Start by marking “It's Not About the Money” as Want to Read:
It's Not About the Money

It's Not About the Money

3.79 of 5 stars 3.79  ·  rating details  ·  228 ratings  ·  28 reviews
What do the latest financial thinking and ancient spiritual teachings reveal to us about financial freedom? Top financial advisor Brent Kessel insists financial success and security is "not about the money." Rather, it's about what's inside us—first understanding your emotional relationship to money, and only then taking action. It's Not About the Money expertly and compas ...more
Published July 8th 2008 by HarperCollins e-books (first published 2008)

To ask other readers questions about It's Not About the Money, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about It's Not About the Money

Dawn
If your main money concern is "Oh my God, how do I get out of debt?" try something by David Bach. However, if you're wondering why you can't seem to make peace with your own attitudes and behaviors about money, this is the book for you. Brent Kessel identifies eight financial archetypes (and you are sure to recognize yourself in at least one of them), and gives tips on how each can balance its strengths and weaknesses.

I originally read about this book in Yoga Journal, and was a tad hesitant it w
Trish
So far, I love this book. It's like no other personal finance book I've read. I'm learning why I think the way I do about money. It's not a "how to" book, but delves more into your own personal money philosophy. Insightful!

Update: This is by far my favorite personal finance book. The first part of the book focuses on "The Nature of the Mind." From understanding the Buddhist principle of The Wanting Mind which is " always craving an experience different from the one it currently has", to truly r
Quinn
Pretty good. It's a book that covers a range of attitudes towards money and the pros and cons of each attitude. It was plesantly spiritual for a financial book. The book was a pretty quick read, the last chapters cover the basics of investing (if you've read them once you've read them a million times) so I skipped through them.
Marla Glenn
Fascinating! I'm learning so much. Finally a book about money that I can relate to. Coming at a very serendipitous moment in my life, too!
Experience Life
Money has a way of provoking powerful gut reactions — ranging from giddy butterflies to acid reflux — in most of us. According to author and financial planner Brent Kessel, these responses have as much to do with a lifetime of conditioning as with any objective financial reality. Everyone has a “money story,” he explains. That story has a huge influence on our financial decisions, and a huge capacity to wreak havoc from the psychological sidelines. To that end, It’s Not About the Money teaches y ...more
Stephanie
Hmmm...well just saw that he has written two other books since 2008....the one in 2011 w/ CD's and cards....will try not to focus on the Wanting Mind and wanting to read more:) Thought some very good insight and fit nicely with other book was reading concurrently "In Praise of Slowness"--similar messages about meditation, yoga, spiritual connectedness and mindfulness in decision making vs. just playing out our "core" story as it relates to money, or really other areas of our life. Again think th ...more
Elizabeth

The Financial Toll of Wanting
Diminishing Returns
The More We Want, the More We Want
12 (1)
Financial Planning and Great Investment Advice Won't Get You ``There''
13 (3)
Wanting Bette
Cheri
Hands down one of the best books I've read about personal finance as it get to the root of our relationships with money rather than just going into "how to get out of debt" or "how to save for retirement".

Brent Kessel breaks out 8 financial archetypes, and how they relate emotionally to money:

1) Guardian: Alert & careful (i.e. worries) about $
2) Pleasure Seeker: Lives for today
3) Idealist: Values freedom, creativity, social justice etc. over $
4) Saver: Seeks security & abundance throug
Jill
This book started with a lot of promise. I certainly "unlocked my money type", but I'm still waiting to achieve "spiritual and financial abundance"! The author really delved into the idea of The Wanting Mind and tapping into your unconscious "issues" (e.g. Core Story) that are dictating your financial life. There were good exercises in the book to assist you with this self-examination. The second half of the book was dedicated to helping you balance your harmful unconsious habits with your innat ...more
H

Pitfalls: worry, anxiety

PLEASURE SEEKER
G: enjoyment, pleasure
P: hedonism, impulsiveness

IDEALIST (prioritizes creativity/compassion/social justice/spiritual growth)
G: vision, compassion
P: distrust, aversion

SAVER
G: self-sufficiency, abundance
P: hoarding, penny-pinching

STAR (spends to be recognized)
G: leadership, style
G: pretentiousness, self-importance

INNOCENT (life will work out for best regardless of money)
G: hope, adaptability
P: avoid
Stacia
I finally found a book that approaches finance the way I deal with other areas of my life. Who knew you could deal with money with a similar problem solving set? The author has been a financial adviser/meditation devotee for something like 20 years. In this time he collected what he calls the "8 money types." Presumably you relate to one of two of these. It helps get to the heart of fears we have concerning money. Once these fears are identified you can find a more balanced path. Sort of resting ...more
Becky
Borrowed from library.

Saw that Kessel had spoken at Kripalu and met several people who really enjoyed his seminar, so picked this up. It reminded me some of George Kinder's "Seven Stages of Money Maturity".

The financial advice he presents in the book was good, but I already knew most of that. I found the archetypes more interesting, personally.

