Start by marking “The Dare (Rystani #2)” as Want to Read:
The Dare (Rystani #2)

The Dare (Rystani #2)

3.82  ·  Rating Details  ·  437 Ratings  ·  18 Reviews
DORA WANTS TO MAKE LOVE

Specifically, Dora wants to make love with the handsome Rystani warrior-pilot Zical. But since Dora is a computer-albeit a sentient computer-she cannot experience touch, taste and true desire. Dora's logic functions refuse to accept this, so she uses the advanced technology of the 24th century to build herself a body specifically crafted to appeal to
Published July 10th 2005 by Tor Books (first published June 28th 2005)

To ask other readers questions about The Dare, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Dare

The Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsThe Host by Stephenie MeyerCatching Fire by Suzanne CollinsMockingjay by Suzanne CollinsDivergent by Veronica Roth
Best Sci-Fi/Futuristic Romance
238th out of 1,106 books — 1,205 voters
Neanderthal Seeks Human by Penny ReidRomancing Mister Bridgerton by Julia QuinnRaid by Kristen AshleyBreathe by Kristen AshleyOwn the Wind by Kristen Ashley
When Crushes Finally Take Notice
44th out of 138 books — 95 voters

More lists with this book...

Nicole
Apr 25, 2009 Nicole rated it liked it
Susan Kearney's The Dare contains two potentially great novels fighting to the death to see if one can win. Unfortunately, the two plots merely injure each other, leaving each storyline licking its wounds and the entire novel in need of medical attention.

Kearney does interesting world-building in her books, and is beginning in this novel to create supporting characters that are on the verge of becoming three-dimensional. Unfortunately, the world-building never fully happens. She shortchanges som
Cameron
Feb 13, 2008 Cameron rated it liked it
Ignore the cover, it makes them look like they've been huffing irradiated spice.
This book is not nearly as bad as it should be, very readable and actually contains things that make it science fiction, like fancy computers and space and fancy technology made by aliens.
Gabriella
A computer that becomes human in order to experience human life and love. Now that would be a book I would have loved to read. The premise was there, but the execution wasn't. The writing and the world-building were good, but this wasn't a story about a computer in love and learning how to be human.
Dora had some minor issues, but they were either solved pretty fast or forgotten. Also as a love story this book was lacking, which is sad as it could have been so much better.
2 stars for a book there
Nath
Apr 01, 2012 Nath rated it it was ok
Shelves: romance, sci-fi, read-2006
Lori
Rating 3.5 stars

While I didn't like this as much as the first book, it was still an enjoyable read. Set about four federation years after the first book, Dora, the funny and fiercely loyal sentient computer who had befriended Tessa, is near completion into growing a body. Excited about the prospect of finally having the capacity to experience the five senses, most especially touch, she has been smitten by the Rystani warrior, Zical since the moment she heard his voice.

This story was a bit out o
Tory Michaels
Jul 12, 2013 Tory Michaels rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley
Holy crap, batman! I loved loved LOVED this book. I wasn't super psyched, though I enjoyed the first book, the Challenge (a 3.4/4-star for me), but this one just blew me out of the water. I'd loved the character of Dora, the computer who helped the prior heroine adapt to life in a new time/space, so I was ecstatic to see she'd gotten her own book. I had no idea how she'd get around the whole fact that she existed as simply (okay, not simply, but you get my meaning) as a computer, rather than a f ...more
Krissys
Nov 13, 2014 Krissys rated it really liked it
Shelves: featured-books, star
I have been a long time fan of Susan Kearney and her work. Not once has any of her books ever let me down. Susan is a fantastic story teller with an amazing talent for creating worlds so real you'd think that she had some secret life somewhere out in the stars.
Susan creates characters that will amaze and frustrate you and make you fall in love all at once. Dora and Zical are no exception.
When Dora joins Zical's crew neither of them can deny each other and despite Zical's past he can't resist t
Gema Wegrzyn
May 19, 2015 Gema Wegrzyn rated it liked it
I loved Dora. That being said this was a slower read than the first one. I think this was because it involved a lot more politics and less interaction between the two love characters. Still a good read!
namericanwordcat
I am thrilled that this book has made its way to e book form. It is a special book that examines what it means to be human and what it means to love through the eyes of a sentient computer who has made herself a body. The world building here is complete and engaging. The hero is someone you would want to make yourself a body for as well. The action adventure compelling and engorssing. The heroine amazing and oh so funny.

