Start by marking “Boy Overboard” as Want to Read:
Boy Overboard

Boy Overboard

3.66 of 5 stars 3.66  ·  rating details  ·  1,364 ratings  ·  110 reviews
Jamal and Bibi have a dream: To lead Australia to football glory in the next World Cup. But first they must face pirates, storms, and assassins. Can Jamal and his family survive their incredible journey and get to Australia?
Paperback
Published by Chivers North America (first published August 1st 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Boy Overboard, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Boy Overboard

Amy
Maybe I've read this book at least a dozen times before.
And maybe my copy is coming unglued from the spine from the number of times I've read it and the number of times I've flipped to the title page to see the authors signature and dedication ('G'day Amy!')
And maybe it's written for 8-10 year olds.
And maybe it's primary purpose is to explain to children the horrifying plight of asylum seekers, and attempt to humanise an issue that xenophobic assholes spend all their efforts dehumanising.
And may
Irad
In the book Boy Overboard we are told about two children, boy and girl who want to lead Afghanistan to win the football world cup, the government in Afghanistan does not allow to girls to play football: “Girls playing soccer is a big crime I say. Almost as big as Mum and Dad running illegal school at home. If the government finds that note, Mum and Dad are in serious trouble.”p.9
Their mother is a teacher, and like the government does not allow to play football the government does not allow to wo
PixelCat
read this book in school with my grade 8 class and it changed how some of my classmates thought. there was one boy in my class always making racist remarks and argued that asylum seekers and taking aussie jobs and we dont have room and that they should stay in theyre own country. but once we finished this book the boy was completely different. he even did his class speech on the issue of asylum seekers and how we need to help them because they have no where else to turn. books change people.
Shane Harcombe
A fantastic book that has been so relevant for Australian audiences ever since it was published. It contains a great story line, fantastic characters in Jamal & Bibi, excitement, humour, sadness and relevant issues for readers to think about.

It is a great way to interest reluctant readers, as well as raise the issues of societal freedoms, how lucky we are in Australia, the plight of asylum seekers and the impact of our policy decisions.

I cannot recommend this book highly enough. I think it i
Dale
An interesting story from the PoV of an Afghani refugee to Australia. Would be great for exploring the way people live differently around the world. There are some concepts in the book that would not be appropriate for most primary aged kids, but could be skipped without destroying context in the story (ie the taking of girls and the implied reasons).
Watermelon Daisy

Boy Overboard was a story I had to read in English.

Truthfully, I loved the idea of the story. A family breaking all the rules –things that in Australia we do everyday– and have to run for survival. It seemed like such a wonderful plot. And honestly, I did like how Jamal and Bibi used soccer as a sort of escape from their horrible lifestyle.

However, the writing style just ruined it all. No commas, just short sentences. I found myself having to read some sentences over again, because since the len
Tanja
I read this book in one go, just couldn't put it down. This is the story of a family that has to flee Afghanistan to save their lives. They desperately try to make their way to Australia, as many other refugees, with little money and at the mercy of ruthless human traffickers. While the writing style didn't blow me away (but I could imagine younger readers appreciating the short sentences and straight forward style), the plot did. This book makes surely a great accompanying read-aloud to any uni ...more
Caitlin
A beautiful story told from the innocent perspective of a young boy. As he did in his 'Once' books, Gleitzman captures the voice of a kid trying to make sense of the chaos around him.
Jamal, his sister Bibi and their parents flee the Taliban with the intent to seek asylum in Australia.
I listened to the Bolinda Audio book, which was read by Gleitzman. His voice was wonderfully expressive and gave the story another dimension.
James
A very good story that will make any person want the laws about refugees to be changed.
Rachel McCarthy
I did like it a lot, but when I was eight. I know there are some teens & adults who enjoy reading good, classic children's books, but don't even give this a second glance unless your under eleven. Just don't.
But if you do, I found it REALLY interesting! When I was eight.
Imma
I was a little disappointed in how this book was written. There was very little emotion conveyed. However, I got hooked on the story and ended up having a few tears.
A brilliant way to highlight the stormy-waters ahead for a refugee fleeing persecution...
Camryn Ison
This book is about a boy named Jamal and a girl named Bibi. They are brother and sister and they live in Afghanistan. Jamal LOVES soccer and is always playing with his team. Bibi has developed an interest in soccer as well and she is a natural, the problem is girls aren't allowed outside and their parents already have a secret school and are hiding a lot of things from the government. They soon realize that one little girl that escapes without permission can lead to a lot of danger they wouldn't ...more
Kirsty
I was given this book by a nine year old student in my class. He often lends me books and 9 times out of 10 he has good taste. This book was no exception.

