Start by marking “Winter Longing” as Want to Read:
Winter Longing

Winter Longing

3.77  ·  Rating Details ·  1,597 Ratings  ·  170 Reviews
A plane crash in Alaska takes
Winter’s first love away forever . . .
When Winter’s boyfriend is killed in a plane crash in
the Alaskan wilderness, she’s robbed of the future
she’d only just allowed herself to believe might be
hers. Winter and Spencer had been destined for one
another. And after his death, Spencer’s presence
continues to haunt her.
But when her next-door neighbor b
Kindle Edition
Published (first published August 1st 2010)

♥Rachel♥
Oct 04, 2012 ♥Rachel♥ rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Winter Longing is a story about love, grief, and the guilt that comes from moving on. It was a beautiful bittersweet story in a beautiful setting, Alaska.

Winter Craig’s dream has come true. After crushing on her best friend, Spencer, for years, they’ve admitted their feelings and shared several dreamy kisses. They’ve committed to each other, finally becoming girlfriend and boyfriend instead of just friends. This has been long coming for both of them and throughout the story you have flashbacks
Ariana

This was such an emotional story. The beginning was light and somehow funny, introducing the characters which I found really enjoyable , then it was just heart breaking to see how death can change everything and everyone.

Indeed it's a story about the power of moving on even though your heart is breaking, even though you might feel that the world has nothing else to offer.

From time to time the story seemed a little bit rushed, like those months were not enough, but who am I to say how long shoul
Arlene
A kiss is a lovely trick designed by nature to stop speech when words become superfluous. – IB

Okay, it might not come as a surprise, but I just have to say I’m a sap for love stories and happily-ever-afters. What can I say?? So did I like Winter Longing?? I sure did. It was a super sweet read that was filled with loveable characters and heartfelt moments that had me sighing and holding back the tears.

The story commences with Winter suffering a terrible blow as she deals with a terrible tragedy i
It will never cease to amaze me how our worlds, dreams, and personalities—our very beings—are colored, supported, and influenced by the people around us. When we lose someone close to us everything can change. Things we loved doing are now painful. People we once looked upon with love now cause pain laced with memories of the one we lost. So. How do we keep going?

Winter Longing by Tricia Mills tells the story of such loss and the struggle the heart faces to try to move on. Readers are introduced
Wendy Darling

Definitely on the more well-written end of teen romances; full of sad and bittersweet moments, but not overly melodramatic. Readers will easily identify with Winter's pain and both Spencer and Jesse are surprisingly sweet. The author writes interesting characters and doesn't take the easy way out with typical YA machinations or manipulative tearjerker interludes, although to make this a truly great book, it might've helped to make both boys a little less perfect. Just a little.
Savannah (Books With Bite)
This book was really romanic and fluffy. In a good way. I loved reading it.

Winter's life has ended. Her one true love whom she finally came out died after their very first kiss. Now she's not sure what do to or even to go on anymore. Until she get to know Jesse. A boy next door whom is there for her like nobody else.

What I really like about this story, was ow Jesse is. He knows that Winter has been through a lot. And instead of pushing her, he step aside, holds her hands and is just there for he
Morgan
Jun 20, 2011 Morgan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 4-stars
Click here to read more YA reviews at READING, EATING & DREAMING

WARNING…DO NOT READ ON A PLANE OR ANY OTHER PUBLIC SETTING…THIS BOOK MAY CAUSE TEARS! Oh yeah, I was on a three hour plane ride while I bawled my way through this book. Embarrassed, I had to keep looking up from the book to stare at the headrest in front of me while I tried to think happy thoughts so I could keep the tears at bay. Pretty humiliating…but worth it!

With themes on loss, mourning, moving on, and the consequences of
Princess Bookie
Nov 12, 2009 Princess Bookie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read2010
My Thoughts: Oh My. Have you ordered this book yet? If you answer NO to that, you need to right now. Yes, it is that good. The setting is Alaska and I adore books set in Alaska, makes you feel like you are really there. We are introduced to Winter who is a teenage girl who has been lusting after Spencer for years upon years. He's one of her best friends. She reveals her feelings, kisses him, so excited for whats to come. Great, right? The next day she finds out his plane went down. He's dead. Sh ...more
Damaris (GoodChoiceReading)
Aug 16, 2010 Damaris (GoodChoiceReading) rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Damaris (GoodChoiceReading) by: goodchoicereadin@aol.com
Shelves: for-fun
5 Stars!

Tricia Mills has written a beautiful story! I could not help but cry at some parts in the book. Tricia did such a great job at describing the way Winter felt, that I felt like I was in her shoes.

