Start by marking “Smoke Screen” as Want to Read:
Smoke Screen

Smoke Screen

3.76 of 5 stars 3.76  ·  rating details  ·  427 ratings  ·  40 reviews
Through an inexplicable series of unwanted promotions, Trevor Barnett has become the lead spokesman for the tobacco industry just as it's on the verge of extinction. Plaintiff's attorneys have finally found the weakness they'd been searching for and filed a $200 billion lawsuit that the industry will be unable to appeal.

America's tobacco companies react by doing the unthin
Published September 15th 2003 by Putnam Adult (first published August 28th 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Smoke Screen, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Smoke Screen

Tom Tischler
This is an older book from 2003 by Kyle Mills and it's
about the tobacco industry. Trevor Barnett is the scion of
an old tobacco family. He is 31 and will come into a trust
fund worth 10 million when he reaches 60 as long as he has
been continuously employed from graduation until his 60th
birthday by the cigarette company his grandfather founded.
Trevor is not the most motivated person and at this time the
tobacco industry is facing a multi billion dollar lawsuit
which could bankrupt them. The indu
West Mack
i give this to my preachy nonsmoking friends and tell them to suck it. furthermore i didnt realize that big tobacco made powdered doughnuts
Cheryl Gatling
If you told me that a book where talking heads discuss the various perspectives on smoking and also the history of smoking legislation, is actually entertaining, I would have been skeptical. But Mills dramatizes a pivotal moment for the smoking industry. They are about to lose a multi-billion dollar law suit. Between repeated lawsuits, tougher warnings, and hostile public opinion, the tobacco industry is running scared. Will this latest lawsuit ruin them? Put them out of business? Will they even ...more
Jacob
In many ways Kyle Mills's Smoke Screen is similar to Christopher Buckley's novel, which was later turned into a film by the same name, Thank You For Smoking both are about a tobacco industry spokes person dealing with the internal politics of the Tobacco industry while trying simultaneously to deal with their complicated love life and Washington's love hate relationship with cigarettes. The difference is that Mills' is the far superior narrative.

Smoke Screen is the story of Trevor Barnett, The l
Phyllis Sommers
A quirky novel, with a somewhat quirky protagonist, both of which grew on me. Trevor Barnett, 35-year old heir to huge tobacco company, Terra, has never been happy with his adult life. Working in a fairly menial capacity for Terra, mainly to secure his trust fund, Trevor also participates in the anti-smoking group, Smokeless Youth, to assuage his guilt about the harmful effects of tobacco. It is at SY where he meets and falls in love with Anne Kimball, a dedicated SY employee. As Trevor attempts ...more
Shelley aka Gizmo's Reviews
Trevor Barnett is the scion of an old tobacco family. Trevor is 32 and will come into a USD 10 million trust fund when he turns 60 so long as he has been in continuous employment from graduation until his 60th birthday with the cigarette company his ancestor founded. Trevor is consequently not the most motivated person in the world - at least when the novel opens.

At the beginning of SMOKE SCREEN, the tobacco industry is facing a multi-billion dollar lawsuit which could bankrupt the industry. But
LJ
SMOKE SCREEN (Thriller-Cont) - G
Kyle Mills – Standalone
Signet-2004, Paperback
Trevor Barnett, living off a trust fund and promised inheritance, is a descendant of the founders of the tobacco industry. He is drifting through his job and life until a one-line report ends up being seen by the company’s CEO, resulting in a promotion and confusing thrust into the front line of a battle between the tobacco industry, federal government and anti-smoking proponents.
*** More a fantasy than a thriller, this
Bob
Trevor Barnet is the scion of a family high in the tobacco empire. His father is a lawyer in the company and Trevor has a so so make work type of a job with the company to meet the requirements of his trust fund. Mainly he is leading a playboy life although not a carefree one. The company is fighting a huge class action lawsuit and if they loose his trust will take a hit along with the company. Trevor is brought into a plan by one of the executives and made an unwitting dupe in his plan to disru ...more
Lisa
A very unique and original concept and quite thought provoking for a fictional novel. What if that really happened in real life. My first descriptive thought for the novel was "a high stakes game of chicken."
Laurel
By following the bumbling adventures of Trevor Barnet, Smoke Screen takes an highly amusing look at all the various sides of the tobacco industry and the controversy surrounding it. Trevor's situation is sometimes laugh-out-loud funny and sometimes sympathetically serious, but never boring. He is completely unprepared for the limelight he is thrust into, but as he continues to tip toe his way through public appearances - a televised debate, presenting a speech to union workers, dealing the the a ...more
Lasandra Lee
Short, clever and laugh out loud funny at times. The story took a very controversial issue to a place only the light of heart can enjoy.
Steve Matthews
Fun story. If I get asked to recommend a new author to someone, this is one of my 'go to' books.
Samantha
Unbelievably original concept. I really enjoyed this book. I'm not going to go into the plot since so many has already written about it. It's very original and gives both sides of the smoking debate. There are a lot of twists in it that you don't see coming and you fall in and out of love with the lead characters. Mr. Mills leaves you hanging in a lot of instances for chapters while you are trying to figure out what is happening and why. It's extremely well written and I highly recommend it. I w ...more
Joanne
great page turner, really makes you "appreciate" the tobacco industry!
Marcin
I picked this book up as part of some "2 for $20" thing a few years ago. $20 was cheap for the book I actually wanted, so this was just the one that seemed most interesting of the other books in the sale.

