Start by marking “To Dance at the Palais Royale” as Want to Read:
To Dance at the Palais Royale

To Dance at the Palais Royale

Winner of three historical fiction awards! 14-year-old Aggie, a newly arrived immigrant working as a domestic, is tormented by her trouble-making sister and an overbearing housekeeper. Luckily, Aggie is soon befriended by a rich, young, idealistic girl named Rose who convinces her to dress like a lady and attend a dance at the Palais Royale. Rose's brother falls for Aggie, ...more
Published November 1st 1998 by Fitzhenry & Whiteside (first published January 28th 1996)

To ask other readers questions about To Dance at the Palais Royale, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about To Dance at the Palais Royale

Follow the River by James Alexander ThomMrs. Mike by Benedict FreedmanHere be Dragons by Sharon Kay PenmanGreen Darkness by Anya SetonThe Winthrop Woman by Anya Seton
The Unknown, Hidden Gems of Historical Fiction
414th out of 1,553 books — 1,265 voters
The Remains of the Day by Kazuo IshiguroThe House at Riverton by Kate MortonBrideshead Revisited by Evelyn WaughA Room with a View by E.M. ForsterHowards End by E.M. Forster
Downton Abbey-esque Books
326th out of 510 books — 914 voters

More lists with this book...

CLM
Aug 27, 2010 CLM rated it liked it
For some reason, I love stories about young women in domestic service - perhaps because I grew up on Upstairs Downstairs. Here, Aggie Maxwell leaves friends and family behind in Scotland where she has no prospects and travels to Toronto to work as a maid. Her strict older sister Emma limits Aggie's ability to make friends so adjustment to new life is slow and difficult but Aggie ultimately triumphs.
Mar 31, 2012 Sarah rated it liked it
At one point in this book, McNaughton seemed set to give us a fairy tale, complete with a prince to sweep our Cinderella into a life of ease. She doesn't, which is far more satisfying.

Aggie's journey is the focus here. From child to woman, from coal-miner's daughter to immigrant, from scared and shy to owning her own choices.

I really appreciated the unexpected details - the young Jewish wife haunted by pogroms, the older sister who isn't making the best choices, the space characters give each o
Ashley
Sep 24, 2015 Ashley rated it really liked it
I thought this was a lovely book. The story is lively and keeps the reader wondering what will happen next. My only complaint is that there are a lot of loose ends that I wish had have been tied up. Maybe the author wants to keep the reader guessing or wants the reader to choose what happens to Agnes and her family on their own. Either way I think it would have been better if all those little things got tied up. Still, amazing book. Four stars for this beautiful piece of writing.

NOTE
The descrip
Katie
Nov 28, 2013 Katie rated it it was amazing
This is the book I have reread more than any other. A beautiful coming-of-age story, complete with friendship, heartbreak, and a wonderful love story. I love the history of Toronto mixed in with this story; I read this book when I was even younger than Aggie in the book, and I still try to catch a glimpse of the Palais Royale when I pass it on the highway.
Gabriele Wills
Aug 24, 2010 Gabriele Wills rated it liked it
A rather uneven story that seems to go in one direction and then veers off in another, leaving the reader wondering about characters that played such a large part in the first half. Worth the read, but it could have been so much more.
Jackie M
Jackie M rated it really liked it
Dec 24, 2013
Nicole
Nicole rated it it was ok
Dec 31, 2015
Michelle
Michelle rated it really liked it
Sep 06, 2010
Travis
Travis rated it did not like it
May 19, 2011
Melody Pond
Melody Pond rated it it was ok
Oct 25, 2015
Kirsty
Kirsty rated it liked it
Sep 03, 2016
Allison Macdonald
Allison Macdonald rated it it was amazing
Oct 02, 2012
Amy
Amy rated it it was amazing
Mar 14, 2012
Mandy
Mandy rated it liked it
Dec 23, 2014
Briana
Briana rated it liked it
Mar 30, 2013
Amy
Amy rated it really liked it
Jan 16, 2012
June
June rated it really liked it
Mar 21, 2014
Jillisa
Jillisa rated it it was amazing
Aug 09, 2013
ICE
ICE rated it really liked it
Nov 02, 2010
Steph
Steph rated it it was amazing
Dec 11, 2009
Tanya
Tanya rated it really liked it
May 27, 2010
Katya Sokolova
Katya Sokolova rated it it was amazing
Oct 06, 2015
Erryl
Erryl rated it really liked it
Nov 19, 2011
Emily
Emily rated it it was amazing
Feb 19, 2011
Lauren
Lauren rated it liked it
Dec 04, 2016
Ariel
Ariel rated it really liked it
Feb 03, 2011
Jing Rainbole
Jing Rainbole rated it really liked it
Jun 10, 2009
Bri
Bri rated it it was amazing
Apr 25, 2014
Erin
3. 2009/09/19
2. 2008/09/27
1. 1998/01/01
Angela
Angela rated it really liked it
Aug 07, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Janet McNaughton is the multi-award-winning author of many books, including The Secret Under My Skin, An Earthly Knight and her most recent novel, Dragon Seer, which was shortlisted for the prestigious TD Canadian Children’s Literature Award, as well as both the CLA Young Adult Book Award and the Book of the Year for Children Award. McNaughton lives in St. John’s, Newfoundland, with her family.
More about Janet McNaughton...