Start by marking “That Scandalous Evening (Governess Brides #1)” as Want to Read:
That Scandalous Evening  (Governess Brides #1)

That Scandalous Evening (Governess Brides #1)

3.85  ·  Rating Details ·  2,335 Ratings  ·  106 Reviews
New York Times bestselling author Christina Dodd spins the captivating tale of a nobleman whose path crosses again with the one woman he absolutely cannot resist . . . .

A Disastrous Season

A simple statue began the scandal.

A Lady Concealed

An innocent English miss conceived of it, her hands gliding across the clay, delineating each smoothly defined muscle and sinew, creati
Published October 13th 2009 by HarperCollins e-books (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about That Scandalous Evening, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about That Scandalous Evening

Tammy Walton Grant
In 1809 unmarried ladies weren't supposed to think about, much less sculpt, the male figure. Why, the attention to detail a sculptor gives to the male physique even makes ME blush:

As "That Scandalous Evening" opens, our heroine has done just that. Deep in the throes of unrequited, virginal love for Ransom Quincy, Marquess of Blackburn (who is completely undeserving, I might add) she has poured her heart and soul into a sculpture of her beloved.

This sculpture, of course, is never meant to be seen
Catherine
This was my first book by Christina Dodd, and I was pleased by how much I enjoyed it. She's got such a large backlist that I'll have a lot of reading material to catch up on, yeah!

The beginning of this book was almost painful to read. Not in a bad way, more in an embarrassed for the character way. Poor Jane. I found it amusing that she assumed that people didn't like her statue because it wasn't good enough. Jane lived in society, but at times it seemed as though she marched to a different drumm
Kinga
Nov 22, 2016 Kinga rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This started off really strong, even despite some mild rapey vibes.
Angst, hatred, scandal, passion!

And then halfway through it just really, really lost the momentum and fizzled into endless passionate kissing and passionate sulking that wasn't following a clear logical, emotional structure.

The sex scenes were really cringe-worthy. But hey, I made it all the way to the end and must say the spy intrigue was more believable than the romance.
Vintage
I was looking forward to this, but the story lagged and the hero, hah the hero, needed a two by four upside the head. Oooh, new category!

Plot: Backstory is the heroine was having a mediocre season in part due to her desire to be an artist and in part she's in love with the high-flying hero. She knows she is not in his league, but is happy to adore from afar. She is humiliated, as is he, when another sneaky deb unveils a statue, a nude statue, the heroine sculpted of the hero. She is laughed out
Barbara
Mar 28, 2009 Barbara rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I thought Ransom was a real jerk, and my opinion never wavered from that. Jane should have moved to Paris to live her dream as an artist, but of course she got duped by a man with way more experience than her, and fell in love. My favorite reads are historical romances and this same scenario is in every book so I don't really know why it bothered me so much. I'm normally not so "I am women hear me roar" but this book really p'd me off ;)
Jackie
Oct 15, 2010 Jackie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
2.5 Dodd often has great concepts/hooks, but I find her plotting to be rather silly and her character development all tell and no show. Though this book got positive reviews elsewhere, I didn't think it much better than any of the others of hers I've read. Guess I'm just not a fan of the "excuse any plot/character confusion, as long as it's funny" type of romance...
Lucina
May 01, 2017 Lucina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

"That Scandalous Evening" was surprisinly good (after I didn't like "One Kiss From You"), although I doubt that I will read more books by Christina Dodd. The next novels in this series don't sound interesting enough.

I always love "secretly (or in this case not so secretly) in love for years" stories and Jane was an amazing heroine. I liked her so much, more than Ransom! And that doesn't happen very often. ;-) She wasn't behaving like a 28-year-old woman (more like "new adult") but I li
Jupiter394

I did enjoy the book but it was just okay.

Some of my complaints are:

- the current day language was a little out of place.
- I really didn't feel the ending. It was just lacking in emotion and was just like a quick wrap-it-up.
- some of the other characters seemed more interesting than the main characters.
- the main male character was not very likable.
- for someone who suffered great public humiliation before, the main character certainly doesn't mind putting herself in danger again.

