Start by marking “Show Them No Mercy: 4 Views on God and Canaanite Genocide” as Want to Read:
Show Them No Mercy: 4 Views on God and Canaanite Genocide

Show Them No Mercy: 4 Views on God and Canaanite Genocide

A Counterpoints book that discusses various contemporary views held by evangelicals on God's command to the Israelites to destroy utterly the Canaanites and how each view sees the relationship between this God of the Israelites and the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who has commanded us to love our enemies.
Published June 1st 2010 by Zondervan (first published April 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Show Them No Mercy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Show Them No Mercy

Autumn Meier
May 02, 2016 Autumn Meier rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
Here's my problem...this isn't a "let's deal with the obvious elephant in the room (Canaanites)" book; it's a "how do the OT and NT views of God line up" book with a shaky focus on military strategies/pacifism.

I usually love the Counterpoints series, it makes you think for yourself from a variety of views, but I found myself sighing at something from at least every essay. I'm just not satisfied with these answers. I thought this would be a great companion piece to my own studies, and certainly i
Andy Kline
This book was helpful to me because it helped me think and pray better.

The back cover claims all four writers’ views were within the evangelical tradition, but I question whether this is true of C.S. Cowles' position.

I enjoyed Cowles because he refused to use “Christianese” or allegory to gloss over the horror of the conquest. On the other hand his responses to the other writers seemed sledgehammer like and angry – almost disdainful.

Merrill, as a good historical/grammatical interpreter does a m
Filip Sekkelsten
Feb 18, 2017 Filip Sekkelsten rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: teologi
Et særdeles viktig emne.

1. Radikal diskontinuitet: NT representerer et radikalt brudd med GT og folkemordet var ikke et bud fra Gud. Dette åpner for at mye av GT ikke er Guds ord, men heller menneskers misforståelse av Guds ord.
2. Moderat diskontinuitet: NT representerer et moderat brudd med GT. Folkemordet var Guds bud, men det var unikt til den tiden.
De to siste synene representerer kontinuitet, altså fortsettelse og enhet, mellom GT og NT, enten eskatologisk (med hensyn til endetiden), eller
Joshua D.
Jun 02, 2014 Joshua D. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: pastors, theologians, folks having trouble reading the Old Testament
I had the rather unpleasant task of reading hundreds of pages about the Canaanite genocide over the last few days. Show Them No Mercy was, hands down, the most helpful resource. As is the case with all books in the Counterpoints series, 4 different perspectives were given. Each of the four scholars had about 40 pages to explain and make their case. Then the other three offered reflections on critiques to the initial essay. This is a very useful approach, enabling each of the writers to make thei ...more
Janelle Zeeb
This was a very interesting but also challenging book, which examines four views of how to understand God's command to Israel to wipe out the Canaanites. It was a quick read. Each author does a decent job at explaining their viewpoint, although three of the four views overlap significantly. But I think the overlap is the interesting part, as multiple aspects of these authors' views can be combined to give a more holistic view of this difficult issue. Overall, I think this book was fascinating, e ...more
The other John
Jul 22, 2008 The other John rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: borrowed, theology
Jesus loves me,
This I know
For the Bible
Tells me so...

Ah, if only theology were so easy. The problem is, if you actually read the Bible, you might get confused. You read of a God who loved humanity so much that He would let His Son be killed to pay for their sins. But you also read of a God who rains down fire and brimstone on a defenseless city; who apparently sanctions the genocide of certain peoples. What's up with that? Are we talking about two different gods here? Was God just off his meds t
Josh Davis
May 14, 2012 Josh Davis rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really enjoyed this style. Four authors with different views get to state their case and respond to the other three viewpoints. This was a pretty good overview of the issue of genocide in the Old Testament, and really, the larger question of how do Christians deal with the Old Testament. The only reason I give it less than 5 stars is that a couple of the viewpoints are mostly indistinguishable from one another, and I felt like all 4 viewpoints left out a couple of salient and relevant points.

Alt
Ben
Oct 18, 2009 Ben rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a great book featuring 4 concise and very different perspectives on the "Canaanite Genocide" in the Old Testament. Again, the beauty of these "4 Views" books is that you get to digest 4 very different views of the same topic, it is short and to the point, and you get to see the interaction between the authors as they critique each other.

