Start by marking “Sooner or Later (Deliverance Company #2)” as Want to Read:
Sooner or Later (Deliverance Company #2)

Sooner or Later (Deliverance Company #2)

3.94  ·  Rating Details ·  1,884 Ratings  ·  101 Reviews
Dear Jack,

I may be a rough, tough solider of fortune but I've me my match!

I'm in Central America on a no-win job and regretting every minute. A woman named Letty Madden hired me to find her missing brother. I'd figured this prim and proper Texas postmistress would run and hide when I named my price: one night. I was wrong.

I swear the woman is my punishment for never giving
Published October 13th 2009 by HarperCollins e-books (first published April 25th 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Sooner or Later, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sooner or Later

Ronica
Oct 04, 2009 Ronica rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not many people in the town of Boothill, TX knows the real Shaun Murphy, most don’t even know his first name and he prefers it this way. He is surprised when Letty Madden the postmistress of the town seeks his help in finding her brother in he is taken aback.

Letty Madden knows something is terribly wrong with he twin brother Luke, she will do anything to save him including considering the indecent proposal Murphy makes her.

Sooner or Later has it all intrigue, a dashing hero and a fearless heroin
Pr Latta
[audio] Not the Debbie Macomber of Blossom Street, this second in the Deliverance Company series adds suspense and some descriptive zing to the "good girl with "traditional" values changes bad boy" romance plot. There is action (but not Steve Berry or James Rollins or even Brockman style), disasters (with kisses to make it better), and not everything is happily ever after. This was almost chaste for those seeking romantic suspense, but some detailed descriptions of both the romance and the viole ...more
Sheena Renee
Nov 15, 2010 Sheena Renee rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was linked to the last book I read by Debbie, Someday Soon. Murphy had a small part in the book but he is one of those characters that you cant get out of your head. Well, he got his story in this book and it was awesome! He got EXACTLY what was coming to him! My mom is a huge fan of Debbie Macomber...I am starting to become one myself. She reminds me alot of Nicholas Sparks...her stories are very touching and heart warming.
LoveRomance
Jun 19, 2011 LoveRomance rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book was so disappointing. I was caught at the airport with nothing to read (nook can't be used during take off or landing!), so picked this book up from the "new" shelf at the airport Borders. Since when is 1996 new?!? I hate it that I was in a rush and forgot to check copyright date (which we all need to do now even if book is on "new" shelf). This story was fragmented and did not work for me at all. It's almost like the characters wanted to be from 1880, even though it is supposed to be ...more
Marianne
May 16, 2011 Marianne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sooner or Later is the second of Debbie Macomber’s Deliverance Company novels and consists of two stories told in tandem. In the main story, Letty Madden, postmistress of Boothill, Texas tries to employ Deliverance Company mercenary, Shaun Murphy to go with her to the troubled Central American country of Zarcero to rescue her twin brother, missionary, Luke Madden. But Murphy has no intention of helping her out, and, to put her off, he tells her he will only agree if she spends a night with him, ...more
Charity Yoder
normally I can appreciate macomber's books. nice pleasant romances. this was not one of those. this was not one of those.

letty was just so wishy washy in her feelings. yes she had grit to her character, which was nice and almost made me like her. however, the way she went about dealing with things left me not so.

Murphy was even worse. his attitude about women left me quite disturbed. I never saw that viewpoint change, either. and that doesn't bode well for me. not at all.

and I probably should
Liz
May 11, 2011 Liz rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011
"Oh, dear heavens!" she thought. "It was just so full of promise, of wonder, of excitement."

But then, she realized what time had taught her. That she should have known better. That her whimsical wishes and desires had gotten the better of her once again.

While this was a romance book, it just wasn't the romance book she'd hoped for . . .

