Start by marking “My Business Is to Create: Blake's Infinite Writing” as Want to Read:
My Business Is to Create: Blake's Infinite Writing

My Business Is to Create: Blake's Infinite Writing

4.11  ·  Rating Details  ·  18 Ratings  ·  8 Reviews
For William Blake, living is creating, conforming is death, and “the imagination . . . is the Human Existence itself.” But why are imagination and creation—so vital for Blake—essential for becoming human? And what is imagination? What is creation? How do we create? Blake had answers for these questions, both in word and in deed, answers that serve as potent teachings for a ...more
Published May 1st 2011 by University Of Iowa Press

To ask other readers questions about My Business Is to Create, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about My Business Is to Create

Birgit
Jun 09, 2011 Birgit rated it it was amazing
While I only knew William Blake through his poetry – and I absolutely love “Auguries of Innocence” – and that brief glimpse into his work as a painter through watching “Red Dragon” where "The Great Red Dragon and the Woman Clothed in Sun" made its dramatic and edible appearance, I knew little to nothing about Blake himself. So quite obviously my curiosity was sparked when I found out about My Business is to Create: Blake's Infinite Writing.
A short yet captivating read, this book offers insight i
Audrey Layden
Mar 09, 2012 Audrey Layden rated it it was amazing
My Business Is To Create (Blake’s Infinite Writing) by Eric G. Wilson (broadcast 10-17-2011) Based on and celebrating William Blake’s personification of creativity in action, Wilson provides an indispensable writer’s handbook that is a call to consider life itself as a creative act. A small book of just some 85 pages, not including notes, it manages to offer an exquisitely written distillation of Blake’s approach to imagining the world and the effect it has had on so many of those who followed h ...more
Carl Bettis
Aug 28, 2011 Carl Bettis rated it really liked it
The subtitle unfortunately implies that William Blake wrote far too much, but that's not Wilson's point. Nor, despite the author's scholarly credentials, is this an academic work. It's more an extended meditation on Blake's life and works.

Wilson is obviously a Blake enthusiast, and like many Blake enthusiasts he is inclined to claim too much for his hero. For instance, at one point he says that Blake "is probably the first poet in English to see form not as prior to content but as an extension o
Rebecca Reid
Oct 22, 2011 Rebecca Reid rated it liked it
Shelves: b-nonfic-history
My Business Is To Create: Blake’s Infinite Writing by Eric G. Wilson (published May 2001 by University of Iowa Press) is partly an homage to the life of William Blake, partly an exercise in literary criticism of Blake’s writing and messages, and partly a manual in how to apply Blake’s literary approach in successfully creating our own beautiful writing. I don’t consider myself either an expert on Blake or a creative writer but I enjoyed the insights into the creative process. Mr Wilson’s short e ...more
Jeff
Aug 17, 2012 Jeff rated it liked it
Eric Wilson writes as if William Blake -- in the height of his visions -- was able to sit down with his poetic descendants (Alan Ginsberg, Adrienne Rich, Aldous Huxley, Annie Dillard, Jorge Luis Borjes, Ken Kesey and even fussy old C.S. Lewis) and revel in an unending, nonlinear discussion about the power of art and the nature of poetry.
Satia
It helps to be familiar with William Blake. Much of his work can be found online, facsimiles are available both online and in print, and he's canonical enough to be in almost any public library. For more:

Miguel Conner
May 12, 2011 Miguel Conner rated it it was amazing
Just started reading it as Eric will be interviewed for Aeon Byte next week. Will leave my thoughts soon. Eric is not only one of the world's foremost authorities on Blake, he is probably THE authority on Blake's Gnostic leanings.
Darren
Nov 23, 2013 Darren rated it it was amazing
Excellent analysis of Blake's creative process. Really deep philosophically. Had to reread certain parts because I really wanted to understand them. Great reference book for making art or just living.
Terri
Terri is currently reading it
May 06, 2016
David Jardine
David Jardine marked it as to-read
Feb 28, 2016
Mark Davess
Mark Davess marked it as to-read
Dec 31, 2015
Maureen
Maureen marked it as to-read
May 26, 2016
Minamanjari
Minamanjari marked it as to-read
Dec 07, 2015
Grant
Grant marked it as to-read
Sep 13, 2015
Noah Lyons
Noah Lyons rated it it was amazing
Jan 20, 2016
Aidan Fay
Aidan Fay rated it it was amazing
Jun 24, 2015
Franklin Ridgway
Franklin Ridgway marked it as to-read
Jun 05, 2015
Jenn
Jenn marked it as to-read
May 11, 2015
Zeynep
Zeynep rated it it was amazing
Jul 19, 2015
Stephen
Stephen is currently reading it
Feb 08, 2015
John
John rated it really liked it
Feb 06, 2015
Radeon
Radeon marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2014
Fajr Alzubair
Fajr Alzubair marked it as to-read
Dec 26, 2013
Mariana Licett
Mariana Licett rated it liked it
Jun 25, 2013
David smith
David smith rated it it was amazing
May 07, 2014
Olivia
Olivia marked it as to-read
Nov 07, 2012
Stephanie
Stephanie marked it as to-read
Nov 04, 2012
A
A marked it as to-read
Mar 06, 2012
Evan
Evan is currently reading it
Nov 10, 2014