Start by marking “This Little Chick” as Want to Read:
This Little Chick

This Little Chick

4.04  ·  Rating Details  ·  388 Ratings  ·  57 Reviews
Who says a little chick can’t make big, loud animal noises?

Most little chicks barely make a peep, but not this little chick! While his brothers and sisters nestle close to their mother hen, this little chick struts off on his own to make some new friends in the farmyard. And he has a wonderful time of it - sliding off the back of a shiny pink pig, hopping along with frogs,
Published February 1st 2002 by Candlewick Press

To ask other readers questions about This Little Chick, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about This Little Chick

Funny Face, Sunny Face by Sally SymesA Book of Babies by Il Sung NaSay Hello Like This! by Mary MurphyHello Baby! by Mem FoxFlip, Flap, Fly! by Phyllis Root
Books for Baby Time
9th out of 14 books — 1 voter
Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? by Bill Martin Jr.Smile! by Roberta Grobel IntraterWhere Is Baby's Belly Button? by Karen KatzEat! by Roberta Grobel IntraterMoo, Baa, La La La! by Sandra Boynton
Great Books for Babies
83rd out of 96 books — 11 voters

More lists with this book...

Latoya Sharaine
May 03, 2015 Latoya Sharaine rated it really liked it
This simple book of poetry is intended for children ages 2-5. This book was awarded the New York Times Best Illustrated Children's Books. This Little Chick is about a chick that goes out to play with the other barn animals. Along his journey he learns all the different noises that the animals make. Not only is it a fun story about a chick’s adventure throughout the farm, deeply rooted is the idea that even a small chick can make great noises as the bigger animals can if he tried. I gave this boo ...more
Natalie
Mar 16, 2015 Natalie rated it really liked it
This atypical little chick knows how to fit in wherever she goes. Incorporating a small puppet into sharing this story does not make for difficult handling of the physical book. Or add frog, cow, duck, and pig puppets and ditch the book entirely.
Heather
Mar 12, 2011 Heather rated it it was amazing
After reading this about 20 times, I finally realized this should be sung - though it works either way. The illustrations are fantastic.
Siskiyou-Suzy
A good book for the littlest of little ones. The illustrations are fairly cute, and the little chick romps around having fun imitating the other animals. You can totally sing this to the tune of Five Little Ducks as well and play a sort of guessing game.
Erin
Mar 04, 2013 Erin rated it it was amazing
This Little Chick shines in several ways as an exceptional children’s book for the 0-4 age group. Its rhyming verse and animal sounds encourage phonological awareness and narrative skills; and vocabulary learning is also encouraged through the animal’s names and sounds. The book’s illustrations are unique, charming, and vintage-inspired through hand-crafted elements including vinyl engravings, watercolor washes, and printed wood textures. Children will find enjoyment in calling out the next anim ...more
Danielle Mootz
May 11, 2016 Danielle Mootz rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids-books
Great little story. My kids found it hilarious that a chick was making other animal sounds.
Stacey
Feb 01, 2015 Stacey rated it it was amazing
Shelves: olly-s-faves
Fantastic book with great art and simple sing song story (which we actually do sing)
Courtney
Feb 07, 2013 Courtney rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ed-310
This book is everything a children's book should be. It has awesome illustrations, animal noises, and rhymes! The repetitive nature and prompts that this books has helps involve children in the story.
The little chick mimics every animal he meets. Children will get excited when they know what the next page will say. The ending also ties up the book very nicely when little chick comes home to his mom and combines all the unique animal noises he heard all day! I would love to have this book in my
Anthony
Jun 10, 2015 Anthony rated it liked it
Cute. Fascinating illustrations. Boring narrative.
Bonnie
Sep 30, 2014 Bonnie rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
Good book for little ones to play along.
Casandria
Oct 14, 2015 Casandria rated it it was amazing
Great for toddler story time!
Ginger
Aug 18, 2013 Ginger rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Great visuals, good rhythm, and fits well into some different storytime pairings (riffs off the song about the ducks going out one day in its narrative rhythm, has lots of lively animals). The text moves well on the page. I think it would be a 4 star book for me if I hadn't read so many lively animal noise books that I've gotten jaded. That being said, the way this one plays with the different animal noises is original and smoothly done, and the typography in the spread at the end is lovely. Kid ...more
Elizabeth M
Sep 17, 2013 Elizabeth M rated it really liked it
This pattern/predictable book was awesome. I especially loved the illustrations. They were so vibrant and I liked how all the animals were depicted. This book was good for pattern/predictable because it was the same idea on every page and forced the students to guess what animal noise the little chick would hear from each certain animal. I really liked this book and thought that it would be very helpful in a classroom when teaching predictability. Overall I liked this book.
Carmine
Jun 25, 2009 Carmine rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: babies/toddlers
Recommended to Carmine by: random selection from my local library
This is one of my 1 y.o. daughter's favorite books of the moment, probably because it contains two of her favorite things- ducks and cows. She anticipates those two pages and even when "reading along," I can tell when she turns to the cow or duck because I'll hear "duck, duck, duck" or "Mmmmmmmmmm" which means cow.