Winter has always been in love with her best friend Spencer. She finally got the courage to ask him out and when she does, Winter finds out that Spencer has always cared about her too. After finally getting the chance to be with Spencer, Winter loses him in a plane crash. Her whole world fell ap
Shanyn (Chick Loves Lit)
Winter Longing put me through an entire range of emotions - most of which I hadn't experienced while reading a book in quite some time. I was sad, angry, hopeful, excited, happy, devastated. The emotion that the author Tricia Mills puts into this book is unbelievable.
We spend our time with Winter, who has experienced a great loss, and how she recovers. While I have yet to experience such a loss (and hope not to for a long, long time), the beautiful writing and raw emotion show us this transform
Lena ♫ ♪
Mar 23, 2010 Lena ♫ ♪ rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arcs
I cannot tell you how emotionally driven this book is. Within the first 40 pages, I was literally in TEARS! Throughout the book, I kept having to pull back soft sobs.

Though (at times) difficult to read, I still managed to stay up all night and finish it. I loved the characters (especially Jesse). When they felt pain, I felt pain. When they laughed, I laughed. Just like Winter, I kept hoping and praying somehow Spencer would return. But also like Winter, I knew better.

My favorite moments were t
Dec 02, 2009 Jennifer rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: aug-2010
Bottom Line – I laughed (yes I LAUGHED!), I cried, and most of all I rooted for Winter! This book carries with it a beautiful story, one I am honored to give 5++ mushrooms to. If Winter Longing is any indication of the talent that Tricia Mills has to offer the world, all I can say is that she better be ready for an amazing ride to the top of the pile! I surely will be picking up anything else she writes, and have already ordered Tricia's other book, Heartbreak River. All I can say now is that I ...more
Purvika
Goodreads synopsis:

When Winter's boyfriend is killed in a plane crash in the Alaskan wilderness, she's robbed of the future she'd only just allowed herself to believe might be hers. Winter and Spencer had been destined for one another. And after his death, Spencer's presence continues to haunt her.
But when her next-door neighbor becomes an unlikely friend, Winter begins to accept all that she can't change. Can she open herself to a new future . . . and a possible new love?

My review :
Sometimes w
Orlanda Machado
MY BLOG - go check other reviews: http://landamac.weebly.com

review

My rating is 4,5* and not only 4* because I seriously liked this book. It was one of my favorite books but I knew that I couldn't give it a 5* because I read some books even better than this one... What a shame. It was hard task for me (I really liked the story and the characters).

Winter Craig (the book's protagonist)has one best girfriend and a best boyfriend named Spencer. They were friends since EVER and she had feelings for him and
Kristi
Nov 12, 2009 Kristi rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I started Winter Longing because I was in the mood for a love story, and in that aspect I was completely satisfied. This wasn't really a book I'd call fluffy, but it was easy to read.

Winter is the main character, and she loses her best friend/boyfriend. They'd just declared there feelings for each other.... so very sad. Despite those initial feelings of empathy toward Winter.... sometimes I found her character to be a little annoying... and a little flat. But I think the portrayal of her dealing
Farrah
Aug 05, 2011 Farrah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, own
Winter Longing starts off with Winter finding out Spencer, her life-long best friend and day-long boyfriend, died in a plane crash. She is devastated and buries herself in grief. Then comes Jesse. Jesse helps Winter come to terms with Spencer's death and move on.

I loved this book. It is absolutely heartbreaking. I liked how even when Spencer wasn't technically in the book, I still got to know him and see how sweet he was. I wan't irritated that Winter kept holding on to him like I expected to be
Clarabel
Sep 02, 2010 Clarabel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
C'était excellent, tout ce que je voulais !
Winter a perdu son grand amour dans un accident d'avion, elle n'arrive pas à remonter la pente, et est malheureuse comme les pierres. Puis elle se sent coupable d'aimer à nouveau et se demande si c'est bien et si elle a le droit, et si ce n'est pas trop tôt.
La souffrance de la jeune fille est vraiment bien exprimée, j'avais le coeur gros dès le début du roman, ensuite ça devient plus guimauve car Jesse est un type formidable (j'ai craqué). Mais tout es
Talltree
Shows how life is like in a small Alaskan town for teenagers. I loved the snippets about Spencer so much, I kept hoping till the end that that he would come back. Alas,no show.
Jesse seems like a good guy, but eh the connection between Spencer and the h was something else. Also I never understood why Jesse suddenly decided he wanted Winter. The sight of her hysterical and depressed and crazy made him fall for her after all this time living next door all their life?! Doesn't really make sense.
I l
Holli
Dec 09, 2013 Holli rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think teens will love it. I couldn't give it 4stars tho bcz we weren't privy to some of the personal scenes. We were informed later that a conversation had taken place earlier. Esp the big conversation I had waited for the entire book ! Rarely do I think a book should be longer but I think it should have been about 400 pages. I did not think that Jesse's voice sounded genuine. Did not really come off as a teenage boy's voice at times. I really didn't think the character was given much time to ...more
Nicole
The protagonist named, Winter, is traumatized from her boyfriend's sudden death. He is killed in a plane crash in the Alaskan wilderness, and Winter has to start fresh as if nothing had every happened with her former boyfriend, Spencer. Winter and Spencer had been destined for one another. And after his death, Spencer's presence continues to haunt her.
Winter actually meets her next-door neighbor and they surprisingly become friends. Winter is basically trying to get over the death of Spencer but
Ayana
Jan 18, 2012 Ayana rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012-read, favorites
I search for this like forever!!! I can't find it in any bookstores that I went. I guess I have to order it. *sigh...

