Start by marking “The Sixties: Years Of Hope, Days Of Rage” as Want to Read:
The Sixties: Years Of Hope, Days Of Rage

The Sixties: Years Of Hope, Days Of Rage

Part personal memoir, part criticism, part celebration & part meditation, The Sixties: Years of Hope, Days of Rage brings to vivid life the years when an entire generation revelled in its power to shape history & society.
Nook, 0 pages
Published by New York : Bantam Books (first published 1987)

To ask other readers questions about The Sixties, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Sixties

Inanna Arthen
Apr 14, 2012 Inanna Arthen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fascinating memoir of Todd Gitlin's journey through the radical movements of the 1960s. I especially appreciated the detail about the very early period, late 50s and early 60s, which are often disregarded in popular treatments of the era. Gitlin's writing is very literary/academic in style, and is consistent with a lot of other writing from the 1960s, something that I think many people would be surprised by. The driving personalities of that time were college students and extremely intelligent y ...more
Kressel Housman
In true 60's tradition, I don't remember much about this book, but I do remember that I finished it, I enjoyed it, and it taught me the phrase "red diaper baby."
Tim
Nov 16, 2012 Tim rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: gave-up-on
I don't often write negative things about books, since even the worst among them generally has some useful ideas or at least expands your mind by challenging a firmly-held opinion. Unfortunately I cannot in good faith say any of these things about Todd Gitlin.

Gitlin's writings are so pernicious precisely because they lull you into a false sense of intellectual security; Gitlin's book has about as much use for serious historians and activists as the movie Forrest Gump. It's rare indeed that a bo
Craig Werner
Jun 05, 2011 Craig Werner rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history, sixties
Addendum to the review that follows: I managed to forget one of the things that irritated me most about the book, which is that Gitlin pays almost no attention to Vietnam veterans, who make their appearance only very late. A clear reflection of his, and the New Left's, insular qualities. I've changed my mind and am reducing the rating to two stars after fall.

Very difficult book for me to evaluate with anything resembling "fairness," which is appropriate for a book that looks at the 1960s from th
Susan
Feb 24, 2014 Susan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The author gives the reader of the culture of the decade that changed America. Young people protested the Vietnam War for they felt it unjust in killing women and children in a foreign land. Our soldiers coming home were disrespected and spit upon and called baby killers. Drugs and the counterculture set the tone for liberalism. Students protested the bureaucratic system at the Universities and creating groups to fight and be recognized for their rights and music became of communicating how some ...more
Erik Graff
Apr 23, 2010 Erik Graff rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Americans
Recommended to Erik by: no one
Shelves: history
While I was growing up Dad subscribed to Consumer Reports. Well, he didn't actually subscribe. He actually would sell ten subscriptions a year, mostly to colleagues at work, then get his subscription for free. In bad years he'd buy gift subscriptions for friends and family in order to get his "free" one.

I was introduced to The Guardian, an independent radical newsweekly which published from 1947 through 1992, in high school. In college, it being my favorite leftist rag, I got my own "free" copy
John Mosman
Oct 20, 2016 John Mosman rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history
I found this history of the anti-war, anti-government and 60's revolution a difficult read but a fascinating one. Todd Gitlin was a president of SDS during the sixties and deeply involved with anti-war movement during the decade. This intellectual gymnastics about the third world wars of liberation (Vietnam and Cuba two examples) tortuous and difficult to follow a times. Having grown up a teenager and young man in the sixties, Gitlin gets the cultural side of the youth movement, the times, the m ...more
Joann
Apr 02, 2014 Joann rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
To say I 'read' this book is not correct. Over the years I have 'dipped' into it now and then, picking out pages that I thought I might find interesting. Mostly I found it too intensely detailed particularly about the early sixties and focused on campus happenings and the SDC . I guess I sort of ran between the raindrops of events in that period. I began to pay attention about 1966 to the point that by 1968 I was working at Pacifica Radio, and the turmoil of that period is more relevant to me. I ...more
Stephen Van
If you can endure intense over-analysis of the political, social, and cultural cauldron of the 1930s-190s leading up to the discussion about the actual 1960s, you will like this. If not, you might find one of those "What a year it was!" books with the pictures of bell-bottoms and beer ads from the period. I actually thought this book might give a broader overall of the decade, but basically focused on the Leftist youth revolt of the 60s, and the author's personal experiences within. It starts wi ...more
Jon
Apr 27, 2014 Jon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was weird reading about the creation, growth and self-destruction of the radical left from the perspective of the radical-right dominated 2014. Gitlin's detailed, up-close-and-personal history is enlightening, sad, perceptive and a warning of how far we've come. What was once a legitimate opposition would look foolish and be called terrorists by today's conservative-dominated media. As much as the New Left was spied on, harassed, antagonized into fracturing, today they would probably just be ...more
Krista
Jul 03, 2011 Krista rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Meh. Way too densely packed with detail about the SDS and other revolutionary groups. I was expecting this to be a broader history book; instead it's a memoir that only a small group of people can probably appreciate. I suppose if you were a member of these organizations, you'd care to read hundreds of pages about the bickering and in-fighting between individual group members. What this has to do with the general decade of the 1960's I have little idea. I skimmed a lot of it and gave up.

