Start by marking “Shadows Past (Borderlands, #3)” as Want to Read:
Shadows Past (Borderlands, #3)

Shadows Past (Borderlands #3)

4.1 of 5 stars 4.10  ·  rating details  ·  523 ratings  ·  26 reviews
The bestselling Borderlands saga continues

Rabbit is struggling to make sense of his new powers and his new position as King Jusson's heir when a man once scorned by his mother comes seeking retribution-and demands that Rabbit marry his daughter...

Published (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Shadows Past, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Shadows Past

Rebecca C
It's better than the second book but again, not as good as the first book. Without giving any spoilers, in this installment of the series Rabbit suffers from an over-abundance of lady suitors and seemingly an utter lack of common sense. Character development almost appears to have taken a few steps backward in some instances. Other flaws in Freeman's writing become more pronounced this time around: her dialogue-heavy scenes become confusing and oft-sidetracked by tangents (which characters will...more
Bookwormgirl
I waited a long time for this book. Author and publisher issues delayed this book for a long while. I am happy to say that I am glad that it was published. Rabbit is back and the cast has kept up its level of insanity. My complaints are that we go from now that there is a cabal of wizards including Slevoic based in Tural and Rabbit and co starting to do something about it at the end of Kings Own to a revenge plot based off the events of the first book. I think it is a good story and it does expl...more
Dorottya
The story itself was good, butthe way it was written... First of all when you introduce a new character you should describe their appearence right away to help the reader imagine them. Not several pages later...

There were several big mistakes in the book. Like the publisher never read and editid it. Or the editor was very incompetent...

Also this is the last book of the series, and it is not closed. And regarding the time since it was published, it is unlikely that the author will write more boo...more
Jael
In this installment, Rabbit faces a whole new problem. Matrimony. Apparently, Rabbit's mother, Hilga, was originally betrothed to Lord Idwal but she had caused a scandal by secretly wedding Rabbit's father when she was already pregnant with Rabbit's oldest sister. So, Lord Idwal wants redress for this... humiliation/dirty laundry by having the betrothal being honored with Rabbit marrying Lord Idwal's daughter.

For me I felt this book was a lot like the second book but it still wasn't as good as...more
Adara Latour
Mar 16, 2013 Adara Latour rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who loves full blown fantasy and great characters
I was worried about this one a little bit before reading. One thing that makes this series so great is that it has no romantic inclinations. We know Rabbit is interested in girls, but he was no real driving need to marry. It is one of the few modern day fantasies that does it so well.

So when I read the summary I was worried, but Freeman pulled it off wonderfully. Though Rabbit is wooing his intended he’s not really falling love with her, there is this undercurrent of his emotional thoughts. I al...more
SilverRaindrops
In "Das Vermächtnis", Teil 3 aus der Reihe um die Grenzlande, soll Hase, Thronfolger von Iversterre, Magierschüler aus den Grenzlanden, und eigentlich nur ein eifnacher Soldat, mit einer Dame von geeignetem Stand verkuppelt werden; mit allen katastrophalen Ergebnissen, die Hases Verwicklung in derartige Dinge nun einmal nach sich zieht.

Für alle, die die anderen Bücher aus Lorna Freemans Reihe um die Grenzlande bereits gelesen haben, bietet sich hier eine Begegnung mit alten Bekannten, die, wenng...more
Kerry
This turned out to be quite a disappointment after how much I liked the first two books in the series.

I still really like the characters, especially Rabbit, but the writing was a bit of a mess. There was too much I couldn't remember because it is so long since I read the previous books and I wasn't given enough hints to remind me. That meant I couldn't remember some important points that turned out having major bearing on the story.

The time flow of the book stuttered a bit too. A chapter would f...more
BKF
The third book in series continues where we left in second book. The trauma caused by events effect Rabbit and he has a lot to learn. As second book this one is in small location a castle of a Lord. However we see more foreigners and new aspects of magic. Loved it, definitely a must read.
Chris
The first book was awesome, and I liked the second book two. But the third and final installment of this series fell short for me.
It had way too much going on. I felt like I needed a flow chart to keep track of it all. And with all that was going on, I just didn't care about any of it. Not really.
Maybe it was written too long after the second book that the writer lost the magic of the story? Or maybe her heart just wasn't in it?
I'm not sure.
But I couldn't finish it. I got to about page 200 and...more
Joseph Opolony
I enjoyed this book a lot, Not as much as the first but more then the second. Has anyone seen anything on the 4th book? I found the name but nothing else. Reckoning Flames being said name.
April
I love the Borderlands series and I eagerly awaited the third book. I was extremely happy to receive this book on my birthday and I finished it quickly. I was a little surprised to see Lorna Freeman deviate from her previous stories by adding a little bit of romance, it was still the same old Lorna Freeman. She expertly combines politics and magic into an intriguing world that keeps you in thrall. I was pleased to see the introduction of more and more powers and kingdoms. I am so eagerly awaitin...more
Sandra
MORE! The story isn't finished. You can't leave Rabbit hanging like this.
Mordie
The third book didn't live up to the second or first book. The whole idea of marrying Rabbit off seemed outlandish to me.

