Start by marking “The Boyfriend League” as Want to Read:

$1 program
$1 hot dogs
$1 drinks
$1 popcorn

But how much to get the hot pitcher to notice you exist?
Published October 13th 2009 by HarperCollins (first published June 26th 2007)

To ask other readers questions about The Boyfriend League, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Boyfriend League

Mlpmom (Book Reviewer)
This was a super quick, super cute, and super fun read that is just perfect for this time of year when you want something light fun and that will put a smile on your face.
Laurence
Sooooo cute! I still don't understand a thing about baseball, but I'm pretty sure I'm a lost cause.

This is a really fun and nice book to relax yourself. I loved the characters, their chemistry, their passion for baseball and the interesting plot. While I must say I didn'f really like the idea that started the story, which was to find a boyfriend for Dani and her best friend, I liked seeing their characters develop and realize that their initial plan had some flaws. They started as kind of superf
Avon Bernabe
Jan 15, 2012 Avon Bernabe rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5 stars!

This is the kind of book that gets me into reading more and more and more. I can't seem to put it down. Stopping myself even just for a while to read this may be a kind of sin. Ahhhhhh.

I love the lead female, Dani. She's just so herself. Although she got swayed for a while, but still, she stayed true to herself. And that's what I liked about her. I can relate to her. And I love that she's a girl and a sports junkie at the same time. I am not really for those girls who are so obsessed w
Maija
Jan 11, 2012 Maija rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: YA
Em-em
Jun 27, 2011 Em-em rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Dani has always wanted a boyfriend, with the baseball season just starting and a whole baseball team coming into town she saw her chances. She talked her parents into offering their house as temporary resident to one of the players with the promise that she won't be falling in love with him. She plans on using the resident boy into introducing her to other baseball players. Problem with this promise was she never pictured that Jason would be very good-looking. She struggles to stop herself from ...more
Kathy * Bookworm Nation
Danielle loves baseball and boys. This year she is determined to catch a boyfriend when the summer league comes to town. When she sees an ad in the local paper asking for host families for some of the team she talks her parents into letting a player stay with them, on condition that she not fall for that player. Unfortunately, Jason is not only the hottest guy on the team, he is also the only guy that Dani wants to date. What’s a girl to do?

This was a really cute, light read. I enjoyed Dani’s t
Angela
Apr 27, 2009 Angela rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
OMG!!!!!!!!! I LOVE THIS BOOK!!!!!!!! YOU SHOULD DEFINITELY READ IT! :D
Serena F
"'I'll be okay alone in the backyard.' He stepped off the treadmill. 'I'm going to go shower.'
He waited a heartbeat, like he expected me to say I'd be happy to keep him company in the shower, too."

What a fun read! I loved Daniella and Jason's relationship. Jason was such a shy character, which made me love him even more. Daniella and her craze for chocolate cookie dough ice cream. which I adore as a matter of fact, and her attention to Jason's well being was especially adorable!

Overall, The Boy
Manisha
Dani loves baseball, and this year she's looking forward to snagging one of the boys from the summer league as her first boyfriend. When she notices an ad asking families to house players, she immediately comes up with a plan for her and her best friend Bird to board a player for the summer. Thus, she'll have a great "in" with the team -- and first chance at picking the best guy.

Dani and Bird are immediately caught up in the excitement of being surrounded by so many hot guys and Bird quickly fin
Kai (Amaterasu Reads)

A nice read.

I can't really say its the best, but it wasn't that bad.

At first, the idea of just doing this and that for boys made me think that the book would be really shallow and would just be about Dani trying to make a fool out of herself looking for a boyfriend, but its not really. I hanged on, reading and wanting to know what would happen between her and Jason.

I really want to shake her to death because she's really thinking about Mac. And I somehow feel bad for Bird because she ca
Iuli
Jul 20, 2015 Iuli rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you want a light, short, sweet, girly, short book this is perfect for the summer. It made me smile and laugh so much !

This book is about a girl named Dani that loves baseball but she loves boys even more..! The baseball team is coming in the town and needs homes for the players so she founds a great opportunity to get a boyfriend and so does her friend, Bird.