Another
Florence
The Sixties were like another world. They seem so far in the past, like my youth. I am familiar with the politics and interpersonal dynamics of the New Left groups and author Todd Gitlin mentions nothing that seemed jarring to my memory. Opposition to the war in Vietnam virtually exploded in a paroxysm of anger and disillusionment. Then the focus seemed to shift to anti imperialism, anti Americanism, and misplaced admiration for international revolutionary movements. Looking back, it seems odd t ...more
Bookshark
This book provides an extensive, detailed, well-researched, and personal account of the 1960s political youth movement. The combination of factual accounts of major events and anecdotes of illustrative minor events evokes the zeitgeist of the 60s. Although I do not always concur with Gitlin's extrapolated wisdom regarding movement strategy, his theoretical commentary is thoughtful and never overwhelms the other content. This work gets five stars primarily because Gitlin's exposition of the nitty ...more
Marc
A very detailed account of the decade, especially inside the radical student movement and the hippie/yippie dissenters. Like Charles Kaiser's book, it was published in the late 1980s long enough after to permit some reflection, some might say revisionism. This book covers some of the same events with more of the context. I enjoyed reflecting on the events myself after even more time has passed. It was surely a tumultuous decade. Like any generation in the modern time, we made some goofy, naive m ...more
Craig
Give this book a chance. It's slow at times and not as detailed at other times as one might like, but its coverage of some events of the 60s (Columbia University sit-ins, the events of 1968, rise of Weather Underground, problems within SDS) are really riveting. And I like the conclusion where he tries to put all the puzzle pieces together in the messed-up decade of the Sixties. A little too philosophical at times, but wasn't that what the Sixties were all about?
Amanda
Feb 08, 2009 Amanda rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: put-downs
Well, this book just wasn't what I thought it was going to be or be about, even...completely focused on "New Left" movement of the 60s, which was kind of interesting and is definitely essential to understanding the political landscape of that time. However, it's not what I had in mind and frankly, it gave me a headache. I felt like I was doing homework. Meet the first book I've ever returned to the library without finishing it.
Dan Kugler
Apr 05, 2008 Dan Kugler rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is perhaps the most important history of the last radical movement that america has had... very well written by a scholar, journalist, and important SDS member (in the pre-violent, pre-druggy days)... a great counterpoint to the cultural trend (which began, after all, in the 60's) of downplaying the era's struggles for racial, gender, homosexual, and social justice and instead characterizing it as one of hedonistic irresponsibility...
Sayzie
Oct 11, 2007 Sayzie added it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Sixties buffs or those fascinated with political movements
Gitlin is organized and thorough, but the material is a little dense. I originally read parts of this book in a college course and have returned to it chapter by chapter over the years. I assigned parts to my students, but they would have been better off with more general readings. Gitlin is a good writer, however, and it's the best read of books of its kind. Whenever I forget the names of the founding SDS members or the Chicago Eight, I don't panic, but reach for the Gitlin.
Dana D. Burnell
I don't mind an undisciplined sentence or six--but after a while I yearn to break out the whip! This book is interesting when Gitlin isn't discussing himself and his own experiences in the 60's, but when he's knee-deep in info about the SDS. . .well, there's no need for warm milky beverages to put me to sleep.
Lysergius
Aug 21, 2011 Lysergius rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history
All I can say after reading this massive tome is that Mr. Gitlin's sixties were different from mine! I guess I was one of those people he talks about who took no interest in politics and wandered off in search of themselves. Not such a bad thing to do Todd, really!