A few things
Maria
I prefer my historicals to be somewhat knowledgeable about the times written about. I couldn't get much idea of what time in history in which this book was supposed to occur. The sudden inclusion of 21st century dialogue was jarring, to say the least, and the plot was so fictional that I had to finally decide to read it as a fairy tale so that I could enjoy it. After that I did, in fact, enjoy the book. Ms.Dodd can write well enough to keep one's interest. Evidently she has no desire to create t ...more
Keri
This was just an ok read for me. Ransom never redeemed himself to me. He was a priggish idiot 10 years ago and he never lost that status for me. I thought Jane was a bit too doormattish is some ways. The last 10 pages of the book just didn't make up for the rest.

Brenda
I finished a book called Strange Capers that claimed to be a romance but was more of a mystery with spies, traitors and the dreaded French. All that reminded of this long time favorite. So I have reread it. It is still such a good way to pass an evening. It has spies, traitors and the dreaded French. It has so much humor. It has two powerful personalities butting heads. It has some very sexy scenes. It has a hero that doesn't realize he is up to his eyeballs in love with the amazing Jane and tha ...more
Anna Marie
_inbetween_
Surprisingly good. All the reviews I saw spoil for something that the book manages to hide and tease about until rather late in the story, which is a shame. They also indicate the hero is being unloveable and the heroine unfairly treated, which made me wary - and was luckily untrue! I have read way too many current romance novels that all delight in the subjogation of the heroine in various ways, and this is actually completely the opposite.

Bearing in mind that Dodd writes a lot and is a mainstr
Mina
3rd review:

So I re-read this book after five years and my opinion has changed completely. Third time's the charm? Or is it that I'm now the same age as Jane and I find myself interested in different things than I used to care about? I don't know what it is really. But damn I liked this book a lot better than I remembered. Maybe the plot feels less disjointed because I already knew how it would go - even though I forgot enough of the details to be intrigued and surprised at the various moments of
Stacey
Aug 11, 2015 Stacey rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I wanted to love this book, and I did finish it. (It was fine, really.) The characters were lively and engaging and everything I look for. But... but...

1. The dialogue just isn't as tight as I expect. It felt like pieces of it had been edited out or perhaps there had been placeholders put in. It just didn't feel natural or quite "fit" the characters as I would have liked.

2. Lady, if a super-hot, rich Duke that happens to be sleeping with you believes you're a spy, and you let your principals t
Robin
Aug 04, 2015 Robin rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This one threw me for a loop. I was so intrigued by the premise. Jane, this artist who modeled a hot man she secretly admired. And Ransom , the brooding soldier working to find a spy. But so many thing bugged me. Dodd actually referred to her purse? What? There were other weird words, that did not fit the time period. Through in the predictable ending. And that Jane knew more about Espionage than the Foreign Affairs Office. I may just be picky. I did enjoy it.
Christine Anna  Kirchoff
I read this awhile ago but I never rated it on here. Fabulous series!
ChloeLeeNH
Feb 19, 2008 ChloeLeeNH rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Regency Era fans
I enjoyed this book... I love the reveal of what the actual torment of the hero was and why he was so upset at her for her sculpture. I would love to reread this one sometime!
Marianne
Sep 15, 2013 Marianne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good historical fiction, romance and mystery. Well done
Ilze
Oct 13, 2010 Ilze rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dnf
Could not finish. Too many cringe-inducing situations.
KimberlyRose
I wish the romance story had been Adorna and Daniel's. Instead, it's Adorna's aunt, Jane, a heroine likeable for her downtrodden life, but mostly a boring and annoyingly talented artist, and a dashingly but dickish, prideful Lord, who does do a fine grovel and believable change.

Adorna, on the other hand, was fascinating. Presented as a "bimbo," I suspected hidden depths from the insights and kindnesses she gently wove in with no one noticing. And old man Daniel. Now there's an interesting story
Sarah Wilson
May 08, 2017 Sarah Wilson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017, romance
There was a definite need for a suspension of disbelief with this book, but I still thoroughly enjoyed it.
Gloriamarie
Feb 05, 2017 Gloriamarie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyable bit of fluff with well-developed characters and a fun, interesting plot.
Michelle Snow
Nov 05, 2016 Michelle Snow rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: could-not-finish
I couldn't finish this one. Was not a fan of the writing style.
Marita
Jun 08, 2014 Marita rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I don't know what to think of this book.