Anyhoo, it was a surprisingly entertaining book. A surreal look at the tobacco indsutry in the US, while not having too many similarities it kind of reminded me of the movie Thank You For Smoking (which is based on a book, but I haven't read that).
Lisa
This is the first Kyle Mills book that I wasn't thrilled with. One of the reasons is that I didn't really like the main character, Trevor Barnett. The other reason is that it seemed that the entire book was made up of a bunch of unlikable characters arguing. I listened to this book on cd while on a long drive, so that may have made a difference. I literally had these people shouting at me in the car.
Sue
I really didn't want to read this at the time, but it was loaned to me by an acquaintance - I thought that it was going to be like The Insider.

Was a young man (early 30s), ancestor of one of the pioneers of the tobacco industry, ends up being the spokesperson for Big Tobacco. It gave me a perspective on the tobacco industry that i wasn't expecting. Always nice to be surprised by a book.
Ed Schmidt
This is a fictional story of the rise, fall, and re-emergence of the tobacco industry. About to be sued into oblivion, a file clerk is promoted to VP, actually as a dupe for the CEO so none of the blame fell on him. Trevor Barnett, however, worked a miracle and saved the industry. All in all, a rather boring book with a predictable story line and a lackluster ending.
Amanda
Its a page turning thriller that will have you really thinking about the world you know. Secrets, scandals, family disfunction and a love interest all blown together. Mills has a great ability of getting you behind the scenes and interested in what happens in the world of big tobacco. It really had me thinking and making more aware of tobaccos presence in the world.
J. Ewbank
An interesting if perhaps unbelievable read. There is just enough possibility to be somewhat plausible. Laughed several times reading it. About the tobacco industry and the government and what happened when the tobacco industry shut down. Amazing thesis!

J. Robert Ewbank author "John Wesley, Natural Man, and the 'Isms'"
Anita
Enjoyed much more than I thought I would. So over the edge that it really made sense. The tobacco industry should have representatives look into some of the ideas of character Trevor. He developes from a puppet into a shrewd guy; an enjoyable story with surprises, intrigue, a bit of romance and the great American value, GREED.
Dick Gullickson
Aimless young man drifts through job with the tobacco industry to become their chief spokesman. Implausible but interesting. Kyle Mills always does a pretty good job with character development; however, If you want to read one of Kyle's books, highly recommend "Fade."
Arul Murugan
Jan 30, 2014 Arul Murugan rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: whoever likes John Grisham & Sidney Sheldon
Read it, a year back, But when I came here, i searched for this book so I can give this book a 5 star.... I really liked this book very much....The best thing about this is, The plot is very fresh and very entertaining....You will all love it
Iain
Very easy to read, with great dialogue and some little events that had me sniggering. As it went on, I just didn't want to put it down at the end of a chapter and ended up blasting through the second half in a couple of days.
Srinivas Iyer
Tobacco is an enemy authors love to go after. In most cases, the approach and postulations are very predictable. In such a scenario, Smoke Screen stands out as a novel with a difference.
Thoroughly enjoyed reading this one.
T Dale
May 25, 2009 T Dale added it
Great thriller with a plot set on a large stage involving the tobacco industry and politicians and labor unions. Boy gets girl, beats bad guys. Well written. Flows nicely. Good beach book.
Mike
Nov 13, 2007 Mike rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Smokers, ex-smokers and anti-smoking fascists
Another Mills hit is a fantasy on exposing the hypocrisy of the anti-smoking movement, while still skewering the unlikeable tobacco industry. Completely enjoyable and also rings true.
Kevin
Jun 10, 2008 Kevin added it
Great novel about the inner workings of the tobacco industry and one of the most relate-able heroes I've seen Mills create since Mark Beamon.

Sex, Smokes, and Jokes.
Susan
Picked this up on a whim but I was greatly surpised. The style is quick accessible ready but it certainly leaves you with something to think about.
Cariboo
I started and stopped this book 2 times before it finally grabbed me the third time. I found the story thought provoking and entertaining.
  • More Than Courage (Nathan Dixon, #3)
  • The Threat (Dan Lenson, #9)
  • Edge of Battle (Jason Richter, #2)
  • Storm Flight (Wings of War, #5)
  • Victory
  • Icefire
  • The Kingmaker (Sean Drummond, #3)
  • Storm Surge
  • The Wind Chill Factor
  • Liberators (The Coming Collapse)
  • Cauldron
Kyle Mills lives in Jackson Hole, Wyoming, where he spends his time skiing, rock climbing and writing books.

Series:
* Mark Beamon

More about Kyle Mills...
The Ares Decision (Covert-One, #8) Rising Phoenix (Mark Beamon, #1) The Utopia Experiment (Covert-One, #10) Storming Heaven (Mark Beamon, #2) The Immortalists