Winter Longing

Winter Longing

3.78 of 5 stars 3.78  ·  rating details  ·  1,282 ratings  ·  159 reviews
A plane crash in Alaska takes
Winter’s first love away forever . . .
When Winter’s boyfriend is killed in a plane crash in
the Alaskan wilderness, she’s robbed of the future
she’d only just allowed herself to believe might be
hers. Winter and Spencer had been destined for one
another. And after his death, Spencer’s presence
continues to haunt her.
But when her next-door neighbor b...more
Kindle Edition
Published (first published August 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Winter Longing, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Winter Longing

Ariana

This was such an emotional story. The beginning was light and somehow funny, introducing the characters which I found really enjoyable , then it was just heart breaking to see how death can change everything and everyone.

Indeed it's a story about the power of moving on even though your heart is breaking, even though you might feel that the world has nothing else to offer.

From time to time the story seemed a little bit rushed, like those months were not enough, but who am I to say how long shoul...more
Arlene
A kiss is a lovely trick designed by nature to stop speech when words become superfluous. – IB

Okay, it might not come as a surprise, but I just have to say I’m a sap for love stories and happily-ever-afters. What can I say?? So did I like Winter Longing?? I sure did. It was a super sweet read that was filled with loveable characters and heartfelt moments that had me sighing and holding back the tears.

The story commences with Winter suffering a terrible blow as she deals with a terrible tragedy i...more
♥Rachel♥
Winter Longing is a story about love, grief, and the guilt that comes from moving on. It was a beautiful bittersweet story in a beautiful setting, Alaska.

Winter Craig’s dream has come true. After crushing on her best friend, Spencer, for years, they’ve admitted their feelings and shared several dreamy kisses. They’ve committed to each other, finally becoming girlfriend and boyfriend instead of just friends. This has been long coming for both of them and throughout the story you have flashbacks...more
It will never cease to amaze me how our worlds, dreams, and personalities—our very beings—are colored, supported, and influenced by the people around us. When we lose someone close to us everything can change. Things we loved doing are now painful. People we once looked upon with love now cause pain laced with memories of the one we lost. So. How do we keep going?

Winter Longing by Tricia Mills tells the story of such loss and the struggle the heart faces to try to move on. Readers are introduced...more
~Tina~
TBR Reduce Challenge #16- 2011 (Stefanie)

This book broke my heart:(

Winter has loved Spencer since she was eight years old and when they finally go from friends to more, she loses him the very next day. Through random flashback and memories we get to see Spencer and Winter interact from children till the very last night together.
Winter's grief felt like it was pulling you through an endless pit of pure heart fail. But, for every terrible moment in your life, there is a silver lining, and for Wi...more
Wendy Darling

Definitely on the more well-written end of teen romances; full of sad and bittersweet moments, but not overly melodramatic. Readers will easily identify with Winter's pain and both Spencer and Jesse are surprisingly sweet. The author writes interesting characters and doesn't take the easy way out with typical YA machinations or manipulative tearjerker interludes, although to make this a truly great book, it might've helped to make both boys a little less perfect. Just a little.
Savannah (Books With Bite)
This book was really romanic and fluffy. In a good way. I loved reading it.

Winter's life has ended. Her one true love whom she finally came out died after their very first kiss. Now she's not sure what do to or even to go on anymore. Until she get to know Jesse. A boy next door whom is there for her like nobody else.

What I really like about this story, was ow Jesse is. He knows that Winter has been through a lot. And instead of pushing her, he step aside, holds her hands and is just there for he...more
Damaris (GoodChoiceReading)
Aug 30, 2010 Damaris (GoodChoiceReading) rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Damaris (GoodChoiceReading) by: goodchoicereadin@aol.com
Shelves: for-fun
5 Stars!

Tricia Mills has written a beautiful story! I could not help but cry at some parts in the book. Tricia did such a great job at describing the way Winter felt, that I felt like I was in her shoes.

Winter has always been in love with her best friend Spencer. She finally got the courage to ask him out and when she does, Winter finds out that Spencer has always cared about her too. After finally getting the chance to be with Spencer, Winter loses him in a plane crash. Her whole world fell ap...more
Princess Bookie
My Thoughts: Oh My. Have you ordered this book yet? If you answer NO to that, you need to right now. Yes, it is that good. The setting is Alaska and I adore books set in Alaska, makes you feel like you are really there. We are introduced to Winter who is a teenage girl who has been lusting after Spencer for years upon years. He's one of her best friends. She reveals her feelings, kisses him, so excited for whats to come. Great, right? The next day she finds out his plane went down. He's dead. Sh...more
Shanyn (Chick Loves Lit)
Winter Longing put me through an entire range of emotions - most of which I hadn't experienced while reading a book in quite some time. I was sad, angry, hopeful, excited, happy, devastated. The emotion that the author Tricia Mills puts into this book is unbelievable.
We spend our time with Winter, who has experienced a great loss, and how she recovers. While I have yet to experience such a loss (and hope not to for a long, long time), the beautiful writing and raw emotion show us this transform...more
Lena ♫ ♪
I cannot tell you how emotionally driven this book is. Within the first 40 pages, I was literally in TEARS! Throughout the book, I kept having to pull back soft sobs.

