Start by marking “Safeword: Rainbow” as Want to Read:
Safeword: Rainbow

Safeword: Rainbow

Tyler and Vivian have found each other again after a three day fling three years ago. They think they are ideally suited for each other and go forward to try to make a relationship work. And then they realize that Tyler was expecting a 24/7 total power exchange relationship and Vivian will never be a 24/7 submissive. They want to make a relationship work, but how can they ...more
Kindle Edition, First Edition
Published December 16th 2010 by Excessica Publishing (first published May 3rd 2010)

♆ BookAddict  ✒ La Crimson Femme
Mar 10, 2011 ♆ BookAddict ✒ La Crimson Femme rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Masochists
Recommended to ♆ BookAddict by: Evil friends
Shelves: bdsm, adult, intense, tpe
People in the groups I'm in keep talking about this book. Some find it too much; others loved it. I bought it because people kept pushing it at me and I caved into peer pressure. I waited a couple of months before I finally decided to read it. WHY DID NO ONE MENTION THE DOM WORKED FOR THE CIA? If there is anything that will immediately catch my interest, it is a spy. Especially a male spy who is a dom. Seriously, men in positions of law enforcement authority just do something to me.

I was hooked
Jo * Smut-Dickted *
Tyler and Viv meet and share an amazing time and then Tyler leaves and chance has them meeting again after three years. Tyler is a sadist Dom which means he not only enjoys dominating a submissive but also inflicting pain. Vivian is a submissive who enjoys being dominated but is not interested in a 24/7 TPE (Total Power Exchange). So when they meet again and Tyler assumes Viv wants a 24/7 TPE and to be his full time slave they have a lot of figuring out to do to decide whether this relationship ...more
Lirajean
Dec 19, 2012 Lirajean rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: d-s
I don't think I've read another book that was so unemotional, at least not one sold as romance. Yes, it was a hard core bdsm book but isn't that still considered romance?

The characters negotiated and discussed. Dinner together was more like a meeting with an agenda. Their scenes ended when the watch said time was up. The woman calmly states things like, "That hurt." "I hated that." "I was wet." "I love you." Yeah? Coulda fooled me. I don't remember witnessing a single instance of emotion. "I wan
Talltree
Aug 16, 2015 Talltree marked it as no-dnf-zzz-avoid  ·  review of another edition
DNF..

The initial long scene with the S/M stuff was a stretch for me but since the h was a masochist and it happened in safe conditions, I was able to make my peace with it.
But the H dumps her, telling her he'll always love her? And then when he's back years later makes no attempt to find her? As far as I've read he's totally moved on - thats not true love to me...and I also hate that its the h chasing him and not the other way around:(
Becca
This book read as a very realistic and brutally honest story of a relationship. I had to continually remind myself that her choices wouldn't have been mine and to forgo my personal judgements of their D/s, S/m love story. Although I have a very hard time understanding that someone would want to see the person they love in extreme pain - let alone be the one to cause it, this is a love story. I'm not sure how successful I was but, letting that judgement go, this was also a very good book.

I enjoye
Maria Dimitrova
I started this with apprehension cause the summary mentioned TPE and I really really hate these kind of stories. There's something about it that rubs me the wrong way and every time I read about it I catch myself thinking "I would rather die than give someone that kind of power over me". This story was no exception. I hated Tyler every time he pulled one of those commands. But that's not the reason for the 3 star rating. I mean I can't pretend that I didn't know what to expect. The sex scenes we ...more
carol
Apr 08, 2012 carol rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Adults/BDSM readers.
Recommended to carol by: BDSM group on GR's
This is the first of Candace Blevins books that I've read, and i was looking forward to it having heard lots of good things from other BDSM group members; including regards this not being an easy read and definitely high into S&M, which, I have to concur, it surely is.
We start with Viv alias 'Katrina' and it quickly unfolds she is a professional, academic and career orientated woman and BDSM is her release valve, her pleasure pastime! and as so often happens her role is the opposite of her l
Lindsey Brooks
Jun 25, 2012 Lindsey Brooks rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I will admit to being fascinated by the idea of TPE and this book certainly provides an instructive insight into that subject, even though it doesn't quite place the central characters entirely in that situation. In fact that is the central dilemma of their story, because Tyler assumes it is going to happen and Viv doesn't want it. How they come to a workable and satisfactory,for both of them, compromise is what the story is about, and the romance of course.

