Start by marking “Over-the-Counter Natural Cures: Take Charge of Your Health in 30 Days with 10 Lifesaving Supplements for under $10” as Want to Read:

In "Over the Counter Natural Cures," an award-winning scientist who left Big Pharma to spread the truth about medicine and nutrition, teaches readers how to easily and inexpensively boost their body's nutrients and fill dangerous nutrition gaps.
Published October 1st 2009 by Sourcebooks (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Over-the-Counter Natural Cures, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Over-the-Counter Natural Cures

Erin Jones
Sep 19, 2016 Erin Jones rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Inaccurate.
Alana
Sep 16, 2014 Alana rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed, health
I really enjoyed the information presented in this book. It was an eye opener. I learned quite a bit of new information. Some of the shockers were that MSG was created to cause normal rats to have diabetes for understanding diabetes in humans. Another is that Splenda was invented as an insecticide thqt disrupts and destroys the DNA. I was enraged with all of the information I learned about the big pharma companies, cover-ups, and how the data, or information gets altered. This book is written by ...more
Joseph
Aug 28, 2015 Joseph rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book has had a massive influence on how I see health and my own contribution to stay healthy and fit. i always had a deep distrust towards drugs and cures created in pharmaceutical labs. When my doctor prescribed a daily dos of Allopurinol to get the high uric acid levels down, I started to research on the side effects of this drug and uncovered horror stories beyond one's imagination. This book has given me so much guidance and information to control my polyarthritis, a form of inflammatio ...more
amanda.
Sep 29, 2014 amanda. rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Got this for free and pretty much hate-read half of the book hoping it would get better. It didn't, so I stopped reading. All the poor writing and exclamation points aside (fun idea: play a drinking game wherein every time you encounter an exclamation point you take a drink. You might be dead by page 10, however), I'd wager Shane Ellison purposefully writes to the type of person who has little to no science training. It shows. I'd also wager he banks on the fact that no one will try to check the ...more
Karenwoolford27
Apr 26, 2015 Karenwoolford27 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good information, seems well-researched. I'd prefer a more formal type of writing, but that's a small complaint. The important thing is the information presented. It has inspired me to try some of the remedies recommended. I am particularly interested in how to choose the appropriate supplements, and how to safely wean yourself off the prescribed meds you are taking. I do believe that what he says is true: the big pharmaceutical companies are more concerned with lining their pockets than with im ...more
John Sandstrom
Apr 29, 2015 John Sandstrom rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Finally a book that

Tells the truth about meds, supplements, diet and exercise! Every doctor should be required to read this book! They've been brainwashed by pharmaceutical industry and mainstream media hype. Prescription drugs should be for emergency use only yet we get them like candy, thanks to big pharmaceutical companies bribing doctors and nonstop ads
janjones
Apr 17, 2016 janjones rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this informative book and a lot can be gleaned from this it. I didn't need all the case studies but those new to this kind of book will probably enjoy it. I got it to find out about the best supplements without fillers and extra money. Big pharma is covered along with supplement mfg.s for various supplements.

This book delivers for those on heart, anxiety, prenatal, high blood pressure, diabetes, cancer meds etc. It is informative and gives references and web pages for assistance.
I keep
Juanita Thomas
Sep 13, 2016 Juanita Thomas rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shane "The people's chemist"

