Start by marking “Bad Chili (Hap and Leonard, #4)” as Want to Read:
Bad Chili (Hap and Leonard, #4)

Bad Chili (Hap and Leonard #4)

4.05 of 5 stars 4.05  ·  rating details  ·  1,499 ratings  ·  91 reviews
Fresh from a stint on an offshore oil rig Hap arrives home in LaBorde, Texas, to find his best friend Leonard brooding over the break-up with his lover, Raul. Things get worse when Raul's new lover is found murdered and Leonard is the prime suspect. Hap sets out to clear his friends name, but there are complications in the form of a nurse with an abusive husband, a tornado ...more
Published (first published 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Bad Chili, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bad Chili

The Bottoms by Joe R. LansdaleMucho Mojo by Joe R. LansdaleA Fine Dark Line by Joe R. LansdaleThe Two-Bear Mambo by Joe R. LansdaleSavage Season by Joe R. Lansdale
Best of Joe R. Lansdale
7th out of 31 books — 36 voters
Lonesome Dove by Larry McMurtryThe Time It Never Rained by Elmer KeltonMolly Ivins Can't Say That, Can She? by Molly IvinsThe Road by Cormac McCarthyBurn Down the Ground by Kambri Crews
Texas Authors
28th out of 298 books — 119 voters

More lists with this book...

Kemper
Hap returns home from working a gig on an oil rig and is promptly attacked by a rabid squirrel. Thanks to crappy insurance and a grumpy doctor, he has to stay in the hospital in order to get his rabies shots paid for. While Hap is left to the mercy of the American healthy care system his best friend Leonard has been having problems with his boyfriend, Raul. Raul has been two-timing him with a biker, and it’s made Leonard so angry that he’s doing crazy things like beating the biker with a broom h ...more
Bark's Book Nonsense
This is another politically uncorrect wacky mystery featuring best friends Hap and Leonard. Hap is an everyman sort of slacker guy and Leonard is a big, tough black guy who happens to like men. Hap and Leonard love each other like brothers and are the unlikeliest of friends and their friendship has survived longer than any of their previous relationships. They are hilarious together, especially in this book which, thankfully, isn’t quite as dark as “Two Bear Mambo, though it has its dark moments ...more
Charles Dee Mitchell
A attack by a rabid squirrel sets the tone for this fourth escapade of Hap Collins and Leonard Pine in the humid, make that fetid, world of East Texas. You don't read these books for their tightly plotted mystery, although this one has a better mystery to be solved than the other two I have read. The attraction is just how outrageous Lansdale will make the action. This time out we have murder, torture, grease stealing (you'll have to read the book), rape videos, gay bikers, sadistic ex-wrestlers ...more
Rick
I'm starting to think Lansdale's "Hap and Leonard" will attack (and prevail over) any subject matter. In "Bad Chili" there were times I wasn't even sure what the 'mystery' was~but I knew Hap & Leonard would make it worth the ride.
There are enough reviews that give you a synopsis of the plot, and everyone tries their best to describe Hap and Leonard, so I'll spare you.

"Bad Chili" begins with a rabid squirrel attack and ends with a tornado, and --as always with these guys-- I find myself quest
Marvin
I am somewhat relieved that this fourth book of the Hap and Leonard series returns to the hilarious wit of the first two books. That isn't to say Lansdale lets go of the blood and grit that is liberally splattered through the other novels. And the author keeps his realistic if cynical outlook on life intact as relayed by the idealistic Hap and the pessimistic Leonard. But after all that, Bad Chili is mainly side-splitting funny. Just read the first 15 pages regarding a berserk squirrel and its a ...more
Joel Neff
Daniel Drago
Another amazing Hap and Leonard Novel. The opening scene alone was enough to make me laugh out loud non-stop. Great plot, a lot of action and best of all amazing characters. I had no idea and was so incredibly excited when Jim Bob Luke is a major character in the book. Cold In July is one of my favorites and Jim Bob is an amazing character as well. I just found out he also is in Captain Outrageous so I am really excited to read that one soon.

Any Lansdale is mandatory reading and I can't believe
Joanne Parkington
What to say about this book ..... it's crass and coarse and full of dirty word's and dirtier people ... in short, it's bloody wonderful !! Hap Collin's is a great character ... flat broke & without a pot to piss in, hurtling toward's middle age with only the clothes on his back and even those have seen better day's .... the scrap's Hap & Leonard get into are as brilliantly funny as they are violently bloody and the addition of foul-mouthed, husband burning, gun-toting Brett just add's to ...more
Hans
1977 Dario Argento directed the now classic horror film SUSPIRIA, the trailer for the film bosted " The only thing scarier than the first three minutes of SUSPIRA are the last 90 " Which is a fairly accurate summation , the opening to that movie is amazing. The opening scene to BAD CHILI by Joe R Lansdale something happens to Hap so crazy , the only thing better then the first 10 pages are the last 296, and the ending is aciton packed and satisfying. before BAD CHILI , 2 BEAR MAMBO was my favori ...more
Andy
Trailer trash crime masterpiece about a chili king's extortion by bikers for stealing grease from restaurants. Lansdale throws in a sado-masochistic has-been wrestler, another pair of Afro-black twins (see "Freezer Burn")and wraps it up with a Texas twister as the big finish just to raise the Warner Bros cartoon dementia.
"Bad Chili" should be read simply for the hilarious security job interview sequence alone. "Dancing Baptists". Lansdale does it again.
Heath Lowrance
This one starts with one of the funnier sequences in the Hap and Leonard series, as the boys are attacked out of nowhere by a rabid squirrel; it's a seemingly random beginning that actually becomes relevant at the end. But even if it wasn't, it works as a purely comic scene.

