The Itsy Bitsy Spider

The Itsy Bitsy Spider

3.95 of 5 stars 3.95  ·  rating details  ·  569 ratings  ·  57 reviews
Board book edition. The spirited and irresistible itsy bitsy spider has captured the hearts of generations of children by climbing up that water spout. Now she's back--on a new magical journey!
This all-new itsy bitsy spider has exciting encounters with a fan, a mouse, a rocking chair, a cat and a big maple tree. Finally, the itsy bitsy spider finds a lovely spot to rest a...more
Board Book, 26 pages
Published September 1st 1998 by Charlesbridge Publishing (first published 1993)

Sheila
I thought my daughter would enjoy this book more than she did. For some reason, even though this is a classic sing-along, act-along song, this was not one of her favorites. It usually ended up on the bottom of a pile, with some other book selected by her for reading.
Jackie Douthat
For young children I really like using picture books along with nursery rhymes. Sometimes it's because I can't remember all the words to the different songs but it also gives the young students something to look at and touch as I read/sing them out loud.
Sarah Davis
Ther book beings just like the song about the spider going up the spout. Once the spider climbs back up the spout we see the spider climb up the kitchen wall and then the spider is blowen off the wall by a fan. After the spider climbs up a wall we see the spider climb up a yellow pail and then a mouse came and knocked the spider off with his tail and he ran out the door. The spider climbs backup the yellow pail. We then see the spider climbing up the rocking chair out on the front pourch. The ca...more
Anna Bueller
This was a great background about the spider that appeared on page 197 of The Chosen by Chaim Potok. I always wanted to know the back story of that spider that symbolized Danny's fears and dreams colliding into one big monster that could eat him whole. It's amazing how determined that little spider was. Of course this is a spider worthy of being in the company of our precious baseball Jews. It is the chosen arachnid.
Liesl Hawkins
I loved that this book had new verses to the song "Itsy Bitsy Spider." It was very creative and the illustrations were beautiful. The book was really fun. Also, I usually don't like hearing about spiders, but the way this book was written was fun and cute so I didn't have a problem with it. I think it would be really fun for children to read and practice singing the new verses to.
Madison
We all know the "itsy bitsy spider" song. This book is full of fun illustrations that bring the song to life. But it doesn't stop there! My favorite part about this book is that it adds on lines and verses to the song that none of us know.
Kristy Breese
What? This book is an extension of the traditional nursery song, "The Itsy, Bitsy Spider". The spider encounters different adventures throughout the book. The spider not only climbs up the waterspout, but also a kitchen wall, a yellow pail, rocking chair, and a maple tree where the spider spun his web to relax in the sun.

So What? Children will love the cute illustrations and another version of the song.