***********************************
Ok, enough of the farce. Seriously, if you write a romance book, people have sex. Really. Real, adult, no-holds-barred, rowdy o
Tiffany
Feb 05, 2011 Tiffany rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I was actually thrown by this book and had to look at the cover multiple times just to make sure that it was a Debbie Macomber novel. I like that Debbie's books are generally fluffy, icing on type books with usually a great lovestory thrown in. In general there are church going people in the book and the language is usually mild. But in between most things are fluffy happily ever after type stories.

This book is what I would definitely call a romance novel. It certainly had adult material that n
Nicola
This was a fairly predictable romance. Naturally neither party could admit their attraction to one another - as the were so wrong for each other. Both had past issues that were difficult to overcome. However, in the middle of a war-torn country, searching for a condemned missionary, love bloomed.
A bit corny. A bit unrealistic. Still, it pulled at my heart strings, while still satisfying my interest in "more" in a story. I liked that the search for Luke was not an easy one, and that there was mo
April Suter
Nov 19, 2011 April Suter rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A sexy novel of a everyday postmistress, Letty, needing someone to help find her missionary-preacher brother who is in a unsettled country. That someone is Murphy, now the owner of Deliverance Company. So they travel together in very unsafe conditions to find they have a connection, but Murphy refuses to end up like his buddies, Cain and Mallory, married and no soldier work.

Another member of the Deliverance Company has his own troubles. Keller is attracted to Marcie and is tempted to give up his
Laura Beasley
Good Story. Fairly predictable but some surprises. Story deals with Letty who hires Shaun Murphy to find her brother Luke who is a missionary in Central America and had been kidnapped. The story also includes other love relationships-- between Luke and Rosita and and between Marcie, Jack(Johnny) and Clifford. Three love stories in one book. The story deals with finding Luke. It keeps your interest.
Jenifer
Jul 15, 2015 Jenifer rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Horrible. I've read a lot of Debbie Macomber books. I've read them because I like silly but clean romances. Within the first 5 pages it was obvious she had changed. I even checked the author to see if I had the right Debbie Macomber. This is a serious departure from her previous formula. I won't be reading her books anymore. She had broken the trust between the author and reader. Very sad and very disappointing
Debbie
Jun 21, 2016 Debbie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A young post-mistress, Letty, lives in Boothill, Texas. Her brother, a missionary, is missing in the country of Zarcero. Letty enlists the help of Murphy (against his better judgement) and together they travel to the foreign country which is embattled in a civil war. The life-threatening adventures to locate Letty's brother lead the couple to a complicated relationship. The plot is quick and a perfect summer time read.
Crystal
Dec 18, 2014 Crystal rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I absolutely loved this book! I just found I could NOT put it down! I almost gave it four stars because I didn't really like how one part of the story turned out but honestly, it was the best after a bit of consideration! I will always read anything I come across by Debbie Macomber! I love her writing. I also love that there were three stories at play here and I never got confused about which was which or who was who! This is a great, romantic, adventurous read!!
Kim Hampton
Mar 19, 2014 Kim Hampton rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Of all the Debbie Macomber books I've read so far, this one has been my least favorite. That's not to say I didn't LIKE it, just that I didn't like it as much as the others. I wasn't totally happy with the ending, which is just because I like things to be a certain way and this one didn't meet my expectations. It's still a good book though, and that's why I gave it 4 stars.
Cherry-Ann
Nice story. Took me a long ride to read though. Not sure why I found it difficult to put it into contemporary settings, possibly because of names Boothill Texas and the postal employee thingy that put me in the frame of the old west. Anyway, unexpected twist in the end. Sort of atypical romance but all in all in a bad read.
Lisa
Jul 08, 2012 Lisa rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sooner or Later was definitely a good summer read. It was easy reading, with characters that were likable. One aspect I found somewhat annoying was the character attitudes regarding sexuality and sex. However, by the end of the story, all of the characters figured out what their true feelings where and all ended well.
Keri Blinn
It may not be fair of me to even rate this, as I barely got past chapter one. I just could NOT get in to this one. I don't know why it was so disappointing to me, I loved her Cedar Cove series so very much. Either this was written in her early days, and just not so great for some reason, or my book tastes are really changing.
Dec 20, 2011 Laura rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
Got about halfway through this one. The hero is such a jerk that I just don't care about the rest of it. You can hardly call it a romance novel; there's no romance about it at all. If you want a good book in this genre, read Suzanne Brockmann's "Out of Control." That's what this book wanted to be and wasn't.
Norma E. Scarborough
Love and non stop action

