Start by marking “What's Right with Islam: A New Vision for Muslims and the West” as Want to Read:
What's Right with Islam: A New Vision for Muslims and the West

What's Right with Islam: A New Vision for Muslims and the West

3.84 of 5 stars 3.84  ·  rating details  ·  124 ratings  ·  24 reviews
An American imam offers answers for today's toughest questions about Islam, and a vision for a reconciliation between Islam and the West.

One of the pressing questions of our time is what went wrong in the relationship between Muslims and the West. Continuing global violence in the name of Islam reflects the deepest fears by certain Muslim factions of Western political, cul
Published October 13th 2009 by HarperCollins e-books (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about What's Right with Islam, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about What's Right with Islam

Elias
I give this 4 stars not because the book is especially well written or insightful in itself but because it helps to understand the thinking of the main sponsor of the controversial Islamic Center in Lower Manhattan. Imam Rauf presents the views of a man passionately committed to dialog between America and the Muslim world. He is idealistic (some might say naive), but it's hard to question the sincerity of his commitment.

One issue I have is that on the one hand he emphasizes that the Abrahamic fa
Sylvia
To moderate muslims, the idea generated by Imam Feisal Abdul Rauf is not exactly new. The fact that the US constitution and Al-Quran have similar values are something familiar to those who cares enough to find out what goes wrong in the practice of both values so the world now recognize the US as Islam's greatest nemesis and vice versa. However, this book is so well researched it might also encourage those the non-believers of the possibility that Islam and the US will one day reach a peace sett ...more
Hashim El-Tinay
Imam Feisal Abdul Rauf, an American citizen and a native of Egypt, shared clearly his perspective on what he believes is right with Islam and what is wright with America.

A good contribution to interfaith dialogue and the on going conversation on America, Islam and the West.

I recommend it to all those interested in this area.
tina
Mar 06, 2007 tina rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Americans & Christians & Jews
I learned about God & America & how democratic capitalism fulfills the Abrahamic ethic to love one's neighbor as oneself.
Simcha Wood
What's Right with Islam is an interesting and important book, but is also a book which unfortunately suffers from its attempts to cover a lot of different aspects of the relationship between Islam and the West (and, more specifically sometimes, Islam and secularized modernity), sacrificing depth in favor of breadth.

Feisal Abdul Rauf's book is arguably three separate books rolled into one:

1. An apologetics for Islam.
2. An argument for the compatibility of Islam with the other Abrahamic faiths an
Ifreet_Mohamed
Another reviewer called this book "fluffy" and he is correct as it is a little too feel good. I am impressed with the individualism of Rauf but his brand of Islam is tending towards the relativist and seems to make Islam into nothing more than a form of gnosticism.

