Start by marking “Thursday's Child” as Want to Read:
Thursday's Child

Thursday's Child

3.80  ·  Rating Details  ·  91 Ratings  ·  4 Reviews
Helen Forrester's moving story of an English girl and her love affair with an Indian man.
Paperback
Published December 6th 1999 by HarperCollins (first published November 21st 1985)

To ask other readers questions about Thursday's Child, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Thursday's Child

Koren
Feb 21, 2014 Koren rated it did not like it
This book was a chore. The storyline was not gripping in the slightest, and although Forrester showed real empathy with the characters, I struggled to feel it myself. I kept at it thinking that the last book I read was so epic I was simply suffering from its hangover, which was denying me the pleasure of submerging myself into the world of the next story. In fairness there were parts of the book that were juicy enough to grab my attention, for example, when Angela divulged secrets about Barney, ...more
Maria Longley
Peggie meets and falls in love with Ajit and head off to India for a life together. I didn't realise how much of this novel was drawn from autobiographical elements until after I had read the book which made the interesting bits of the story set in India make more sense. The author has great sympathy for the characters and it was a nice read.
Stuart
Jul 15, 2008 Stuart rated it liked it
Recommended to Stuart by: Norma
This time the story is about English girl who meets and marries an Indian in 1950s. She goes off to live with him in India and , of course, there is a huge culture shock. As always, Helen Forrester has a great empathy with her characters... and a happy ending eventually in the midst of racism, caste system in operation, Muslim-Hindu clashes and poverty.
Candy
Jan 12, 2015 Candy rated it really liked it
Shelves: quilting
I read Helen's 4 autobiographical books and loved them. This is a fictional story, but I believe she did marry an Indian man and was very happy, so in my mind, this is the rest of her story. I enjoyed this and came away with a new appreciation for my kitchen appliances!
Esway
Esway marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2016
Victoria
Victoria marked it as to-read
Apr 28, 2016
Rose
Rose marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2016
Linda
Linda marked it as to-read
Apr 03, 2016
Anne Bingham
Anne Bingham marked it as to-read
Mar 21, 2016
Jan
Jan marked it as to-read
Mar 20, 2016
Christina
Christina marked it as to-read
Mar 16, 2016
Geoffrey Whittaker
Geoffrey Whittaker rated it really liked it
Mar 03, 2016
Sandra
Sandra rated it liked it
Feb 01, 2016
Ciara Reilly
Ciara Reilly marked it as to-read
Jan 08, 2016
Sandra Warren
Sandra Warren marked it as to-read
Jan 03, 2016
Jen
Jen rated it really liked it
Dec 28, 2015
Kate
Kate marked it as to-read
Dec 27, 2015
N J  Bicknell
N J Bicknell rated it it was amazing
Dec 18, 2015
Tracey
Tracey marked it as to-read
Dec 19, 2015
Deb
Deb marked it as to-read
Oct 29, 2015
Wendy
Wendy rated it really liked it
Oct 28, 2015
Carole Phillips
Carole Phillips rated it it was amazing
Oct 17, 2015
Eileen
Eileen added it
Oct 15, 2015
Natasha Jones
Natasha Jones marked it as to-read
Oct 15, 2015
Jo
Jo rated it it was amazing
Oct 14, 2015
Patricia
Patricia rated it really liked it
Aug 14, 2015
Emy
Emy marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2015
Christina West
Christina West marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Helen Forrester (real name June Bhatia) (born 1919, Hoylake, Cheshire (now in Merseyside)) is an English-born author famous for her books about her early childhood in Liverpool during the Great Depression as well as several works of fiction.

In 1953 Forrester moved to Edmonton, Canada.
More about Helen Forrester...