Start by marking “Long Knife” as Want to Read:
Long Knife

Long Knife

Two centuries ago, with the support of the young Revolutionary government, George Robers Clark led a small but fierce army west from Virigina to conquer all the territory between the Ohio and Mississippi Rivers. Here is the adventure, the romance, the struggle, and the betrayal of his life. Rich in the heroic characters, meticulously researched detail and grand scale that ...more
Published August 18th 2010 by Ballantine Books (first published 1979)

To ask other readers questions about Long Knife, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Long Knife

Mary JL
Dec 06, 2012 Mary JL rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of Historical Fiction and History
Shelves: fiction-classics
This is an excellent, well-written and enjoyable historical novel. It tells of the years from 1777 to 1779, when George Rogers Clark played a pivotal role in defending the norwestern Colonies during the Revolutionary War.

While the battles were going on along the Atlantic Coast, the British were also trying to gain a foothold in the NorthWest Territories. They had forts in Detroit, in Kaskaskia,Illinois and Vincennes, Indiana. Of course, these were not states then--they were all together referred
Robert Melton
Mar 02, 2016 Robert Melton rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Covered history

GRC a great soldier so mistreated by government, it could be a story written today. Enjoy some real history now.
Amy
Jan 04, 2010 Amy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fascinating! This is a good read about a very inspiring hero. I had never given much thought to this part of American History. Great fictional love story mixed in with the true stuff too.
Amber
Apr 02, 2009 Amber rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I learned that there are so many more poeple in our history than what we learned about in school. George Rogers Clark is the older brother of William Clark of the Lewis and Clark expedition.
Kelly
May 28, 2012 Kelly rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of historical fiction, history buffs, anyone
Recommended to Kelly by: Read author's other books
AMAZING! I don't know which order you should read these books in...but I read 'From Sea To Shining Sea' first and completely fell in love with the history, the Rogers Clark family, etc. and was so saddened when the book ended. I was so affected by that book that I wrote the author, himself, to tell him what a wonderful piece of work I thought 'From Sea To Shining Sea' was. The author informed me that this book was not the end of the story. He had also written 'Long Knife' which fills in a lot of ...more
Suzanna
Dec 06, 2008 Suzanna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
While Thom has written other books I enjoyed more, this book was informational and interesting throughout. I actually read this some years ago and had forgotten much of it, but this time I took more time to absorb some of the details that I often would let slide, such as battle plans, details in the execusion, and dates and locations of some of the minutia.

For the most part, this is a war story and sort of a "guy" book in many ways; I would say most of Thom's novels have a certain quality I thi
patricia
Aug 28, 2015 patricia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was a detailed account of the fight, after the Civil War, for the lands controlled by the British. Kentucky, Illinois, Ohio. British paid/bribed different tribes of the American Indians to murder and capture settlers. Clark led a small army of backwoods fighters to take the land from the British. The history of the battles and Clark's successes with this small army of determined men is amazing. Brutal detail.
Carol
Jan 19, 2009 Carol rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
As a fan of James Alexander Thom's historical novels, this reader very much enjoyed the journey of this novel based on the life of George Rogers Clark, the older brother of the more famous William Clark of the Lewis and Clark expedition. GR Clark is actually famous in his own right, for his accomplishments keeping peace with the Indians in parts of the old Northwest Territory, present-day Illinois.

I like the fact that Thom uses primary sources in his research and as a skeleton for his story. Th
Helen Angle
Sep 28, 2015 Helen Angle rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This story reiterates what I heard as a boy growing up along the w

Wabash and Embarass rivers and exploring the raw country aforementioned. A great history novel and learning tool

Larry angle

Thank you.

Debbie toyoshima
Another Historical book, though some liberties were taken on what happened with the relationship between Clark and his Spaniard fiancé. This book spans over George Rogers Clark lifetime. Yes, this is the older brother of the other Clark of Lewis and Clark. I read the book "Sacajawea" last year also, which was about her life and involvement with the expedition of Lewis and Clark. Another excellent read which I encourage anyone to read. It is currently my all-time favorite book next to "Agony And ...more
FLOYD KNOWLTON
Jul 06, 2016 FLOYD KNOWLTON rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent read.

Very accurate and sensitive to the facts of the day but also very moving and exciting. I would recommend this book to anyone with an interest in this time period.
Jim Philpot
Apr 29, 2016 Jim Philpot rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Historical Reality

A great American story superbly describing life on the frontier and George Clark's heroic leadership as a military commander and his place in our country's beginning. It's an exciting tale.
Donn Hall
Jan 19, 2016 Donn Hall rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Mr. Thom is a master at his craft.

