Start by marking “Great Wine Made Simple: Straight Talk from a Master Sommelier” as Want to Read:
Great Wine Made Simple: Straight Talk from a Master Sommelier

Great Wine Made Simple: Straight Talk from a Master Sommelier

4.22 of 5 stars 4.22  ·  rating details  ·  195 ratings  ·  27 reviews
From “one of the wine world’s most popular voices” (USA Today), a newly updated edition of her by-now classic introduction to wine, GREAT WINE MADE SIMPLE: Straight Talk from a Master Sommelier, reflects up-to-the minute wine trends, including the burgeoning popularity of the Shiraz grape, new flavor maps, and much, much more.

First published in 2000, Great Wine Made Simpl
Published November 3rd 2010 by Clarkson Potter (first published January 1st 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Great Wine Made Simple, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Great Wine Made Simple

Adam Wiggins
"For me, wine is a little daily celebration that I don't have to work hard to pull off."

This book demystifies the topic of fine wine. Its purpose is not education for its own sake, but rather to arm the reader to select wines they'll like, and then to maximize enjoyment of its drinking.

Key terms:

Body - A textural sensation, where light body is like skim milk and full body is like cream. Riesling and Pinot Noir are light-bodied, Cabernet and Sauvignon Blanc are medium-bodied, and Syrah and Chardo
Beri
Her overemphasized "it's going to be really easy don't worry" tone disturbed me at the beginning. Yet she kept her promise and I learned a lot easily. It is a very good book I would recommend to everybody who wants to learn about wine.
Mark
This book took me a few tries to get through, which is something of a shame... it's a bit hard to read, since it's patterned something like a "For Dummies" book. Andrea (Immer) Robinson actually writes well and engagingly, so this might be a format forced on her by the editor/publishing house.

Despite the awkward format that interrupts what could have been a smooth flow of ideas and information, there's still a lot to like about "Great Wine Made Simple." In broad strokes, it paints the overall pi
Jesse Decker
Even in the whirlwind of the 2010 summer move to San Mateo, Beth and I were excited about exploring California’s wine country. As soon as a few boxes were unpacked and we had some breathing space, I sent a note to Sheldon Menery asking for some tips on where to go. We had fun right from the beginning, thanks in no small part to Sheldon’s advice. Ever since, when I’ve had a wine question, I ping Sheldon through Facebook and avail myself of his knowledge. When I asked for book advice, he pointed w ...more
Benjamin
I enjoyed this book tremendously. I picked it up from the library immediately after a wonderful weekend spent in Sonoma on a wine tasting trip. After the realization that I didn't really understand the difference between a pinot noir and a cabernet sauvignon (nor even knowing that these were the names of the individual grape varietals), I decided to school myself.

This book took a very basic, easily approachable method of learning about wines. The author chose to base the lessons on the big six
Lauren
Robinson did an excellent job organizing this book so as to make the daunting wine world more accessible to the average wine dabbler. The book starts with a simple introduction to "the Big Six" grape varietals, then progresses to a discussion on various commonly-used wine descriptors (oaky, acidic, tannic, herbal, floral, etc), and finally highlights major old world wine regions, with discussions on aging, decanting, food pairing etc. Throughout the book, she recommends several tastings so that ...more
Sorento62
Love, love, love this book. Great introduction to the world of wine. I especially love all the tasting exercises she presents. I have done several of the tastings with friends. It was once my ambition to do all of the tastings in the book, but now that format no longer seems to be the best for the wine socializing I do.
♡ Sassy ~ Amy ♡
I know a lot about wine (NOT EVERYTHING), I have about 150 bottles hoarded from boutique wineries/bottles you can't just go to the store and buy. BUT this actually makes it simple to look up and use as a reference with all the information. It's one I will keep on my counter on my quick cookbook shelf... You know the one! The "I use them so much I am not looking in the bookshelf for it" shelf.

It's totally organized, and does not add a bunch of useless fluff, like other wine books do. Not only is
Dana
I was introduced to Andrea Robinson while reading Kevin Zrayl's Complete Wine Course book and decided to get a few of her books. This is the first in a 2 part series. I found this book a great joy to read and learned so much from Robinson. I am anxious to read the second book which focuses more on food and wine pairing. Her writing/teaching style is down to earth, easy reading and her love for wine and knowledge of it is joyfully and generously shared in this book. Highly recommended for those i ...more
Sam
Very good introduction to wines. Great tasting menus and recommendations.
Becky
If you want a good book that will go into great detail about wines without inundating the reader in statistics and charts, then this is the book for you. I’m a wine enthusiast, and I still regularly consult this book. It also has a wine tasting party planner, which is simply excellent. She really has increased my understanding and ability to taste wine. I’ve learned so much, and it’s easy to just read a chapter here and there. It is also a fantastic reference book.
Alaina
If you are interested in learning about the wine world, I highly recommend this book. The author helps the average reader learn about wine with simple language and everyday illustrations, making it easy to understand. The best part is that there are guide tastings (complete with bottle recommendations) after each section to experience what you've read.
Hilary
This book was helpful, and I'll reference it for a while yet. Because of this book, some internet research, a lot of tastings, and a few documentaries, everyone I know now thinks I know a lot about wine. I don't, by the way, but apparently I sound like I do. I REALLY hope that doesn't mean that I sound like a snooty asshole.
Mark