Apparently, I'm a Saver/Guardian/Empire Builder type, with a tendency to hoard/save/worry about money. Kessel suggests these types can learn from more ge
Christina
Interesting perspective on your "financial archetype". Emphasizes putting your money towards what is truly important versus material items (takes a spiritual approach). It also has very specific investing advice. It speaks specifically about investing passively or through index funds and diversifying asset classes. Needing stocks, real estate and bonds (depending on age).
US Large 21%
Intl Small 4%
Intl Small Value 4%
Emerging Markets
Sam Rodriguez
This is half self-help book, half financial book, with a sprinkling of Zen. It's very valuable if you want to take a look at how you relate to money and how that is the real issue, as opposed to outside factors. I was pleased to see he recommended meditation several times to gain some objectivity with regard to financial issues. This isn't really a quick read if you really dive in to the exercises. Overall, a great book, definitely worth reading and keeping to refer back to.
Jessica
As someone with what I have always felt was extraordinary anxiety about money, Brent Kessel's writing style and financial prowess has been a blessing. He does a great job of validating one's feelings about their issues with money. Get ready to improve your relationship with yourself and the world through learning about your financial archetype and empower yourself to make the best decisions for your money type. Highly, highly recommended.
Sue
Jan 21, 2009 Sue marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I got this out of the library and read the first few pages. I really liked the section that talked about the dynamics of wanting. I think about it every time I feel like I HAVE to have something.

I'm working with another prosperity book with friends right now, so I'll return this to the library and check it out later.
Amanda
May 30, 2008 Amanda rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone new to financial planning
This is an interesting approach. Kessel uses some Buddhist principles to explain our attitudes and habits with money. It's more of a reflective self-diagnosis than a how-to. Not a lot of jargon, so it makes a good starting point if you're new to financial planning. I will not easily forget what I read in this book.
Kathy
Helpful in understanding people's different approaches and hangups about money, so helpful for a financial planner like me! Author is into yoga, meditation, and is a financial planner. Some good practical advice to help people understand their own money issues and do something about them.
Takayama3
Aug 31, 2008 Takayama3 is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
This book is great! It presents you with different archetypes and you get to see clearly which one you are in relationship to your money! He is a Financial Advisor/ Yogi. Easy read and very interesting...
Eric Bell
This book took an interesting approach to finance. It mixed life style choices, archetypes of financial dispositions, and typical personal finance advice to form a well-rounded text on finance.
Rachel Jones
The only book I've ever been able to read about investment. Usually, financial talk sounds like "blahblahblah" to me. But he broke it down in such a way that I could pay attention.
Denise
Very revealing as far as how one likes to spend their money. But near the got caught up in the nitty gritty percentages of investing and stocks and such which did not hold my interest.
David Perrin
Lots of good reviews. I saw the potential in the book. Just never got into it... A few good thought provoking parts here and there.
Deo348
I should have read this book 10 years ago. I think my attitudes about money have matured and this book wasn't relevant to the me of today.
Gayle
I really enjoyed this book. I appreciate the way the author mixed eastern and western philosophy when discussing money.
Kimberly
I tried... really tried to get into this book. Just couldn't do it.
Julie
What a refreshing way to relate with money.
Prince Israel
Prince Israel marked it as to-read
Dec 23, 2014
Catherine
Catherine marked it as to-read
Dec 22, 2014
  • Re-Create Your Life
  • Numbers Guide: The Essentials of Business Numeracy
  • Work Less, Live More: The Way to Semi-Retirement
  • Learning from the Future: Competitive Foresight Scenarios
  • Green to Gold: How Smart Companies Use Environmental Strategy to Innovate, Create Value, and Build Competitive Advantage
  • Turning Numbers into Knowledge: Mastering the Art of Problem Solving
  • Hiring Smart!: How to Predict Winners and Losers in the Incredibly Expensive People-Reading Game
  • Principles of Statistics
  • Path of Least Resistance: Learning to Become the Creative Force in Your Own Life
  • The McGraw-Hill 36-Hour Course in Finance for Non-Financial Managers
  • Fail-Safe Investing: Lifelong Financial Security in 30 Minutes
  • Bankable Business Plans
  • Web Analytics: An Hour a Day
  • Essentials of Accounting
  • Marketing Metrics: 50+ Metrics Every Executive Should Master
  • Bit Literacy: Productivity in the Age of Information and E-mail Overload
Brent Kessel is Co-Founder of Abacus Wealth Partners, (www.abacuswealth.com) named one of the “top 250 wealth management firms in the U.S.” by Bloomberg Wealth Manager, and Abacus Portfolios (www.abacusportfolios.com), a portfolio management company offering socially responsible investing. Brent earned his economics degree from UCLA, and studies psychology, meditation and Ashtanga yoga. Brent has ...more
More about Brent Kessel...
The Money & Spirit Workshop: A Step-By-Step Plan for Achieving Greater Prosperity & Peace of Mind [With 24 Cards and Workbook and 8 CDs]