On the one hand, I LOVED the heroine Jane. She was so intelligent and passionate and artistically brilliant. In her youth she'd been so eager just to gaze upon Blackburn, the "hero", and after ruin forced her to mature early she was so resilient and determined that her niece would fare better. I LOVED her for throwing Blackburn's idiocy in his face after the true extent of his mistrust in her and betrayal of her became apparent. Poor dear, all she ever wan
Andyg.
Christina Dodd- Escandalo nocturno "La belleza de la joven era tan rutilante que casi hería la vista" "Las pestañas caían sobre sus sesgados ojos de intenso azul de un modo que parecía atraer y rechazar a un tiempo lo que hacia enloquecer a los hombres, ya fuesen jóvenes o viejos." "él descubrió que, sin querer, estaba modificando su propia actitud para adaptarse a la de ella" "Pero Jane sólo tenía ojos para Blackburn" "Sus ojos azules la perforaban como una llama, aunque en ese momento la llama ...more
Becca
Jan 04, 2014 Becca rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
I don't know why I liked this book. The hero is a pompous boor and the heroine is a goddess he doesn't deserve...and yet, I still liked this book. The intrigue played out like a farce instead of a truly serious matter. There were more nasty characters than nice characters. There was a woman whose boobs were the size of large melons while her brain was the size of a pea. And I'll say again, the hero was a pompous boor. Somehow, despite all of these characteristics that typically make me hate a bo ...more
WTF Are You Reading?
While it is true that the English ton can, and have come up with more reasons for shaming and ostracizing poor hapless maidens than almost any other social group in history. The reasoning for what takes place in Christina Dodd's That Scandalous Evening, has to be the most ridiculous yet.

It appears that a very young and very infatuated Jane Higginbotham takes it upon herself to sculpt a very life like statue of her crush. One Lord Blackburn.
So life like in fact, that Blackburn is believed to have
Juliana Philippa
Very enjoyable!! I absolutely loved Jane - a wonderful, unique, and strong heroine. She was a perfect match for and could definitely handle Ransom. Someone needs to keep him in check and take him down a few notches and it's very enjoyable watching that happen :-). Also had great secondary characters (specifically Susan, Ransom's sister - *loved* her!!).

Note: If you're a fan of Dodd's Governess Brides series, this is the prequel.

(Written September 10, 2010)
Fangirl Musings
Dec 28, 2008 Fangirl Musings rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Romance readers who like just a good ol' fashioned love story
Recommended to Fangirl Musings by: Me, Myself and I
  • The Matchmaker (Maker, #1)
  • Duke of Sin (Duke Trilogy, #1)
  • A Notorious Love (Swanlea Spinsters, #2)
  • The Portrait
  • My False Heart (Lorimer Family & Clan Cameron, #1)
  • The Price Of Desire
  • Lessons in French
  • Follow My Lead (The Blue Raven, #3)
  • Sleepless at Midnight (Mayhem in Mayfair, #1)
  • Untie My Heart
  • Lady Gallant (European Renaissance Duo, #1; Ladies, #1)
  • An Invitation to Sin (Griffin Family, #2)
  • Guilty Pleasures (Guilty, #1)
  • My Pleasure (The Rose Hunters Trilogy #2)
  • The Devil's Waltz
  • Midnight's Wild Passion
  • Pleasures of a Notorious Gentleman (London's Greatest Lovers, #2)
  • Scandal
New in 2017:
— THE WOMAN WHO COULDN'T SCREAM: Virtue Falls Full-length Suspense #4 Sept. 5, 2017 in hardcover, ebook and audio. Do put it on your To-Read list!
Now out!
-- BECAUSE I'M WATCHING: Virtue Falls Full-length Suspense #3 (2016 Amazon Best of Romance, #1 Amazon Romance of September, Kirkus starred review, Booklist starred review and Best of 2016, Li
More about Christina Dodd...

Governess Brides (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • Rules of Surrender (Governess Brides, #2)
  • Rules of Engagement (Governess Brides, #3)
  • Rules of Attraction (Governess Brides, #4)
  • In My Wildest Dreams (Governess Brides, #5)
  • Lost in Your Arms (Governess Brides, #6)
  • My Favorite Bride (Governess Brides, #7)
  • My Fair Temptress (Governess Brides, #8)
  • In Bed with the Duke (Governess Brides, #9)
  • Taken by the Prince (Governess Brides #10)
  • A Pirate's Wife for Me (Governess Brides, #11)