At the heart of this discussion lies the reliability of Scripture, the nature of God, and the nature of sin, to name just a few doctrines. Not an easy
Josh Meares
I like the Counterpoint series because it shows hold real scholars defend their positions and respond to others arguments. The reason I only give three stars is because three of the four positions were fairly similar and the other position was very weakly argued.

For more in depth analysis, check here.
Molly Rinell
I think it's good for me to have read alternate viewpoints that disagree with my horror of the Canaanite genocides. But regardless, these essays acknowledge the issue and then dismiss it far too easily. Too many times do the authors mistakenly give conclusions without an argument. Or repeat an idea with different wording as if they are listing off another point.
Paul Jeon
Oct 01, 2013 Paul Jeon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I always enjoy this series as they present different perspectives on relevant and difficult questions. One often finds agreement and disagreement with all positions. The series also demonstrates how devoted and brilliant Christians can disagree--profoundly so--without being disagreeable. This isn't the same, of course, as saying there isn't a "right answer."
Rebekka
Oct 01, 2012 Rebekka rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's really good if you want to get some different interpretations on the violence behind the Old Testament. The last two views are really similar, but different perspectives are better than no perspectives.

If you get angry over viewpoints that show your religion in a semi bad light, then don't read it, because it should be read with an open mind.

Peace
G Walker
Not bad, but not great. Worth having. Longman and Merrill have some very helpful insights... Would have appreciated some historical theology by way of perspective too... or maybe an Eastern look... but overall not a bad contribution to the otherwise hit and miss series.
Timothy Bandi
May 18, 2013 Timothy Bandi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book. The counterpoints style of the book makes it not only objective but balanced in such a way that any dogmatic or biased opinions of this topic you may have had must have been utterly destroyed.Perhaps God himself destroyed them. Ha-ha!
Pat
Oct 03, 2009 Pat rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: theology
Thorny issue. Is the God who calls for genocide in the OT the same God as in the NT? Discontinuity vs. Continuity. Unfortunately, the 4 viewpoints by theologians contain more -isms than the dictionary. An issue sorely in need of a popular exposition. Does anyone know of a good one?
Tyler Walsh
Still had a lot of questions afterwards. Good info, but I felt like the question of God's character went largely unanswered.
Anika Qing
Helpfully thought-provoking, though I disagreed with C.S. Cowles' essay vehemently.
Jeffrey Backlin
One of the hardest objections/problems that I personally have against Christianity. This book offers four "solutions" to it.
Craig
Apr 03, 2009 Craig rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I had to read this for a graduate course in the humanities. Ugh!
Jim Pulizzi
Good 4 views book on the Canaanite Genocide problem
Zeke Vas
This book helped me understand others position on the subject and gave me tid bits of answers but ultimately I found it wanting.
Tyler Mostul
Tyler Mostul rated it really liked it
Jul 23, 2013
R. Geivett
R. Geivett rated it liked it
Jul 07, 2008
Elise
Elise rated it really liked it
Apr 26, 2012
Allan Gates
Allan Gates rated it really liked it
Oct 09, 2014
Mark
Mark rated it it was amazing
Jan 08, 2015
Tamama Mimi
Tamama Mimi rated it it was amazing
Feb 02, 2017
Jacob Walker
Jacob Walker rated it really liked it
Jan 25, 2014
Fiona
Fiona rated it liked it
Jan 05, 2015
Cecilia Dunbar Hernandez
Cecilia Dunbar Hernandez rated it it was amazing
Jan 15, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • Understanding Four Views on Baptism (Counterpoints: Church Life)
  • Four Views on Hell
  • Five Views on Law and Gospel
  • Three Views on the Millennium and Beyond
  • Four Views on Salvation in a Pluralistic World
  • Will the Real Jesus Please Stand Up? A Debate between William Lane Craig & John Dominic Crossan
  • The Historical Jesus: Ancient Evidence for the Life of Christ
  • Dictionary of Biblical Imagery
  • Two Views on Women in Ministry
  • Four Views on the Book of Revelation
  • Old Testament Ethics for the People of God
  • Five Views on Apologetics
  • Christian Spirituality: Five Views of Sanctification
  • An Emergent Manifesto of Hope (emersion: Emergent Village resources for communities of faith)
  • Concise Theology
  • Five Views on Biblical Inerrancy
  • Canon of Scripture
  • Inspiration and Incarnation: Evangelicals and the Problem of the Old Testament