This is a romance but certainly not a
Kaylyn
Apr 18, 2013 Kaylyn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: loved
Candace Blevins has been on my TBR list for almost a year and I finally decided to pick up her first Safeword book after reading some reviews of her newest release. OMG!! Talk about HOT! The book started out so hot that I was a bit shocked. Most books start out slow and build up to the hot scenes so I expected that. By the end of the book I realized Candace did start it out slow. Lol

This was a great read and I hadn’t seen the dynamic of one partner wanting 24/7 Total Power Exchange (TPE) and on
Spynonu
Sep 27, 2011 Spynonu rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own-it, amazon, 4-stars
I am not a masochist but this book got me totally hot under the collar (and other places). Even though there was some extreme punishment taking place in this story it didn't feel way over the top or unbelievable as is often the case when a sadist is involved.

As I read, I winced and then cheered for Viv. I wanted her to stick it out because I wanted her to please Tyler. Hell, I wanted to please Tyler. LOL. Viv used her safe word several times which is another rarely seen features in this type of
Amy
Jul 01, 2012 Amy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bdsm
With a name like rainbow in the title, I had steered clear of this book until I read some other reviews and decided to give it a try. It did not disappoint.

I really enjoyed the scenes in this book and the author's willingness to get into the S/m aspect of the lifestyle. I also appreciated that the relationship allowed for compromise and Vivian did not give into Tyler's need for 24/7 TPE. Too many times I see books where the sub gives into the Dom's need for total power exchange, and often seems
Sassafrass
So I'm not usually into the heavy pain stuff but it is just so fascinating to get into the psychology of stuff to want to put yourself through that kind of pain to please someone. Just fascinating.

I thought the story was great. As much as Master Tyler scared me, he was uber sexy. And I could totally see where Vivian was coming from as far as her fears about hailvinf the 24/7 TPE. I am definitely going to continue with this series!
 Sara
I loved this book, even though, from the reviews, I thought I wouldn't. This was more intense both in pain and power exchange than I am used to, particularly in a completely consensual story. But it was so well written. I've read M/m stories like this and longed for something similar in M/f, now I've found it.

Kicking myself for taking so long to give it a try.
I ♥ Bookie Nookie (bookienookiereviews.blogspot.com)
Some say this is a hard core book.... though I had a tough time wrapping my mind around the tpe I wasn't opposed to to situation in the story. I was totally down with the journey and ultimately pleased with the final destination.

mlady_rebecca
Didn't enjoy this one quite as much as the other books I've read in this series. Not sure if that is just the plot/characters/kink of this particular book or the fact that this was written earlier and the author's style has just matured. (Prior to this I read books 4, 5, and 6, in that order.)

I enjoyed the initial scene, before Viv and Travis (or rather Kat and Master James) parted ways. The burst of suspense right after they re-connected was interesting, but was resolved a bit too quickly for
₸hea™
Nov 07, 2015 ₸hea™ rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: re-bdsm-enzo
After reading Duke I was really curious about the side characters in that book. I found out some of those people had their own series; this Safeword series. :-) This first book is about Vivian and Tyler and I loved it!! Woow... this book has really intense BDSM scenes! Although I don’t understand the appeal of it (not the giving-pain-part nor the receiving-extreme-pain-part) I don’t mind reading about it. Beside the BDSM scenes, this book also had a well thought out story. It felt like this coul ...more
Poison
May 29, 2013 Poison rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm gonna be the wet blanket on this one, I guess. I know its a love story and everything, and everyone seems to be happy at the end, but I don't buy it.

Tyler is looking for his HEA with a 24/7 slave, and instead he gets a bedroom sub/masochist not interested in being his slave, nor in 24/7. In the world I've always lived in, these people play for a bit, and break up, while the sub looks for something less intense, and the Master looks for his 24/7.

Compromise never works full time. So, I had tro
Vivian
Nov 03, 2011 Vivian rated it really liked it
Shelves: erotica-contemp
Jeez, I must have talked so much about this book that I forgot to write a review or it disappeared like one sock in the dryer.

This is one hardcore masochist/sadist romp. I loved that Viv wasn't a weak, sad little creature and when things weren't like she expected she told Tyler straight up--Hell no! Pretty damn HOT interactions with them.

The resulting renegotiation was probably my favorite part of the book, unlike the tacked on suspense element of the story which merely served as a distraction.
Amber J.
This was a great love story and a quick and easy read. It was a little too predictable and sweet for me. The dark and dirty came in the actual TPE scenes, verses the story line. I am not a lover of some parts of TPE, so that is my personal struggle. For me to take this to a 5 star, I would have liked to see something more exciting with being protected from the bad guy or some type of relationship drama, other than the power struggle.

All that being said, I jumped right into book 2 and book 3 bec
Laurie
May 11, 2015 Laurie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
First Read: May 12, 2015
Reread: June, 2016

I read this in 2015 and with the BDSM leaning towards the S/M side, I decided it wasn't my cup of tea. I love Candace Blevins other series though so I decided to give it another shot. It still isn't my cup of tea, but I find the flavor not as shocking as I did a year ago. It does have an almost instructive quality to it which some might not appreciate.