I highly recommend this book for any lover of science fiction romance. It a
Melissa McLees
Feb 17, 2016 Melissa McLees rated it it was amazing
Another absolute fantastic book. Wow Susan you are a fantastic author with a great imagination! Please continue to write more books!
Mara Reitsma
Jan 29, 2015 Mara Reitsma rated it it was amazing
I found this book lying on a friend's shelf and once I opened it, I couldn't put it down. I HAD to find the rest of them.... I LOVED IT!!
Timeforme
Main Characters
Dora - A senient computer who builds a human body and transfers her mind into it
Zical - A Rystani warrior who Dora loves

Synopsis:
Dora has fallen in love with Zical and wants to be his human mate so she builds a human body and transfers her mind into it. Now all she has to do is get Zical to admit his interest in her and survive the voyage they both have volunteered to take.

My Thoughts
Not as good as the first book but an okay read. (view spoiler)
Noodle TheNaughtyNightOwl
6/10: Good light-weight read, well done.
Jessica
May 02, 2013 Jessica rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2013
Not really my cup of tea. There were the occasional inconsistencies that were bothersome, character wise and plot wise, as well as a ridiculous stop on a planet with two new crew members who were never mentioned again. The story did not grab my attention and I ended up dropping the book for a few days and picking it back up to finish it and get it out of the way.
Summer
Aug 03, 2010 Summer rated it it was ok
Bradley
May 01, 2011 Bradley rated it liked it
This not-so-trashy romance is a cut above the pack. I actually considered keeping this one. It starts out strong and actually made me keep turning the pages. The premise is delightful and refreshing. The characters are developed nicely. In conclusion, romance lovers might enjoy this work. =)
Elaine
Sep 24, 2013 Elaine rated it liked it
Shelves: 2013-09
I have to say I liked Dora better as a computer. These books are okay, but I can't bring myself to read the rest of them right now.
Karen Desmond
Nov 02, 2011 Karen Desmond rated it it was amazing
Princess Jasmine
Princess Jasmine rated it it was amazing
Aug 24, 2016
Bridget Blackwood
Bridget Blackwood rated it really liked it
Aug 18, 2016
Nerissa
Nerissa marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2016
Melissa Infante
Melissa Infante rated it it was amazing
Aug 15, 2016
Ammie
Ammie added it
Aug 09, 2016
Maggie Breece thatch
Maggie Breece thatch rated it really liked it
Aug 04, 2016
Georgia
Georgia rated it liked it
Aug 08, 2016
Latéa
Latéa added it
Jul 27, 2016
Yvette Wood
Yvette Wood rated it liked it
Jul 26, 2016
Dawn
Dawn rated it it was amazing
Jul 23, 2016
Brittany Devlin
Brittany Devlin is currently reading it
Jul 18, 2016
  • The Star Princess (Star, #3)
  • Shadower (Shielder #2 )
  • Unearthed (UN-Forgettable, #1)
  • The Skypirate (Coalition Rebellion, #2)
  • Day of Fire (2176, #2)
  • City of Tears (Ontarian Chronicles, #3)
  • Stargazer (Oasis, #1)
  • Heart Thief (Celta's Heartmates, #2)
  • Romulus (Innerworld Affairs, #1)
  • Prime Selection (The Prime Chronicles #2)
Susan Kearney used to set herself on fire four times a day, now a USA TODAY—BESTSELLING author, she does something really hot—she writes paranormal romance and romantic suspense for Tor. She can apply the old rule of "write what you know" and never run out of ideas for characters and plots. An All-American and professional diver, expert in martial arts, sailor, real estate broker and owner of a ba ...more
More about Susan Kearney...

Rystani (4 books)
  • The Challenge (Rystani #1)
  • The Ultimatum (Rystani #3)
  • The Quest (Rystani #4)