UPDATE (17/2/2012)

I HAVE IT NOW!!!! YESSSS!!! *off to read it!
Erin
Jun 10, 2010 Erin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a beautiful story... Reminded me of Chasing Brooklyn (also a beautiful story).
I loved how Ms. Mills ended each chapter...
I definitely recommend this read!
Kami
2.5 Stars

The first thing that jumped out at me when I began reading was that Winter was in high school. I must’ve misread the description or skimmed right over that fact because I had expected more of an adult take on this story. That said, it wasn’t a bad read but also not what I expected.

I had a difficult time believing Winter’s grief from the perspective of someone who was in love. There were a few reasons for the disconnect. The most important in my mind was the lack of interaction between
Brittany
You know that friend you grow up with and end up starting to have feelings for when you get older? Well, this is the case with Winter and Spencer. Soon after Winter confesses her feelings to Spencer he has to leave to take an airplane license test. When Spencer never returns and a plane wreckage is found up in the icy mountains of Alaska, Winter is crushed. She can't even turn to her friend Lindsay who is also suffering from the loss of Spencer. Soon though, Winter's next door neighbor seems to ...more
Brittany (Nice Girls Read Books)

While Winter Longing is a quick and enjoyable contemporary YA tale dealing with the loss and discovery of love, I felt a little disappointed. It lacked a certain aspect of solidity, one that held me back from really loving the characters and their journey.

I liked the characters well enough, but I think that after you close the last page you’d forget them. It’s a sad and emotional journey for Winter, but one I felt would have impacted the reader a little more if we’d seen more of the boy she l
Book Ardour
Sep 26, 2012 Book Ardour rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
I found out about Winter Longing when searching through my book recommendations online, but because of the mix reviews I wasn’t sure about purchasing it. About a day after I asked my friend if she read it and whether or not she liked it and she said it was “good” so I thought I’d give it a go.

The story takes place in a small town called Tundra. Winter Craig is a high school senior who finally master the guts to ask out her friend and lifelong crush. But the day after, a devastating lost of her l
Mitchii
3.5/5

After that energy consuming, patience tester, Bloodrose , I need something light to read, something that will wash away all these negative emotions I have so I immediately picked up Winter Longing in the heaps of books on my reading list. Hoping that this one will do help me with my goal. And I’m glad I did pick it up, it was really a nice book. It was simple but ever so true.

I feel sorry for Winter because when she and Spencer finally became an official couple a horrible tragedy happene
Karla Mae (Reads and Thoughts)
How would you cope up with the moment when the one that you want is there by your side but the very next day he is gone?

This is never gonna be easy for Winter. She has been in love with Spencer since she was eight years old and when they finally decide to go from being friends to more, she loses him the very next day with no chance of returning at all. Winter's life was taken over by the grief of losing her first love. She's devastated and began to question why such things happens in life, her l
Bethany
Dec 02, 2012 Bethany rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own
4 hearts
I LOVE this quote! [There is sooo many good ones in this novel!]
A kiss is a lovely trick designed by nature to stop speech when words become superfluous."

Winter Longing is not my normal read. I was drawn to this book by the cover, and I'm glad I was. This story took me on an emotional roller coaster. Heart wrenching... and beautiful moments of happiness, combined with humor that will make you laugh, cry, and smile.

Winter suffers a horrible loss as she deals with the tragic death of her
Rita
Sep 17, 2016 Rita rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is Tricia Mills’ second book and I absolutely love this one. This novel is very contemporary (and heartwarming) for young adult and it describes a lot about grief, finding second chances (moving on) and love.

Winter always had a crush on Spencer since they first meet but they just became really good friends. One day, she decides to step up and tells him how she feels and in return, Spencer also loves her and they have shared their kiss in the middle of the night. Winter is finally happy and
"Winter Longing" Quiz ! 1 6 Feb 25, 2012 06:32AM
  • Salvaged (Salvaged, #1)
  • Breathing
  • For Keeps
  • Caleb + Kate
  • The Beautiful Between
  • Tell Me a Secret
  • The Lighter Side of Life and Death
  • Swoon at Your Own Risk
  • Sing Me to Sleep
  • Second Kiss (Second Kiss, #1)
  • Paradise
  • Other Words for Love
  • Stay with Me
  • The Naughty List (The Naughty List, #1)
  • Playing Hurt
  • Harmonic Feedback
  • Girl Saves Boy
  • Invisible Girl
Tricia Mills is a pseudonym of Trish Milburn.
More about Tricia Mills...