Start by marking “In presenza del nemico” as Want to Read:
In presenza del nemico

In presenza del nemico

3.8 of 5 stars 3.80  ·  rating details  ·  1,107 ratings  ·  57 reviews
Nel ventesimo secolo, dopo la vittoria della Seconda Guerra Mondiale, il Terzo Reich continua a prosperare, tenendo sotto il suo dominio la maggior parte dell'Europa e il Nord America. Ma nel cuore del regime nazista si nasconde un segreto. Heinrich Gimpel, rispettato ufficiale tedesco, padre di tre figlie, non è in realtà di pura razza ariana: è un ebreo, e vive da sempre ...more
Published 2005 by Fanucci (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about In presenza del nemico, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about In presenza del nemico

Brandon
This book seemed interesting. It wasn't. It had incredibly long passages of intricately detailed bridge games. (Yes, bridge games. And not "high stakes bridge" or anything like that. The book wasn't set at a bridge tournament. It was just two main characters and their wives getting together to play bridge. And, boy howdy!, did they play bridge. For instance:

Willi dealt the first hand. "And now to give myself thirteen diamonds," he said grandly.
"As long as you give me thirteen hearts, I don't min
Punning
Ho-hum, another Turtledove book about WW2. This one is different, though...

Most of the time, when he tackles the subject, he looks at the minor tweaks that have radical outcomes. A cigar dropped in 1962 means that Patton is a Confederate General trying to invade Ohio. This book looks at a single Jewish family in 1995, living in NAZI Germany.

What makes this book work is that, for once, he's moved past the wars, and focuses squarely on people. Their hopes, fears (terror!), and daily drudgery. One
Andreas
In this alternate history novel, the year is circa 2001. The Nazis won the Second World War, then conquered America a generation later. Jews are hiding in the midst of the Third Reich.

So, what’s the book actually about? As far as I could figure out, not very much. I kept wondering when something would actually happen. Unfortunately I reached the end and nothing had, unless you count interminable games of bridge while the characters wonder who is having unfaithful thoughts.

Turtledove had a great
Mary JL
Oct 09, 2010 Mary JL rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of alternative history; SF fans
Recommended to Mary JL by: I am a fan of this author.
Shelves: main-sf-fantasy
Set in the 1990's this is a novel which poses the question "What if the Nazis had won?"

It focuses on one family who look like any other loyal Aryan family--but they have a secret. They are Jews. When the children become twelve, they are told of their true heritage.

The story is well told. The fears of being found out, constantly being afraid of the secret police, are well handled. Especially hard for the oldest girl--all her life she has read stories and heard about how horrible Jews are...and no
Mark
I've given up on a couple of Turtledove's "adult" novels since loving his GUNS OF THE SOUTH... but this book was fascinating. It was one of those "couldn't put it down" kind of books.

As usual, he doesn't seem to have a good grasp on religious faith - but he doesn't undercut that belief in this story.

I'd say more, but I'd hate to be a spoiler.
Ancientjack
This is another book in Mr. Turtledove's series of alternative histories, and is set in a world where Germany is the victor of WWII. I read it because of my interest in WWII, having read similar alternate history novels such as Man in the High Castle, Fatherland, The Plot Against America ( maybe The Domination), etc. From a literary point of view, this is the poorest one. The style is flat, it does not leave a good "taste" on your mind. The characters are boring, as their daily lives which do no ...more
Elizabeth
The concept was good. I like the ending. However, there was a lot in it that really required some struggle. There was one page that was so much like one previous, I actually thought I'd lost my place. I can also see it being far more enjoyable if I understood or cared about bridge.

Other than dragging somewhat, the story and the questions asked were pretty good. Made me want to brush up on my WWII history.
Stephan Neidenbach
Fun to read, but Turtledove has been suffering from a repitition problem recently in a lot of his books. Repitition is fine in his series, where you may have forgotten events from 3-4 books prior, but here the reader should be able to remember what happened 3-4 chapters ago. The story is great, and the events are played out nicely however. Probably a good read for a plane or car trip, moves quickly and is easy to read.
Aurelien
So what's that all about? First and foremost, a deeply naïve and unrealistic idea -Jews not only surviving decades of Nazism right at the heart of the Third Reich but, even holding important posts, from crucial worker at the OKW to academics in prestigious universities and high ranking public servants at the top levels of the State. Even more unbelievable: children are entrusted by their whole families to help assure such survival!