This is one of the most engaging and comprehensible books I have read about wine. The author is passionate about the world of wine and is not at all a "wine snob."

I recommend this book (especially the first part of it) as a great introduction and as a tool for discovering what you like and dislike about certain wines.
Carol
If you know nothing about wine, this is an excellent starter!
Robinson is a wonderful teacher, straightforward, unpretentious, highly knowledgeable, and passionate about wine. She is a real confidence builder. After reading this book, you will never look at a restaurant's wine list in the same way again.
Kristin
She could focus a little more on the wines people will actually be more likely to purchase. Her attempt to broaden the American Consumer's palate is admirable, but frustratingly narrow in scope...I'd like to see a more exhaustive guide to regionalism and terroir. But then, that just wouldn't be "simple" would it?
Joanna
This is such a great introduction to wine, wine tasting, and how to find wines you like. The do-it-yourself tastings to learn about the structure and flavors of wine are excellent. This is the closest thing I've seen to the only book about wine that most people will ever need.
Kathy McDowell (Ryan) Miller
Love this book! I consider myself very well-educated about wines and wine-tasting, but Andrea makes wines, wine labels and wine-tasting so easy to understand for anyone! Highly recommended as a gift for the newbie or the oenophile in your life.
Scott
I got this book from the library and will definitely be buying it for myself. The author breaks down the complex world of wine in simple steps, breaking things down for a novice like myself.
Ali
I haven't quite finished this yet, but I liked how Immer breaks wine down into some basic elements and gives you a simple tasting plan you can follow to edumacate yourself.
George
A great introductory book breaking down wines for the beginner. Helpful tasting suggestions throughout to help you better understand what she is writing about.
Kelly
Excellent book for "novice" wine drinkers. It will make anyone feel like an expert, and help to make the wine drinking experience much more fun.
Amy
So I read this book camping with the Crowe's in Northern MN in the Boundry waters and it rained daily. They played cards, I read about wine.
William
Hard to find a better book if you are looking for an introduction to wine. Includes suggested tastings.
Bridget
Engaging tutorial for wine fans seeking to learn more.
Sheena
The perfect book for anyone who wants to learn about wine.
Yann Peng
Great wine book for a starter!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • The PDT Cocktail Book: The Complete Bartender's Guide from the Celebrated Speakeasy
  • The Wine Bible
  • The Joy of Mixology: The Consummate Guide to the Bartender's Craft
  • Windows on the World Complete Wine Course: 2007 Edition
  • What are the Seven Wonders of the World?: And 100 Other Great Cultural Lists--Fully Explicated
  • Oldman's Guide to Outsmarting Wine: 108 Ingenious Shortcuts to Navigate the World of Wine with Confidence and Style
  • Jazz 101: A Complete Guide to Learning and Loving Jazz
  • The Accidental Connoisseur: An Irreverent Journey Through the Wine World
  • What I Eat: Around the World in 80 Diets
  • Flatbreads & Flavors
  • The House of Mondavi: The Rise and Fall of an American Wine Dynasty
  • England Under the Tudors
  • Napa: The Story of an American Eden
  • Great Tales from English History, Vol 2: Joan of Arc, the Princes in the Tower, Bloody Mary, Oliver Cromwell, Sir Isaac Newton & More
  • The Millennium Cookbook: Extraordinary Vegetarian Cuisine
  • The Sprouted Kitchen: A Tastier Take on Whole Foods
  • A Peculiar Feeling of Restlessness: Four Chapbooks of Short Short Fiction by Four Women
  • Pie It Forward: Pies, Tarts, Tortes, Galettes, and Other Pastries Reinvented
Wine writer also published as 'Andrea Immer' and later, as 'Andrea Robinson'.
Andrea Immer
Andrea Robinson
More about Andrea Immer Robinson...
Andrea Immer Robinson's 2006 Wine Buying Guide for Everyone: Revised Edition (Andrea Immer Robinson's Wine Buying Guide for Everyone)