Start by marking “Red Tide (Frank Corso, #4)” as Want to Read:
Red Tide (Frank Corso, #4)

Red Tide (Frank Corso #4)

Terror has hit the West Coast with a vengeance—leaving a tunnel full of corpses beneath the Seattle streets, with a dark promise of far, far worse to come. Despite official attempts to keep the catastrophe under wraps, rogue journalist Frank Corso refuses to remain idle, immersing himself in a shadow world of senseless violence and unconscionable evil. For a strange connec ...more
Published October 13th 2009 by HarperCollins e-books (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Red Tide, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Red Tide

Jun 19, 2014 Joe rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery-thriller
I am a big fan of this author's books. He's written two series, the first featuring Leo Waterman, an up and coming private eye in Seattle, Washington. The Waterman series is light, i.e. not a whole lot of violence, humorous and with a "unique" set of secondary characters. The second features Frank Corso, a discredited NY journalist now working as an investigative reporter for a third tier paper in Seattle. These mysteries and Corso are darker than their predecessors with Frank investigating - so ...more
Iain McGregor
Due to a number of unforeseen diversions in my personal life recently, I took a great deal longer to read this than would normally have been the case and as a result I feel that (inevitably) it was disjointed and slow to conclude. However, please don't let that up you off, especially if you like world conscious plots and themes. The story points a long over due finger at American corporate greed and their self centred attitude to what happens, as a result of their actions, elsewhere in the world ...more
Nov 24, 2009 Night rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This is the fourth book of GM Ford I read (hopefully in the right order). I like his writing style, character development and the protagonist--Frank Corso.

Anyway, compared to the first three books, the fun was dropping. The theme about biochemical terrorism was interesting enough. But there was loose end about a character left unexplained. (Maybe, this may be explained further in the next book?)

In my opinion, the writer did well describing a macho lone-wolf protagonist like Frank Corso. The sto
RED TIDE (Amateur Sleuth/Police Procedural) - G+
G.M. Ford – 4th in series
William Morrow, 2004 - Hardcover
When the police evacuate an area in Seattle, including a gallery with Meg Donovan’s first showing and Corso in attendance, Frank decides to find out why. Terrorists have released a controlled form of the Ebola virus into a subway stations, and over a hundred people die. In the meantime, Meg sees, follows, and loses the man responsible for marking her, only to have him turn up later, dead in h
Stephen Arnott
Apr 25, 2015 Stephen Arnott rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller
In some ways an interesting and enjoyable book, but one that gets increasingly tiresome and ludicrous the further you read.

My chief complaints are the ridiculous coincidences that eventually tie-in the main Corso plot with a sub-plot involving his girlfriend, and the 'mysterious' lady scientist who pops up whenever convenient to the story and then vanishes into thin air.

The final twist is pathetic. It is hackneyed, defies logic and insults the reader's intelligence.

It feels like the author had a
Mar 27, 2011 Bill rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: gave-up-on
This book just didn't hold my attention. After a very interesting opening, the story sputters to a halt. I knew there must be more action coming, but I just didn't care to read through all the dry character background that seemed to be forced into the book. A lot of time is spent trying to develop the character's past all in the middle of a bio-terror attack on the city. It's almost as if the characters forgot that a disaster was taking place. This kind of breakdown in logic prevented me from fi ...more
Aug 04, 2012 Meaghan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: epub-library
Eh. I like G.M. Ford's characters, pacing, plot, pretty much everything. I generally find bioterror, potential apocalypse, life post 9/11 fiction to be interesting and thought provoking. Unlike peanut butter and chocolate, these two great tastes did not go great together. The pacing was odd (one day takes multiple chapters, one month takes paragraphs) and the B-storyline was just too random, dropped half way through the book and only returned as a bombshell/cliffhanger postscript.

I'll stick with
May 21, 2016 Paige rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
These books from this author, and genre in general, are my "mindless don't want to read anything too heavy", so the bar is set to meet that goal.

Lots of characters, I should've kept notes to remember who's who (that's a tip for you). Always well written if you overlook the few clichés. If you like the character's Frank Corso and Meg Dougherty, they're actually not in this so much. I thought the characters could have had any other name and the story would be the same.

Regardless of that, the book
Greg Tymn
Jun 06, 2014 Greg Tymn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The plot required a degree of disbelief that was greater than most Ford novels. Having said that, this is a worthy addition to the Frank Corso franchise. As always, solid writing, great plot, visually interesting and villians that need killing.

I don't know if I like Corso better than Waterman, but I'd have to say that the Ford novels have eclipsed the Crais novels that I've always been a fan of.

Great job.
Rosina Lippi
G.M. Ford tells a fast paced, vivid story but he doesn’t neglect the characterizations or the backstory, which turns the question of guilt and responsibility on its ear.

