Star Strike (Inheritance Trilogy, #1)

Star Strike (Inheritance Trilogy #1)

3.76 of 5 stars 3.76  ·  rating details  ·  656 ratings  ·  20 reviews
Planet by planet, galaxy by galaxy, the inhabited universe has fallen to the alien Xul.

Now only one obstacle stands between them and total domination: the warriors of a resilient race the world-devourers nearly annihilated centuries ago . . .

A power vast, ancient, and terrifying, the mighty Xul have lost track of the insignificant humans hundreds of years after devastating...more
Published October 13th 2009 by HarperCollins e-books (first published 2008)

Miki Habryn
This is *terrible*. Unless you happen to be a Marine Corps/Space Opera crossover fan-person, which I'm really not. I've seen Mr. Men books with better character development. The technology is unconvincing, the political premises are bizarre, and, frankly, it could do with some editing. But when you run out of all other space opera...
Becky
A thousand years or so in the future, humanity has spread out among the stars. Protecting the Commonwealth (basically a future version of America) are the United Star Marines. Star Strike follows the stories of a General, a war-weary combat veteran, and a new recruit as they are called to defend humanity from an old enemy. The xenophobic Xul nearly annihilated Earth the last time they visited. Now they're back to finish the job. Can the Marines take the fight to the Xul? Or will the Corps' 1103...more
Marc
This was probably my first hard sci-fi book I've ever read. As such, I didn't really care for that aspect of it. There was a lot of info dumping and while I like science, even it went over my head at times, not to mention slowed the story down.

The real problem I had with this book was that I didn't read or even know that there were two other trilogies that preceded it. My fault really. Ian Douglas did a good job at telling what happened before without bogging things down so I was able to easily...more
Chidi Okonkwo
I've been a fan of Ian Douglas for quite a while. Found his work at a local Borders and I bought his entire Legacy Trilogy. I loved it. Found it every intriguing, as a fan of sci fi that enjoys works that are more hardcore than StarWars.
I think it was the shock factor of actually "devastating" earth [go read it for the true details] that magnetized me to his previous work, and I was also drawn to the futuristic theme interwoven into the combat suits, small cylindrical Marine drop-pods, battle sp...more
Andreas
This is the first book in the third trilogy about US Marines. The story jumps ahead about half a millenium. The Xul still threaten humankind, but have been quiescent since the events of Star Marines. As per usual, the Marines are hindered by a misguided politician, then proceed to save the day and win a great victory. There is the usual boot camp training sequence with a new scion of the Garroway line.

While the plots are becoming somewhat formulaic, these novels are still of high quality. The ac...more
Tufty McTavish
I liked the last 20% of this one. Early on it's a Marine boot-camp and delves into the early history of the Marines. Later it deals with Marine politics which was extremely irritating to be force-fed like that. Mixed with this it's Marine ooh-ra chest-thumping, also extremely irritating to read. Occasionally in that first 4/5ths it delves into the story background but it's a rapid-fire data dump of several hundred years of activity to get to the present day scenario. FINALLY it gets interesting...more
Diane
This sounded so good, but after only a few chapters my eyes glazed over. I didn't follow what was going on. There was a lot of terminology being thrown around as if I should already know. Different scenes, different planets. I didn't even understand who the Kul were. It wasn't illuminated during that brief prologue.

This COULD be because, this is the 3rd trilogy of the same topic. I was under the impression that they were mutually exclusive, but maybe not so much because I was totally lost. That...more
Locked Out
Ugh, I just dont know what to start with on this one. Think of a train wreck and that even then barely covers it. Dont get me wrong, im all for Sci-fi and stuff, but this just didnt work in my opinion. Apparently in the future no one cares to get injured because its near impossible to die, everyone is dull and lifeless even in combat situations, and to top it all off this book feels like a rough copy of Feed. The pacing is awfully slow and feels disjointed in alot of places. Do yourself a favor,...more
Krishna
After all the buildup about how fierce the xul are and their destructive capability the end was a bit anticlimactic.why are the names of ships always from the 20th century it's been a millennium haven't there been anymore heroes or notable personalities to names ships and operations after?.The Islamophobia was extreme,every facet of human society has changed but Muslims are the same stereotypical intolerant selves?.I won't be reading anymore of the series.
Doc
Short review: I can't wait for the next book in the series.

Longer: If you like military science fiction - the commitment to the corps, military concepts and tradition, space war, all the rest - then this is for you. Well defined characters, believable science, and non-stop action. I like it!
Zachary Wagoner
Another great book by Ian Douglas. And a great continuation of the previous two series. The military action is spot on and the political games are just as fun to read. His universe has always been a great place to explore and will be picking up the next two books as soon as I can.
Roy
Only read the first few chapters of this book before tossing it. Take cliche marine stereotypes, pair with space suits, and throw in a few elements from old spy thrillers, particularly borderline sexism.
Steve
Picks-up 800 years after the previous trilogies.

Also a good read (lots of action and interesting speculation on how technology will affect humanity), but feels more recycled than the second trilogy.
Robert Giambo
Excellent author in the Genre (Marines in space). Interesting underlying premise: Xenophobic aliens that routinely wipe out intelligent live reaching a certain technological level.
Thomas
Very interesting book. Fairly well written. Takes a few chapters to get involved in the story line, but once you get past that, it's a rather pleasant read.
Joe D.
I like military scifi and this was pretty good. It was a bit slow to get to the action, but good enough for me to read the rest....
Caspur
A rather enjoyable book.
Orion
Stars are not projectiles...
James Shaw
James Shaw marked it as to-read
Apr 19, 2014
Dennis
Dennis marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2014
Johnny
Johnny marked it as to-read
Matt Dungan
Matt Dungan marked it as to-read
Stormytiggs
Stormytiggs marked it as to-read
Jeremy Garnett
Jeremy Garnett marked it as to-read
Apr 14, 2014
  • Blood Contact (Starfist, #4)
  • The Battle at the Moons of Hell (Helfort's War, #1)
  • Manxome Foe (Looking Glass, #3)
  • Exodus (Starfire, #5)
  • The Shiva Option (Starfire, #4)
  • Battle Station (Star Force, #5)
  • The First Casualty (Jump Universe, #1)
  • One Day on Mars
Earth Strike (Star Carrier, #1) Center of Gravity (Star Carrier, #2) Semper Mars (Heritage Trilogy, #1) Singularity (Star Carrier, #3) Star Corps (The Legacy Trilogy, #1)