Dani feels like she is always in the shadow of her sister that is a beauty Queen....but not this time cause the HOT pitcher :)) has h
Natshane
Nov 12, 2010 Natshane rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is actually quite a funny book. I loved Dani's humour and what's interesting about this book is that the romance is not overly dramatic. Instead of the usual 'she's my life, he's my life' thing, this book presents itself properly, cute and adorable, that first attraction is well written. Though the plot could be easily guessed, still it's adorable. I remembered laughing at the jokes they've made, and the baseball scenes are prety adrenaline-junking, if you could imagine them just right. One ...more
Kayla
This book had a cute and heartwarming ending. And it was corny as hell. Seriously, if you didn't see that one coming, you really should remove your cultural blindfold. This stuff simply does not happen in real life. Parents do not agree to let hot (not to mention single) teenage boys stay across the (convienently isolated) hall from their single teenage daughter. And even if they did, what are the chances he's Mr. Right? I mean, the kids are barely past puberty. All Rachel Hawthorne novels are t ...more
Ivette
*suspiró* aish, que libro más romántico y divertido. Estos libros son mi placer culpable!!!
Me enamore de Jason, pero ¿quien no?
No es una gran trama, pero estamos hablando de un libro YA si que el chiste se cuenta solo.
Carlos Jadiel
Sep 19, 2015 Carlos Jadiel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed reading this book. It was such a cute story. A perfect read for the summer.
Mel (Reviews In A Pinch)
Jan 07, 2017 Mel (Reviews In A Pinch) rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
Do you remember those all-consuming feelings you had growing up, specifically in high school? When every guy or girl that you dated or had a crush on was probably the one? And one of THE most important things was to have a boyfriend or girlfriend? I’ll admit that I remember feeling that way sometimes, but never really gave into the feelings. I always told myself that the odds of meeting the one while I was in high school were pretty darn slim. I still think I was right.

Rachel Hawthorne perfectly
Graylark
Aug 19, 2015 Graylark rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya-romance
+ light read
+ Jason was a sweetheart
+ I liked Dani's relationship with her family. I also liked that her beauty queen sister wasn't a stereotypical bitch and was in fact decent.

- Dani came off as really silly to me. She was so desperate to have a boyfriend--pick a boy, any boy!--that she grabbed the first one who came along and clung to him despite liking someone else. Also, she kept giving the wrong signals and misleading answers to pretty obvious questions from Jason, thus discouraging him, th
Katie W
Once in awhile, my 17 year old self appears and I'm in the mood to read a light, fluffy teen romance. This is a story of tomboy Texan, Dani, who is obsessed with boys and baseball. She manages to convince her parents to be a host family for a summer league player--IF she doesn't fall for him. Well, she tries hard not to, but he's everything she wants in a boyfriend.

Dani is pretty true to herself, which I liked. Her older sister is a beauty queen, but Dani is down to earth and she is who she is.
Abeer
Feb 10, 2015 Abeer rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is sooo cute
A perfect fluffy read when your looking for something to cheer you up!:)
Dani was a good character to read about and I'm glad she learned things and I wasn't that annoyed from her. It was good to read from her and in a way I guess it taught you things :)
Jason was the perfect boyfriend. Cute, nice and he actually had a lot in common with Dani and you could actually see the chemistry. He and Dani had fun doing things and they made a great couple!!
One word I'd use to describe
Ivory
Dec 20, 2010 Ivory rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya-chic-lit
It took me months before I continue to read this book. And to think I love Rachel Hawthorne.
Somehow, the idea of giving a shelter for those baseball players just to get a chance of having a boyfriend does not appeal to me.

It was an OK book. With cute moments here and there.
Halyna
Dec 31, 2011 Halyna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sportsmen
Charming, warm, innocent, endearing book! I had a lot of fun reading it, I absolutely loved ALL the characters!Every page of this book is saturated with passion for baseball and the style of writing is light and pleasant! A perfect book for relaxing and having a great time!
Mirela
Oct 09, 2009 Mirela rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A cute book that made me smile as I was reading it. I thougth that Dani and Jason had a connection since they first met. I think it was really cute and I could definately read it over and over again.
kenia ivashkov
Sep 09, 2016 kenia ivashkov rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fav, perfect-boy
Lo ame mucho, mucho, mucho, mucho. Lo ame por una única y sencilla razón: amo el béisbol tanto como Dani.
Angela Hart
Jan 03, 2017 Angela Hart rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
“The Boyfriend League” is aptly named. Our main character, Dani, wants nothing more than a boyfriend for the summer. Not having ever been in a relationship, Dani imagines having a gorgeous baseball player boyfriend on her arm. Going into her senior year of high school, Dani thinks it is about time she and her best friend, Bird, seriously pursue relationships.
In order to meet more men, Dani convinces her parents to invite a visiting baseball player to live with them. The local team ran out of loc
Mehsi
3.5 stars.

I have absolutely nothing with baseball, it is not a sport that is big here in my country, so at times I was just bored or wondering why everyone was so hyper-obsessed with it. It just seemed so silly and overdone. The only times I see people get hyper-obsessed with sports here is during the UEFA European Championship or World Cup for soccer/football. So yeah, I just can't imagine it.