Mr. Thom has written a magical story of hardship, loyalty, love and bitter betrayal. He has given us a story to learn from and remember.
Rob Saunders
Apr 27, 2015 Rob Saunders rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely superb.
Bonnie
Sep 10, 2014 Bonnie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love history and this book had particular appeal to me. It is the story of General George Rogers Clark and his small group of about 150 volunteers in the Revolutionary War. They undertook the task to march from Virginia to Ft Vincennes in Illinois. Their trials and victories are written in a compelling story. It is an enjoyable weaving of fact and fiction. Knowing that my 4th GG Father was one of the men under General Clark made it doubly meaningful to me.
Phyllis
Aug 19, 2015 Phyllis rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
Great book, but sad.
Amy Cullen
Dec 21, 2014 Amy Cullen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book! I read From Sea to Shining Sea first, and I'm glad I read them in that order. I am eager to read other books by this author, as he is not only an amazingly gifted storyteller, but a conscientious historian as well. Read both books on my kindle, but am definitely going to search for the hardcover copies, as I will want to add them to my library. I highly recommend them to anyone who loves history!
Judy
Mar 12, 2009 Judy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The story of George Rogers Clark, a soldier from Virginia and the highest ranking American military officer on the northwestern frontier during the American Revolutionary War. He served as leader of the Kentucky militia, he was the larger-then-life brother of William Clark (Lewis & Clark Expedition). Once again, James Alexander Thom breathes life into a long dead but important personality from Americas past.
Marcia
Jun 13, 2014 Marcia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: more-like-this
This author does a great job of bringing history to life.
Lara
Sep 08, 2009 Lara rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love James Alexander Thom's historical fiction. He is so detailed in his American history. "Long Knife" was about George Clark, older brother of William Clark of 'Lewis and Clark', who founded Kentucky and fought the Midwest out of the British's hands. George Clark was a true American patriot, who died unappreciated, unrecognized, and impoverished. Really excellent account.
Linda Wulf
Oct 07, 2012 Linda Wulf rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great story, although sometimes overly descriptive, especially about George Rogers Clark himself. But I love this author, personally and professionally. I could talk to him for hours, and was lucky enough to be in a writing seminar taught by him several years ago. Afterwards, we all went out to dinner. It was one of the seminal days in my writing years.
Mitzi
May 10, 2013 Mitzi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the first James Alexander Thom book I've read, but it will NOT be the last. I loved every minute of it - writing that is very engaging, along with the very real (if not very well known) history that he is writing about - it makes for a killer combination. Do yourself a favor and pick this one up, you won't regret it!
Becky
Feb 27, 2013 Becky rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of the best historical novels I have ever read! George Rogers Clark was a real hero who suffered intensely for his country, and for the most part without pay until the end of his life. His tragic romance with Teresa de Leyba touched me so much. I would like to read more of Thom's books if they are like this one.
Kelly
Sep 14, 2007 Kelly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: westerns
This is the full story of the life of George Rogers Clark, the "father of Kentucky." This book is good, but depressing, as GRC got royally screwed by the government and died an alcoholic pauper. As with all of Jim Thom's books, the research is meticulous.
Anne
Sep 05, 2012 Anne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Historical fiction about George Rogers Clark. 18th century frontier setting. Captivating mix of description that doesn't feel like dread, and dialogue. Great read.
Donna
Aug 30, 2011 Donna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This seems to be fairly accurate account of the life of George Rogers Clark brother of William Clark of Lewis and Clark fame. I love historical fiction.
Cliff
Aug 04, 2010 Cliff rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Engaging historical novel on the life of Revolutionary War hero General George Rogers Clark (elder brother of William Clark, of Lewis & Clark Expedition fame)
Richard May
Jan 01, 2015 Richard May rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Slow reading at times, but an incredible story! Awesome soldier, leader, patriot! Fantastic book for anyone who enjoys historical fiction.
Jamie
Sep 17, 2008 Jamie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
excellent historical fiction dealing with the time when the vast majority of the middle of the us was being established and what they went through
Frank Dupree
Feb 08, 2013 Frank Dupree rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of my most favorite books! This tells the story of George Rogers Clarke and his amazing journey during our Revolutionary period.
American Historic...: Long Knife By James Alexander Thom 4 40 May 14, 2013 05:36AM
  • Prairie
  • Gateway to Empire
  • The Bride of the Wilderness (Paul Christopher #6)
  • Song of Years
  • Borderlords
  • Oh, Kentucky!
  • Hannah Fowler (Kentuckians, #2)
  • Arundel
  • The World From Rough Stones
  • A Rocky Mountain Christmas (Christmas, #2)
  • Pocahontas
  • Theirs Was the Kingdom (Swann Saga, #2)
  • Savage Wilderness
  • The Vines of Yarrabee
  • Creek Mary's Blood
  • The World, the Flesh and the Devil
James Alexander Thom (born 1933) is an American author, most famous for his works in the Western genre. Born in Gosport, Indiana, he graduated from Butler University and served in the United States Marine Corps. He is a former professor of journalism at Indiana University, and a contributor to the The Saturday Evening Post. His fifth wife, Dark Rain Thom was a member of the Shawnee United Remnant ...more
More about James Alexander Thom...