Start by marking “The Gospel and the Mind: Recovering and Shaping the Intellectual Life” as Want to Read:
The Gospel and the Mind: Recovering and Shaping the Intellectual Life

The Gospel and the Mind: Recovering and Shaping the Intellectual Life

really liked it 4.0  ·  Rating Details ·  53 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews
History demonstrates that wherever the cross is planted, the academy follows. But history alone cannot demonstrate why this is--and must be--the case. Green engages theology and philosophy to prove that the Christian vision of God, mankind, and the world provides the necessary precondition for and enduring foundation of meaningful intellectual life.

The Gospel and the Mind,
Published November 3rd 2010 by Crossway Books

To ask other readers questions about The Gospel and the Mind, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Gospel and the Mind

David Goetz
Nov 24, 2016 David Goetz rated it liked it
Pretty solid, lucid introduction to the life of the mind from a Christian perspective. This would work well as a sort of introduction to the life of the mind for college students, and I recommend it pretty highly for educators.

Green argues two theses. First, the Christian understanding of reality provides the necessary precondition for any genuinely meaningful intellectual life. Second, the Christian understanding of reality gives the intellectual life a particular shape. These two theses are
John Gardner
Jun 19, 2011 John Gardner rated it really liked it
Throughout history, schools and other institutions of learning have followed the spread of the gospel. Why is that? What is the connection between the intellect and the Christian faith? What has happened in recent history to cause Christianity to now be commonly associated with anti-intellectualism?

Bradley Green, a professor at Union University and co-founder of Augustine School — a classical Christian school in Jackson, TN — investigates these questions in his latest book. His thesis is that th
Chris Little
Aug 01, 2013 Chris Little rated it it was amazing
In the 'vibe' of the modern world, my impression is that the life of the mind is most commonly associated with the secular and dissociated from the Christian church. Witness: the (strange!) assumed opposition between science and Christianity; the absence of theologians from the standard panel of folks called to speak on big issues; arguments against God do not need to be arguments for mockery suffices.

Christians have not always been helpful, either. I've received earnest advice saying, 'Oh, don'
Mark Peskett
Oct 05, 2015 Mark Peskett rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a short, succinct, but also substantive book about the intellectual life from a Christian perspective. Green well argues that the intellectual life is not merely one of several ways that one can choose to approach the Christian life, but indeed is itself grounded 'in' and best flourishes 'because of' the truth of Christianity. He does so along five main lines:

1. Creation: since the fact that the universe has been created by God, it exists for a purpose and exists to be known by beings su
John
Jun 10, 2011 John rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2011
Green asks the question, "What does the gospel have to do with the life of the mind?" (p. 11) He answers it in a not unsurprising way, but the path he takes to get there is an interesting and very important one. He answers, following Augustine, Pascal, and others: "...all knowing is inextricably moral, and the only way to have our loves ordered rightly is through Christ." (p. 178)

He also writes, "...all knowledge, at the end of the day, can only be accounted for with the insights provided by the
Jennifer Busick
Jan 07, 2012 Jennifer Busick rated it really liked it
Recommended to Jennifer by: Sean Busick
"(T)he anti-intellectualism that sometimes marks traditional Christianity needs to be addressed," says Green in his epilogue, and he is absolutely correct. "The Christian faith encourages attention to the world, its structures, and its mysteries" and provides a structure, a language, and a narrative in which to comprehend these things, and in which to connect and discover the reality of God's creation and the enduring truth of his word. As Green puts it, "we should always think in radically ...more
Ryan Linkous
May 11, 2015 Ryan Linkous rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book by one of my undergraduate advisors, Dr. Brad Green. It's a really helpful piece on the theological nature of knowledge. Green depends heavily on Augustine and CS Lewis, but his presents a coherent vision for a Christian understanding of knowledge.

Tips:
-If you want the thrust of the book, read the Epilogue b/c he summarizes all of his arguments there.
-I would suggest most people skip chapters 4 and 5 about the Christian nature of language. This is not because it's unimportant
Robert Lyon
May 16, 2015 Robert Lyon rated it really liked it
There were many helpful and thought-provoking ideas in this book. While the Introduction and the first three chapters were especially helpful in establishing Greene's thesis, chapters 4-5 (while my favorite chapters) felt a bit detached from the flow of his argument. Overall, the book casts an inspiring and compelling vision for pursuing a distinctly Christian intellectual life.

Lastly, Greene's footnotes are amazing. Every chapter introduced me to several fascinating papers, articles, books, et
Michael
Feb 08, 2012 Michael rated it really liked it
Shelves: theology, ministry
Great.

knowledge, at the end of the day, can only be accounted for with the insights provided by the Christian vision of God, man, and the world. I have not suggested that only Christians have knowledge, although I have said that a fuller knowledge requires minds and hearts transformed by Christ. I have argued that it is the Christian understanding of reality that can account for the possibility of the intellectual life.

Green, Bradley G. (2010-11-03). The Gospel and the Mind (p. 180). Good News P
Andrew Mcneill
Jul 11, 2012 Andrew Mcneill rated it really liked it
Good read but the chapter on deconstruction is too abstract. The idea of a transcendental signified needs to be fleshed out a bit more. It also needs to be borne in mind that deconstructionism in its hardest forms is a bit old-fashioned.
The other chapters are very good and worth reading to give an overview of a Christian perspective of education and learning.
Lisa Loree
May 01, 2014 Lisa Loree rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent apologetic.

I chose this book as a starting point in my personal quest to clarify what a paradigm that integrates Christianity, Psychology, and philosophy might look like. It was a great starting point.
Daniel
Jul 07, 2012 Daniel rated it it was amazing
An excellent book that I highly recommend. Green does a fantastic job linking the intellectual life to the centrality and affects of the Gospel. I'm excited to use this book with Christian freshman undergrads to "till the soil" for the significance of their college years.
Steve
Dec 13, 2015 Steve rated it it was amazing
This was really excellent . Green has a good knowledge of the Fathers and Medievals, as well Calvin, which, combined with careful scripture handling, means we have a very fresh account of the Christian mind.
Evan Knies
Evan Knies rated it liked it
Sep 21, 2015
Tim
Tim rated it it was amazing
Aug 05, 2013
Bill
Bill rated it it was amazing
Mar 16, 2015
Russell Freeman
Russell Freeman rated it really liked it
Jan 16, 2014
Trevor Binkley
Trevor Binkley rated it really liked it
Aug 19, 2012
Kristen Wilson
Kristen Wilson rated it really liked it
Mar 06, 2016
Nicole Moran
Nicole Moran rated it really liked it
Aug 05, 2016
Jacob Young
Jacob Young rated it it was amazing
Sep 20, 2011
Jesy Cordle
Jesy Cordle rated it really liked it
Oct 29, 2013
Frances
Frances rated it really liked it
Jul 28, 2014
Philip
Philip rated it really liked it
Feb 02, 2014
Nate Claiborne
Nate Claiborne rated it liked it
Dec 23, 2012
David
David rated it it was amazing
May 10, 2011
Brad
Brad rated it it was amazing
Nov 02, 2014
John
John rated it really liked it
Nov 23, 2013
Allen
Allen rated it really liked it
Jul 22, 2013
Jesse
Jesse rated it liked it
Jul 18, 2012

“Redemption in its fullest sense is both something applied to us at a particular moment (it is punctiliar) and an ongoing process (it is progressive).” 0 likes