Start by marking “Time to Sleep” as Want to Read:
Time to Sleep

Time to Sleep

4.16  ·  Rating Details  ·  123 Ratings  ·  35 Reviews
It’s time to sleep! Who dozes standing on one leg without falling over, snores while flying, or snuggles together in a big sleepy pile?
Published March 28th 2011 by HMH Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Time to Sleep, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Time to Sleep

Brittany Martz
Oct 29, 2014 Brittany Martz rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfiction
This is a great big book that students will enjoy looking at and reading individually or as a whole class. This book includes information about how different animals sleep. The neat thing about this book is students can relate the animals because they need to sleep too. The words in this book are very child-friendly and include just enough factual information. Some of the words are in bold for emphasis while others are in bold because it is the name of a new animal. The pictures in this book are ...more
Ken Martin
Nov 04, 2014 Ken Martin rated it it was amazing
Once again Steve Jenkins has done an amazing job on this children’s book about sleeping. One thing that one would think be so boring be actually very interesting and informative. Page by page I was anticipating what animal was going to be next, seeing animals sleep was very interesting and almost thrilling. This book also engages students by asking questions that really make kids think. The information packed within this book is just amazing. This book would be a great addition to any classroom.
Vanessa Kirk
Mar 04, 2013 Vanessa Kirk rated it really liked it
Audience: I think the audience for this book could be anywhere from Kindergarten through third graders. I know young children, like toddlers, would love for this book to be read to them also.

Appeal: All kids will love this book because it involves fun animals. It gives interesting facts about each animal and how they sleep at night. By reading this book, I even learned many facts about some of the animals that I had never known before. The older kids will love that there is an extra part in the
Cemeread
Jun 19, 2014 Cemeread rated it really liked it
Shelves: ch-non-fiction
Just right for preschoolers. The torn and cut page collage animals are realistic and wonderful. I would love to have some of the artwork. The fact about each animal is short and interesting. Find out which animal is half brained about sleep, who's on autopilot, and who can sleep almost anywhere. An additional paragraph about each animal is provided after the "story' portion.
Jess Farabaugh
Time to sleep by Steve Jenkins is a non-fiction picture book appropriate for children ages 4 through 8. Throughout this book you learn about how many different animals get their sleep. This book invites children to look at even the most unusual ways that animals get their rest. For, example some animals sleep on one leg or deep down in a hole of at the bottom of ocean. This is a great book to use in the classroom to introduce your students to fun facts about all different types of animals.
Jennifer Rasmussen
Mar 18, 2014 Jennifer Rasmussen rated it it was amazing
This book made an excellent companion to the alphabetical Crescent Dragonwagon's All the Awake Animals. Cute enough to be read at bedtime, informative enough to be talked about and read daytime. It answers questions you didn't know you had. It dovetailed nicely with the Radiolab story on sleep my children heard also!
Treasure
Dec 23, 2011 Treasure rated it it was amazing
Why do flamingoes sleep on one leg at a time? Did you know the white stork can sleep IN FLIGHT? To find out about these animals and more, pick up this excellent picture book by renowned team Robin Page and Steve Jenkins. This bedtime book shares the unusual ways different animals sleep, and contains both facts and occasional comments from the animals themselves. The information is presented in a format that appeals to young readers, but is also interesting enough to hold the attention of older r ...more
Rachel
Jun 30, 2012 Rachel rated it really liked it
Another book I picked up for my son that was a little too advanced for him at the moment. Again love the illustrations and the facts and descriptions about the animals/amphibians/birds/fish are better I think than "Time to Eat". For example, giraffes sleep less than two hours and a group of giraffes is called a corps or tower. The wood frog hibernates by freezing solid and thawing in the spring. Or that bottlenose dolphins "keep one half of their brain awake and one half asleep. The awake half t ...more
Rachel
Jan 29, 2014 Rachel rated it really liked it
Companion book to Time to Eat...I liked this one a little better (but maybe just because I read it second and new more what to expect?)
Bridget R. Wilson
You know about sleeping, right? Lights out, eyes shut, in bed? Well, not if you're an animal. Time to Sleep explores the sleeping habits of 17 animals.

