Start by marking “Red Tide (Frank Corso, #4)” as Want to Read:
Red Tide (Frank Corso, #4)

Red Tide (Frank Corso #4)

3.68 of 5 stars 3.68  ·  rating details  ·  282 ratings  ·  21 reviews
Terror has hit the West Coast with a vengeance—leaving a tunnel full of corpses beneath the Seattle streets, with a dark promise of far, far worse to come. Despite official attempts to keep the catastrophe under wraps, rogue journalist Frank Corso refuses to remain idle, immersing himself in a shadow world of senseless violence and unconscionable evil. For a strange connec ...more
Published October 13th 2009 by HarperCollins e-books (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Red Tide, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Red Tide

Joe
I am a big fan of this author's books. He's written two series, the first featuring Leo Waterman, an up and coming private eye in Seattle, Washington. The Waterman series is light, i.e. not a whole lot of violence, humorous and with a "unique" set of secondary characters. The second features Frank Corso, a discredited NY journalist now working as an investigative reporter for a third tier paper in Seattle. These mysteries and Corso are darker than their predecessors with Frank investigating - so ...more
Stephen Arnott
In some ways an interesting and enjoyable book, but one that gets increasingly tiresome and ludicrous the further you read.

My chief complaints are the ridiculous coincidences that eventually tie-in the main Corso plot with a sub-plot involving his girlfriend, and the 'mysterious' lady scientist who pops up whenever convenient to the story and then vanishes into thin air.

The final twist is pathetic. It is hackneyed, defies logic and insults the reader's intelligence.

It feels like the author had a
Iain McGregor
Due to a number of unforeseen diversions in my personal life recently, I took a great deal longer to read this than would normally have been the case and as a result I feel that (inevitably) it was disjointed and slow to conclude. However, please don't let that up you off, especially if you like world conscious plots and themes. The story points a long over due finger at American corporate greed and their self centred attitude to what happens, as a result of their actions, elsewhere in the world ...more
Greg Tymn
The plot required a degree of disbelief that was greater than most Ford novels. Having said that, this is a worthy addition to the Frank Corso franchise. As always, solid writing, great plot, visually interesting and villians that need killing.

I don't know if I like Corso better than Waterman, but I'd have to say that the Ford novels have eclipsed the Crais novels that I've always been a fan of.

Great job.
Night
This is the fourth book of GM Ford I read (hopefully in the right order). I like his writing style, character development and the protagonist--Frank Corso.

Anyway, compared to the first three books, the fun was dropping. The theme about biochemical terrorism was interesting enough. But there was loose end about a character left unexplained. (Maybe, this may be explained further in the next book?)

In my opinion, the writer did well describing a macho lone-wolf protagonist like Frank Corso. The sto
LJ
RED TIDE (Amateur Sleuth/Police Procedural) - G+
G.M. Ford – 4th in series
William Morrow, 2004 - Hardcover
When the police evacuate an area in Seattle, including a gallery with Meg Donovan’s first showing and Corso in attendance, Frank decides to find out why. Terrorists have released a controlled form of the Ebola virus into a subway stations, and over a hundred people die. In the meantime, Meg sees, follows, and loses the man responsible for marking her, only to have him turn up later, dead in h
Meaghan
Eh. I like G.M. Ford's characters, pacing, plot, pretty much everything. I generally find bioterror, potential apocalypse, life post 9/11 fiction to be interesting and thought provoking. Unlike peanut butter and chocolate, these two great tastes did not go great together. The pacing was odd (one day takes multiple chapters, one month takes paragraphs) and the B-storyline was just too random, dropped half way through the book and only returned as a bombshell/cliffhanger postscript.