It was enjoyable and fun to read what was happening to my favorite characters. Still it didn't feel like an end. It wasn't end of a trilogy. So I feel like wanting to yell, where is my next book?

I had to wait this one for years too. As I understood, some publisher problems. I do hope there won't be more of them, as I would love see more from this author.
Megh
I was so happy when this book came out. I didn't know it was scheduled to be released, but I immediately snatched it up in Kindle and actual book editions.

This is a great addition to Rabbits saga. I really enjoyed the mystery in this book, though I hated the love story line. Characters grew, the plot thickened and overall things got only more awesome. I recommend this series to anyone. But good luck finding the first book (print or otherwise) -- you can only get it used.
kvon
A fantasy with romance and mystery elements. Who is attacking the king's party? Will either of the two young ladies with their eyes on Lieutenant Rabbit succeed? I don't really remember that much of the first two books in the series. Rabbit is a bumbling hero, finding truth in spite of himself. Elemental magic pops up frequently. I like the coda a lot, where the king tries to reach an understanding with Rabbit.
Ally
I was definitely super excited when I saw this pre-order arrived from Book Depository

I have missed reading about Rabbit and with this book this series have certainly goes on my comfort books which I can re-read without feeling bored of it

Let's hope the fourth book wouldn't have the same waiting period :P

Gabby
I have to say that I was not as impressed with this as I was the first two in the series. Not saying that it was bad just not up to standards. Though the behavior of the characters is later explained. It does make me want the next one to come out. Though so far I can't find anything on it.
Lynn Calvin
Amazon preorder,
I may need to go reread the first two on this. It had flashes of brilliance, but there were some things going on that were really obvious to me and I got impatient with the characters.
Rebecca Armstrong
loved this well worth waiting for hope there's more. Brought out more depth in the important background characters and made some past situations and reactions add up x
Shadowmaat
More awesomeness from Lorna Freeman and the Borderlands series. Still addicted like crack to these books. Bring on book 4!
SarahBeth
This wasn't the best of the three, but still a good story. Waiting forever now for book four.
Teot
Still really enjoyable, but not as good as the first two novels.
Rob
Definitely happy to see this series continuing.
Simba
So satisfying. Four years between books is too long. Srsly.
Lynn Calvin
Amazon preorder
Justyn Kyle
Justyn Kyle marked it as to-read
Sep 21, 2014
What's The Name o...: SOLVED. Fantasy book with unique magic system [s] 10 81 Mar 29, 2014 03:03PM
Looking Good: Published In 2010? 1 17 Jun 15, 2009 07:05AM
I doubt this book will ever see daylight 3 54 Jun 15, 2009 07:00AM
  • The Skewed Throne (Throne of Amenkor, #1)
  • Devlin's Luck (Sword of Change, #1)
  • Blackhearted Betrayal (Shades of Fury, #3)
  • Elseerian (The Chronicles of Lumineia: The Second Draeken War, #1)
  • The Prince of Shadow (Seven Brothers, #1)
  • Six Heirs (The Secret of Ji, #1)
  • Spirit's End (The Legend of Eli Monpress, #5)
  • In the Eye of Heaven
  • Sparks (Anya Kalinczyk, #2)
  • The Covenant Rising (Dreamtime, #1)
  • The Ships of Air (The Fall of Ile-Rien, #2)
  • Restoration (Rai-Kirah, #3)
  • The Book of Jhereg (Vlad Taltos, #1-3)
  • Circle of the Moon (Sisters of the Raven, #2)
  • Destiny's Shield (Belisarius, #3)
  • Das Erste Horn (Das Geheimnis von Askir, #1)
  • The Fire's Stone
  • Lumen (Uralte Metropole, #3)
Covenants (Borderlands, #1) The King's Own (Borderlands, #2)