Start by marking “What's Right with Islam: A New Vision for Muslims and the West” as Want to Read:
What's Right with Islam: A New Vision for Muslims and the West

What's Right with Islam: A New Vision for Muslims and the West

An American imam offers answers for today's toughest questions about Islam, and a vision for a reconciliation between Islam and the West.

One of the pressing questions of our time is what went wrong in the relationship between Muslims and the West. Continuing global violence in the name of Islam reflects the deepest fears by certain Muslim factions of Western political, cul
Published October 13th 2009 by HarperOne (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about What's Right with Islam, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about What's Right with Islam

Elias
Aug 20, 2010 Elias rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I give this 4 stars not because the book is especially well written or insightful in itself but because it helps to understand the thinking of the main sponsor of the controversial Islamic Center in Lower Manhattan. Imam Rauf presents the views of a man passionately committed to dialog between America and the Muslim world. He is idealistic (some might say naive), but it's hard to question the sincerity of his commitment.

One issue I have is that on the one hand he emphasizes that the Abrahamic fa
Sylvia
To moderate muslims, the idea generated by Imam Feisal Abdul Rauf is not exactly new. The fact that the US constitution and Al-Quran have similar values are something familiar to those who cares enough to find out what goes wrong in the practice of both values so the world now recognize the US as Islam's greatest nemesis and vice versa. However, this book is so well researched it might also encourage those the non-believers of the possibility that Islam and the US will one day reach a peace sett ...more
Grace
Really interesting book with excellent insights for non-Muslims and Muslims alike.

I've always felt a frustration with the way "Westerners" believed that Muslims are incapable of ever being "Western" and Islam is fundamentally opposed to "Western" values. Abdul Rauf makes the most cogent comment at one point that this view is falsely pitting a region against a religion. He shows how Islam is an Abrahamic religion with the same ethical values as Judaism or Christianity. I have to say that I think
Hashim El-Tinay
Imam Feisal Abdul Rauf, an American citizen and a native of Egypt, shared clearly his perspective on what he believes is right with Islam and what is wright with America.

A good contribution to interfaith dialogue and the on going conversation on America, Islam and the West.

I recommend it to all those interested in this area.
tina
Mar 06, 2007 tina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Americans & Christians & Jews
I learned about God & America & how democratic capitalism fulfills the Abrahamic ethic to love one's neighbor as oneself.
Simcha Wood
What's Right with Islam is an interesting and important book, but is also a book which unfortunately suffers from its attempts to cover a lot of different aspects of the relationship between Islam and the West (and, more specifically sometimes, Islam and secularized modernity), sacrificing depth in favor of breadth.

Feisal Abdul Rauf's book is arguably three separate books rolled into one:

1. An apologetics for Islam.
2. An argument for the compatibility of Islam with the other Abrahamic faiths an
Ifreet_Mohamed
Another reviewer called this book "fluffy" and he is correct as it is a little too feel good. I am impressed with the individualism of Rauf but his brand of Islam is tending towards the relativist and seems to make Islam into nothing more than a form of gnosticism.