I'll stick with
Bill
This book just didn't hold my attention. After a very interesting opening, the story sputters to a halt. I knew there must be more action coming, but I just didn't care to read through all the dry character background that seemed to be forced into the book. A lot of time is spent trying to develop the character's past all in the middle of a bio-terror attack on the city. It's almost as if the characters forgot that a disaster was taking place. This kind of breakdown in logic prevented me from fi ...more
Wordsmith
Ebola, bio-terrorism, action, adventure, yet somehow, still forgettable. This story has been told better. If you are interested in stories involving Ebola as weaponry, there are many in this genre, my advice to you is start seeking out one of the more believable, well-written ones. They are out there, much less dated than "Red Tide." This one simply has not aged well.
Donna Stinson
Another good book by my new favorite author. Time to start on the next one!
Viverl
I so did not like this book, too many male protagonists (I couldn't keep up on who is who because they were all so generic). Womes were either dumb or the victim and that male-female encounter from the female perspective was so wrong on so many levels. I just read this because I had not read a book in quite a while and felt that I needed to finish this.
woody
Biological warfare book. I couldn't buy the fact that Frank Corso went from leading suspect to assistant policeman in like 5 minutes. Really does Frank have to be the police too? I get that as the leading character the story is about him, but why not write a book that gives him a chance to shine as a reporter not a pseudo cop.
Rosina Lippi
G.M. Ford tells a fast paced, vivid story but he doesn’t neglect the characterizations or the backstory, which turns the question of guilt and responsibility on its ear.

But I did have one big quibble, with the last two pages, which seemed a rather… lazy way to solve one of the backstory issues.
Peggy
Journalist Corso is at Meg's art exhibit when they are given an order to evacuate. There is terrorist activity in the subway system, and more is promised. Corso pulls Meg in and tries to stop it. The book I was reading was smokey smelling, which may have made me like the book less.
Dave
Seattle author/sometimes scofflaw who happens to be downton when a dirty bomb goes off in a train station. He manages to insert himself into the investigation and racing against the clock to stop another, more deadly bombing.
Debbie
This is my second read just for the escape and pleasure of a little suspense reading in a couple of days. I have not read any of Ford's books before but found this one just suspenseful enough to keep me enteratined.
Frank
Yet another detective thriller airplane read, set in Seattle, but I'm enjoying this one more than most. Deservedly? Can't tell ya, but it doesn't really matter.
Herzog
Disappointing. Reasonable premise that just didn't hold together very well.
Diane Clavette
Love the characters, story grabs you from the start.
Poppy
as always, a fun read.
Wanda
Excellent, good premise.
Mahreen Khan
Mahreen Khan marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2015
the ending 1 1 Oct 10, 2014 12:28PM
  • House of Dark Shadows/Watcher in the Woods (Dreamhouse Kings, #1-2)
  • The Devil's Cure
  • The Puppet Show
  • After The Rain (Phil Broker, #5)
  • Soul Patch (Moe Prager, #4)
  • In Her Defense
  • Skull Duggery (Gideon Oliver, #16)
  • Mind Catcher
  • Dark Inheritance
  • The Source
  • August Moon (Murder-by-Month Mystery #4)
  • Denial
  • The Inheritance (Inspector Trave, #1)
  • Assumed Identity
  • Inferno
  • Death Notice (Kat Campbell #1)
  • Out of the Sun
  • The Blackbird Papers
Gerald M. Ford is the author of the widely praised Frank Corso novels, Fury, Black River, A Blind Eye, Red Tide, No Man's Land, and Blown Away; six highly acclaimed mysteries, featuring Seattle private investigator Leo Waterman; and the stand-alone thriller Nameless Night. A former creative writing teacher in western Washington, Ford lives in Seattle and is currently working on his next novel.
More about G.M. Ford...

Frank Corso (6 books)
  • Fury (Frank Corso, #1)
  • Black River (Frank Corso, #2)
  • A Blind Eye (Frank Corso, #3)
  • No Man's Land (Frank Corso, #5)
  • Blown Away (Frank Corso, #6)
Who in Hell Is Wanda Fuca? (Leo Waterman, #1) Chump Change (Leo Waterman, #8) Thicker Than Water (Leo Waterman, #7) Cast In Stone (Leo Waterman, #2) The Bum's Rush (Leo Waterman, #3)

“His longterm aspirations were not a subject upon which he allowed himself to dwell. Not because they were in any way bad or bizarre, but because he had come to realize he didn't have any. Nothing specific anyway. He'd never pictured himself as anything in particular. Just a situation where he made enough money doing something... anything... enough to have whatever he wanted. A nice new Dodge pickup. A boat or maybe a little house someplace. The kind of things people wanted.” 1 likes