Hunting for Hemingway (D.D. McGil Literati Mystery Series #2)

Hunting for Hemingway (D.D. McGil Literari Mystery #2)

3.44 of 5 stars 3.44  ·  rating details  ·  39 ratings  ·  11 reviews
Although insurance investigator DD McGil has always had her choice of lovers, she’s been spectacularly unlucky in love. Now one of DD’s former flames, Hemingway expert David Barnes, claims to have recovered the legendary stories and poems that Hemingway’s first wife lost while on a train to Switzerland in 1922. Barnes plans to auction them off for millions, but controversy...more
Published September 1st 2010 by Llewellyn Worldwide, LTD.

Lissy Peace
Award Winning “HUNTING FOR HEMINGWAY” A DD MCGIL LITERATI MYSTERY
BY DIANE GILBERT MADSEN

DD MCGIL DELVES INTO THE MYSTERY OF WHAT WOULD HAPPEN IF ERNEST HEMINGWAY’S LOST MANUSCRIPTS WERE FOUND.
WHAT WOULD THEY BE WORTH? IS IT WORTH MURDER?

In the exciting new novel of the DD McGil Literati Mystery series, Diane Gilbert Madsen pens HUNTING FOR HEMINGWAY (Midnight Ink, Fall, 2010) that ponders the thought of what would happen if Ernest Hemingway’s long lost manuscripts were found. In December 1922,...more
Bonnie
Hemingway in any title will capture my attention; hence, it was fun to stumble upon this at the library upon my visit to check myself in at the front desk to ashamedly but happily read for two hours to read off my library fines.

It seems that Hadley, Hemingway's first wife, left some very important manuscripts of Hemingway's on a train in a valise. Hemingway met her at the train station in Lausanne, and found her inconsolable about the loss. He immediately boarded the train and tried to retrace h...more
Noel
This is Diane Gilbert Madsen's second book in the D.D. McGil literary sleuthing series. While fictional, it is based on a true event in the life of Ernest Hemingway. That event was the disappearance of a valise containing some of his unpublished manuscripts. The fiction part is what would happen if that valise and its contents were to resurface many years later.

Diane Gilbert Madsen chooses her themes with relish, writes a great story, and provides the unique enthusiasm of combining murder-myster...more
Susan
Insurance investigator DD McGil runs into an old boyfriend who wants her advice on the Hemingway manuscripts that have been sent to him. Then the insurance company she works for wants her to investigate the same documents. DD would be all set, if a murderer didn't have other ideas. Meanwhile, she takes on two different jobs and realizes that she has too many men interested in her. A good follow-up to "A Cadger's Curse." and I'm already looking forward to the next one.
Kim
I actually needed to read a book with a typewriter on the cover. The hardcover, which was a large print edition, had the typewriter. My borrowed edition from the library did not, but it was all good.

I liked this cozy mystery which had historical basis and content. DD didn't seem too stereotypical of the female leads in most cozies, but I grew bored with her romantic thoughts and interruptions.
M.v
I liked the fact that Madsen incorporated some Hemingway facts. The clues should have been more subtle in who the killer was. There were some subtle racist moments in descriptions of random characters. Minus points for me on that. And the main character was too much of an alpha female for me (but again personal preference on me). In narrative it was great and had me on a hook on who the killer was.
Sandybear76
I liked this book. I don't remember reading a lot of Hemingway but I read a couple of his books. I liked the bits of history with the murder mystery. DD is a fun, funny, single girl looking for her way in the heart of Chicago. Hopefully, the next book will tell us about Scotty.
Deb
Very quick read, murder mystery, about lost manuscripts of Hemingway's coming to light, murder ensues, lots about authors,academia, Hemingway's early life, Chicago. This book is not on its way to being a classic, but it is a fun book to read.
Toni ~married to a hunk~
As I was reading this book I learned a lot about Hemingway. I also learned that this wasn't the first one in the series. I am going to go back and read the first one but did like them enough to try another.
Susan
A mystery trying to be a romance novel, or vice versa. The main character seems to have never met a guy who isn't both hot and of partner interest to her. Fun read, regardless.
Grey853
I liked the main character, but the story seemed contrived and not very realistic.
Carol Mello
Carol Mello is currently reading it
Jul 03, 2014
Vicki
Vicki marked it as to-read
Jun 12, 2014
David O'brien
David O'brien marked it as to-read
Jun 09, 2014
Yilin
Yilin marked it as to-read
May 20, 2014
Jd
Jd added it
Apr 19, 2014
Ashley
Ashley marked it as to-read
Apr 11, 2014
Staci
Staci added it
Nov 22, 2013
Maya
Maya marked it as to-read
Oct 05, 2013
Jd1284
Jd1284 added it
Jul 28, 2013
Jeff Keener
Jeff Keener marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
A Cadger's Curse (A D.D. McGil Literati Mystery, #1) The Conan Doyle Notes: The Secret of Jack the Ripper