Start by marking “The Final Evolution (Avery Cates, #5)” as Want to Read:
The Final Evolution (Avery Cates, #5)

The Final Evolution (Avery Cates #5)

3.99  ·  Rating Details  ·  492 Ratings  ·  48 Reviews
The world is dying. With avatars replacing humans and the birth rate non-existent, the human race is almost extinct. In the end, it comes down to Canny Orel; Avery's long sought after nemesis -- transformed now into something other than human.

Orel might hold the secret to humanity's salvation, if he can be convinced -- or forced -- to relinquish it. And when Cates chances
Mass Market Paperback, 400 pages
Published July 1st 2011 by Orbit (first published June 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Final Evolution, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Final Evolution

Jason Edwards
Jul 28, 2011 Jason Edwards rated it it was amazing
Good sci fi (in my opinion) should be inventive without being random, should be suspenseful without resorting to deus ex machina, should have compelling character development without resorting to stock archetypes. The Avery Cates series, and this final volume in particular, achieves all that. Somers manages to up the ante in his own game, bringing to full fruition the potential and the nightmare of the cyborg "monks" he introduced in book one. The irony of inventing immortal machines that will b ...more
Florin Pitea
Mar 18, 2016 Florin Pitea rated it it was ok
It was O.K. mostly, but weaker than previous books in the series and definitely not worth a second reading.
Scott Holstad
Mar 21, 2016 Scott Holstad rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Andy
Oct 10, 2011 Andy rated it really liked it
kingshearte
Having reached the end of the Avery Cates saga (sad face), I’m now going to attempt to actually nail down why I love these books so much. I have sort of come up with a few reasons before, but I’ve really been considering the matter, and I think I have a few more:

The extremely black humour. Dude is seriously funny, often in the most morbid way imaginable. Death is not sacred in Somers’ world, and is just as open to mocking as anything else. And while I won’t say that nothing offends me, I’m prett
Stuart Dean
Dec 31, 2015 Stuart Dean rated it really liked it
The final book in the Avery Cates saga. Cates is back to being a full time Gunner in a post-post apocalyptic world when he finally gets a lead on one of the two men he most wants to kill, Wallace Benning. It's naturally a trap. But this leads hin to the man he most wants to kill, Canny Orel. Orel now has the "God Augment", so he has every psionic power there is AND he's placed his brain inside an android "Monk" body. So Cates is going against the single most powerful man ever to live.

Cates picks
WizBang
Sep 21, 2015 WizBang rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
I wasn't going to write any more reviews - see my review of the first in this series for a general review of these novels - but I decided to give this novel a 4 star rating which I usually reserve for novels that impact me in some original way and 5 stars for what I considered to be a 'perfect' novel. The reason I've done this is because as a whole I would have given each of these novels a 3 and half stars rating had it been available, because they're really great and enjoyable reads, so I'm kin ...more
"Lifson" Kate Glover
Jun 26, 2015 "Lifson" Kate Glover rated it it was amazing
The number of times I have got to the end of a set of novels only to be disappointed with the ending is vast. I have enjoyed this series so much that I was bracing myself for a possible let down at the end. after all - how do you end a story which is so cinematic in its description of the fights, the double/triple/quad-crossing between survivors of such different flavours in such a screwed up world? Somehow - Jeff Somers has pulled it off. The action is intense, the twists difficult to predict e ...more
Malcolm Little
Dec 16, 2015 Malcolm Little rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites, sf-gems
Roughly 2000 pages to complete the entire journey of Avery Cates, from one hellhole to another, and this is what the payoff is?!

Actually, at the very end, I found myself praising Somers for having the guts to go the route he did. The entire series, Cates has been harping on about how he is an unlikely survivor who has lived far beyond the expected lifespan of the typical denizen of the decayed, squalid, insipid, greedy, ramsh…(thesaurus error) future world of Somers’ imagination.