The whole book is pretty funny, really. There's more emphasis on comedy than in the previous books, and that's probably why I like it maybe just a little less. But a LOT happens in this one-- Leonard's boyfriend Raul disappea
Domenico Cinalli
Scrivo qualcosa su Lansdale colpevolmente solo al quarto romanzo del ciclo di Hap & Leonard. Il mio rapporto con l'autore non è iniziato benissimo: sarà stato il periodo in cui l'ho letto, sarà stato il libro stesso, ma Una Stagione Selvaggia non mi colpì particolarmente. Ma mai come in questo caso perseverare ha ripagato, perché dal successivo, Mucho Mojo, è stato amore irrefrenabile. Hap & Leonard sono semplicemente una delle coppie meglio assortite e più esplosive della letteratura (n ...more
David
Lansdale is my newest favorite aurthor. I hope he writes another 100 Hap & Leonard books. Cool, funny, and smart.
Noah Soudrette
Another great adventure of Hap and Leonard. In this one, we meet Hap's awesome new girlfriend, and we get a cameo from a character last seen in "Cold in July".
Wesley Green
This was my introduction to Joe R. Lansdale work and it was even better than I had hoped for. I can see his influence on Garth Ennis' Preacher comic series- which is a good thing.

Bad Chili is part of the Hap and Leonard series of books but you don't need to have read the preceding books of the series to know who is who and so on. This book is its own self-contained story which I can say is a good introduction to the series.

If you're looking for something smart, gritty, and funny, then this book
Paul Eckert
I've been wanting to read Lansdale's work for years, and finding this audiobook at the library was the perfect excuse to finally dive in.

The thing to love about Lansdale is that he takes familiar premises and turns them on their head. There's a mystery in this book, but it's not tackled by big city super sleuths. Instead there's Hap and Leonard, a couple of guys living in East Texas. And instead of stereotype Texan cowboys with six shooters and a mouthful of snuff, we have Hap Collins, a blue c
Paola
Io posseggo l'edizione del 2003, sempre Einaudi, nessuna voglia né tempo di fare un inserimento manuale della scheda del libro, quindi o così o pomì. Se penso che ho ancora almeno altri 2000 libri da inserire, mi vien male, chissà prima della pensione magari ci riesco...
Comunque il commento é quello originale:)
Il racconto dell'incontro/scontro con uno scoiattolo rabbioso delle prime pagine da solo vale la ri-lettura, si sghignazza alla grande, anche se dispiace per l'atroce fine della bestiola.
U
Andrew Neal
*This review has spoilers for the first three books in the series, plus one spoiler for this book, which is hidden. Beware.*

Yet another book about rednecks whooping asses and getting their asses whooped.

It's a really good book, and I enjoyed it as much as the others in the series which I gave four stars, with one exception: Life comes cheap in this series, but this one took that to a new level in a couple of ways.

First, Hap gets involved with a new girlfriend, but doesn't ever see fit to mentio
Al Young

There used to be a phenomenon about a decade ago -the outlet book store. I suspect you all know about outlet malls. In a 500 mile radius, there used to be a half a dozen of these outlet book stores, where you could find relatively recent hardback novels for four and five dollars.

Though, the internet shows that these are still in existent, all of those around my usual routes have been closed for some time. I don't know what the reason would be. Perhaps the rise of Amazon or the expansion of mega-
A. Bowdoin Van Riper
Bad Chili, the fourth installment in the continuing saga of Hap Collins and Leonard Pine, is nominally a mystery story. People are murdered, for reasons initially unclear, and the heroes -- determined to figure out why -- encounter further deaths, further mysteries, and threats to their own lives along the way. Eventually the mysteries are unravelled, justice is served, and life in the dusty, sun-beaten world of East Texas goes on.

The mystery is briskly handled -- an unusual plot played out in
Trevor
With Hap and Leonard you're never disappointed. Book length is always perfect (about 200 pages) and like an episode of Magnum PI or Simon and Simon it is packed with violent crimes, detective work, interesting conversations, and plenty of time along the way to piss people off, get into fights, go fishing or look for jobs. It's just like real life.
Randy
Leonard is telling Hap that his boy friend Raul had left him for a biker when a rapid squirrel attacks, biting Hap's arm. While he's in the hospital getting that taken care of, Leonard raids the biker bar with a shotgun, shooting up a few bikes and beating the offending biker with a broom handle. He lights out with bikers in hot pursuit.

