Invisibile

Invisibile (Admiral Arnold Morgan #3)

3.93 of 5 stars 3.93  ·  rating details  ·  1,202 ratings  ·  21 reviews
Inghilterra, costa sud-occidentale, marzo 2005. Il sottomarino Rayal Navy "Unseen" - classe Upholder -, con a bordo un equipaggio brasiliano impegnato in un duro programma d'addestramento, scompare nel nulla, a poche migliaia al largo di Plymouth. Ventiquattr'ore dopo, la Marina ammette ufficalmente: abbiamo perso un sommergibile. Nessun avvistamento, neanche una vaga eco...more
Published 2000 by Rizzoli (first published January 1st 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Invisibile, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Invisibile

David
Robinson is a master at creating a frightening and compelling plot. He excels at describing naval operations and military hardware and technology. However, in the midst of a fast-paced thriller he begins to suffer as he moves towards a conclusion. As in the first novel ,Nimitz, he begins to stumble forward like a runner who trips and runs forward without really regaining his balance.

Robinson also slips into silly and ignorant ideas as he writes. For example, he has his villain address a high ra...more
Neil
This is the third fictional book written by Patrick Robinson. I see on Goodreads it is indicated as being a part of a series called 'Admiral Arnold Morgan'; it is a nice indicator, I suppose, for this batch of books. I thought it had a good plot and flowed well, overall. It did not grip me quite as much the second time around reading it; I think I mixed parts of this storyline up with Scimitar SL-2 when I started reading this again. This book focused more on the villain, per se, than it did the...more
Jacqui
I almost didn't read the book because of the corny name for the submarine. I'm glad I persevered. Excellent story of an imaginative plot to retrofit a submarine so it can knock high-flying aircraft from the sky. By the time the renovated HMS Unseen downed it's third--and that the Concorde, I wished the F-15 Eagle was out of mothballs and trolling the LEO skies above me. A nuclear sub has never been hijacked, but Robinson makes it believable thanks to the level of detail he includes. He also adds...more
Frederick Bingham
This is another of a series. I read Kilo Class earlier. Ben Adnam is an Iraqi terrorist and submarine captain. He defects to Iran, and steals a diesel-electric sub from the British Navy. He has the sub fitted with a surface-to-air missile system and uses it to shoot down the Concorde and two other airplanes over the North Atlantic. Arnold Morgan is the US National Security Adviser trying to catch Adnam and the submarine.The reader is George Guidall. He does pretty well at catching all the variou...more
Henri Moreaux
To enjoy this book you really need to suspend your critical thinking ability and take it as it is, else you will find yourself wondering why on earth the characters don't do this, or do that.

However, looking past such flaws, it is an interesting and thrilling read that technology wise is within the realm of possibility even if the plot line was a little fanciful.

All in all an enjoyable and sturdy addition to the Patrick Robinson Admiral Morgan series.
Memo
Fantastic book - helped that I was working for the head of the submarine service at the time of reading and actually know who some of the characters are based on - shocking to think that by the time this was released, concorde was no longer flying! I also thought it to be a security risk that the British Navy really do allow foreign nationals to do the 'perisher' course. Makes Hunt for Red October seem like a stroll round the fishpond!
Ron
This was a perfect thriller book for a plane. I started reading this when I started on my trip to CO to go skiing, I was 4/5 through it when I finally got there. I couldn't put it down. If you love fiction about terrorists, submarines and grizzly cigar chomping military leaders keeping the USA safe, this is the book for you.
Barry
Oct 05, 2007 Barry rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Probably not
This book was well written and easy to follow. Definitely entertaining, it is worth the time to read. Unfortunately, the back cover was a real turn off because of all the cliche's. I only gave it a chance in the interests of broadening my literary experiences. I'm glad I did. It's far from great but it served it's purpose.
Nathan Pinno
Sep 21, 2010 Nathan Pinno rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who likes military fiction.
Shelves: fiction, military
HMS Unseen is another masterpiece for Patrick Robinson! From start to finish, it is a great read, and I think it is a must read for anyone who enjoys reading about the military, or military-style fiction. This one took me a while longer to finish, simply because I had more to do in the meantime. ;)
Norman
Excellent book, well researched & well written.
Fernanda
at first it didn t caught much of my attention but by chapter eight-nine ,the story begins to spice up..the character of Admira Morgan seemed like a big stereotype of the american hero that saves the day..but quite good story anyway
Jim
"Submarine expert terrorist steals a British sub and knocks Concords and other transatlantic planes from the sky. Direct sequel to Nimitz Class. Better balance between military and other spheres than his other books."
Chuck
An Iraqui terrorist steals a British stealth submarine, refits it and
wreaks havoc with air traffic in the Atlantic. Once again we meet
Admiral Arnold Morgan, National Security Advisor to POTUS.
Caleb A.
Very amazing book! Loved the navy thriller! The plot was a little confusing and a tad hard to follow, but overall it was a great read, I loved it and enjoyed it tremendously!
Bill Donhiser
A brilliantly written Naval technothriller. It rates right up there withe the best of Tom Clancy and Dale Brown. I am looking forward to reading the rest of the series
Craig
I did not like the fact that Ben Adnam died in the end. I felt they had the perfect setup for another book with him messing with the US.
Lindsey
I think this was my favorite of Robinson's submarine books. Very tense, great action scenes.
Gabriel Watson
Typical techno thriller--somewhat predictable--still well written and researched.
Griff
Audio - great submarine techno-thriller re Iraqi terrorist written pre 9/11
Jerald Hoskelis
Fair novel, but a little out in left field. It don't work this way!!!
Michael
Michael marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2014
  • Fortunes of War
  • Fatal Terrain (Patrick McLanahan, #6)
  • Bright Star (Scott Dixon, #2)
  • Dangerous Ground (Jerry Mitchell, #1)
Patrick Robinson was a journalist for many years before becoming a full-time writer of books. His non-fiction books were bestsellers around the world and he was the co-author of Sandy Woodward's Falklands War memoir, One Hundred Days.
More about Patrick Robinson...
Nimitz Class (Admiral Arnold Morgan, #1) Kilo Class (Admiral Arnold Morgan, #2) U.S.S. Seawolf (Admiral Arnold Morgan, #4) Barracuda 945 (Admiral Arnold Morgan, #6) The Shark Mutiny (Admiral Arnold Morgan, #5)