Start by marking “The Final Evolution” as Want to Read:
The Final Evolution

The Final Evolution (Avery Cates #5)

4.0 of 5 stars 4.00  ·  rating details  ·  393 ratings  ·  38 reviews
The world is dying. With avatars replacing humans and the birth rate non-existent, the human race is almost extinct. In the end, it comes down to Canny Orel; Avery's long sought after nemesis -- transformed now into something other than human.

Orel might hold the secret to humanity's salvation, if he can be convinced -- or forced -- to relinquish it. And when Cates chances
Mass Market Paperback, 400 pages
Published July 1st 2011 by Orbit (first published June 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Final Evolution, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Final Evolution

Jason Edwards
Good sci fi (in my opinion) should be inventive without being random, should be suspenseful without resorting to deus ex machina, should have compelling character development without resorting to stock archetypes. The Avery Cates series, and this final volume in particular, achieves all that. Somers manages to up the ante in his own game, bringing to full fruition the potential and the nightmare of the cyborg "monks" he introduced in book one. The irony of inventing immortal machines that will b ...more
Andy
Malcolm
Roughly 2000 pages to complete the entire journey of Avery Cates, from one hellhole to another, and this is what the payoff is?!

Actually, at the very end, I found myself praising Somers for having the guts to go the route he did. The entire series, Cates has been harping on about how he is an unlikely survivor who has lived far beyond the expected lifespan of the typical denizen of the decayed, squalid, insipid, greedy, ramsh…(thesaurus error) future world of Somers’ imagination.

Don’t expect to
Tony
Jun 22, 2011 Tony added it
I broke the cardinal rule and read the final book in a series first. I was expecting to struggle to understand most of what was going on. I didn’t. This book works well as a stand-alone novel. I would recommend starting from the beginning though as there are lots of points where I felt some background information and emotional investment was hinted at.

Avery Cates is a Gunner, an assassin, and a street kid criminal pressed into the army and implanted with cybernetic implants that as well as givin
Howard
The Final Evolution is the fifth and final installment of the Avery Cates series. Unfortunately, this is the only book of the series that I’ve actually read. Normally, missing the previous four books in a series would leave a reader lost. Jeff Somers does a remarkable job of filling in enough information throughout the fifth installment that it manages to stand well on its own. He manages to do this without stalling or interrupting the current story to fill in background information, which would ...more
Christal
Patty Blount
I was traveling the week this book was released and wasn't just disappointed when I arrived home to find it NOT here, I was outraged. A quick complaint to Amazon got me the book a few days after my return home.

I finished it the day after it arrived.

Judging by back cover copy, I expected a simple revenge tale - Avery Cates finally - after four books - gets even with Canny Orel, the legendary gunner who set him up.

Against the apocalyptic backdrop of a post-Unification/Plague/War System, Jeff Som
Ellie
The Final Evolution is the fifth book in the Avery Cates sci-fi series by Jeff Somers however this is the first I've read.

Avery Cates is your average hard-ass tough guy. There are lots of guns, augmented brains, avatars with downloaded artificial intelligence, psychics that can control your actions and did I mention guns? It's certainly action packed and has some good themes going on but I think I have missed out by starting this far in. It takes a while for any sort of plot to form and I think
Debbie
ok- I bought Final Evolution not realizing it was 5th in series so I kindled the other 4 and read back to back so some of the story is blurry - I can't remember which book parts came from. In the beginning it reminded me a bit of early Richard K Morgan (Altered Carbon) which is a compliment. Avery Cates is a hitman - with a bit of a soft heart ( of course) - people are being turned into avatars - he almost becomes one but it backfires and he has a few brains/persons/systems added to his head. He ...more
Josh Schultz
Absolutely incredible finish to the Avery Cates story. I wish there was more!!!
Max
An excellent end to the blood soaked Avery Cates saga!
Chris Bauer
The final book in this great series was a solid, fitting conclusion to the storyline. The only challenge I had reading it was the setting, tone and numerous other elements made me feel as tired and beat down as the protagonist at times. But a very good ending to a series I've enjoyed for quite some time. Avery Cates is one of my favorite all time characters. Dialogue, action and attitude have been incredibly consistent over the course of five books; no small feat I imagine.
Chris
Jan 27, 2014 Chris rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: sf
Very glad the series is over, this book was a fair bit of recapping what had happened in the past, reunions with past characters and a final series of one-up-manship. In the end I was disappointed with the book and the conclusion. It was left open ended from Cates' side which just seems to reaffirm the notion that he is unkillable. I liked the beginning of the series but the need to read books 3,4 and 5 are increasingly reduced.

