Start by marking “Hunting for Hemingway (D.D. McGil Literati Mystery Series #2)” as Want to Read:
Hunting for Hemingway (D.D. McGil Literati Mystery Series #2)

Hunting for Hemingway (D.D. McGil Literari Mystery #2)

Although insurance investigator DD McGil has always had her choice of lovers, she’s been spectacularly unlucky in love. Now one of DD’s former flames, Hemingway expert David Barnes, claims to have recovered the legendary stories and poems that Hemingway’s first wife lost while on a train to Switzerland in 1922. Barnes plans to auction them off for millions, but controversy ...more
Published September 1st 2010 by Llewellyn Worldwide, LTD.

To ask other readers questions about Hunting for Hemingway, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hunting for Hemingway

Wynn
Jan 10, 2017 Wynn rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Character development was a little sloppy as I really could not follow the sudden relationship between the main character and her love interest. I feel the story would have been better if there was no love interest at all. Madsen, instead, should have focused more on the plot as it had a lot more potential. I was disappointed. Book wasn't bad enough to stop reading but did not have the satisfying ending that I was expecting.
Lissy Peace
Award Winning “HUNTING FOR HEMINGWAY” A DD MCGIL LITERATI MYSTERY
BY DIANE GILBERT MADSEN

DD MCGIL DELVES INTO THE MYSTERY OF WHAT WOULD HAPPEN IF ERNEST HEMINGWAY’S LOST MANUSCRIPTS WERE FOUND.
WHAT WOULD THEY BE WORTH? IS IT WORTH MURDER?

In the exciting new novel of the DD McGil Literati Mystery series, Diane Gilbert Madsen pens HUNTING FOR HEMINGWAY (Midnight Ink, Fall, 2010) that ponders the thought of what would happen if Ernest Hemingway’s long lost manuscripts were found. In December 1922,
Bonnie
Hemingway in any title will capture my attention; hence, it was fun to stumble upon this at the library upon my visit to check myself in at the front desk to ashamedly but happily read for two hours to read off my library fines.

It seems that Hadley, Hemingway's first wife, left some very important manuscripts of Hemingway's on a train in a valise. Hemingway met her at the train station in Lausanne, and found her inconsolable about the loss. He immediately boarded the train and tried to retrace h
Jim
Feb 26, 2013 Jim rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I must confess, the title got me. When browsing used books for sale at a local library, I had to pick up this paperback. The fifty cent price was right and Ernest Hemingway is my favorite author. A mystery novel surrounding Papa's lost works ... worth a try.

Hunting for Hemingway turned out to be as average a book as I could imagine. It wasn't bad enough to stop reading or good enough to keep reading. I started it months ago and kept carrying it around in my computer bag, always finding something
Noel
Oct 17, 2010 Noel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is Diane Gilbert Madsen's second book in the D.D. McGil literary sleuthing series. While fictional, it is based on a true event in the life of Ernest Hemingway. That event was the disappearance of a valise containing some of his unpublished manuscripts. The fiction part is what would happen if that valise and its contents were to resurface many years later.

Diane Gilbert Madsen chooses her themes with relish, writes a great story, and provides the unique enthusiasm of combining murder-myster
M.v
Jul 23, 2013 M.v rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked the fact that Madsen incorporated some Hemingway facts. The clues should have been more subtle in who the killer was. There were some subtle racist moments in descriptions of random characters. Minus points for me on that. And the main character was too much of an alpha female for me (but again personal preference on me). In narrative it was great and had me on a hook on who the killer was.
Susan
Sep 29, 2010 Susan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery-illinois
Insurance investigator DD McGil runs into an old boyfriend who wants her advice on the Hemingway manuscripts that have been sent to him. Then the insurance company she works for wants her to investigate the same documents. DD would be all set, if a murderer didn't have other ideas. Meanwhile, she takes on two different jobs and realizes that she has too many men interested in her. A good follow-up to "A Cadger's Curse." and I'm already looking forward to the next one.
Kim
May 13, 2012 Kim rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I actually needed to read a book with a typewriter on the cover. The hardcover, which was a large print edition, had the typewriter. My borrowed edition from the library did not, but it was all good.

I liked this cozy mystery which had historical basis and content. DD didn't seem too stereotypical of the female leads in most cozies, but I grew bored with her romantic thoughts and interruptions.
Sandybear76
I liked this book. I don't remember reading a lot of Hemingway but I read a couple of his books. I liked the bits of history with the murder mystery. DD is a fun, funny, single girl looking for her way in the heart of Chicago. Hopefully, the next book will tell us about Scotty.
Deb
Apr 21, 2011 Deb rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very quick read, murder mystery, about lost manuscripts of Hemingway's coming to light, murder ensues, lots about authors,academia, Hemingway's early life, Chicago. This book is not on its way to being a classic, but it is a fun book to read.
Toni ~married to a hunk~
As I was reading this book I learned a lot about Hemingway. I also learned that this wasn't the first one in the series. I am going to go back and read the first one but did like them enough to try another.
Susan Baumgartner
A mystery trying to be a romance novel, or vice versa. The main character seems to have never met a guy who isn't both hot and of partner interest to her. Fun read, regardless.
Tricia Griffith
Tricia Griffith rated it liked it
Mar 11, 2012
Margaret
Margaret rated it did not like it
Feb 03, 2013
Brian Haugen
Brian Haugen rated it it was amazing
Jun 18, 2015
Cynthia Kuhn
Cynthia Kuhn rated it it was amazing
Sep 20, 2011
Suzy
Suzy rated it liked it
Apr 14, 2014
Kelly
Kelly rated it really liked it
Jan 13, 2012
Leslie
Leslie rated it liked it
Jan 07, 2016
Carolyn Smith
Carolyn Smith rated it really liked it
Nov 15, 2014
Carie Dixon
Carie Dixon rated it it was ok
Aug 16, 2012
Richard Griffin
Richard Griffin rated it really liked it
Apr 16, 2014
Andrea
Andrea rated it really liked it
Apr 04, 2015
Cheri
Cheri rated it it was ok
Mar 15, 2011
Midnight Ink
Midnight Ink rated it it was amazing
Jul 10, 2012
Terisa De Morgan
Terisa De Morgan rated it really liked it
Nov 01, 2010
Zita K.
Zita K. rated it really liked it
Nov 16, 2013
Bollyviewer
Bollyviewer rated it it was amazing
Apr 13, 2015
Jaymie L
Jaymie L rated it liked it
Feb 13, 2016
J
J rated it it was amazing
Dec 27, 2010

D.D. McGil Literari Mystery (3 books)
  • A Cadger's Curse (A D.D. McGil Literati Mystery, #1)
  • Conan Doyle Notes: The Secret of Jack the Ripper