I was able to enjoy that actual story more this time around. Not a bad read, just a bit outside my comf
GreenFairy
So Viv and Tyler meet, but not as Viv and Tyler. They were Katrina and Master James. 3 nights, not even full days and nights. Just 3 nights. And they knew they belonged together. Seriously. The brother is originally dead set against it. Then once the threat is over he's suddenly okay with it? Please. And the rest was too contemporary for me. However, the writing was good. It did flow...just too fast. I can see why so many enjoy it. If I was into contemporary, I would be too.
Tennacious B
Jul 22, 2015 Tennacious B rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, bdsm, erotica, taboo
This is my first book of the series and of Candace Blevins, and I am hooked. I have recently discovered the concept of TPE and after reading Safeword: Rainbow, I feel more confident in going to explore it!
H
Nov 08, 2016 H rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dnf, adult
Too technical, not enough romance.
Future Slayer Girl
Feb 11, 2012 Future Slayer Girl rated it it was amazing
I'm in love, lust, full blow masochistic submission with this author! Review coming soon!
Deviant Divas
Feb 19, 2011 Deviant Divas rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Candace Blevin's Safeword: Rainbow starts with a very HOT bang and scene after scene in the book keep on delivering!

Vivian MacNeill is a professor at the University of New Hampshire who loves field research and longs to work in a small Aquarium. Where she can direct her own department and research. Because of her career, she cannot risk being out as an active participant in BDSM, or her professional goals may never be realized(a reality many people in the lifestyle can empathize with). So to sat
Themis
This is the first in the Safeword series but I have been reading them out of order, which for me it's OK as each book focuses on the couple except in this we get to visit Chattanooga and Drake Security for a glimpse.
It was a great read from start to finish, is was full on with power exchange and alot of impact play.
I am not into pain but still really enjoyed this book.
Read for the Bingo Challenge - TPE category and this book is spot on!
Barbara
Posted: July 2nd 2012
Reviewer: Barb
Rating: 4 Stars
Heat Level: III

Warnings: This title contains graphic language, consensual BDSM that some may find objectionable, anal sex, bondage, and use of toys including crops, clips, clamps, plugs, and gags.

Summery/Blurb (from book)

Tyler and Vivian have found each other again after a three da
Patti TheLoveJunkee
Vivian MacNeill is a professor working on her PhD. Her students would never guess that at night she's a regular at the local BDSM club. She's a sub, and she's just found the perfect Dom. Too bad he's gone after three days.

Tyler Hastings is in town for three days, and he found the sub of his dreams. They were fabulous together, but he was only in town for those days and then gone with his job. He's never forgotten her...

Three years later, Tyler is out of the CIA and headed home with his best frie
Blackravens Reviews
MacKenzie’s Review:

What a great story. I’m was impressed that the entire story was really about these two characters and not necessarily centered solely on their BDSM or sexual aspects. There was danger and intrigue that kept you guessing. That’s not to say that Safeword Rainbow isn’t BDSM heavy – not to mention full of heavy BDSM. The sexual and sensual scenes are blazing hot. If you’re not into reading the BDSM genre, then I would certainly caution you to heed the publisher’s warning line befo
Jessica  `~Blahyze~`
I had previously read a book by Candace Blevins, so I did have some idea as to what I was getting into yet this one still managed to shock me with the detail it went into, in a good way. So many authors tend to glaze over the BDSM aspects when they write the genre, Candace Blevins does it justice. Though I would say with the read being so honest in that form, it can be quite confronting and some may find it too much for their particular tastes.

I love how everything started off with Tyler and Viv
  • Submissive Desires
  • As She's Told
  • Master of the Sun
  • Sacred Secrets (Chronicles of Surrender, #1)
  • The One Worth Finding
  • Club Mephisto (Club Mephisto, #1)
  • Private Investigations
  • Becoming Sage (The Keyhole, #1)
  • The Auction
  • Restraint (Mistress & Master of Restraint, #1)
  • Victorious Star (Interstellar Service & Discipline, #1)
  • Submissive Beauty
  • The Forbidden Room (The Forbidden Room, #1)
  • Above the Dungeon (Dungeon #1)
  • Butterfly Unpinned
  • Generational Sins (Generational Sins, #1)
  • Wrapped Around Your Finger (Bound to You, #1)
  • Learning to Drown
Candace Blevins lives with her husband of 18 years and their two daughters. When not working or driving kids all over the place, she can be found reading, writing, meditating, or swimming.

Candace writes Urban Fantasy, Paranormal Romance, a smoking hot Motorcycle Club series, and a contemporary BDSM Romance series.

Her urban fantasy series, Only Human, gives us a world where weredragons, werewolves
More about Candace Blevins...