But I did have one big quibble, with the last two pages, which seemed a rather… lazy way to solve one of the backstory issues.
Nov 23, 2013 Viverl rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I so did not like this book, too many male protagonists (I couldn't keep up on who is who because they were all so generic). Womes were either dumb or the victim and that male-female encounter from the female perspective was so wrong on so many levels. I just read this because I had not read a book in quite a while and felt that I needed to finish this.
Oct 09, 2009 woody rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Biological warfare book. I couldn't buy the fact that Frank Corso went from leading suspect to assistant policeman in like 5 minutes. Really does Frank have to be the police too? I get that as the leading character the story is about him, but why not write a book that gives him a chance to shine as a reporter not a pseudo cop.
Jun 19, 2015 Ed rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reporter, crime, thriller
#4 in the Frank Corso series. Frank Corso is now a best selling author.

Frank Corso is at a showing of photog Meg Daugherty's works when the gallery is evacuated because of a terrorist attack. People in a bus tunnel have been struck down by a bioengineered hemorrhaghic virus. Corso gets caught up with Meg and a pair of cops in an effort to find the terrorists before they strike again.
Ebola, bio-terrorism, action, adventure, yet somehow, still forgettable. This story has been told better. If you are interested in stories involving Ebola as weaponry, there are many in this genre, my advice to you is start seeking out one of the more believable, well-written ones. They are out there, much less dated than "Red Tide." This one simply has not aged well.
Aug 10, 2008 Dave rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Seattle author/sometimes scofflaw who happens to be downton when a dirty bomb goes off in a train station. He manages to insert himself into the investigation and racing against the clock to stop another, more deadly bombing.
Sep 09, 2013 Peggy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Journalist Corso is at Meg's art exhibit when they are given an order to evacuate. There is terrorist activity in the subway system, and more is promised. Corso pulls Meg in and tries to stop it. The book I was reading was smokey smelling, which may have made me like the book less.
Jan 04, 2009 Debbie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is my second read just for the escape and pleasure of a little suspense reading in a couple of days. I have not read any of Ford's books before but found this one just suspenseful enough to keep me enteratined.
Dec 29, 2010 Frank rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Yet another detective thriller airplane read, set in Seattle, but I'm enjoying this one more than most. Deservedly? Can't tell ya, but it doesn't really matter.
Thomas Wier
Thomas Wier rated it liked it
Jul 17, 2013
Julie rated it it was amazing
Jan 08, 2015
Avenger654 rated it did not like it
May 05, 2016
Deb rated it really liked it
Apr 09, 2012
Alan W Spencer
Alan W Spencer rated it really liked it
Jun 05, 2014
Sue rated it it was ok
Apr 11, 2013
Mozilla rated it it was ok
Oct 21, 2016
Kfplus2 rated it really liked it
May 13, 2013
Jenifer Mohammed
Jenifer Mohammed rated it really liked it
Jan 19, 2014
Nancy Williams
Nancy Williams rated it really liked it
Apr 16, 2016
JM rated it liked it
Nov 28, 2015
Sandy Greve
Sandy Greve rated it really liked it
Feb 11, 2014
the ending 1 3 Oct 10, 2014 12:28PM
  • House of Dark Shadows/Watcher in the Woods (Dreamhouse Kings, #1-2)
  • The Big Law (Phil Broker, #2)
  • The Devil's Cure
  • The Puppet Show
  • The Butterfly Effect
  • Mind Catcher
  • In Her Defense
  • The Source
  • The Blackbird Papers
  • Dark Inheritance
  • Death Notice (Kat Campbell #1)
  • August Moon (Murder-by-Month Mystery #4)
  • Denial
  • Inferno
  • Out of the Sun
  • Assumed Identity
  • Web of Deceit
  • Skull Duggery (Gideon Oliver, #16)
Gerald M. Ford is the author of the widely praised Frank Corso novels, Fury, Black River, A Blind Eye, Red Tide, No Man's Land, and Blown Away; six highly acclaimed mysteries, featuring Seattle private investigator Leo Waterman; and the stand-alone thriller Nameless Night. A former creative writing teacher in western Washington, Ford lives in Seattle and is currently working on his next novel.
More about G.M. Ford...

Frank Corso (6 books)
  • Fury (Frank Corso, #1)
  • Black River (Frank Corso, #2)
  • A Blind Eye (Frank Corso, #3)
  • No Man's Land (Frank Corso, #5)
  • Blown Away (Frank Corso, #6)

“His longterm aspirations were not a subject upon which he allowed himself to dwell. Not because they were in any way bad or bizarre, but because he had come to realize he didn't have any. Nothing specific anyway. He'd never pictured himself as anything in particular. Just a situation where he made enough money doing something... anything... enough to have whatever he wanted. A nice new Dodge pickup. A boat or maybe a little house someplace. The kind of things people wanted.” 1 likes