Well, that's a shaky foundation to a whole novel but it manages t
Enjoyed the characters and the interesting moral quandaries that Turtledove created for them. I also enjoyed seeing the alternate history and world that he created. But the story developed so slowly that the majority of the action took place in the last fourth of the book.

All said, I'll be picking up another of his books.
Marie
Imagine Germany won the second world war and yet another world war followed. Unlike today the whole (or majority) of the developed world is controlled from Berlin. Jews remain persona non-grata and are believed wiped out by most of the berliners. add a new regime that suggests past mistakes should be rectified. arrests, uprising the SS against the wermacht and you have an inkling of what this book is about. You simply cannot imagine what happens in a 2 year period in the germany of the 21st cent ...more
Kirstin
It was a decent alternate history, I wouldn't have enjoyed it so much if I wasn't fascinated with the time period. It's a bit repetitive, but the concept was interesting. It worked nicely as a train read, not so engrossing that I couldn't put it way when I needed to.
Susan
This was fairly depressing to read, even though it ends on a hopeful note. It was also a little repetitive. Like, enough with the doctor who can't make coffee already. I didn't really like any of the characters well enough to care when they were in danger.
Phillip
What if the Axis had won World War II? The lives of Jews in post-war and post Holocaust Berlin. An interesting look at Jewish history and how our people has survived.
David
I found this an very interesting look at what if the Nazi's had won. Very believeable characters who are Jews hiding in Nazi Germany. Very well done
Jessica
This was truly gripping, but I think it had to do more with the "what if" aspect of this story than the story itself.

I mean - what if Hitler had succeeded in dominating the world? What if his ideals had been made into law, and he had succeeded in genocide of a race or three? That's a spooky idea in itself, but then the reader is allowed to follow a family with a secret, one that even their children are only allowed to learn after they reach a certain age.

This was well-written, even if a few par
Marcel Dekker
An interesting 'Alternate History' novel. Well written with engaging characters.
Plot: Jews that survived the Nazi Holocaust are still surviving today in the 3rd Reich. Of course under the identity of perfect Aryans. They need to be extremely careful with everything they do or say in their lifes, or they run the chance of being killed by the SS. The politics in the background tell the story of the 4th Reich in motion, with a new "Führer" who wants to pass more rights to the people.

The story remi
Rebecca
This is my first foray into the works of Harry Turtledove, and now I know that it won't be the last. He is a good writer with incredibly vivid characters; his heroes aren't perfect and his villains aren't completely evil (mostly). And he clearly invested a lot of time and thought into his world-building. At first there were parts that didn't make sense to me; the book was written in 2003, so at first the lack of cell phones and internet seemed like glaring omissions to me. But then I thought abo ...more
Elaine Wong
A world where the Nazis won? I wonder what that's like.

Heinrich Gimpel gives the novel a strong introduction: he walks through a day in his life as a government cog, commenting on things that seem a bit dull and overdone to him, but great at giving the reader an image of 21st century Germany. Germany owns much of the world, after deciphering the nuclear bomb ahead of the US; tourists from affiliated nations come to goggle at German superiority; political indoctrination is abundant.

Heinrich goes
Andrew Riley
Set in a world where the Nazis won the Second and then Third world wars, In The Presence of Mine Enemies is the story of a group of Jews hiding in the centre of the Reich. The book has two main plotlines, one focuses on a family living in Berlin, hiding their religion while revealing their secret to the next generation, the second might be called "the Nazi spring" as a new Fuhrer tries to introduce a more democratic aspect to the Reich government.
Emmy Jackson
Note: page 141 and the soap opera is starting to get some traction. But what I find really interesting is a bit of alt-history fridge logic: Turtledove has eliminated many common trade names--"food processor" instead of "Cuisinart," "vacuum flask" instead of "Thermos." Why? Because their development and marketing wouldn't have followed the same (American?) path! Nice detail.