The woodcut illustrations in this book are amazing and deserving of the NYT best illustrated book award it received.
Susan
Sep 20, 2015 Susan rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015, storybook
A multi-lingual chick visits his farmyard friends and along they way helps to teach children about farm animals and the noises that the make.
Gail Barge
The illustrations in this book are unusual and beautiful. John Lawrence creates a day full of fun for a little chick in this book that would be create for pre-k kids. The animals sounds and actions would lend themselves to a lesson on on the farm, which is often a unit in kindergarten. The underlying theme this book gives is to have fun and experience new things, which is a great piece for advice for kids of all ages.
Rebecca
Jan 13, 2011 Rebecca rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: toddler-preschool
Five stars for the gorgeous, textured illustrations in this simple book that teaches farm animal sounds. From the CIP page: "The illustrations in this book were made from vinyl engravings, watercolor washes, and printed wood textures. The words were made from an original alphabet engraved in vinyl. Computer technology was used to bring these hand-crafted elements together."

Computer technology + hand-crafted elements! Yes!
Mar 14, 2012 Sarah rated it really liked it
Shelves: kidlit, picture-books
The wood block illustrations are the real star of this story for toddlers through grade 1. They are big bold and colorful, making this a good choice for a read aloud. The story also encourages interaction because Little chick goes around the farm learning the sounds of the other animals. We make the sounds along with him and, at the end, we join a cacophony of animal sounds as he shows his mother what he's learned.
Vivian
Apr 19, 2013 Vivian rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
If you use this book in a story time you can actually "sing" it to the tune "Five Little Ducks Went Out One Day".

"This little chick from over the way
went to play with the pigs one day.
And what do you think they heard him say?
Oink, oink, oink, oink!"

And so it goes, with every visit the mixed-up chick imitates the new friends' sounds. The story time crowd agreed this was very silly.
Meredith
Aug 10, 2016 Meredith rated it really liked it
The best of the animal noise books I read this week. And it got huge approval ratings from a 3-and-a-half year old test audience member. Will add to PreK lesson.
Camille
Nov 20, 2013 Camille rated it liked it
I've read this book multiple times before and I haven't reviewed it before now, but eh.
I like the little story about the wandering chick who meets different farm animals and picks up the sounds they make, but what's best about the book is being able to share animal sounds with children.
Rosa Cline
Feb 08, 2016 Rosa Cline rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids
This book helps introduce children to farm animals and the various noises they make. The little chick is the main character and he goes out on the farm to make new friends and he learns how to make the noises of the animals. A really sweet book
Feb 08, 2008 Laura rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children
I love the illustrations in this book. Lawrence does awesome colored wood block prints that are interesting for adults, but blocky and colorful enough for kids. I like all of his stuff. My 1 year old digs the colorful animals and all of the sounds.
Katie
May 30, 2008 Katie rated it really liked it
I read this book to my daughter when she was about 14 months, and she has been a book fiend since. It's a fun book with simple verses that teach animal sounds. However, I really hate the end. Too much work to read!
Dolly
Mar 21, 2009 Dolly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Shelves: childrens, 2009
Fun story for all ages. Simple, repeating narrative, with beautiful illustrations of common farm animals. Our girls loved this story and better yet, they even read some of it themselves.
Sam
Feb 18, 2013 Sam rated it really liked it
Shelves: ed-310
This book is great for kids who are learning the sound animals make! It would be great for the kid if the teacher wants them to read a long. The illustrations are colorful and interesting!
Christina Schmitt
Apr 22, 2012 Christina Schmitt rated it it was amazing
This is a great book about animal sounds. All the sounds are accurate, and there is a story line to go along with it. Great book for young readers learning animal sounds!
Molly
Apr 06, 2012 Molly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
We used this one for an Easter themed Bunny Hop, but you could easily apply it farmyard, chickens, noises, or rhyming. The kids enjoyed it and helped make all the animal sounds.
Carol
Feb 12, 2012 Carol rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: babies - preschool
Excellent engaging read that introduces children to different animals and the sounds they make. Engagingly presented and illustrated. An excellent read aloud.
Danielle
Mar 19, 2013 Danielle rated it liked it
This little chick makes the noises of whatever animal it is currently playing with. Good for farm storytime. Big block pictures make it good for toddler storytime.
  • Farmyard Beat
  • All Kinds of Kisses
  • I Spy on the Farm
  • Cows in the Kitchen
  • We've All Got Bellybuttons!
  • One Two That's My Shoe!
  • Hello, Day!
  • Clip-Clop
  • Big Fat Hen
  • Little White Duck
  • Chicken, Chicken, Duck!
  • The Baby Goes Beep
  • I Am Small
  • Toot Toot Beep Beep
  • A Hat for Minerva Louise
  • Barnyard Banter
  • Hurry! Hurry!
  • Tiny Little Fly

John Lawrence’s signature wood engravings grace the pages of many classic novels and anthologies. But to do the large bold engravings for THIS LITTLE CHICK, he chose to work in vinyl. He says of this book, "I always wanted to do a book for very young children and was delighted when a little chick turned up on my
More about John Lawrence...