Don’t expect to
Tony
Jun 22, 2011 Tony added it
I broke the cardinal rule and read the final book in a series first. I was expecting to struggle to understand most of what was going on. I didn’t. This book works well as a stand-alone novel. I would recommend starting from the beginning though as there are lots of points where I felt some background information and emotional investment was hinted at.

Avery Cates is a Gunner, an assassin, and a street kid criminal pressed into the army and implanted with cybernetic implants that as well as givin
Howard
Nov 17, 2011 Howard rated it liked it
The Final Evolution is the fifth and final installment of the Avery Cates series. Unfortunately, this is the only book of the series that I’ve actually read. Normally, missing the previous four books in a series would leave a reader lost. Jeff Somers does a remarkable job of filling in enough information throughout the fifth installment that it manages to stand well on its own. He manages to do this without stalling or interrupting the current story to fill in background information, which would ...more
Christal
Jun 24, 2012 Christal rated it really liked it
Patty Blount
Jul 08, 2011 Patty Blount rated it it was amazing
I was traveling the week this book was released and wasn't just disappointed when I arrived home to find it NOT here, I was outraged. A quick complaint to Amazon got me the book a few days after my return home.

I finished it the day after it arrived.

Judging by back cover copy, I expected a simple revenge tale - Avery Cates finally - after four books - gets even with Canny Orel, the legendary gunner who set him up.

Against the apocalyptic backdrop of a post-Unification/Plague/War System, Jeff Som
Ellie
May 30, 2011 Ellie rated it it was ok
Shelves: sci-fi, ebooks
The Final Evolution is the fifth book in the Avery Cates sci-fi series by Jeff Somers however this is the first I've read.

Avery Cates is your average hard-ass tough guy. There are lots of guns, augmented brains, avatars with downloaded artificial intelligence, psychics that can control your actions and did I mention guns? It's certainly action packed and has some good themes going on but I think I have missed out by starting this far in. It takes a while for any sort of plot to form and I think
Zogguz
Apr 15, 2016 Zogguz rated it it was amazing
I read this without realising that it was part of a series, without realising that it was the last book in a series. However, this didn't stop me from thoroughly enjoying it. It's a proper apocalypse story with lots of guns and killing.
Debbie
Jan 17, 2012 Debbie rated it really liked it
ok- I bought Final Evolution not realizing it was 5th in series so I kindled the other 4 and read back to back so some of the story is blurry - I can't remember which book parts came from. In the beginning it reminded me a bit of early Richard K Morgan (Altered Carbon) which is a compliment. Avery Cates is a hitman - with a bit of a soft heart ( of course) - people are being turned into avatars - he almost becomes one but it backfires and he has a few brains/persons/systems added to his head. He ...more
Brandon Warner
Jul 08, 2015 Brandon Warner rated it really liked it
A fitting end to the Avery Cates saga. There are more books of him walking around online if you check the author's website.
Tharrick
Apr 22, 2015 Tharrick rated it it was ok
A very disappointing end to a series that started so well and began to descend into mediocrity by the end of book 3.
Josh Schultz
Jul 13, 2014 Josh Schultz rated it really liked it
Absolutely incredible finish to the Avery Cates story. I wish there was more!!!
Max
Oct 18, 2014 Max rated it really liked it
An excellent end to the blood soaked Avery Cates saga!
Chris Bauer
Jul 17, 2011 Chris Bauer rated it liked it
The final book in this great series was a solid, fitting conclusion to the storyline. The only challenge I had reading it was the setting, tone and numerous other elements made me feel as tired and beat down as the protagonist at times. But a very good ending to a series I've enjoyed for quite some time. Avery Cates is one of my favorite all time characters. Dialogue, action and attitude have been incredibly consistent over the course of five books; no small feat I imagine.
Chris
Jan 27, 2014 Chris rated it it was ok
Shelves: sf
Very glad the series is over, this book was a fair bit of recapping what had happened in the past, reunions with past characters and a final series of one-up-manship. In the end I was disappointed with the book and the conclusion. It was left open ended from Cates' side which just seems to reaffirm the notion that he is unkillable. I liked the beginning of the series but the need to read books 3,4 and 5 are increasingly reduced.