Now What? Students will enjoy creating their own spider spun web. I will supply the students w...more
Arsenio Richardson
Just from the title alone I was very curious about this book. The shape and size made me like it even more. The value of the illustration was very good it was never too dark and the sharpness was right on point. The author did an excellent job using great spacing and texture. I thought the colors and pictures were perfect because the colors were so smooth and the pictures very graceful. I received the feeling that the wind was blowing me along on a beautiful summer day. Also, with that the text...more
Taya
Sep 23, 2009 Taya rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: pbgs-1
This book took a wonderful twist on the classic children's song. It added a complete six total verses to the original tune which gave the story a very completed feeling. The font was very formal and bland, which downplayed the sing-songy attitude that took place when the story was read. One of the most educational features about this text was that it included the written music for a piano so that the story could then be sung with the various verses. This is a great way to integrate a song, a sto...more
Candice
Dec 18, 2011 Candice rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents of young children
Shelves: books-for-kids
In an effort to streamline our book collection, my kids and I have taken on the task of re-reading every book and reviewing deciding if they are keepers. Hoping to get rid of some of those "junk books" and ones that just aren't ever loved. That said, this is a book, I will keep despite my kids growing up. I just love reading it to them. The illustrations are just beautiful. I love all of Isa's work. The story itself expands on the Itsy Bitsy Spider and is quite cute, but the pictures are what ma...more
Pam
This book is great, with it's extra verses...but what really special is when C and Daddy do all the "dance" moves while Mommy sings the lines. Fun night. :)
Kim
Jul 26, 2011 Kim rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: laptime
I love Iza! Love songs made into books, love extra verses of songs so that you really get bang for your buck, love her watercolors. I use her stuff at the library all the time and my 2 year old niece checks out a different book from her every time we go, her favorite is Baa Baa Black Sheep, but she sings along with all the verses on this one too!
James Vickery
A spider tries to make it to the top of something everyday to make her web. Several times the spider is defeated from her goal. The book uses rhyming skills throughout that is very helpful to young children. The book teachers that children should follow their dreams and to not give up on their goals. At the end of the story, the spider finally makes a web.
Vivian
There are plenty of story book adaptations of this popular finger-play song. This one adds lots of verses. The spider climbs up the kitchen wall and "Swoosh!" goes the fan and makes the spider fall, etc., etc., etc.
There are plenty of opportunities for children to hear rhyming words in this extended version with special features. :)
dee
I am still reading about spiders but this one is too cute. The illustrator used a very cool technique. Some parts of the pictures are actually glossy so it really gives it a rich feel. A lot of new verses and so enjoyable. My favorite part was when he finally rested in the sun. His web looks really inviting. Watch out you fly guys.
Kelly Thevenot
The Itsy Bitsy Spider is a great book to read to younger children. It is based off of the popular childrens song the itsy bitsy spider. In this book they use other things that the spider climbs up. This would be a great book to have young children use their imaginations and have their own spider and change the words to the song.
Samantha Penrose
I hate spiders, even cute little water color ones, but I have to admit that this book has beautiful illustrations.
It also features 5 verses that I had never heard before.
This itsy bitsy spider in this book is a very persistant little guy...but it pays off in the end.
This version of the story/song is worth checking out.
June
Jun 08, 2014 June rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Itsy Bitsy Spider fans
Shelves: spider, storytime
I thought this might work in my young lap time, but it seemed a bit long despite playing the song first & all the rhyming. (I was working on the repetition is good principle.) 6/6/12

Worked better at PJ Story Time, but still a bit long. 5/21/13

Used in Story Time, not their favorite, but okay.
Kathryn Joyce
A rhyming book that has the classic tune of "Itsy Bitsy Spider" but also shares spider facts about their life and webs. This would be used in a lesson regarding spiders, but explained to the students' it is also a story. I would use this to integrate science into literature.
Adrienne
I like how there are additional verses to the Itsy-Bitsy spider. Very catchy and lots of fun.
Chelsea Bucci
This book could be used as science poetry. Although it is a children's nursery rhyme, it explains how spiders live in webs (habitats). This could be used to teach younger students about different animals. It could also be integrated into a literacy lesson.
midnightfaerie
My twin 3 yr old's loved it. Colorful fun pictures that helps get the child engaged and keeps them engaged. The illustrations were fun and colorful, a unique twist on an old favorite. A great addition to any children's library.
Kim
Ours was not a board book, however we loved the soft pastel illustrations and the additional verses of this well known rhyme. The spider was portrayed in a friendly manner which helped my daughter who had some fear of them.
Olivia Rowley
This book is a well known nursery rhyme. I have heard it many times in my life but I never heard past the first verse. This book is very creative and fun. It would be a great book to read to your children.
Rob
An expansion (not a retelling as the back of the book suggests) of the classic nursery rhyme. You get what you expect—a tale of perseverance. Though I could have done without the "cute" sunglasses at the end.
Columbus
I love this nursery rhyme and remember it as kid. I read/sung it to a 7 month old who seemed to enjoy it as well. I wanted to give it 5 stars but the illustrations in this book were just ok in my opinion.
Emerson
Probably the best version of itsy bitsy spider I have come across as the full-length version of the song, excellent drawings, and even includes the sheet music at the end of story. In Marcy book.
Carol
Great illustrations accompany this classic nursery rhyme. Additional verses combine with the well-known first to make a complete story of the little spider's adventures.
Samantha
The expanded adventures of the Itsy Bitsy Spider in rhyming, read aloud text set against watercolor illustrations. A great read for preschool storytime!
Alyson
I love it becuase it adds more verses to the already beloved song. When my daughter is crying...I start singing the verses and she immediatley quiets.
  • Down by the Station
  • Clip-Clop
  • The Baby Goes Beep
  • The Wheels on the Bus
  • Cookie's Week
Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star I'm a Little Teapot Baa Baa Black Sheep Row Row Row Your Boat How Much Is That Doggie in the Window?