But besides the baseball, it was a pretty good book. I really liked Danielle at times, but not always.
Tia Mele
Apr 23, 2016 Tia Mele rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Spring is my favorite time of year. Not for the nice weather or beach days but for one reason only: baseball season. I love the sport and I love the boys who play it. Especially the way their butts look in those pants. Heart eye emoji all over that.
Which is why I whole heartedly support Dani Runyon’s plan to get a baseball boyfriend by convincing her parents to host a member of the Ragland collegiate team in The Boyfriend League by Rachel Hawthorne. Because honestly, if that had been an option
Brittany
Aug 04, 2011 Brittany rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Dani loves baseball with a passion. Quite possibly the only thing she likes more is boys and this summer she has the opportunity to combine the two for a few months of extra excitement. When the Ragland Rattlers Collegiate Baseball team posts in the local paper that they need host families for the players, Dani and her best friend Bird start scheming. If they can convince their parents to be host families to some of the players, they'd have an "in" with the team and a way to meet lots of cute bo ...more
Kari Anderson
Nov 04, 2010 Kari Anderson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The best thing about summer vacation for Dani is collegiate baseball and the Ragland Rattlers. She’s gone to every practice and every game since the team first came to town and this year, she has a plan to date one of the baseball players. She and her best friend Bird both talk their parents into being host families and letting players stay with them. The only rule is you can’t date your host player. That may be harder than it sounds though when Dani’s player is the starting pitcher and the boy ...more
Sol Belenda
Mar 26, 2016 Sol Belenda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Es el primer libro que leo de esta autora y estuvo bastante bien.

He notado que de los últimos libros que leí, en todos hay una hermana mayor alias "la diva popular" mientras que la protagonista es la "marginada social".

No sé si será coincidencia o que. Pero si leyeron estos libros que reseñe me dirán que tengo razón......o quizás alucine -quién sabe, capaz que soy alicia en el país de las maravillas jajaja-.

Adolescentes. Momento en el que toda chica desea conseguir un novio y no importa el méto
Carly Fries
Summary of the Story

There's nothing like a lighthearted, funny summer romance novel to brighten your spirits. And so far, Rachel Hawthorne has definitely achieved this feeling in both of the books I have read by her.

In this one, Dani and her friend Bird are huge fans of their local baseball team, and even bigger fans of boys. (view spoiler)
  • Picture Perfect
  • Tropical Kiss
  • Lovestruck Summer
  • Drive Me Crazy
  • Major Crush
  • Love Undercover (Simon Romantic Comedies)
  • The Boyfriend Game (First Kisses, #5)
  • Sleepless
  • Something Borrowed
  • Sea of Love (Simon Romantic Comedies)
  • Killer Cruise
  • Love Off-Limits
aka Jade Parker and also writes with her son as J.A. London
(also writes romance under Lorraine Heath)

Rachel Hawthorne, who also writes as Lorraine Heath and Jade Parker, is the daughter of a British beauty (her mother won second place in a beauty contest sponsored by Max Factor during which she received a kiss from Caesar Romero-who played the Joker on the old Batman TV series) and a Texan who wa
More about Rachel Hawthorne...

“I leaned my head back. "I look worse than I did the night you met me."
"I thought you looked fine."
I rolled my head to the side, so I could see him. Hoping the shadows made it so he couldn't see me. "What are you talking about? I looked like a Cirque du Soleil performer."
"What are you talking about?"
"The black dots around my eyes?"
He shook his head. "I'm lost."
"You were staring--"
"Oh, yeah." He gazed through the windshield. "Sorry about that. I've just never seen eyes as green as yours. I was trying to figure out if you wore contacts."
"You were looking at my eyes?"
"Yeah."
"Not the makeup?"
He turned his attention back to me. "I didn't realize you were wearing any. That night, anyway. Tonight it's pretty obvious."
"Oh." Didn't I feel silly? "I thought--" I shook my head. "Never mind." On second thought...
"You don't like all the makeup?"
"I just don't think you need it. I mean, you look pretty without it."
Oh, really? That was totally unexpected.”
8 likes
“I’m sorry. I know how much players have to focus, and I know not to be a distraction. I just got caught up in the moment, in the great game, in your terrific pitching.”

But I felt a need to explain more.

“Look, Jason, I love baseball. I love the crack of the bat hitting the ball. I love the seventh-inning stretch and singing ‘Take Me Out to the Ball Game.’ I love eating hot dogs and standing for the singing of the national anthem. I love doing the wave. I love Kiss Cam. I love that the game isn’t over until it’s over.

“I love the thrill of a home run and the disappointment of an out at first. I love the way a batter stands at the plate and the catcher readies himself to receive the pitch. I love watching the pitcher windup. I love sitting in the stands and feeling like I’m part of the game.

“And tonight, watching you pitch, I forgot that I’m only a small part—the spectator. Watching you, I felt like I was in the game, out on that field with you. You’re out there on the mound, living a dream that so few people ever experience.

“I’m sorry, sorry that tonight I ruined the moment for you.”

He was staring at me intently. I’d just bared my soul. Why didn’t he speak? What could he possibly be thinking?

My nerves stretched taut.

“Say something,” I demanded.

“There’s nothing else to say,” he said in that quiet way he had.

Then he lowered his head and kissed me.”
4 likes