The Heart of Winter

The Heart of Winter

3.83 of 5 stars 3.83  ·  rating details  ·  69 ratings  ·  16 reviews
This trio of irresistible stories from Maggie Shayne, Linda Winstead Jones and Day Leclaire touch the heart of who we are and what we desire....

Melinda Terwilliger is a mild-mannered teacher--until she accidentally becomes The Toughest Girl in Town. But she meets her match in an undercover cop determined to get to know the real Melinda...with kisses hot enough to melt any...more
Published January 1st 2011 by Harlequin Anthology (first published December 21st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Heart of Winter, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Heart of Winter

Tam
This is not my normal type of Anthology. It is a romance, but there was something different about the collection and I liked it.

I really did like all of the stories, it's hard to choose a favourite. I loved the concept of 'Toughest Girl in Town'. Oh my goodness! So hilarious. But I was a little taken aback by the fact that she actually had a large threat in the end that she had to deal with. I wish she'd taken her ninja approach to more lower-level problems - like getting the teens to stop vanal...more
Carolyn F.
Anthology. This anthology was okay, not great, not horrible, just okay.

The Toughest Girl in Town by Maggie Shayne. Melinda, a mild manner school teacher is hypnotized by a good friend whose TV comes on and is convinced she was a spy at one time. Now she's mad and is not going to take it anymore. Okay story. ***

Resolution by Linda Winstead Jones. Nell Rose is on her way to a winter vacation alone because she just found out her boyfriend is married with children. Her car goes into a ditch and she...more
Christine
Thanks to NetGalley and Harlequin for letting me read this in exchange for an honest review.

The Toughest Girl In Town - 4 stars

This was rather cute. I enjoyed reading the changes in Melinda's personality after her 'discovery', which were highly amusing. The one thing I didn't like was how Maggie Shayne wrote the leading man's character to lead us to conclude he was the bad guy, when the summary gives it away from the beginning. Either the person who writes the summary didn't actually read it,...more
Cleffairy
Published at: The Library of Lights

Date published: 27th Jan 2011

Review link: http://mykindaland.com/?p=92

Ooopsss, another case of judging a book by it’s cover. I’ve been putting off from reading Heart of Winter because it was not attractive enough for me, and I thought the stories would not be nice. But boy am I glad that I finally got the mood to read this one as it’s an absolute gem. The anthologies ar absolutely fun, thrilling and romantic read, and I wish there was more than just three stori...more
Megan
The title doesn’t make this sound like a Holiday book, but in fact it is. Two of the stories take place over New Year’s Eve and New Year. This is the very first anthology I have read where I loved absolutely every story without exception. Which is weird for me since all the stories are contemporary romance (which is actually my least favorite genre.) The only reason I bought this book was for my favorite author, Maggie Shayne. But, boy am I ever so glad I read the other two stories!!

The Toughest...more
Lady Lioness
"The Toughest Girl in Town" by Maggie Shayne

I did not particularly enjoy this story. I thought the premise was absurd and we did not see the relationship between Melinda & Matthew really develop at all. 2 stars.

"Resolution" by Linda Winstead Jones

This is the RITA nominee. It was definitely better than "The Toughest Girl in Town," but I still wasn't overly impressed. I thought Jones did a good job of developing the romantic relationship within the confines of the novella format, but, overall...more
Angela
light, quick, sexy, and romantic
Darcy
I had initial picked up this book only intending to read the Linda Winstead Jones story, but it was so good that I thought what the heck, why not check out the others. I should have stopped when I was ahead.

Maggie Shayne's story was preposterous and not in a good way. I found myself rolling my eyes while reading it and was glad that it wasn't even 100 pages long.

Day Leclaire's story hit my buttons for a whole other reason. The boss manages to conduct a secret affair with the woman, while promoti...more
CoffeeTimeRomance andMore
Who says you cannot have it all? Well with these three authors, you get everything you could wish for and more. Men with a little mystery and a lot of mastery, and women who learn how to take life by the horns, makes this a delightfully entertaining read. Of all the couples, Nell Rose and Julian are probably my favorite, just because they feel the most down-to-earth and realistic in their relationship, but each of these stories has fantastic appeal in their own right.

Lototy
Reviewer for Coffee Ti...more
Em
The Toughest Girl in Town was a really cute, short read, although it does require that you stretch your believability a little.
Resolution was my least favorite story of the three. It had idiotic characters and things that made me angry.
Mystery Lover was fun, fun, fun and surprisingly a little kinky (did not expect role-play). Although what Nick did wasn't entirely ethical, I still really enjoyed the story. So much fun.
Amelia-Irene
Three different stories, three different women who don't feel like they can draw the men that they want until an unusual happening comes up that "allows" them to open up a part of their personality that they had hidden, even from themselves. Watch these women become all that they can be and then some.
Kathy Martin
Three touching romances make up this anthology with heroines ranging from mild-mannered school teachers to powerful businesswomen and heroes ranging from undercover cops to reclusive authors to business tycoons. All the stories were very good.
Amy
Three stories in one book. I liked the last two better than the first, but all three suffer from badly written final chapters. I wish writers would come up with more creative ways to conclude a story than being "mushy."
Romance Writers of America
"Resolution" by Linda Winstead Jones in The Heart of Winter is a 2012 RITA finalist in the Romance Novella category
Sarah ~Book Addict~
Jan 22, 2011 Sarah ~Book Addict~ rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone who loves romance
Shelves: own, maggie-shayne
I loved every story in this book. I laughed and cried and hurt. This is a keeper.
Joan Mondragon
Good stories - I liked "Resolution" best.
Mary Clemens
Mary Clemens marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2014
Kellie Demarsh
Kellie Demarsh marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2014
Desi Alonso
Desi Alonso marked it as to-read
Jun 16, 2014
Caroleequinton
Caroleequinton marked it as to-read
May 23, 2014
Alyssa
Alyssa marked it as to-read
May 21, 2014
Dawn Thames
Dawn Thames marked it as to-read
May 17, 2014
CrissYami
CrissYami marked it as to-read
Apr 25, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
I live in the teeny, tiny town of Taylor, NY, (Alliteration Alert!) though my mailing address is Cincinnatus, my telephone exchange is Truxton and I pay taxes and vote in Cuyler. All of these are at least in the same rural county in the southern hills of New York State; Cortland County. There are more cattle than people here. The nearest “big” cities are Syracuse and Binghamton and they are an hou...more
More about Maggie Shayne...
An Enchanted Season (Psy-Changeling, #0.5; Murphy Sisters, #1) Wild Thing (Includes: Warriors of Poseidon, #1.5; Guardians, #1.5) Weddings from Hell (Night Huntress, #1.5; Brotherhood of Blood, #3.5; Nicki Styx, #2.5) The Gingerbread Man Edge of Twilight (Wings in the Night, #10)