Start by marking “Finding Sanctuary: Monastic Steps for Everyday Life” as Want to Read:
Finding Sanctuary: Monastic Steps for Everyday Life

Finding Sanctuary: Monastic Steps for Everyday Life

4.15 of 5 stars 4.15  ·  rating details  ·  185 ratings  ·  25 reviews

In Finding Sanctuary Abbot Christopher Jamison, host of the BBC television series The Monastery, suggests the 1,500 year-old teachings of St. Benedict offer insights for everyday lifefor those who are religious and for those simply searching for spiritual guidance.
By integrating modern realities and the wisdom of St. Benedict's Rule, monasteries continue to be places of s

Published May 5th 2009 by Liturgical Press, The (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Finding Sanctuary, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Finding Sanctuary

Brian Robbins
Was sent this by a friend and was unsure what to expect. A book to accompany a TV series I didn't see, I probably would not have picked it up of my own accord, but have rarely been so grateful for an unsolicited book sent to me.

Christopher Jamison managed to use the 170 small pages of quite large print to provide a great distillation of learning and wisdom, in a very accessible way. It was full of very helpful and encouraging material, but not at all short on challenge.

One of those books that w
Andrew Doohan
This a wonderful summary of the beauty and wisdom to be found in the Rule of St Benedict as expressed by someone who has lived that Rule for over forty years.

Inspired by his community's involvement in a BBC TV series entitled The Monastery, and using the imagery of building a sanctuary, Abbot Christopher Jamison draws out the fundamental lessons of the monastic life has for the everyday life of the Christian - or indeed non-believer.

This book is very accessible, very readable, thought-provoking,
Pat Loughery
Finding Sanctuary
by Abbot Christopher Jamison
Liturgical Press (2006)

Description of the Book
Modern life is characterized by an overwhelming sense of busyness. The Rule of St. Benedict, written 1500 years ago for an Italian abbey, provides practical insights about Christian living that can be applied today and provide sanctuary from this busyness for everyday people and monastics alike.

Interpretation of the Book
Finding Sanctuary grew out of Abbot Jamison’s experience on the BBC reality TV show Th
Abailart
Came my way accidentally. I'd put it onto an amazon order before Christmas as a present for someone who liked the Abbot's words, but I found her a signed copy in a local bookshop. So I got it along with my first January order from amazon since I had not deleted the order list. I like it. I saw the TV series, and have a soft spot for Abbots and monasteries. Seven steps to sanctuary. But I fall at the first which is being nice to everyone all the time, and I kind of resent the routine and somewhat ...more
Laura Macdonald
The author, who is the Abbot of Worth Abbey in the UK, has many points to make in this book which would be relevent to both the religious and the non-religious. His gentle approach at times, felt like a very clever way to convert me to Christianity, but perhaps that was just my own paranoia, as the advice that he gives applies more to the busy lifestyles which we have willingly and gradually seized, so that most of us feel like we are always either chasing our tails or chasing the wrong dreams, ...more
Julie Luekenga
In a BBC series, "The Monastery", five diverse Englishmen enter a monastery. The resulting reality show follows their 40-day stay and transformation. The show was a hit and thousands of people sought retreat at the monastery. This book is the author's (the Abbot of the monastery) response-- how to find sanctuary in every day life. He outlines 7 steps including, silence, contemplation, obedience, humility, community, spirituality, and hope. While he is open and honest that he is approaching these ...more
Teresa
This book is the best introduction to TRUE CHRISTIAN prayer that I have ever found!!! It is written to a non-Christian audience, so I feel 100% comfortable giving this to anyone I meet. It is non-threatening Christian literature to those who are on the fence or even hostile to Christianity. It gives great commentary on society and culture and teaches the importance of silence and meditation for wherever you are on your spiritual journey.

This book is a one-in-a-million find!!!
Amy Perry
While I'm still on the fence re. God, this book certainly makes a good case for him without being preachy or judgemental, the observations are spot on and beautiful, the book really makes you think and want to change your lifestyle. It was a book I feel glad to have read and while my religion remains an intensly personal thing this book has made those first steps to something else that little bit easier, a beautiful and inspiring piece of work.
Glenn
Dit boek geeft een goede blik binnen de spiritualiteit van de Benedictijnen als je het boek ook wilt verinnerlijken is wel een zeer grondige lezing vereist. Overpeinzing is broodnodig het kan welkom zijn als u al enig begrip van contemplatie hebt. Maar dit is niet nodig. Er zitten heel veel schatten in te ontdekken maar voor een lezer die niet geoefend is met dit soort boeken is het misschien best wat zwaar.
Nathanial
Brief meditations on Benedictine spirituality. Central device is use architectural metaphor to consider, chapter by chapter, monastic practices. One chapter on building a door, another on laying the floor, building the walls, etc. Chapter topics include silence, community, obedience, humility, etc. Funny and moving at times.
Malcolm
An exploration of the Benedictine Rule which does not fall short of ensuring ways of applying this rule to the whole of life are explored. Links in helpfully with the story of the five men who featured in the BBC series "The Monastery" and each chapter ends with good follow up suggestions.

Regina Heater
Highly recommended. The author's metaphor of building a sanctuary for one's life using Benedict's Rule is creative and an excellent introduction to the Rule and applying it to the laity. A great resource for a short-term group study, as the chapters are short yet filled with discussion points.
Chrissy
I was hoping for something a bit more universal in regards to monasticism but this was interesting nonetheless, learned some about the Benedictines. I'll be passing it along to my Catholic friend as I think she'll enjoy it and get a lot more out of it than I did.
Mike Print
This is a reasonable book. It has some really useful points that are worth thinking through. I struggled with the way he made it sound like a self-help book rather than calling us to rely upon God,
Tim Gannon
It's an order in England who base their monastic community on St Benedict - the book shares the wisdom of the order and how you can adopt it in your own life
Maria
Enjoyed the book. It was thought provoking in looking at ways that peace can be found in your life (and what stops peace).
Maggie
28 june 2008 first listen
9 november 2010 second listen

so excellent. and now there is the big silence. even better i suspect.
Ed
Worth reading. Probably aimed at a readership who are less familiar with the Christian life, but still good to read.
Sorcha
If you are struggling with time in our busy world, take time out to read this little book
and its wonderful message.
Jo
a guide to making space for silence in your life and all the benefits of finding that place of serenity
Helen
Quality message from da book it's totally what is needed today as life gets well busy full of stuff!
Colemore
A good introduction to finding peace within ones own mind and an interesting perspective on monastic life.
Trefor Bark
a good place to start for those struggling to find inner peace.
Liza Ann  Acosta
Pretty fantastic book. Depth and wisdom gained.
MaryAnn
MaryAnn marked it as to-read
Mar 17, 2015
Marianne
Marianne marked it as to-read
Mar 14, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • An Infinity of Little Hours: The Trial of Faith of Five Young Men in the Western World's Most Austere Monastic Order
  • Seeking God: The Way of St. Benedict
  • The Song of the Bird
  • The Sign of Jonas
  • The Rule of Saint Benedict
  • Listening to Your Life: Daily Meditations with Frederick Buechner
Finding Happiness: Monastic Steps for a Fulfilling Life Finding Happiness: Monastic Steps for a Fulfilling Life Odnaleźć schronienie The Disciples' Call: Theologies of Vocation from Scripture to the Present Day To Live is to Change: A Way of Reading Vatican II