His stated principles of openness, inter-Faith, and re-assertion of the ethic of want for your neighbor what you want for yourself are a part and parcel of the Islamic tradition but must be pursued without diluting the differences and
Ellen Keim
Imam Rauf is the main person behind Park51, formerly known as the Cordoba House, and erroneously known as the mosque at Ground Zero. He has come under fire for his supposed support of terrorism. Those who hold this view as well as anyone interested in what one Muslim leader has to say about Islam and the West, should read this book. I liked the book so much I bought it and I plan to refer to it when I write posts for my blog and as I grow as a Muslim. Rauf is an intelligent and thoughtful writer ...more
Naomi
Terrific, and just as relevant (unfortunately) in 2013 as in 2005 when it was published, Imam Feisal Abdul Rauf presents his faithful understanding of Islam and the best of American traditions and promises. His recommendations for action seeking understanding, building peace, and honoring our different gifts is particularly excellent, for their practicability and because they summarize well his imagining and solutions that would create a more tolerant and peaceful world. Recommended for small gr ...more
pshurst
Written by the Imam of the controversial Cordoba House (aka "Ground Zero Mosque") the book pleads for Jews, Christians and Muslims to put aside their differences and work together, as members of the Abrahamic faith, to make the world a better place.
I started this book to better understand Imam Feisal Abdul Rauf's ideology. This book and his moderate views make me even more passionate about our need to reach out to America's moderate Muslims.
Louise  Dunlap
Jun 10, 2011 Louise Dunlap added it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone with questions about Islam
Recommended to Louise by: Newspaper
Shelves: nonfiction, religion
I live in a community where many of my neighbors are Muslim. I'm also very curious about different religions and what commonalities they share. This book provides an excellent explanation of the how Islam, Christian and Judaism intersect.It also answered a lot of questions I had about Islam, too, in regards to women. Rauf does an excellent job at explaining what originated from the Quaran and what originated from an area's culture.
Carol
A great discussion and analysis of what Islam is and what it is not. Islam is so closely aligned to to our Western religions--belief in one God and unbending love of that God and do not do to others what you would not have them do to you. Democracy, good deeds, and religious tolerence. Islam is not an alien religion. We have just made it alien because the bad guys have co-opted Islam for their own use. Resist.
Jonathan
His account of western history is awful, but who cares? The underlying message is not thereby diminished. This would have been better if a shorter work could have offered comparable prestige.
Aspasia
Rauf is an imam in the US. He gives the average American reader an education in Muslim/Islamic and American history and how the histories of the US and Middle East converge.
Cameron Powers
Written to answer popular demand after 9/11, a New York-based Islamic Imam compares cultures and religions: Indo-Europeans are "nouns" and Arabs are "verbs."
Chris
A little dissappointing. Perhaps this is a better book for those who are new to Islam or interested in learning more, but I felt it was a little too 'fluffy'.
Aaminah Shakur
A good primer for non-Muslims who want to understand Islam, and for Muslims who are challenged by modernity and trying to figure out balance.
Hashim El-Tinay
A must read for anyone interested in bridging the gap between Jews, Christians, Muslims and other people of faith.
Arif nur
Buku keren... aku dapat versi Bahasa Indonesianya...dan lumayan dapet juga tanda tangan imam feisalnya langsung
Brent
Very good book, well written. Touched on some similarities between Islam and Christianity.
Tuah Pengembara
A Good Book..trying to give a clear defination of Islam especially in America.
Daughters Of Abraham
A look at the ways that Islam and American democracy meet philosophically.
Thalhah Fakhrizal
Baik utk meluruskan persepsi negatif tentang Islam
Sonia Elsefary
Sonia Elsefary marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2015
Amine  The First
Amine The First marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2015
HIFZS
HIFZS marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2015
Cindy
Cindy marked it as to-read
Jul 04, 2015
Rhonda Pickens
Rhonda Pickens marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2015
  • The Great Theft: Wrestling Islam from the Extremists
  • The Hadj: An American's Pilgrimage to Mecca
  • Engaging the Muslim World
  • The Muslim Discovery of Europe
  • American Islam: The Struggle for the Soul of a Religion
  • Treacherous Alliance: The Secret Dealings of Israel, Iran, and the United States
  • Military Inc.: Inside Pakistan's Military Economy
  • I Speak for Myself: American Women on Being Muslim
  • Good Muslim, Bad Muslim: America, the Cold War, and the Roots of Terror
  • From the Shadows: The Ultimate Insider's Story of Five Presidents and How They Won the Cold War
  • نساء عظيمات من العالم الإسلامي
  • On the Grand Trunk Road
  • The Punishment of Virtue: Inside Afghanistan After the Taliban
  • Blood and Politics: The History of the White Nationalist Movement from the Margins to the Mainstream
  • Homebody/Kabul
  • The Complete Idiot's Guide to Understanding Islam
  • The Duel: Pakistan on the Flight Path of American Power
  • The Ottoman Empire, 1700-1922 (New Approaches to European History)
Imam Feisal is Chairman of the Cordoba Initiative, an organization that brings together leaders across the Muslim-West divide to speak out for innovative, proactive, and positive solutions to shared challenges. In this capacity, Cordoba Initiative can provide novel solutions to those areas where conflict between Islamic and Western communities undermine local and global security.

In 1997, Imam Feis
More about Feisal Abdul Rauf...
Moving the Mountain: Beyond Ground Zero to a New Vision of Islam in America What's Right with Islam: A New Vision for Muslims and the West Seruan Azan Dari Puing WTC: Dakwah Islam di Jantung Amerika Pasca 9/11 Quran for Children Islam, a Sacred Law: What Every Muslim Should Know about the Shari'ah