Start by marking “The Fireman's Fair” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Josephine Humphreys

3.62 of 5 stars 3.62  ·  rating details  ·  184 ratings  ·  18 reviews
A devastating hurricane forces Charleston to pick up and rebuild, but it is Rob Wyatt's own decision to salvage and remake his life.
Published May 1st 1991 by Viking Books (first published 1991)

To ask other readers questions about The Fireman's Fair, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Fireman's Fair

Kim Whitley-Gaynor
One of my favorite fiction books. Great writing. Wonderful little quotable nuggets that you will re-read again and again … and savor. The only reason I'm not giving it 5 stars is because it's been years since I've read it and I don't remember the story. Need to re-read.
Sharp, sad, hopeful portrait of a man who mopes around and screws up his life because he can't have what he wants, until he figures out that it's not at all what wants. Excellent writing, lovely portrait of Charleston, SC, good lightweight beach read.
Julie Barrett
The Fireman's Fair
Rob Wyatt is redoing his life, moved and taking things slower and realizing just what is important in his life.
Ex lawyer and Hurricane Hugo has gone through Charleston, moves to the beach bungalow.
Family and girlfriend relationships and out of work but trying to keep it all together as he helps others out that complicate other relationships.
Overall, an enjoyable novel of relationships set in Charleston in the wake of the hurricane. (Clearly, it doesn't take too much probing to uncover the symbolic properties of the hurricane!) The characters are sympathetic and believable for the most part: Rob is an understandable force of middle-aged insecurity, and it is hard for the reader not to fall in love with Billie. The actions of the characters, however, often seem stiff, staged and even melodramatic. (For example, Maude's comment to Jac ...more
I picked this up at a local book fair. I'd forgotten how much I like reading Josephine Humphreys. She can capture my beloved lowcountry and color it with rich and authentic characters. She got the essence of the storm spot on, too.

In the aftermath of the storm of the century, Rob Wyatt, a thirty—two—year—old Charleston bachelor, finds himself assessing his life as well as his property damage. Life changes culminate at the annual Volunteer Fire Department Fair, as Rob's past and
I recently re-read this. The author is from Charleston and describes the area in such a way that you feel like you are there--and in a way that presents an almost intimate backdrop for the lives of the characters. Basically a story about a man having an (early) mid-life crisis while those around him are dealing with their own life crisis--how he deals with his own life and that of others, and how the characters are intertwined is always a draw for me, and Humphreys does it so well.
In the wake of Hurricane Hugo, a thirtyish young man finds himself adrift, uninterested in the law career he has chosen, and embarks on a time of self-examination, i.e., doing very little. Events lead him back into life. Good characters, well-written.
Marge Prohofsky
This is a really slow read for me. The main character is a bit pathetic and depressing right away, so I hope to stick with him and see if life changes...
nope...i'm done. Can't continue...
Charles M.
Story about a man who leaves law profession, seeking new love, etc. Found story line weak and confusing, but there were some enjoyable moments to all this.
Very enjoyable story on relinquishing ties to one's past relationship and understanding how new relationships can help with that freedom.
Becky Snow
This Southern novel takes place near Charleston, SC. Best description of being in a hurricane and the aftermath I remember reading.
Ellen Johnson
Theme is dear to my heart: why don't people just say WTF they mean? I am more impatient with insecure characters than I used to be.
I was very surprised that I couldn't really get into this book. I have liked all of the other books I have read by this author.
Stephanie Williams
Wasn't as good as Rich in Love and I think suffered from having a male main character as he seemed a little flat.
funny story of a man puzzling the meaning of love and friendship--great lines about men and dogs
It's a short book, but it took too long to get to the story.
Mary Baggett

Beautifully written character study. Moves rather slowly.
A really good low country read.
Pamela marked it as to-read
Oct 04, 2015
Brandy marked it as to-read
Sep 28, 2015
Laura marked it as to-read
Sep 26, 2015
Abby Trachtman halzel
Abby Trachtman halzel marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2015
Paul added it
Aug 24, 2015
Michelle marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2015
D marked it as to-read
Jul 03, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • South Carolina: A History
  • Red Clay, Blue Cadillac: Stories of Twelve Southern Women
  • A Soldier's Heart (The Flanagans, #7)
  • The Fireman
  • Hot Shot
  • His Holiday Family
  • Playing with Fire
  • The firefighter and the girl from the coffee shop (Coffee Shop Girls, #5)
  • Me and My Baby View the Eclipse
  • Falling for the Fireman (Gordon Falls, #1)
  • Turtle Summer: A Journal for My Daughter
  • Love in a Dry Season
  • The Hot Line
  • To Hate Like This Is to Be Happy Forever
  • Informed Risk
  • I Cannot Get You Close Enough: Three Novellas
  • Starting Over: Stories
  • The Floatplane Notebooks
Josephine Humphreys (born February 2, 1945) is an American novelist.

(from Wikipedia)
More about Josephine Humphreys...
Rich in Love Nowhere Else on Earth Dreams of Sleep Josephine Humphreys Reads Dreams Of Sleep And Rich In Love (Excerpts) Interview With Josphine Humphreys

“When people say they are happy for you it may mean they are sad for themselves.” 14 likes
“Like most good looking women, she was never sure of her beauty, and had to keep checking on it, to make sure it was still there.” 12 likes