The biker turns up dead, head blown off with a shotgun, and Leonard is missing.

All this while Hap is in the hospital. He knows Leonard wouldn't kill anyone so se
Randi Daeger
I love Hap and Leonard....they are GOOD GUYS.... but being female, think there is too much F....G going on or alluded to. However, when these guys get going they are a riot! If you can get past the raunch of the male mind you will enjoy the books. Dark.....as the reviews say.
Jonathan Franklin
Big fan of Lansdale's style. He creates memorable characters and does dialogue as well as Tarantino And Elmore Leonard.

This is my first sample of his Hap and Leonard series and Lansdale pulls no punches. This will not be for everyone. It's very non PC, grisly, gritty, and full of dark humor. If you enjoy that sort if thing then hop on for a wild ride with a couple of good guys with rough attitudes. I can't wait to read more of Hap and Leonard.
John Copeland
Fourth in the Hap and Leonard series and so far the weakest, in my opinion. I'm a big Lansdale fan but I can't help feeling that his Hap and Leonard series is a tad overrated by fans.

By this fourth novel, Hap Collins has become and incredibly dull and irritating narrator. He started drinking non alcoholic beer in the 3rd book and continues to do so. Not only that, he also makes a point of informing the reader that he does not drive after taking cold medicine. The guy is a real riot!

Some of the d
Callie S.
E' destino che io non riesca a leggere in ordine questa saga meravigliosa, ma potrebbe anche darsi che lo stia facendo di proposito, per ritagliarmi una scusa per rileggerla poi tutta dal principio.
Importa? No, perché Hap e Leonard sono pancia, non cervello: dopo due righe ti pare già di conoscerli da una vita e ogni avventura è un nuovo capitolo di un mito collettivo, di una storia di famiglia.
Se Rumble Tumble mi aveva divertita, questo, che ne è il prequel diretto, mi ha stesa del tutto: dallo
Tim Niland
When I saw that Lansdale had dedicated this book to one of my favorite authors, Andrew Vachss, I knew it was going to be a good one. This is another book in the fascinating Hap and Leonard series, where the two friends stumble into a series of misadventures. In this case, Leonard's heartsickness leads him to breakup a biker bar with a baseball bat and shotgun, and in the aftermath the boys find themselves on the up to their eyeballs in black market smut and oil which the bikers were scheming. Th ...more
Judi
The happy feeling that wrestled with the dread was due to the fact that I was home, free of the offshore drilling job where I had for months served as a heavy oiler, which is a glorified title for an idiot who pours oil onto machinery. I hated the work and vowed never to do it again. I also vowed, for the umpteenth time, to change my life. To find something better, to finally prepare for the future. Which considering half my life was over, might not be a bad idea. Perhaps, if I had real plans, I ...more
Daniel Sevitt
Wonderfully brisk, unrelentingly dark humoured and satisfyingly violent. Also the first chapter genuinely made me chuckle out loud. Proper funny writing... with rabies.
Chompa
I don't know about Joe R. Lansdale. This book is not one you could describe to anyone without sounding like it's just plain silly. It starts off with an attack by a rabid squirrel that was howlingly funny and moves into a very dark and nasty murder/gay bashing/cover up. But at the same time introduces a romantic interest for the main character. Throw in a very odd private detective who is actually a hog farmer and a tornado and... well you see what I'm talking about.

Somehow Lansdale makes it al
  • Solea
  • No Beast So Fierce
  • Players
  • Attenti al gorilla
  • Παλιά, πολύ παλιά (Κώστας Χαρίτος, #5)
  • Boulevard (Hayden Glass, #1)
  • Alcatraz: Jack Folla un DJ nel braccio della morte
  • Yesterday
  • Gun Monkeys
  • Mi fido di te
  • Resurrection Man
  • I Was Dora Suarez
  • Musica. Un'interpretazione psicoanalitica di un caso di frigidità
Joe R. Lansdale is the winner of the British Fantasy Award, the American Horror Award, the Edgar Award, and six Bram Stoker Awards. He lives in Nacogdoches, Texas.
More about Joe R. Lansdale...

Hap and Leonard (10 books)
  • Savage Season (Hap and Leonard, #1)
  • Mucho Mojo (Hap and Leonard, #2)
  • The Two-Bear Mambo (Hap and Leonard, #3)
  • Rumble Tumble (Hap and Leonard, #5)
  • Captains Outrageous (Hap and Leonard, #6)
  • Vanilla Ride (Hap and Leonard, #7)
  • Devil Red (Hap and Leonard, #8)
  • Hyenas (Hap and Leonard, #9)
  • Dead Aim (Hap and Leonard, #10)
The Bottoms Mucho Mojo (Hap and Leonard, #2) Savage Season (Hap and Leonard, #1) The Two-Bear Mambo (Hap and Leonard, #3) Edge of Dark Water

“Let me tell you, if you have never seen an agitated squirrel you have seen very little, nor have you heard much, because the sound of an angry squirrel is not to be forgotten.” 21 likes
“You need to read some Agatha Christie, man.

Why? Am I being punished?”
6 likes