Start by marking “Amortals” as Want to Read:
Amortals

Amortals

3.66 of 5 stars 3.66  ·  rating details  ·  127 ratings  ·  27 reviews
THE VERY BEST PERSON TO CATCH YOUR KILLER…IS YOU.

Published November 4th 2010 by Angry Robot (first published June 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Amortals, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Amortals

Nikki
Technically speaking, I don't think this book deserves four stars, if we're talking about an objective measure of literary merit. Lucky for me, we're not, because I loved reading Amortals. The comparisons to Richard Morgan's Takeshi Kovacs novels are apt, but I think I preferred this one.

In a way, the plot was exactly the way I expected: I could've predicted a lot of the plot, and it ends too abruptly to deal with the implications of what happens, but it's fast-paced and compelling. The narrati
Ben Babcock
Whole brain emulation and mind uploading are science-fiction concepts that I love, because they raise really complicated questions related to philosophy of mind, a particular field in philosophy that I find very fascinating. Moreover, it’s scary how close we might be to achieving these in real life. Some critics have made very compelling cases for why this isn’t possible—but no one has been able to prove it, one way or another. Where scientists cannot yet go, science-fiction authors can speculat ...more
Tony
Jan 08, 2011 Tony rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: sci-fi, cyperpunk, crime
Recommended to Tony by: Matt Forbeck
I was already a Forbeck fan from his Bloodbowl series, but if anything this book better. The narrative reminds me of a Philip K. Dick book, and although this isn't quite Electric sheep it is worthy to be mentioned in the same breath.

The near future technology is believable and yet surprising,and the characters engaging. This fast paced action thriller has gone straight on to my read again shelf.

An interesting extra in this book comes in the form of a short article detailing the history of Mr Fo
Richard Flores IV
This book interested me for a variety of reasons. First the cover caught my eye, so naturally I read the back of the book and found the idea interesting. Amortals is about a Secret Service Agent who is amortal, which means that when he dies they take a backup of his brain and load into a clone. This was a concept that interested me.

There are a lot of your typical, almost cliche, tropes for a special agent book, especially in the beginning. You know, the "I work alone" but still be forced to take
Bill
What would you do if you found out you had been killed? Further, what if the new you had to track down the old you’s killer?

This is the odd dilemma facing Ronan Dooley, Secret Service Agent and Amortal. The Amortals Project is a program that keeps people alive long past their normal lifespan, and is a sort of insurance policy against anything lethal happening to the rich and powerful. Ronan has been granted Amortal status because of his usefulness in protecting other Amortals – including the Pre
Jeremy
Re-posting my review as it appears on my column "Reading Realms" at The Outhouse Website:

"Amortals", for the most part, comes across as a typical detective story told in the first person- it just happens to be set a couple hundred years in the future.

First of all I have to say that Matt Forbeck does a great job with his (or our) future world. Things seem pretty much as you might think they would be: hovercars, better surveillance tools, advanced computer s
Kristin  (MyBookishWays Reviews)
You may also read my review here:http://www.mybookishways.com/2011/07/...

It’s 2168 and Secret Service Agent Ronan Dooley watches himself die for the 8th time. It’s not pretty. Strapped to a chair, blindfolded, beaten and helpless, Ronan watches as an unknown killer shoots him in the head multiple times. The killer makes it very clear that they do not want Ronan to return, but it’s too late for that. He’s already been reborn and the Secret Service wants him to find his own killer. At almost 200 y
Helen
Still reading.
I found this book due to the first chapter being on Tor.com. Once I read that then I had to get the bookshop to order it. So far chapters 2 to 8 have lived up to the promise of chapter 1. I like that the amortality project is taken as something we already know about and there's not lots of details into the nitty gritty of how it's done, that just lets us get on with the story.

Finished!
Ho ho, we got the nitty gritty at the end, that was the whole point of the book! I got to the poi
Abhinav
Shadowhawk reviews another Matt Forbeck title, in which the author tackles the near future where those in power have a bent for cloning and resurrection.

“Incredibly gripping and a downright science-fiction thriller, Amortals is a non-stop roller-coaster ride.” ~The Founding Fields

Note: minor opening spoilers mentioned.

I really can’t say this enough: Matt Forbeck is bloody brilliant (to quote my review of his most recent novel for Angry Robot, Carpathia). Coming off Carpathia, Amortals is almost
Ove
You have a clone with your backup memories. That is if you are rich enough or if you become a national hero by taking a bullet for the President. Rohnan Dooley is the later and the first to become Amortal . Now he returns to try to find out who murdered him but there is much more to the story.

Amortals is my first contact with Matt Forbeck’s writing and I am impressed but not surprised by the tight and action packed story after reading his bio. Matt also weaves thought provoking questions about i
Hunter Johnson
Takes off running, makes a few detours, and packs a lot of thoughtful socio-economic science fiction in around the action-movie-style murder mystery. Clones, conspiracies, and the meaning (or value) of life.
Chris
Check out my review of this over at my blog.
Palladin
Nice development of the Main Character and good story line. I would read a sequel,
Chad
What an interesting and entertaining little sci fi tale.
Kathy
Fresh, creative, exciting, and fun
Shara
The premise: ganked from BN.com: THE VERY BEST PERSON TO CATCH YOUR KILLER…IS YOU.

