Start by marking “Year's Best Fantasy” as Want to Read:
Year's Best Fantasy

Year's Best Fantasy (Year's Best Fantasy #1)

3.62 of 5 stars 3.62  ·  rating details  ·  125 ratings  ·  10 reviews
Tales As Deep As Legend
And As New As Dawn
Acclaimed editor David G. Hartwell has gathered a harvest of shimmering beauty and powerful writing in this inaugural volume of the very best fantasy from the last year. Established masters rub elbows with rising stars in this outstanding collection of short stories rich with imagined lands and finely etched, unforgettable charact
Published October 13th 2009 by HarperCollins e-books (first published July 3rd 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Year's Best Fantasy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Year's Best Fantasy

K. Axel
Jun 28, 2011 K. Axel rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of Gaiman and de Lint
Recommended to K. Axel by: none
This small paperback has been hiding from me for years, escaping my eye at the bottom of my box with books-to-read. I love anthologies, and while year's best anthologies must present the best of that particular year, these are often hard for me to read because I dont know what to expect in terms of theme and style.

However, looking at this anthology I find stories from a lot of masters that I respect. Masters like Michael Swanwick, Tanith Lee, Neil Gaiman and Liz Williams.

This is a review-in-prog
Leonardo
Aug 20, 2014 Leonardo rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Lovers of ground-breaking fantasy and sci-fi
An uneven, but quite interesting anthology that, on retrospect, offers and interesting look at early 21st century fantasy literature, with a handful of masterfully woven tales that might survive the test of time. From the gentle to the unsettling, this anthology cover a vast ground, from sword-and-sorcery to contemporary urban fantasy, as well as a few stories whose authors are heirs to Jorge Luis Borges. In my opinion, the most remarkable stories of this anthology include "October in the Chair" ...more
Grant
Hmm. Clearly, fantasy literature and I have diverged a bit. It was my hope in reading this volume to discover some new authors that I could enjoy. While I recognize the literary merit of all of the stories in this edited collection, I can't say any really resonated with me. Modern fantasy seems to have moved more and more in the direction of what I would consider horror fiction. Perhaps I should be broader-minded, but I'll stick with enchanted quests and barbarian swordspersons.
krin
I enjoyed this collection of short stories. Some of my favorite stories were George R.R. Martin's "Path of the Dragon" which gave some insight into Daenarys Targaryen and Sherwood Smith's "Mom and Dad on the Home Front," which illustrated what parents go through when the children have otherworldly adventures.
Dave
A mixed bag of stories, including a long excerpt from GRRM's A Storm of Swords and Terry Goodkind's Debt of Bones.
Charles
Some were great and some were not - but it is what you get with a collection - worth getting.
bluetyson
Year's Best Fantasy 3 (Year's Best Fantasy) by David Hartwell (2003)
Sherwood Smith
Jun 17, 2009 Sherwood Smith added it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, my-books
My story "Mom and Dad at the Home Front" is in it.
bluetyson
Year's Best Fantasy by David G. Hartwell (2001)
Tim
Tim marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2015
Catherine Johnson
Catherine Johnson marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2015
Shellii Huff
Shellii Huff marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2015
Keontez George
Keontez George marked it as to-read
Apr 11, 2015
Mike
Mike marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2015
Mallory Heart Reviews
Mallory Heart Reviews marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2015
Kellye
Kellye marked it as to-read
Apr 06, 2015
Lisa
Lisa marked it as to-read
Mar 26, 2015
Liz Davidson
Liz Davidson is currently reading it
Mar 18, 2015
Kyle Newton
Kyle Newton marked it as to-read
Mar 18, 2015
Alejandra Torres
Alejandra Torres marked it as to-read
Mar 03, 2015
Frode
Frode is currently reading it
Feb 26, 2015
Daniel Stephens
Daniel Stephens marked it as to-read
Feb 23, 2015
Kme_17
Kme_17 marked it as to-read
Feb 20, 2015
  • The Year's Best Fantasy and Horror: Thirteenth Annual Collection
  • The Fantasy Hall of Fame
  • Sisters in Fantasy 2
  • The Year's Best Dark Fantasy & Horror, 2014 Edition
  • The Best Science Fiction and Fantasy of the Year (Volume 1)
  • The Year's Best Science Fiction: Thirteenth Annual Collection
  • Shadows of the New Sun: Stories in Honor of Gene Wolfe
  • Once Upon a Time
David Geddes Hartwell (born July 10, 1941) is an American editor of science fiction and fantasy. He has worked for Signet (1971-1973), Berkley Putnam (1973-1978), Pocket (where he founded the Timescape imprint, 1978-1983, and created the Pocket Books Star Trek publishing line), and Tor (where he spearheaded Tor's Canadian publishing initiative, and was also influential in bringing many Australian ...more
More about David G. Hartwell...

Year's Best Fantasy (9 books)
  • Year's Best Fantasy 2
  • Year's Best Fantasy 3
  • Year's Best Fantasy 4
  • Year's Best Fantasy 5
  • Year's Best Fantasy 6
  • Year's Best Fantasy 7
  • Year's Best Fantasy 8
  • Year's Best Fantasy 9
The Dark Descent (Collection) The Hard SF Renaissance The World Treasury of Science Fiction Year's Best SF 14 Year's Best SF 11 (Year's Best SF (Science Fiction))