Start by marking “Dragon Precinct” as Want to Read:
Dragon Precinct

Dragon Precinct (Dragon Precinct #1)

3.53 of 5 stars 3.53  ·  rating details  ·  172 ratings  ·  32 reviews
Humans and elves, dwarves and gnomes, wizards and warriors all live and do business in the thriving, overcrowded city of Cliff's End, to say nothing of the tourists and travelers who arrive by land and sea, passing through the metropolis on matters of business or pleasure -- or on quests. The hard-working, under-appreciated officers of the Cliff's End Castle Guard work day ...more
Published (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Dragon Precinct, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dragon Precinct

Trekscribbler
Keith R.A. DeCandido never met an entertainment franchise that he didn't like. I've heard it rumored that he's pitched a series of novels focusing on that former fat-guy Jerod from all of those "Subway" commercials ... and that may end up being more entertaining fare than his fantasy-themed riff on CBS's juggernaut "CSI" franchise with "Dragon Precinct," a largely tepid but thankfully quick read.

Don't get me wrong: DeCandido (and others) has done a scholar's work in sinking the "Star Trek" fran
Jessica Brawner
Dragon Precinct & Unicorn Precinct, published by Dark Quest Books, are the first two books in a series, by Keith R.A. DeCandio, the third of which, Goblin Precinct, is set to come out in the spring.

Set in the city-state Cliff’s End, the books follow two detectives, who strive to solve crime in a city filled with elves, trolls, gnomes, wizards, halflings and other fantasy creatures. A Lord and Lady rule the city, along with a cadre of Nobles that seem destined to get in the way of the bad guy
Karen
Dragon Precinct mashes up two of my favorite genres of books: mysteries and fantasy. I enjoyed the off-beat characters, the plot pacing, the tone, and even the coarse language. Then again (full disclosure) I am friends with Keith and could often hear him reading it in my head.

The good: This is a really unique take on fantasy. The main characters are not one-dimensional, as can happen with so many fantasy novels. It's part of a series, so I'll get to revisit these characters and this world again.
Meredith
My beloved police procedurals in a fantasy setting, how did I not read this earlier? Finished this in two days (pfft, grad school) and immediately picked up the next one. I'm looking forward to seeing a lot more of the relationship between Danthres and Torin...

One note: I hate accents and dialects being written into dialogue; I'd rather have it noted and described than explicitly written. Somehow, this time, it didn't bother me. That's some masterful dialectifying.
John
This was an interesting book. If you take a basic cop mystery and set it in a fantasy port, you get Dragon Precinct. Our heroes are two detectives who have to solve the murder of a Hero (note the upper case). Since the Hero in question dropped dead with a broken neck and no residual magic on the scene, the investigation is non-trivial to say the least.

This was a fun book, though I had a few issues with it keeping it from getting more than 3 stars. First, to give it that gritty cop drama feel, th
Star (The Bibliophilic Book Blog)
In Cliff’s End, Danthres Tresyllione and Torin ban Wyvald are the best detectives the Castle Guard has to offer. They get called in when a hero from the Elven Wars is murdered in a seedy inn, but there are no clues to follow. The M.E. says there is no presence of magic and they can’t find any physical evidence either. Yet when the Brightblade’s comrades start falling dead, the pressure’s on…

‘Dragon Precinct’ is a relatively short book and even so, it’s put together very well and is full of adven
Tyrannosaurus regina
I'll be honest, I absolutely picked this one up for the title. I didn't have huge expectations, other than basic competence (perhaps because I've had a bit of a bad run with similar book selection techniques lately), but it actually turned out to be quite entertaining. Nothing revolutionary, and not entirely what I was expecting based on the title, but an enjoyable way to spend an hour or two.
Karen
Police procedural set in a heroic fantasy world.

I enjoyed this, but I did feel the mystery cheated a little. While it's possible to work out who is the murderer quite easily, how they did it is impossible to spot because a whole lot of relevant information isn't given until the denouement. As for why they did it... while something is mentioned fairly early on, I doubt you'd see the significance because until the end, there's no way to connect it to anything else.

On the other hand, the characters
Ubalstecha
Imagine a classic fantasy quest story. A group of adventurers coming together to fight against a dark sorcerer who is rising from the dead. The night before they are do to depart, the seek lodging in the local inn. The morning after, one of them is found murdered in a locked room. Quickly the local constabulary assigns their best investigators to the case, but as the bodies start to stack up, can they find the murderer before they lose their jobs to the politics of the local nobility.

A great det
J.L. Zenor
The characters in this book are fantastic. Each has a unique quirky personality that is fun to discover. The story is interesting.

My only negative for this book is that it does have a bit of language in it, which makes it less fun to read. But beyond that it's a great read.
Ryan
What do you get when you cross a buddy-cop movie with Lord of the Rings? A fun novel by Keith DeCandido, that's what.

A group of questers - a hero, an elf, a dwarf, two halflings, a priest, and a barbarian - walk into a bar. Sounds like the start of a bad joke, but when they start getting murdered, it's up to two detectives to get to the bottom of why, and what this has to do with another investigation into a bunch of bad black-market glamours going around the city.

The book reads a lot like a me
Damien
Not a bad book. I am not into Police procedurals and I was not sure what to expect. The author does a great job of creating unique and interesting characters, especially characters that are normally the background characters in most stories.

This book puts those detectives or guards at the front of the story.

As you read this you get this tiny view into what has to be a very large world. You hear of past battles and villains that attempted to destroy everything, but you don't have that traditional
Hobart
What a great concept--take a typical D&D-ish city, filled with Elves, Half-Elves, Halflings, Dwarves, Magic Users, etc. and throw in a typical Law & Order-ish police force investigating a variety of crimes. Most notably, a serial killer knocking off legendary members of a band of heroes embarking on an epic quest.

