emotions that it invoked in me. I really loved this book.

Below is a t
Sara
I know I say it often, "How do I review this book?" but honestly, how do I? I picked up Something like Summer (twice actually not realizing my blunder) because I was drawn to the bright orange of the cover with that bit of blue that caught my eye every time. One Sunday, when I was stuck in bed I wanted a book to bring my spirits up so I started this. What happened was me being sucked into a book that I did not stop reading until I was done.

Ben, what a strong character at such a young age. I wis
Natalie
I really struggled with how to rate this. When I give a two-star rating, it's usually because the writing was mediocre or the plot bored me. Not so with this story. I was into it. I inhaled it in anxious gulps, desperate to get to the end. I read the spoilers beforehand. I knew what was going to happen. But I HATED how it unfolded. It was the author's job to make me love Tim, and he failed.

I'm going to start the second book right now, because apparently I'm a glutton for punishment, but mostly b
Marc
I loved this book ;) It reminded me of the YA series "Infernal Devices" in that it shows that there is not always only one person we could love, but that a lot depends on the right timing. A person can find happiness in different ways, but there is a right time and place for everything and every action has consequences. Life doesn't stop, it just continues around us and our choices shape the way our life continues, even if we would like it to go into another way. There are mistakes and regrets, ...more
Alvin
SLIGHTLY PREDICTABLE BUT A WELL-WRITTEN ROMANCE BOOK.

BUDDY READ with John and Lili:
Lili's review

I had a hard time rating this and also might have a hard time reviewing it. I wanna say a lot of things!!! But I will cover those that's on the top of my mind.

Ben

PART 1:
I loved this part! If the book was just this, I can give a 4-5 star rating! I loved both Ben and Tim here. It was honest and even though what they had (view spoiler)
Kassa
Something Like Summer is a moving coming of age story that will definitely appeal to readers. Unfortunately I didn’t particularly like the main character in Ben but in many ways this is completely subjective. He happened to touch on a few personal pet peeves that are unlikely to bother other readers, although the issue of fidelity may be a problem for some. The writing though is very engaging, bringing you into Ben’s journey with an absorbing intimacy. Although this isn’t a fast paced read, it’s ...more
Jo
Oct 25, 2014 Jo rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Jo by: Justin2 and Breann
Maddie
DaisyGirl
5.0 Stars

Wow. Just ... wow. I. Am. Beat. In Something Like Summer, Ben tells us of his first love (Tim), his second love (Jace), and his life in between. It was riveting. I enjoyed the characters and the overall storyline. I loved Ben's indomitable spirit and optimism. Tim was sexy as all get out but ... well, you know. (If you don't, read this book!) And, lastly, Jace ... *sigh* I love, Love, LOVE Jace. Period.

This book wrung me out. I laughed, I cried, I threw my Kindle, I cried some more. In
Emanuela ~plastic duck~
If you haven't read the book, DO NOT READ THE SPOILERS if you want to enjoy it, I'm serious!!!!

It's difficult to rate because I have very strong feelings AGAINST one of the characters and this is really clouding my judgment.

This is the story of Ben, who falls in love for the first time with Tim. While Ben is the not-so-popular gay kid, Tim is handsome, popular and straight. Ben pursues Tim and he is able to get closer to him, so close that he prompts Tim to reconsider his sexual inclination. Tim
Trisha Harrington
A lot of people loved this book, but I have seen people who agreed with me, so at least I'm not alone when it comes to this book. When it came to this book, I was so excited to read it. From the blurb, I thought this would become a fast favourite of mine. The blurb wasn't really the best thing to go by, and that was what I did go by. Not the reviews, (I didn't read any before I read this) but the blurb.

From the blurb, I got the impression that this would be about Ben and Tim. And that was true,
Cory
Ugh...I had a review typed out and Goodreads ate it...bummer!

Anyway, this was awesome! A great story of how love can get in the way of life and there is nothing for anyone to do but accept it. Told over the span of many years, it's a story of a love that began in the late 90's during high school. One boy out and proud, the other boy still in the closet.

I probably won't write much about each individual book, but I will say that this was a terrific start and I loved it!
Vicki
This book was just brilliant and I loved every moment of it. My emotions took such a hit, one minute I was laughing, then crying...sigh.
Jenre
Jeff Erno
T.A. Webb
"Life isn't meant to be hidden away and life is too short for shame."

