Start by marking “Missing Lucile: Memories of the Grandmother I Never Knew” as Want to Read:
Missing Lucile: Memories of the Grandmother I Never Knew

Missing Lucile: Memories of the Grandmother I Never Knew

3.57 of 5 stars 3.57  ·  rating details  ·  53 ratings  ·  12 reviews
Even as a child, Suzanne Berne understood the source of her father's terrible melancholy: he'd lost his mother when he was a little boy. Decades later, with her father now elderly and ailing, she decides to try to uncover the woman who continues to haunt him.
Every family has a missing person, someone who died young or disappeared, leaving a legacy of loss. Aided by vinta
Published October 12th 2010 by Algonquin Books of Chapel Hill

To ask other readers questions about Missing Lucile, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Missing Lucile

Catherine
Missing Lucille was certainly the appropriate title for me. After my long slog through the almost 300 pages, I’m definitely missing Lucille.

The author (Lucille’s granddaughter) had only tiny shreds of biographical information and resorted to padding out the book with general historical facts and creating novelistic scenarios. I kept with it hoping that as Berne progressed through Lucille’s life she would have more information to go on and flesh out Lucille’s real story. It never happened. I fee
Anne
How many of us have wondered about our mothers lives when it's too late? The author, Susanne Berne's father thinks his mother didn't love him. she died when he was 6 and was told she was gone. Lucile was one of the daughters of the grocer, Kroger. Her life is pieced together and it is a fascinating tale.
Christine Rebbert
An interesting example of writing a biography of a person about whom you really know very little... Berne wants to "find" her grandmother, Lucile Kroger (yes, the daughter of the main who started the grocery chain) so she can "give" him to her father who suffered the loss of his mom when he was very young and remembers very little about her. His main sense of his mother was that she never smiled and never seemed interested in her children. Berne does discover some old letters, photos and other m ...more
Becky
I love the idea of this book; Berne's attempt to piece together the life of the grandmother she never knew is fascinating. I do mean "piece together" because there's not much left behind about the woman who died when Berne's father was barely old enough to remember her. She has some interesting things to say about memory and family that I particularly enjoyed.
Debra
I am finding this book quite compelling from a genealogical perspective. Many times we only have bits and pieces available for reconstructing the lives of our ancestors, and Suzanne Berne has written a very interesting telling of her grandmother's life as she has been able to reconstruct it from a small family archive, family stories, a biography on her great grandfather, Bernard Henry "Barney" Kroger, and an attentive eye to detail either found or missing from the record.

Ms. Berne has certainly
Chez
loved this book... for a history buff this story was intertwined with historical events..
loved it sooo much that I had to reserve all her books from library
Smadar Belkind-Gerson
Jan 12, 2012 Smadar Belkind-Gerson rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Barbara Waite
I found this book on a bookshelf for local authors. I was amazed what a great job Suzanne Berne did with so little to go by. She really brings Lucile, her grandmother to life, when there was so little known about her. Amazing research and personal insight!
JoeAnn Hart
This was an amazing investigative bio of the author's grandmother. She started out knowing almost nothing about her, and uncovered a whole generation of highly educated, talented women for whom the doors of the world were mostly closed. Beautifully written.
Joanna
Well written and the author keeps you attention even if it isn't your family she's writing about. Great example for genealogists to read as they think about a creative way to share their discoveries with others.
Laurie Ferris
I never did find Lucile. The book was way too full of conjecture. It ended up with very weak character and a lot of disjoinyed facts about the period.
Robin
Aug 13, 2010 Robin marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Interesting sounding bio of Lucile Berne, the missing Kroger heiress. Due to be published October 2010.
Pam Wilson
Fascinating and beautifully written. I enjoyed every page.
Caitlin
Caitlin is currently reading it
Mar 02, 2015
Li
Li marked it as to-read
Jan 20, 2015
Beth
Beth marked it as to-read
Jan 06, 2015
Yvette Porter Moore
Yvette Porter Moore marked it as to-read
May 24, 2014
Laura Lee
Laura Lee marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2014
Barb Brandt
Barb Brandt marked it as to-read
Mar 06, 2014
J.
J. marked it as to-read
Feb 20, 2014
Glee Fornow
Glee Fornow marked it as to-read
Feb 17, 2014
Kathleen
Kathleen marked it as to-read
Jan 29, 2014
Rosemary
Rosemary marked it as to-read
Dec 24, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »
A Crime in the Neighborhood The Ghost at the Table A Perfect Arrangement The Dogs of Littlefield The Ghost at the Table: A Novel