Matt Forbeck arrives as the new king of high-concept - with a blockbuster action movie in a book. In the near future, scientists solve the problem of mortality by learning how to backup and restore a persons memories into a vat-bred clone. When Secret Service agent Ronan "Methusaleh" Dooley is brutally murdered, he's brought back from the dead one more time to hunt his killer, but this time those who wanted him dea
Fantasy Literature
It’s year 2168, and Secret Service agent Ronan Dooley is investigating a savage homicide, of which he happens to be the victim. In fact, this is the eighth time Agent Dooley has died in the service of his country.

Several of Ronan’s lifetimes ago, he took a bullet meant for the president. His heroic death won him the honor of becoming the first participant in Project Amortal: a medical procedure where the deceased’s mind and memories are downloaded into the brain of an exact clone. The project wa
Lisa
I really enjoyed this novel. It's gripping, exciting, imaginative... It's set in an America of the near-ish future, when death has been defeated, but only for the rich. The hero, Ronan Dooley, has been murdered, but being amortal he is back to find his own killer. Of course, amortality comes at a price, as Dooley soon finds out.

Ronan Dooley's like a cross between Jason Bourne and James Kirk. He's reckless and arrogant, but definitely one of the good guys. As he deals with distant relatives and
Lukas Lovas
This book deserves a solid 4/5. It was interesting, and the plot was worth it, but the main character...well...I'd often want to slap him :D Other than that the book was good, keeping me in suspence, not knowing how it ends...this gives it a good detective element for I had enough information to guess but enough to guess right. All in all....a good book but it didn't engage me enough to love it :)
Clare K. R.
May 23, 2011 Clare K. R. rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: thriller fans
Recommended to Clare K. R. by: Scalzi's Big Idea feature
Two and a half stars. One of the big mysteries took over two hundred pages--maybe closer to two hundred and fifty--between me figuring out and the main character figuring it out/having it revealed to him. Some parts were really exciting, but most of the villains weren't believable to me. I actually think this would have worked better as a movie--I kept thinking that a good actor could sell me the lines, even if the writer couldn't. The ending was very abrupt, with no perceptible denouement.
Steven
Ok book, lousy ending....
Mike
I was really looking forward to reading this, as I find the basic concept intriguing. I've already read Altered Carbon by Richard K. Morgan and loved it - not saying this is a rip-off, just similar basic concepts.
While I loved this book for the ideas, (I thought about the stuff in this book alot while not reading it), I found the story telling & character building side of it a bit thin.
Archiegitdog
Great concept - I just could not get into it
Roger N.
Popcorn book about immortal Secret Service agents. Lots of fun, really. Not much to say about it, though.

(I think I’m missing a book I read here — can’t remember what it could’ve been. I know I got unexpectedly bogged down in the new Thomas Covenant and decided to set it aside until I can do a complete re-read of the new series.)
Pete Aldin
Very clever little book, written in a read-me-fast style. Forbeck did a great job of projecting a not-too-distant future where one technological advance has slowed all the others. Looking forward to a movie being made of this book.

A fast read, an interesting read, an enjoyable read. Well worth the read.
Mark Palmer
The second book by Forbeck I've read. Decent SF, and the plot kept me guessing. Reminded me of The 6th Day with Arnold Schwarzenegger.
Michael O'Donnell
Action aplenty but in the end just another american story of megalomania thwarted.
The ending was brief and unfulfilling.
Geri
Geri marked it as to-read
Apr 30, 2015
Josh
Josh marked it as to-read
Apr 02, 2015
Daniel A.
Daniel A. marked it as to-read
Mar 30, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Reality 36
  • Edge (Josh Cumberland, #1)
  • Book of Secrets
  • Chill (Jacob's Ladder, #2)
  • Kell's Legend (Clockwork Vampire Chronicles, #1)
  • Dead Streets (Matt Richter #2)
  • The Crown of the Blood
  • She Returns From War
  • Walking The Tree
  • Enemy Within (Enemy, #1)
  • Principles of Angels
  • Thief of Souls
  • Nylon Angel (Parrish Plessis, #1)
  • Timecaster
  • Ghost Ocean
  • Degrees of Freedom (Samuil Petrovitch, #3)
  • The World House (The World House #1)
  • Blue Galaxy (Blue Universe # 1)
I'm an award-winning, New York Times-bestselling author and game designer and happily married father of five, including a set of quadruplets. For more on my work, see Forbeck.com.
More about Matt Forbeck...
Ghosts of Ascalon (Guild Wars, #1) The Con Job Marked for Death (Eberron: The Lost Mark, #1) Carpathia Road to Death (The Lost Mark #2)