That's the way Ben has tried to live his life. He's openly gay in his high school, and can't wait to finish up and move out into the real world. Away from the piss ant Texas town where the only boys who want to have anything to do with him are in it for sex only, and don't know him in the light of day.

When he sees a new boy around during his summer break, he makes it his mission to find out who he is. He doesn't recognize him a
Wade
I am really excited for Jay. It is like "living the dream" for all those authors out there! Self-pub, to best of 2011, to "going to be a movie". Jay is an inspiration to perseverance and true talent. I look forward to reading his work. :)

This was really hard to rate. On the one hand I wanted to give it 5 stars because I really loved "part one". Ben and Tim's relationship was fun and believable and I think very well written. Then"part two"... I ended up liking Ben and Jace. I think they
Sheri
First love. Maddening love. Everlasting love.

This is a story of first love. High school ignites sparks between Ben and Tim. Ben wanted Tim, stalked him and craved him like no other. Tim shocked Ben with returning the desire. Tim was ashamed of his feelings for Ben, he hid them and asked Ben to keep their relationship under lock and key. Ben was willing to do anything for Tim, his love for Tim burned brightly, so he complied. It didn’t take long and Tim broke under the strain of his secrets. He
Con Riley
I just tripped over my son's bright blue running shoes and, once I got over my fear of almost certain death, they reminded me of just how much I adored this story.

Something Like Summer's sweet start is deceptive (yet delightful). I was left smiling often, but I also ugly cried like an ugly-crying mofo.

There's no writing of Jay Bell's that I haven't adored. As writing styles go, his is a wicked combination of pixie dust and honesty.

I wholeheartedly recommend.
Lena Grey
Ah, first love! For many people, their first love is the most memorable of all. The experiences found in that first attraction tend to color any other future relationships we they may have. This is certainly true for Ben Bentley and Tim Wyman of 'Something Like Summer' by Jay Bell.

Ben is bright, talented and loving. He strives to live life on his own terms. Ben is very kind and has a deep- seated strength of character. With the help of Allison, his best friend, and Jace, his knight-in-shining-ar
April
Sadly the only things I get around to reading these days are textbooks. I’ve had to postpone Life of Pi’s completion because of a mock Psychology exam. It took me forever to write this and it's one of the shortest reviews I've written. Sigh.

Anyway, I finished this pretty soon because it’s a fairly nice and easy story to dive into. It’s a little slow at the start, but it twists into a really lovely journey of love, loss and moving on. It charmingly captivates the essence of life and the situation
John, Alvin, & Lili BR :) 71 31 Jun 17, 2014 11:41PM
MY GAY BOOK CLUB!: MGBC Review: Something Like Summer by Jay Bell. 2 35 Jan 03, 2012 07:37AM
  • Trust Me
  • The Cranberry Hush
  • Enlightened (Little Boy Lost, #1)
  • Who We Are (Bear, Otter, and the Kid, #2)
  • End of the Beginning (Tales from Foster High, #2)
  • How to Repair a Mechanical Heart
  • The Price of Falling
  • Superhero
  • Chase in Shadow (Johnnies, #1)
  • My Summer of Wes (Wes & Mal, #1)
  • Play Me, I'm Yours
  • A Note in the Margin (A Note in the Margin, #1)
  • Wes and Toren
  • When Love Is Not Enough (Unconditional Love, #1)
  • After Ben (Seattle Stories, #1)
Jay Bell never gave much thought to Germany until he met a handsome foreign exchange student. At that moment, beer and pretzels became the most important thing in the world. After moving to Germany and getting married, Jay found himself desperate to communicate the feelings of alienation, adventure, and love that surrounded this decision, and has been putting pen to paper ever since.
More about Jay Bell...

Something Like (6 books)
  • Something Like Winter (Something Like #2)
  • Something Like Autumn (Something Like #3)
  • Something Like Spring (Something Like #4)
  • Something Like Lightning (Something Like #5)
  • Something Like Thunder (Something Like, #6)
Something Like Winter (Something Like #2) Kamikaze Boys Language Lessons Something Like Autumn (Something Like #3) Something Like Spring (Something Like #4)

“Love isn’t meant to be hidden away and life is too short for shame.” 214 likes
“There’s a coward and a fool, and both of them are you, My heart is cracked and broken, but yours is frozen through.” 99 likes