House of Testosterone: One Mom's Survival in a Household of Males

House of Testosterone: One Mom's Survival in a Household of Males

3.25 of 5 stars 3.25  ·  rating details  ·  93 ratings  ·  31 reviews
Though serious enough to provide thoughtful discussion about male psychology and marital stress, this book makes humor--based on real dialogue scribbled in notebooks over the years by the mother of three boys--the main event. Bewilderment and hilarity slosh together as the author contemplates never-ending bathroom jokes, bemoans her family's persistence in calling intermis...more
Published February 1st 2007 by Jefferson Press

To ask other readers questions about House of Testosterone, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about House of Testosterone

Karen
Might make a good blog but doesn't really cut it as a book. My library had this shelved in the "humor" section but, while mildly amusing at times, it is never really laugh out loud funny. I suppose I might have felt differently if I had a houseful of sons. I'd call it more of a memoir or blog type book.

One more positive thing about this book: it made me want to go hug my husband and thank him for being the amazing guy he is. This author seems to love her husband but she also talks about him like...more
Alexandra
Being a mom of three boys, I really thought that this book was going to offer insight and tips. Not so much. It was like talking to a girlfriend and hearing all about her life. It was funny and insightful at some points, but it really was a long series of stories about this woman and her family of three boys. Interesting, but honestly, it was just like reading my own life. Nice to know that there are other moms out there with stories just like mine, but not what i expected.
Reesa
Some parts are good, and I can empathize with the author on a lot of it, but it starts reading like a list of complaints about males and it's just not amusing enough to distract from the misanthropy. I wanted to be interested, but I ended up giving up. It's mildly amusing but it just never drew me in enough to care what else the author had to say about the guys in her life, and there's no ongoing plot to keep me hooked as I wonder how things are going to conclude.
Marie
Apr 08, 2008 Marie rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: people who like to read humor, moms of boys
Recommended to Marie by: my husband, but he had the same feelings about the book
Written by the mom of three stereotypical boys, I could relate to some of this humorous book and not so much to others. I don't really care for humor at the expense of others, and the author is a bit of a martyr and is pretty hard on her husband. It certainly made me happy that my sons are more renaissance types, interested in more than sports!! Not sure I'd recommend it to others--it was fun at first but then the humor grew a bit tiresome after awhile.
Heidi
I was looking forward to this book since I am outnumbered 3 to 1 by the boys in my house. Unfortunately, it wasn't all that great. It was more a series of short essays thrown together in a loose book format. Though it had a few good laughs, I found it to be very whiny and a bit depressing. It sounds like she just throws her hands up and gives up on a lot of issues with her boys. It sure made me appreciate what a great husband I have!
Emily
this was a really funny book. i was given it as a gift as i am about to have my second boy, but i think all married women would find this funny. her husband gets the worst beating of all in the book. i think many women could relate to the humor behind this book. she is a little harsh on her husband and the humor starts to get old towards the end, but i was laughing out loud in the beginning. definitely an entertaining read.
Jen
If you are a mother of boys and live in an all-male household (including pets)this is a must read. You'll find yourself identifying with many of the scenarios that Sharon O'Donnell presents. This book will have you laughing and sympathizing with O'Donnell, however the last third of the book, the author quickly covers topics and forgets to add some good stories that would surely enrich the chapters.
Kate
I just wanted to tell the author to teach her sons to do laundry, make a couple of girlfriends and take control of the remote every once in awhile. A friend gave me this book for the birth of my second son and I thought it would be a fun read. Mostly I just got annoyed (but I kept reading). I know there's prone to be some exaggeration, but it all just seemed really whiny to me.
Lura Miller
I loved this book simply because I could relate! I have three boys...the author has three boys...I have a husband consumed by video games, history channel, and sports, and music, and movies, and she has a husband consumed by sports. I wish I had her mental stability though...she seems so much more together than I am! Hahaha!
Very funny, very real, very relative to me!
Cassie
The last chapter made me incredibly choked up, but the ones leading up to it were basically a laundry list of male stereotypes -- boys love sports, smell bad, don't show their emotions, etc. I could definitely relate to some of what Sharon O'Donnell wrote, but I guess I was hoping that she'd go a little bit more beyond the stereotypes associated with raising boys.
Migs Fiel
Thanks, Sharon, for making me realize how big a headache I am to my mom. I'm a 15-year-old guy and this made me experience motherhood. An easy-read that will make you laugh, cry, and smile (but mostly laugh) at the same time. Everyone can relate.

P.S.: I also like The Wedding.
Leslie Farrell
Dec 17, 2007 Leslie Farrell rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: moms of boys
Sharon O'Donnell is a writer and mother of three sons. This book is a humorous look at her struggle to remain sane while living in a house of males. She tackles issues like communicating with boys and breaking up fights, and shows the reader how to find joy in the midst of chaos.
Ariane
READ THIS BOOK!!! I would give this book six stars if I could. It made me laugh and then at the end it was really tender and made me cry a little. No matter if you have boys or girls, you will like this book. Some of the stuff in here is pretty universal parenting stuff.
Wynnae
This was a cute, quick read. Made me laugh a few times. But also had some cheesy "advice" that should have been edited out. Would have been better to just stick to the silly stories. Great book to read on a flight for someone who has a house full of boys!
Kay
This quick read is a sometimes amusing account of a mother in a houseful of males - her 3 sons, husband and even the dog. She loved her role but was wistful for more feminine touches in her life, and, as with all busy households, a bit of peace and quiet.
Melissa
Thought I'd be able to relate, as I've always lived in housed full of men. Yuck! This book should have been titled "My Husband Has Never Grown Up and Acts Like a Jerk." Her sons would behave much better if they had a better role model.
Brooke
HILARIOUS! The similarities between my life and Sharon's are uncanny! I laughed through the entire book--out-loud (just ask my husband). Very amusing and a fun, light read. Does it imply anything if my mother gave me this book? Hmmm....;)
Kim
This was a funny book depicting life for a woman alone in a household of males. I enjoyed reading it and realized halfway through the book that it actually takes place here in Raleigh, so that was cool too.
Lisa
Many funny momments. Finishes a little weak. Felt like I laughed harder and more often during the 1st half. Moms of boys will appreciate. She has a website too: http://www.momsofboys.org/
Nicole
I picked this up thinking I could give it to my sister who has two boys. But this was awfully sophmoric.........all boys love sports! And so do their husbands! Blah blah.
As a mom of three boys, I laughed out loud at some of her stories and how similar they were to some of my own. A great, light read to moms with multiple kids, especially boys.
Nicole T
I'm almost finished.. SO, SO, SO FUNNY! Sharon O'Donnell also has a support site: www.mothersofboys.org I recommend this book to all mothers of two or more boyS.
Melanie
It was funny. A good easy read as a stress reliever. Happy to know my family is not quite as bad, though some parts rang freighteningly accurate.
Odette
This started off quiet hilarious, but turned a bit preachy. Lots of moral lessons and she kept repeating her family values.
Jen Kosegi
Didn't learn much, just an occasional chuckle. Author's cutesy writing style quickly became grating.
Karen N
Cute for those of us who can relate. I chuckled throughout - quick read between some heavier picks
Deanna Alzubi

Really fun book for mother's of boys. I could totally relate to everything!
Jehnie
Amusing anecdotal stories but could have used some editing and cleaning up.
Melissa
my life in a nutshell...loved this book!
Julie
Great book for mothers of boys. Funny.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
House of Testosterone House of Testosterone: One Mom's Survival in a Household of Males House of Testosterone: One Mom's Survival in a Household of Males