Thursday's Child

Thursday's Child

3.73 of 5 stars 3.73  ·  rating details  ·  74 ratings  ·  3 reviews
Helen Forrester's moving story of an English girl and her love affair with an Indian man.
Paperback
Published December 6th 1999 by HarperCollins (first published November 21st 1985)

To ask other readers questions about Thursday's Child, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Thursday's Child

Koren
This book was a chore. The storyline was not gripping in the slightest, and although Forrester showed real empathy with the characters, I struggled to feel it myself. I kept at it thinking that the last book I read was so epic I was simply suffering from its hangover, which was denying me the pleasure of submerging myself into the world of the next story. In fairness there were parts of the book that were juicy enough to grab my attention, for example, when Angela divulged secrets about Barney,...more
Maria Longley
Peggie meets and falls in love with Ajit and head off to India for a life together. I didn't realise how much of this novel was drawn from autobiographical elements until after I had read the book which made the interesting bits of the story set in India make more sense. The author has great sympathy for the characters and it was a nice read.
Stuart
Jul 15, 2008 Stuart rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to Stuart by: Norma
This time the story is about English girl who meets and marries an Indian in 1950s. She goes off to live with him in India and , of course, there is a huge culture shock. As always, Helen Forrester has a great empathy with her characters... and a happy ending eventually in the midst of racism, caste system in operation, Muslim-Hindu clashes and poverty.
Winaa Daisy
Winaa Daisy marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2014
SparksofEmber
SparksofEmber marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2014
Phenexrose
Phenexrose marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2014
Kate Sumner
Kate Sumner marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2014
Wendy Wiltshire
Wendy Wiltshire marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2014
Ashlie
Ashlie marked it as to-read
May 11, 2014
Carole
Carole added it
Apr 25, 2014
Vedona
Vedona added it
Apr 03, 2014
Kathy
Kathy marked it as to-read
Mar 15, 2014
Mini Varghese
Mini Varghese marked it as to-read
Mar 10, 2014
Sarah marked it as to-read
Jan 26, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Helen Forrester (real name June Bhatia) (born 1919, Hoylake, Cheshire (now in Merseyside)) is an English-born author famous for her books about her early childhood in Liverpool during the Great Depression as well as several works of fiction.

In 1953 Forrester moved to Edmonton, Canada.
More about Helen Forrester...
Twopence to Cross the Mersey Liverpool Miss By the Waters of Liverpool Lime Street at Two A Cuppa Tea and an Aspirin