His stated principles of openness, inter-Faith, and re-assertion of the ethic of want for your neighbor what you want for yourself are a part and parcel of the Islamic tradition but must be pursued without diluting the differences and
Chris Miles
Mar 11, 2016 Chris Miles rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An excellent analysis of major issues in the world today and ideas on possible peaceful solutions.
Ellen Keim
Nov 12, 2010 Ellen Keim rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: religion
Imam Rauf is the main person behind Park51, formerly known as the Cordoba House, and erroneously known as the mosque at Ground Zero. He has come under fire for his supposed support of terrorism. Those who hold this view as well as anyone interested in what one Muslim leader has to say about Islam and the West, should read this book. I liked the book so much I bought it and I plan to refer to it when I write posts for my blog and as I grow as a Muslim. Rauf is an intelligent and thoughtful writer ...more
Naomi
Jul 15, 2013 Naomi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Terrific, and just as relevant (unfortunately) in 2013 as in 2005 when it was published, Imam Feisal Abdul Rauf presents his faithful understanding of Islam and the best of American traditions and promises. His recommendations for action seeking understanding, building peace, and honoring our different gifts is particularly excellent, for their practicability and because they summarize well his imagining and solutions that would create a more tolerant and peaceful world. Recommended for small gr ...more
pshurst
Written by the Imam of the controversial Cordoba House (aka "Ground Zero Mosque") the book pleads for Jews, Christians and Muslims to put aside their differences and work together, as members of the Abrahamic faith, to make the world a better place.
I started this book to better understand Imam Feisal Abdul Rauf's ideology. This book and his moderate views make me even more passionate about our need to reach out to America's moderate Muslims.
Genie McFate
Jun 10, 2011 Genie McFate added it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone with questions about Islam
Recommended to Genie by: Newspaper
Shelves: nonfiction, religion
I live in a community where many of my neighbors are Muslim. I'm also very curious about different religions and what commonalities they share. This book provides an excellent explanation of the how Islam, Christian and Judaism intersect.It also answered a lot of questions I had about Islam, too, in regards to women. Rauf does an excellent job at explaining what originated from the Quaran and what originated from an area's culture.
Carol
Aug 25, 2011 Carol rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great discussion and analysis of what Islam is and what it is not. Islam is so closely aligned to to our Western religions--belief in one God and unbending love of that God and do not do to others what you would not have them do to you. Democracy, good deeds, and religious tolerence. Islam is not an alien religion. We have just made it alien because the bad guys have co-opted Islam for their own use. Resist.
Jonathan
His account of western history is awful, but who cares? The underlying message is not thereby diminished. This would have been better if a shorter work could have offered comparable prestige.
Aspasia
May 16, 2010 Aspasia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Rauf is an imam in the US. He gives the average American reader an education in Muslim/Islamic and American history and how the histories of the US and Middle East converge.
Cameron Powers
May 08, 2009 Cameron Powers rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Written to answer popular demand after 9/11, a New York-based Islamic Imam compares cultures and religions: Indo-Europeans are "nouns" and Arabs are "verbs."
Chris
Mar 01, 2008 Chris rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
A little dissappointing. Perhaps this is a better book for those who are new to Islam or interested in learning more, but I felt it was a little too 'fluffy'.
Aaminah Shakur
Feb 11, 2012 Aaminah Shakur rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good primer for non-Muslims who want to understand Islam, and for Muslims who are challenged by modernity and trying to figure out balance.
Hashim El-Tinay
A must read for anyone interested in bridging the gap between Jews, Christians, Muslims and other people of faith.
Arif nur
Oct 27, 2008 Arif nur rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Buku keren... aku dapat versi Bahasa Indonesianya...dan lumayan dapet juga tanda tangan imam feisalnya langsung
Brent
Jul 09, 2011 Brent rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very good book, well written. Touched on some similarities between Islam and Christianity.
Tuah Pengembara
Oct 19, 2014 Tuah Pengembara rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A Good Book..trying to give a clear defination of Islam especially in America.
Daughters Of Abraham
A look at the ways that Islam and American democracy meet philosophically.
Thalhah Fakhrizal
Aug 23, 2007 Thalhah Fakhrizal rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: religion
Baik utk meluruskan persepsi negatif tentang Islam
CT Holway
CT Holway rated it it was amazing
Sep 23, 2016
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Sep 21, 2016
Allison Vousden
Allison Vousden marked it as to-read
Sep 16, 2016
Kimberley
Kimberley marked it as to-read
Sep 12, 2016
  • The Hadj: An American's Pilgrimage to Mecca
  • American Islam: The Struggle for the Soul of a Religion
  • Military Inc.: Inside Pakistan's Military Economy
  • Engaging the Muslim World
  • I Speak for Myself: American Women on Being Muslim
  • The Great Theft: Wrestling Islam from the Extremists
  • The Bridge Betrayed: Religion and Genocide in Bosnia
  • Treacherous Alliance: The Secret Dealings of Israel, Iran, and the United States
  • The Muslim Discovery of Europe
  • Good Muslim, Bad Muslim: America, the Cold War, and the Roots of Terror
  • Topi Shukla
  • Blood and Politics: The History of the White Nationalist Movement from the Margins to the Mainstream
  • From the Shadows: The Ultimate Insider's Story of Five Presidents and How They Won the Cold War
  • The Story of the Qur'an: Its History and Place in Muslim Life
  • My Country My Life
  • On the Grand Trunk Road
  • The Duel: Pakistan on the Flight Path of American Power
  • Homebody/Kabul
Imam Feisal is Chairman of the Cordoba Initiative, an organization that brings together leaders across the Muslim-West divide to speak out for innovative, proactive, and positive solutions to shared challenges. In this capacity, Cordoba Initiative can provide novel solutions to those areas where conflict between Islamic and Western communities undermine local and global security.

In 1997, Imam Feis
More about Feisal Abdul Rauf...