That being said, if you want a reasonable history of the SDS by someone who was involved in it then this is probably your book.
Aaron
Nov 30, 2008 Aaron rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history
As with And the Crooked Places Made Straight I read selections from this about 10 years ago and cannot remember the details. I have the impression that this text felt more "academic," and probably less accessible to the general public, but otherwise an interesting and broad history of the 1960s in the United States.
Francisco Acuna
This is really a 3.2 rating. This book truly has surprisingly thrilling and interesting moments. However, the writing style that engages in excessive navel gazing detail and pandering rhetoric, suffocates them, rendering an otherwise brilliant work into a sadly boring one.

I still think is worth reading it but simply fast forward to the more historical parts.
Beau
Jul 21, 2016 Beau rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Super frustrating endnotes. Gitlin is a great writer that uses imaginative metaphors though out his history. His less than radical liberalism is tough to forgive, coming from such a radical background as SDS.
Christy Risk
Sep 21, 2012 Christy Risk rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Almost done. For a kid born in 1970, I had a very romanticized idea of the 60's. Now I understand why my mother hissed, "Stop doing that!" whenever I flashed the peace sign out the back window when I was 3 years old.
Tim Petersik
Nov 28, 2012 Tim Petersik rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is not so much a history of the decade as it is a reflection of the meaning of the 60s to the children of old-fashioned liberal, labor-oriented parents. It's about 'THE movement." Given that as its goal, this is a highly effective story.
Linda
May 29, 2008 Linda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was a child in the Sixties and have a vague memory of the events of this book. Reading it, however, made me realize how much those seemingly tangential events (to my life atleast) really shaped who I am today.
keatssycamore
May 17, 2007 keatssycamore rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Aging hippies
Shelves: history
Explains the student movements and their broader antecedents in an informative and accesible way.
Devon
Jul 27, 2007 Devon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history, nonfiction
This was one of the major sources for my senior thesis. Gitlin writes history the way I'd like to write history. Interesting, accessible, but still factual and informative.
I didn't read this book. My friend, John, did. He vehemently hates this book.
Brian
Apr 06, 2009 Brian rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A clever mix of personal experiences and the history of the 60s
  • The Seventies: The Great Shift In American Culture, Society, And Politics
  • The Search for Order, 1877-1920
  • Over Here: The First World War and American Society
  • Takin' It to the Streets: A Sixties Reader
  • American Crucible: Race and Nation in the Twentieth Century
  • Richard M. Nixon (The American Presidents, #37)
  • America Divided: The Civil War of the 1960s
  • Race, Reform, and Rebellion: The Second Reconstruction in Black America, 1945-1990
  • Making a New Deal: Industrial Workers in Chicago, 1919-1939
  • Deep Politics and the Death of JFK
  • The Legacy of Conquest: The Unbroken Past of the American West
  • Inevitable Revolutions: The United States in Central America
  • The Populist Moment: A Short History of the Agrarian Revolt in America
  • The Secret Team: The CIA & its Allies in Control of the United States & the World
  • Democracy Is in the Streets: From Port Huron to the Siege of Chicago
  • American Dreams: The United States Since 1945
  • The Cold War: A History
  • To Serve God and Wal-Mart: The Making of Christian Free Enterprise
Todd Gitlin is an American writer, sociologist, communications scholar, novelist, poet, and not very private intellectual. He is a professor of journalism and sociology at Columbia University.
More about Todd Gitlin...