Mconge
Aug 13, 2011 Mconge rated it it was amazing
Well Jeff did it again. Another amazing book with all the twist and a few old friends and foes revisited. Is this truly the end of Avery Cates? well jump on in and read it to find out. Let's just say it ended in a manner suitable for our friend. Thanks Jeff for the hours of entertainment. It's going to be tough to top such an icon as Avery, but patiently waiting to see where you go next.
Dr. Barrett  Dylan Brown, Phd
Apr 10, 2012 Dr. Barrett Dylan Brown, Phd rated it did not like it
I was so excited about this book, you don't even know. And you know what? IT SUCKS! Jeff Somers you fucked me. I even read it three times to make sure I wasn't missing something brilliant. I wasn't. Read the first four in this series, or maybe even only the first three. But leave this one in the trash.

My all-time favorite new series ended with a big CRAP.
Paul Brown
Oct 14, 2014 Paul Brown rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-reads
I'm giving this book a five. It might not rate a five on its own, but the series as a whole does.
There is not a boring moment across all five books. I would probably rate each book a bit over four by themselves.
I actually won this book as part of the Goodreads giveaways about a year ago, so yes regular people actually do win. Highly recommended series.
Linda
Nov 10, 2011 Linda rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: action adventure adults
Recommended to Linda by: first read good read
Shelves: first-read
Lets just hope the world does not gets this developed, only to disintegrate into squalor and evil.

Jeff Somers's writing takes you to a world of technology,enhancing humans, destroying the world . At times you are on a roller coaster buckled in or not,he take no prisoners. Warning if you want something warm and fuzzy then leave this book on the shelf.
Jason
Mar 25, 2013 Jason rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2013
If the whole series had been like this ...

The book probably only deserves three stars, if only because it still has many of the problems that plague the series and has a totally useless epilogue (although it was labelled "Appendix, so I guess its uselessness was known).

Still ... a very satisfying ending to a very hit-or-miss series.
Luke
Jul 04, 2011 Luke rated it it was amazing
Excellent conclusion (?) to the Avery Cates series. Resolution of the primary narrative arc, but still enough left open to justify another book in the future. Full of action, deep concepts, and excellent characterization. Recommended.
Myk
Jul 23, 2011 Myk rated it it was amazing
Shelves: dystopian
I love the Avery Cates novels. They are the perfect dystopian world, gritty and tough. The world is dead and everyone is just trying to survive. I am sad that the story is over, but I was just happy to be along for the ride.
Paul
Dec 04, 2012 Paul rated it really liked it
Shelves: scifi
(Supposedly) The last book in the series, this is a wonderful ending to a great story. Great characters, lots of action, and some nail biting situations. Let us just hope we have not seen the end of Jeff Somers.
  • Version 43
  • Degrees of Freedom
  • MultiReal (Jump 225, #2)
  • Swedish Folk Tales
  • Fox Girl
  • The Exile Kiss
  • Germline
  • Solip:System
  • They Wear WHAT Under Their Kilts? (Emily, #2)
  • Dark Space (Sentients of Orion, #1)
  • Love in the Time of Dinosaurs
  • Reality 36
  • Grand Guignol Orchestra, Vol. 5
  • Embedded
  • The Kensei (Lawson the Fixer, #5)
  • The Burning Skies (Autumn Rain #2)
  • Orphan's Alliance (Jason Wander, #4)
  • Deadstock
Born in Jersey City, NJ, Jeff has managed to migrate just five minutes away to nearby Hoboken, land of overpriced condominiums and a tavern on every corner. Between weekly drunks, Jeff manages to scrawl enough prose onto cocktail napkins and toilet paper to keep up a respectable fiction careeer."
More about Jeff Somers...

Avery Cates (5 books)
  • The Electric Church (Avery Cates, #1)
  • The Digital Plague (Avery Cates, #2)
  • The Eternal Prison (Avery Cates, #3)
  • The Terminal State (Avery Cates, #4)