Though (at times) difficult to read, I still managed to stay up all night and finish it. I loved the characters (especially Jesse). When they felt pain, I felt pain. When they laughed, I laughed. Just like Winter, I kept hoping and praying somehow Spencer would return. But also like Winter, I knew better.

My favorite moments were t...more
Bottom Line – I laughed (yes I LAUGHED!), I cried, and most of all I rooted for Winter! This book carries with it a beautiful story, one I am honored to give 5++ mushrooms to. If Winter Longing is any indication of the talent that Tricia Mills has to offer the world, all I can say is that she better be ready for an amazing ride to the top of the pile! I surely will be picking up anything else she writes, and have already ordered Tricia's other book, Heartbreak River. All I can say now is that I...more
Landa Machado
MY BLOG - go check other reviews: http://landamac.weebly.com

review

My rating is 4,5* and not only 4* because I seriously liked this book. It was one of my favorite books but I knew that I couldn't give it a 5* because I read some books even better than this one... What a shame. It was hard task for me (I really liked the story and the characters).

Winter Craig (the book's protagonist)has one best girfriend and a best boyfriend named Spencer. They were friends since EVER and she had feelings for him and...more
Morgan: Read, Eat, Dream
Click here to read more YA reviews at READING, EATING & DREAMING

WARNING…DO NOT READ ON A PLANE OR ANY OTHER PUBLIC SETTING…THIS BOOK MAY CAUSE TEARS! Oh yeah, I was on a three hour plane ride while I bawled my way through this book. Embarrassed, I had to keep looking up from the book to stare at the headrest in front of me while I tried to think happy thoughts so I could keep the tears at bay. Pretty humiliating…but worth it!

With themes on loss, mourning, moving on, and the consequences of...more
Kristi
I started Winter Longing because I was in the mood for a love story, and in that aspect I was completely satisfied. This wasn't really a book I'd call fluffy, but it was easy to read.

Winter is the main character, and she loses her best friend/boyfriend. They'd just declared there feelings for each other.... so very sad. Despite those initial feelings of empathy toward Winter.... sometimes I found her character to be a little annoying... and a little flat. But I think the portrayal of her dealing...more
Emma
I very much enjoyed reading this book. Sure it was sad. I mean, the heroine's first and only love dies in chapter 2 and I did shed a few tears. We only see Spencer in flashbacks and notes, which was nicely done.

The story centered around Winter, her best friend Lindsey and the boy-next-door Jesse. How the two girls dealt with the death of their best friend sounded true and I could definitely imagine myself reacting like either of those two (well even like both of them actually).

The main story goi...more
Purvika
Goodreads synopsis:

When Winter's boyfriend is killed in a plane crash in the Alaskan wilderness, she's robbed of the future she'd only just allowed herself to believe might be hers. Winter and Spencer had been destined for one another. And after his death, Spencer's presence continues to haunt her.
But when her next-door neighbor becomes an unlikely friend, Winter begins to accept all that she can't change. Can she open herself to a new future . . . and a possible new love?

My review :
Sometimes w...more
Farrah
Winter Longing starts off with Winter finding out Spencer, her life-long best friend and day-long boyfriend, died in a plane crash. She is devastated and buries herself in grief. Then comes Jesse. Jesse helps Winter come to terms with Spencer's death and move on.

I loved this book. It is absolutely heartbreaking. I liked how even when Spencer wasn't technically in the book, I still got to know him and see how sweet he was. I wan't irritated that Winter kept holding on to him like I expected to be...more
Clarabel
C'était excellent, tout ce que je voulais !
Winter a perdu son grand amour dans un accident d'avion, elle n'arrive pas à remonter la pente, et est malheureuse comme les pierres. Puis elle se sent coupable d'aimer à nouveau et se demande si c'est bien et si elle a le droit, et si ce n'est pas trop tôt.
La souffrance de la jeune fille est vraiment bien exprimée, j'avais le coeur gros dès le début du roman, ensuite ça devient plus guimauve car Jesse est un type formidable (j'ai craqué). Mais tout es...more
Nicole
The protagonist named, Winter, is traumatized from her boyfriend's sudden death. He is killed in a plane crash in the Alaskan wilderness, and Winter has to start fresh as if nothing had every happened with her former boyfriend, Spencer. Winter and Spencer had been destined for one another. And after his death, Spencer's presence continues to haunt her.
Winter actually meets her next-door neighbor and they surprisingly become friends. Winter is basically trying to get over the death of Spencer but...more
Fatima
You can find the original review at: https://helpalittle.wordpress.com/201...