Mconge
Well Jeff did it again. Another amazing book with all the twist and a few old friends and foes revisited. Is this truly the end of Avery Cates? well jump on in and read it to find out. Let's just say it ended in a manner suitable for our friend. Thanks Jeff for the hours of entertainment. It's going to be tough to top such an icon as Avery, but patiently waiting to see where you go next.
Barrett  Dylan Brown
I was so excited about this book, you don't even know. And you know what? IT SUCKS! Jeff Somers you fucked me. I even read it three times to make sure I wasn't missing something brilliant. I wasn't. Read the first four in this series, or maybe even only the first three. But leave this one in the trash.

My all-time favorite new series ended with a big CRAP.
Paul Brown
I'm giving this book a five. It might not rate a five on its own, but the series as a whole does.
There is not a boring moment across all five books. I would probably rate each book a bit over four by themselves.
I actually won this book as part of the Goodreads giveaways about a year ago, so yes regular people actually do win. Highly recommended series.
Linda
Nov 10, 2011 Linda rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: action adventure adults
Recommended to Linda by: first read good read
Shelves: first-read
Lets just hope the world does not gets this developed, only to disintegrate into squalor and evil.

Jeff Somers's writing takes you to a world of technology,enhancing humans, destroying the world . At times you are on a roller coaster buckled in or not,he take no prisoners. Warning if you want something warm and fuzzy then leave this book on the shelf.
Jason
If the whole series had been like this ...

The book probably only deserves three stars, if only because it still has many of the problems that plague the series and has a totally useless epilogue (although it was labelled "Appendix, so I guess its uselessness was known).

Still ... a very satisfying ending to a very hit-or-miss series.
Luke
Excellent conclusion (?) to the Avery Cates series. Resolution of the primary narrative arc, but still enough left open to justify another book in the future. Full of action, deep concepts, and excellent characterization. Recommended.
Myk
I love the Avery Cates novels. They are the perfect dystopian world, gritty and tough. The world is dead and everyone is just trying to survive. I am sad that the story is over, but I was just happy to be along for the ride.
Paul
Dec 04, 2012 Paul rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: scifi
(Supposedly) The last book in the series, this is a wonderful ending to a great story. Great characters, lots of action, and some nail biting situations. Let us just hope we have not seen the end of Jeff Somers.
Justin Melter
I really enjoyed this one just as I did the last. I do find that the fourth and fifth to tend to repeat a few things which were minor but overall still a great story and character.
Chris Price
Really really good! It had me missing all of the old characters and setting in a nostalgic kinda way. My only gripe is that at the end.... It's over and I mean it's really over...
Mark Christie
As always fast paced prose and the spiralling life of Avery Cates. More death more destruction with a list of enemies growing shorter as the series ends.
Matt
A great book full of gun fights, psychic abilities, action and a very interesting group of characters. A nice end to the Avery Cates series.
Veach Glines
Rae Gande
Closed up the loose ends. Felt like Somers was tired of his own series though. Perhaps he'll start something else and reinvigorate himself.
Ray
Wow..
Non-stop kick ass rock and roll face-smashing funny as hell action.
God bless Avery..
Cara Peckens
Read only the first three books of this series. Books four and five are a total let down.
Perry
Ends a little bleak. But still more than half decent for a depressing atmosphere cyberpunk story.
  • Version 43
  • Degrees of Freedom (Samuil Petrovitch, #3)
  • MultiReal (The Jump 225 Trilogy, #2)
  • Swedish Folk Tales
  • The Exile Kiss (Marîd Audran #3)
  • Deep State (Dagmar, #2)
  • Fox Girl
  • Embedded
  • Orphan's Alliance (Jason Wander, #4)
  • Germline
  • They Wear What Under Their Kilts? (Emily, #2)
  • Android: Free Fall
  • Dark Space (Sentients of Orion, #1)
  • Love in the Time of Dinosaurs
  • Woken Furies (Takeshi Kovacs, #3)
Born in Jersey City, NJ, Jeff has managed to migrate just five minutes away to nearby Hoboken, land of overpriced condominiums and a tavern on every corner. Between weekly drunks, Jeff manages to scrawl enough prose onto cocktail napkins and toilet paper to keep up a respectable fiction careeer."
More about Jeff Somers...
The Electric Church (Avery Cates, #1) The Digital Plague (Avery Cates, #2) The Eternal Prison (Avery Cates, #3) The Terminal State (Avery Cates, #4) Trickster (Ustari Cycle, #1)