***Got as far as page 486...because that's where my hardback copy ends. Printing error, apparently. ARRRRRGH. Will try to
Gordon Gammell
The whole concept of the book about what would happen if Germany had won WWII is interesting and could go many different directions. The direction here is of Jews living in Berlin and working for the government while keeping their identities hidden.

The story was slow in developing but the climax was exciting.

The constant references to the game of Bridge and who did what during the game is totally lost on someone who knows nothing about the game. It could have been restructured and still got the
John
One of the best Turtledove alternative histories. This one depends on no sci-fi changes, aliens, or other weird happenstance.

Germany won WWII many years ago, getting the atom bomb first as a neutral US stays home. Years later they defeat the US in WWIII. Now Germany and Japan are the dominant powers in the world. Jews are believed to be mostly wiped out but small groups exist, even in Berlin, pretending to be loyal Germans, working for government agencies, colleges, and other such jobs. Now, re
Billy Roper
Turtledove has really gone off track, and missed a great opportunity to explore real alternative history. Instead, once again he falls prey to politically correct platitudes. His recent works could have been written by Steven Spielberg.
Edward Smith
An alright alternative history book on the ever popular Nazi victory theme. Essentially by the dawn of the 21st Century, Nazi Germany has become the major world power, with Japan being somewhat of a rival. While it does paint an interesting view of a third generation Nazi society, and Jews living in secrecy, the execution was a bit stale for me. A lot of things aren't explored what I would have liked to, such as the defeat of the United States in the Third World War, instead of card games being ...more
Rob
An interesting alternate history book in which Germany wins WW2. It's set in 2009 (or thereabouts), and follows a family and their friends who are Jewish, and trying to hide that fact while living in Berlin.

Not bad overall. The author does seem to play a lot of bridge, as evidenced by bizarre page-long descriptions of people playing bridge in near-incomprehensible terms, and the plot seems to stretch out a while longer than it needs to without anything actually happening. They go about their liv
Joanne Timm
This was an alternate history of the Third Reich 70 years in the future. Had a hard time getting into the story. Guess I am not a science fiction lover.
Federico
It starts slowly, but that let's you inmerse yourself in this alternate universe where the nazis won the second world war and now have a worlwide empire. By the end of the book you care for the characters, which are not two-dimensional: they have doubts and flaws like everyone.
It is said that "Evil prevails when the good fail to act" and that is exactly what initiates the alteration to the real timeline and brings us this story that has connections to George Orwell's 1984.
As a funny I realized t
Donna
Alternate history has become a real favorite of mine. Turtledove has such a great knack of keeping it oh so believable. This was a difficult read compared to some of his other works. I'm not sure if it was the sprinkling of German through the book or the use of mulltple side stories. The concept was really chilling and goes to show how much of our lives and the world depends on the results of an individuals or a governments' decisions. If the "alternative" had been chosen .......
Derek Van Hise
A group of jews living in secret. In Nazi Germany. In Berlin. In 2005. This is an alternate history book where the Axis Powers won World War II and rule most of the world. Heinrich Gimpel and his family are all secretly Jews. But, winds of change are coming in Nazi Germany as the first generation finally begins to be replaced by the next one. The next generation is more liberal, but regardless, Heinrich cannot be caught. Fantastic book. One of my favorites.
  • The Two Georges
  • 1945
  • Resurrection Day
  • Roads Not Taken: Tales of Alternate History
  • Stars and Stripes Forever (Stars and Stripes, #1)
  • Fox on the Rhine
  • Final Impact (Axis of Time, #3)
  • 1812: The Rivers of War (Trail of Glory, #1)
  • Conquistador
  • The Way It Wasn't: Great Science Fiction Stories of Alternate History (Citadel Twilight)
Dr Harry Norman Turtledove is an American novelist, who has produced a sizeable number of works in several genres including alternate history, historical fiction, fantasy and science fiction.

Harry Turtledove attended UCLA, where he received a Ph.D. in Byzantine history in 1977.

Turtledove has been dubbed "The Master of Alternate History". Within this genre he is known both for creating original sce
More about Harry Turtledove...
The Guns of the South In the Balance (Worldwar, #1) How Few Remain (Timeline-191, #1) Tilting the Balance (Worldwar, #2) Striking the Balance (Worldwar, #4)