Why love if losing hurts so much?
We love to know that we are not alone.
-C. S. Lewis

Where there is love, there is life.
-M. K. Gandhi

A kiss is a lovely trick designed by nature to stop speech when words become superflous.
-Ingrid Bergman

These are some of the quotes from this book, which made me feel raw and as vulnerable as Winter Craig. This book is a heartwarming, and made me feel like I can relate to it. There was nothi...more
Ayana
I search for this like forever!!! I can't find it in any bookstores that I went. I guess I have to order it. *sigh...

UPDATE (17/2/2012)

I HAVE IT NOW!!!! YESSSS!!! *off to read it!
Erin
What a beautiful story... Reminded me of Chasing Brooklyn (also a beautiful story).
I loved how Ms. Mills ended each chapter...
I definitely recommend this read!
Sam Canto
"Thank you" I thanked him for being my friend, for being my first love, and for understanding that I had to move on

I really really enjoyed this book, at first I wasn't really convinced to read it because I knew it would be heartbreakingly sad but I'm glad that I decided to do it.

I loved all the characters in here, seriously there wasn't even one that I disliked, well maybe Patricia. I enjoyed reading about Lindsay and Caleb, about Spencer and about Jesse and Winter.

It's a sad book, I have to a...more
Brittney
Summary: Winter Craig couldn’t feel any better. She finally confessed her feelings to her lifelong crush Spencer and they shared their first kiss. But the day after, tragedy strikes. Spencer is killed in a place crash while trying to get his pilot’s license. Everything that Winter knew crumbles before her very eyes. Instead of spending the rest of her senior year blissfully dating Spencer she spends it wandering around trying to make sense of everything. With her best friend Linsday by her side...more
Katie
Tricia Mill's sophomore YA novel is just as good as her debut. Since I first heard about it I have been dying to read it and I was not at all disappointed.

Winter Craig finally screwed up her courage and told Spencer her feelings. She has been in love with him since second grade and it seems like maybe he has had feelings for her for a while too. But the day after their first kiss Spencer is killed in a plane crash and Winter is devastated. She doesn't know how to move on with her life and she do...more
Cindy
From reading the summary, you know what's coming. Yet, reading about the hope Winter has of seeing Spencer again makes you sort of hope that she will see him, and you sort of forget what we already know what's going to happen. And when he dies and Winter finds out, I was every bit as heartbroken as she was.

I really liked Winter, and she reminded me of myself sometimes. I could easily put myself in her shoes and the author's way of expressing her emotions really had me feeling the pain with her...more
Junna CarLa ♥♥♥
i actually really loved it ..
after reading it, i was not able to put it down ..
i just lay there on my bed and absorbed everything ..

"There is only one happiness in life, to love and be loved.”
—George Sand

“My bounty is as boundless as the sea,
My love as deep; the more I give to thee,
The more I have, for both are infinite.”
—Romeo and Juliet

“I found the one my heart loves.”
—Song of Solomon 3:4

“Nobody has ever measured, not even poets, how much a heart can hold.”
—Zelda Fitzgerald

“Love makes your s
Mindy
I could not connect to the characters.

Having the death come so fast and so early without really getting to know Spencer and see him and hear him talk just caused me to not feel heartbroken over Winter's loss. Yes, I was sad that he died but on the premise that this book is based on... I should have felt more. It's mostly her grieving, and being such a short book, it was hard to accept the pacing. And when she reaches out to Jesse... I still didn't feel anything.

Jesse's just too perfect. It seems...more
Kapri
Winter Longing was a real and emotional read. I really enjoyed it; I thought it was beautiful and mesmerizing.

In the beginning, Winter's best friend and new found love dies in a tragic accident. You never actually meet Spencer while he is alive. You get a glimpse of their relationship from when they were kids at the beginning of each chapter. I like this because A) It didn't take time away from the story and B) it added to the emotion.

I loved Winter, and really felt for what she was going throu...more
"Winter Longing" Quiz ! 1 5 Feb 25, 2012 06:32AM
  • Caleb + Kate
  • Salvaged (Salvaged, #1)
  • Paradise
  • Breathing
  • For Keeps
  • Girl Saves Boy
  • Tell Me a Secret
  • Second Kiss (Second Kiss, #1 in series)
  • Swoon at Your Own Risk
  • Kiss It
  • Take Me There
  • Invisible Girl
  • Friend Is Not a Verb
Tricia Mills is a pseudonym of Trish Milburn.
More about Tricia Mills...
Heartbreak River