I enjoyed this story because it was not a predictable plot. I often cheat and read the last chapter after I'm one third the way into the book but even so it held some unexpected events. Plenty of action and love. Looking forward to see what happens to Jack.
Barbi
Jun 01, 2015 Barbi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a page turner! I loved all of the characters in this book with the exception of Capt Norte and the rebels. I loved how the author built the relationship between Letty and Murphy until they had no choice but to accept the facts that they cared for one another. I also enjoyed the addition of Jack and Marcie and I hope that there will be a book about them or at least, Jack.
Dawn
Aug 11, 2012 Dawn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good book with just enough suspense and romance combined. Definately not the Debbie Macomber I am use to with the Blossom street books or the Cedar Cove books. Glad I found these books because they are very good reading and I couldn't wait to get back to reading them every night.
Theresa Contreras
Not a big fan of two love stories going on at the same time, and this book has zero "love scenes" so that put a damper on it. My first by Debbie Macomber, not sure if I'll giver her another go. Good writing but not my taste.
Margo Carney
Jul 19, 2012 Margo Carney rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: debbie-macomber
This was the first Debbie Macomber book I read and I fell in love with this author! Next I read the other two books in this little series and then ventured off to explore her other books. So far I haven't been disappointed.
Diane Wachter
PB-M
@ 1996, 11/10. Murphy is hired by Letty Madden to find her missionary brother in Mexico, but Letty insists on going with him. Now they are falling in love, but will they make it out of Mexico alive? Good.
Santina Young
Not Her Best

This is the second in her series with hot, passionate love, killing, and adventure. I finished it, but will not look for another along these lines. It is too raunchy for my taste. I much prefer the small hometown stories and romance.
Karen Parrack
Jan 17, 2016 Karen Parrack rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another hard to put down Debbie Macomber book

Debbie's books always keep keep you interested until the very last page. This one was no exception. The main characters were loveable and believable
Janice Smith
Feb 03, 2016 Janice Smith rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sooner or Later

As I expected, Book 2 of this series didn't disappoint. Another wonderful story filled with excitement and romance. Looking forward to reading the next book of the series.
Melz
Apr 07, 2013 Melz rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Started off not so great but got better. I was more interested in the secondary characters than the main ones. Letty wasn't a very likeable main character. She had no draw, no personality & I just couldn't connect with her.
David J. Belliveau
Excellent

This was an amazing book . The author is a brilliant writer. I enjoyed the way she made the characters become very life like and interesting . I would recommend it to anyone.
  • Return to Rose Cottage: The Laws of Attraction / For the Love of Pete (Rose Cottage Sisters #3-4)
  • Christmas Brides
  • Blackwolf's Redemption
  • Nine-Month Protector (The Precinct: Vice Squad #2; The Precinct #6)
  • Christmas Kisses (Mackenzie Family, #4 & Those Manning Men, #5)
  • Blazing Bedtime Stories (Once Upon A Bite / My, What A Big...You Have! / Sexily Ever After) (Harlequin Blaze #447)
  • Celebration
  • A Spring Bouquet (4-in-1)
  • Noelle
  • The Bachelor Prince
Debbie Macomber is a #1 New York Times bestselling author and one of today’s most popular writers with more than 200 million copies of her books in print worldwide. In her novels, Macomber brings to life compelling relationships that embrace family and enduring friendships, uplifting her readers with stories of connection and hope. Macomber’s novels have spent over 990 weeks on the New York Times ...more
More about Debbie Macomber...

Deliverance Company (3 books)
  • Someday Soon (Deliverance Company, #1)
  • Moon Over Water (Deliverance Company #3)