Not the greatest fantasy novel I've read in the last few months--but such a fun one, I hated for it to end. The detectives (and most of the supporting cast) were a lotta fun, an
Kristen
The title says it all.. I just do not know what to say LOL. I mean it was a great book but didn't really draw me in enough to say "OMG WOW what an amazing book!" I felt like I was just reading.. Not READING as being totally engrossed in the book. The mysteries don't seem like important mysteries to get interested about. Something's missing. But I do love the idea of sci fi/ paranormal detective work. I mean the cops being literally characters like goblins, elves, etc etc. It's a nice twist! That ...more
Mark Singer
What seemed like an odd comibination of genres, a police procedural in a fantasy setting, actually worked.
Samuel Lubell
The book reads like a police procedural set in a D&D type world. A group of heroes from the last big war meet up at a tavern and start dying. The ME (Magical Examiner) claims no magic was used to kill them. The author takes all the conventions of a CSI type police show/book and adapts them to fit the fantasy setting.

Oh, the formatting for the epub verison is awful. It claims 1341 pages but every screen is three pages after the previous one.
Patrick Lum
Alright, but not great. A police procedural/fantasy mash-up is a fine thing, and this is decent enough, but it's always on the slightly wooden edge of entertainment value and plays out as if it is ultimately more about the fantasy than the police procedural, which isn't really my preference. Still, I might check out the rest of the series.

Oh, also the case's solution is kind of pulled out of nowhere.
Yvensong
Quick and fun read. This is primarily a buddy-cop murder mystery set in Cliff's End, an over-crowded city filled with dwarves, humans, wizards, etc. A group of travelers stop in Cliff's End to obtain passage to begin an adventure. One of their party members is murdered in a mysterious and impossible way, leaving the two detectives with little to go on and high demand for a quick resolution.
Erica
Basically Law & Order meets a Dungeon & Dragons game meets LOTR (sort of). This was a fun read as well and not exactly what you would expect from a fantasy novel. I'm not sure what to say about it exactly other than it was fun to read. The characters were fairly interesting, although I wish some of them had been fleshed out more outside of their jobs.
Darren
Generally enjoyable story. Some interesting characters, some just a pain in the neck. The mystery part of the book was not terribly well done, because we didn't get some key information about the world's magical system until very late in the game - at which point, it was too easy to figure out the mystery.

I think I'll try the next one.
Jim Holthaus
A quick, light read. Or re-read, in this case. I can't give it a high rating because it suffered on re-read. The characters don't develop during the story and I didn't develop any attachment to any of the characters. Interactions between the characters seemed stilted and formulaic, suggesting that they felt the same way about each other.
Hasien
This was a nice mystery. I loved the descriptions of each precinct in the cuty-state. I enjoyed how the mystery played out. This story reminded me of the tv show Barney Miller - ok, so I am dating myself but still; it did remind of that tv show. I liked the interaction between the detectives, guard and the common folk.
Simeonberesford
The best lines are quoted in the blurb, there is not much point proceeding beyond it. A party of adventurers about to embark on a quest are being killed off before they start, the local precinct investigates. It is then a police procedural with a fantasy twist. A lacklustre attempt at straddling two stools.
Libby
That was... different. Humans, elves, dwarves, magic, and cops. An enjoyable, lively story.
I adore this book! It's a police procedural mystery, but set in a Fantasy world. One of the cops is a half-blood elf. It's part Law and Order and part Dungeons and Dragons. Funny, imaginative, meaningful and a kick-ass mystery to boot.
Joe
This was better than I remembered.

Good police work.
Fun tracking down false leads.

Like reading an episode of “Hill Street”
[but with elves and magic]

Now I am ready to find the rest of this series.

Keith, good work.
Jeff
An interesting twist on the fantasy genre, procedural cop novel. Moves along at a pretty quick pace, while still remaining entertaining. Looking forward to the rest of the series.

Craig
A quick and fun read; a police procedural locked-room mystery set in a typical Tolkienesque fantasy world. Not as good as I remember the Lord Darcy stories as being, but still quite clever.
  • Sympathy for the Devil  (Quincey Morris, #3)
  • Urshurak (A Bantam Book)
  • Queen of the Demonweb Pits (Greyhawk Classics, #6)
  • Cruel Zinc Melodies (Garrett P.I., #12)
  • Lord of the Libraries (The Rover, #3)
  • Fanuilh (Fanuilh, #1)
  • The Best of the Realms: The Stories of Elaine Cunningham (Forgotten Realms: The Best of the Realms, #3)
  • Soul Seeker (Lasniniar, #1)
  • Realms of the Deep (Forgotten Realms: Anthologies, #7)
  • Two Hundred and Twenty-One Baker Streets: An Anthology of Holmesian Tales Across Time and Space
  • The Kobold Wizard's Dildo of Enlightenment +2 (an Adventure for 3-6 Players, Levels 2-5
  • Prince of Wolves (Pathfinder Tales)
  • Lord Darcy  (Lord Darcy, #1-3)
  • Stalking The Unicorn
  • The Earth Lords

Dragon Precinct (5 books)
  • Unicorn Precinct
  • Goblin Precinct
  • Gryphon Precinct (Dragon Precinct)
  • Tales from Dragon Precinct
Serenity Nevermore (Supernatural, #1) Cycle of Hatred (World of WarCraft, #1) Bone Key (Supernatural, #3) Heart of the Dragon (Supernatural, #4)