I enjoyed the fast pace, the child's perspective style of writing- especially the naivety of it, how it dealt with difficult issues in a child friendly way. Though I agree that it could have used more emotion, if it had, it would have become unsuitable for the children reading it. I do think that a more balanced perspective of life in Afghanis
Lauren
We had to also read this for school. I honestly thought it was extremely boring. WHy do we have to study it in year seven when we were all reading it back in grade 4????
Rennai
This is a quick and easy book to read. It is told from the perspective if Jamal who is a young boy growing up in war torn Afghanistan. It tells about the dangers of life for him and his younger sister and their mum and dad. They have to flee their country when the government tries to kill them (the mother was running an illegal school which included girls). The story tracks their journey to Australia as refugees. It's a great book for telling kids about life for others in dangerous countries and ...more
Esther
Jacinda
A perfect book that will hopefully inspire some young Australians to become a little more accepting of different cultures and more understanding of what a refuge must go through. I think it, like all Morris Gleitzman books, is written in a way kids can identify with and would help a child put themselves in another's shoes. He was my favourite author when I was younger and he still has the ability to write books that tackle some of the more difficult subjects for children.
Kelvin
Mar 13, 2012 Kelvin rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: whoever is reading this
Recommended to Kelvin by: no one
Great story. Many similarities to 'Once' (well duh they're by the same author but yeah). The main plot of the story is that Jamal (the main character) and his family are trying tot make escape to Australia because they are being hunted by the Afghanistan Government. Jamal has a special item that he keeps (like Felix's notebook), which is a patched up football. He tries to understand what is going on (like Felix he is uninformed). He attempts to use his football skills ton help him (like Felix an ...more
Grace Elizabeth
DerinSezercan
This is a book which was written by an Australian author who worked for refugees in his country. He wrote about a boy who lived in Afghanistan and his house was bombed because of giving education to girls. This family runs away from their country. A difficult trip awaits them. Are they going to arrive to Australia safe? Who will help them for days on a small boat? Read and learn what will happen...
WakenPayne
This (and it's sequel) were given to my Grade 8 English class. 4 years have passed since then. Yet I still remember this book.

Basically Bibi and Jamal aren't really likeable (Bibi in particular) Jamal spends his time talking to the reader about soccer as well as his experience going from Afghanistan to Australia. It might be just that I am different from almost every other person but I don't want to hear the only other topic of conversation being Soccer.

Characters also get introduced in the book
Tegan
I'm a teacher and have read this book several times with my grade sixes (10-12 year olds). It is extremely well written. Year after year I have seen the impact it has on the life of children that read it and the way their point of view about refugees and asylum seekers changes. A must read! This is one of my favourites.
Jai Vithlani
I chose to read this book as I have heard a lot of recommendations. The reason I rated this book five stars is because of the way it has been written; it is always pushing the answer forward, which makes you want to keep reading. When you get to the end of the book it wraps it up nicely but you keep on want to read whats happening after the end. That is also following on to what i like about this book is that it leads on to another book called girl underground and after that it finishes and it i ...more
Jane
Written from the point of view of a young boy, whose family is forced to leave Afghanistan when his parents' school for girls is discovered. The story is told simply and directly and the characters are fiercely outlined. It has an obvious moral point, but the end is ambiguous, which allows for thought and discussion.
Katelyn
I really enjoyed this book. I learn't a lot about Afghanistan in the process and this showed me about all the troubles real people actually have. At first I didn't know if I would enjoy this book seeing as I'm not a soccer person, but it turned out to really hook me in and there were many parts that were very nail - biting. I love Bibbi's character!!! Boy Overboard was very inspiring and I would definitely recommend!
Anne
I enjoyed this book as it was insightful. It targets young adult readers and is thought provoking for them, as indicated by the reactions of my year 8 students. An easy and quick read for adults.
Nessica Q
it was a book my teacher read to me a few years ago but it made it much better for having someone else reading the book for me instead of me reading it myself
over all i liked the book
Speakercoret
"Sepak bola tidak dilarang, tapi pemerintah tidak suka orang2 bermain bola. Kurasa mereka malu karena kami tidak punya bintang internasioanl di afganistan ini"
......
"anak umur sembilan tahun tidak seharusnya membenci negeri mereka. Mereka seharusnya mencintai negeri mereka, berharap negeri mereka bermain bagus di piala dunia dan mendapat penghargaan dari negara2 lain, supaya mereka berhenti memborbardir kami"

pemikiran sederhana jamal, anak afganistan, suka main bola, suka m.u, kagum sama bibi, a
Byeongok Ha
Boy Overboard by Morris Gleitzman

This book is about a boy and a girl from Afghanistan. Their government bullied them (mean government) So they decided to go to Australia so they don't get bullied by the governments. Their dad found smugglers which can take them to Australia. Smugglers were very mean, because they made them sit squished in small space.
When they got on a boat to Australia, pirates and smugglers, got all the expensive things like, watch, jewellery, basically that worth money, But w
Henry Grant
I would hate to be Jamal or Bibi at that time. But overall a cool but nerve wrecking story. Just goes to show what it is like for people over there.
  • Specky Magee (Specky Magee, #1)
  • The Ruby Talisman
  • Jimmy's Stars
  • The Amethyst Child
  • Mirror
  • Crow Country
  • The Secret City (Pyrates, #1)
  • I Am a Taxi
  • Ghost Ship
  • Who Am I? The Diary Of Mary Talence, Sydney 1937
  • Writing Clementine
  • Belle Teale
Morris began his writing career as a screenwriter, and wrote his first children's novel in 1985. His brilliantly comic style has endeared him to children and adults alike, and he is now one of Australia's most successful authors, both internationally and at home. He was born in England in 1953 and emigrated to Australia in 1969 so he could escape from school and become a Very Famous Writer.

Before
More about Morris Gleitzman...
Once (Once, #1) Then (Once, #2) Now (Once, #3) After (Once, #4) Two Weeks with the Queen (Cascades)

“We may not be in Manchester but we will always be united” 8 likes