Shane has written a great book. It is very informative and easy to read. I appreciate his sharing of knowledge.
Allen
Jan 17, 2016 Allen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shane has an updated version of this book but I cannot access it. When I buy the new version, it shows the new version but delivers the old version. Very frustrating.
Jonette
Apr 27, 2010 Jonette rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In our fast paced world of processed and fast foods, the National Center on Health Statistics estimates the result is 90% of the US population is nutrient deficient. These defiencies result in disease; often life threatening and chronic. In his book Ellison, aka "The People's Chemist" gives great practical information on inexpensive supplements that anyone can incorporate into their lives to maintain their health and avoid chronic issues. This book is written in easy to understand language and E ...more
Leanna
Feb 14, 2015 Leanna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good book. The pharmacy way of life is not for me and this book reinforces my thoughts with lots of options for improving my health.
Irene
Jul 27, 2015 Irene rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good informative book!
Kelly
Apr 04, 2015 Kelly rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I only read a few chapters that would actually pertain to me. Have yet to try any of these herbal supplements. If they work, I'll give the book a higher rating.
Vivian Ruble
Oct 02, 2011 Vivian Ruble rated it it was amazing
Everyone should read this book! I would give it more stars if possible. You owe it to yourself and the ones you love to learn this information to achieve better health. Shane is an Organic Chemist who use to work for a big Pharmaceutical company. What you don't know (and won't learn) CAN hurt you!!! Very enjoyable reading, too! He has a way with explaining things that everyone can understand.
Darlene
Jul 28, 2012 Darlene rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a pretty good "reference" book. I found it interesting and quite informative. I finished it right away the first time around, but I keep going back and re-reading certain sections. In fact, I've purchased a couple more as gifts - one for my daughter. If you're into a more natural way, or even if you're not, I think you'll find this at least a read to make you think. I do recommend it.
Irene Allison
Mar 18, 2015 Irene Allison rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very useful and informative. I'm always interested in natural alternatives. But I'd recommend a paperback version, which, for a non-fiction is just so much easier and quicker to reference than an e-book.
Starry Eyes
Nov 26, 2013 Starry Eyes rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I think its amazing people don't know what big pharma is doing to people just by following the Drs advice and I am shocked that drs are still giving the medicines to people knowing it kills them.
Curtis Mitchell
Feb 26, 2012 Curtis Mitchell rated it really liked it
Great information from the author and his reputable cited sources. Biggest win for me is the very practical guidance given by the author. This could be a habit-changing read.
Katrina
This is the Kindle edition, while I am actually reading the print edition. I clicked the wrong edition when I was adding it to my currently-reading shelf.
Stuart Bishop
Sep 15, 2012 Stuart Bishop rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
well laid out. good solid advice and the 'why' not just the 'what'.
Eva Tichy
Eva Tichy rated it it was amazing
Sep 30, 2016
Michelle Witt
Michelle Witt marked it as to-read
Sep 28, 2016
Darcie
Darcie added it
Sep 18, 2016
Annmarie
Annmarie rated it it was amazing
Sep 18, 2016
Erik Leon
Erik Leon rated it it was amazing
Sep 17, 2016
Cindy
Cindy rated it really liked it
Sep 21, 2016
Boddhi
Boddhi rated it liked it
Sep 02, 2016
  • RX from the Garden: 101 Food Cures You Can Easily Grow
  • Your Credit Score: How to Fix, Improve, and Protect the 3-Digit Number that Shapes Your Financial Future
  • Sunny's Kitchen: Easy Food For Real Life
  • The Acid-Alkaline Food Guide
  • Crime: Its Cause and Treatment
  • The 3-Hour Diet (TM): How Low-Carb Diets Make You Fat and Timing Makes You Thin
  • Gordon Ramsay's Great British Pub Food
  • The Truck Food Cookbook: 150 Recipes and Ramblings from America's Best Restaurants on Wheels
  • Strong Women Stay Young
  • The Green Beauty Guide: Your Essential Resource to Organic and Natural Skin Care, Hair Care, Makeup, and Fragrances
  • Why Stomach Acid Is Good for You: Natural Relief from Heartburn, Indigestion, Reflux and Gerd
  • What the Dormouse Said: Lessons for Grown-ups from Children's Books
  • The Thyroid Solution
  • Feeling Fat, Fuzzy or Frazzled?: A 3-Step Program to: Beat Hormone Havoc, Restore Thyroid, Adrenal, and Reproductive Balance, and Feel Better Fast!
  • Chasing Life: New Discoveries in the Search for Immortality to Help You Age Less Today
  • The Complete Low-FODMAP Diet: A Revolutionary Plan for Managing IBS and Other Digestive Disorders
  • Genreflecting: A Guide to Popular Reading Interests (Genreflecting Advisory Series)
  • The Body Doesn't Lie: A 3-Step Program to End Chronic Pain and Become Positively Radiant