What I thought: Great as usual. Books by Jenkins & Page are always so interesting and informative. I love the more information section. Time to Sleep would work well for a bedtime or pajama story time for older kids. I really like the illustrations. I'm becoming quite fond of torn & cut paper collage. My favorite illustrations are hedgehog
Shelli
Dec 31, 2013 Shelli rated it really liked it
This is another fantastically illustrated picture book for children by Steven Jenkins. Time to Sleep describes the various sleeping habits of several different species of animals. Did you know that the white stork sleeps while flying?? Kids will love this informative read and elementary teachers can easily use this as additional science curriculum.
Nicole
Audience: Kindergarten-3rd grade students, animal lovers, students who enjoy non-fiction, classroom teachers, and librarians

Appeal: This book offers a kid friendly way to present information about how different animals sleep. The book addresses rare animals and the interesting ways and places they sleep. Children reading this will find this interesting information easy to read and the correlating pictures intriguing as well.

Award List: Eureka! Silver Honor Book
Kristen
I'm on the lookout for interesting non-fiction for early readers. Steve Jenkins and Robin Page have this great series, with TIME TO SLEEP, TIME TO EAT, and TIME FOR A BATH. Each page has an animal with a fact-bite: "Snug in its underground burrow, the hairy armadillo snoozes for more than twenty hours a day." More for browsing than report-writing, this is pure fun to read.
Julia Jasztal
Jan 08, 2013 Julia Jasztal rated it liked it
(Mommy's review from 5/12)

This is a lot like some other books we've read, including a few by Jenkins. I have to admit that it's interesting even for adults so children will probably get a real kick out of it.
If you like this another cool one to check out is Everyone Poops by Tarō Gomi. Same idea, different subject, just as fun to read through if not more so.
Alyson (Kid Lit Frenzy)
This is a series of three books that looks at sleep, food, and bath-time for animals. When I saw the cover, I actually thought it would be more of a preschool picture book but it turns out to be a non-fiction book on how animals sleep. The whole collection would be nice to have in a classroom/school library.
Angie
Oct 05, 2011 Angie rated it really liked it
Shelves: juvenile-non-fic
I always love anything Steven Jenkins and his wife Robin Page do. They are awesome. Interesting facts about how animals sleep (a giraffe sleeps for less than two hours a day? a white stork for seconds at a time?) plus of course the illustrations are just BEAUTIFUL.

Yawn. Time for a nap now. In a good way!
Mary
Nov 09, 2012 Mary rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Accessible non fiction for the younger ages focusing on the unusual ways in which animals sleep. Did you know the wood frog freezes solid when it hibernates? That only half of a dolphin's brain sleeps at a time, so the other half can tell it to wake up and surface for air? Amazing.
Adrienne Furness
I feel like I've learned almost everything interesting I know about animals from Steve Jenkins. In this case, I now know that there is a toad that hibernates by letting itself freeze for the winter. If that isn't cool, I don't know what is.
Matthew
Dec 30, 2011 Matthew rated it really liked it
Shelves: animal-books
This is one in a series of three that are all equally well written. This one covers animals' sleeping patterns. It has a great end section containing additional information about each of animals mentioned in the text.
Holly
Jun 07, 2012 Holly rated it really liked it
I read this book after Over and Under the Snow. There are amazing facts about how animals sleep in this little book. Kids would love it, and there is a lot more information in the back on each animal featured.
Judy Desetti
Dec 21, 2011 Judy Desetti rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Teachers K-3
Wonderful! A must buy for my library. The information will keep kids interested and the illustrations go well.

Did you know scientists have not figured out if horned bees sleep or just rest at night?
Becky
Feb 28, 2015 Becky rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids, fun
Bedtime reading :)
Tricia
Sep 07, 2011 Tricia rated it really liked it
Book shows how different animals sleep and is nicely paired with other Jenkins' titles. Entertaining science for young children is a skill that this author and his collaborators do well.
Karen Arendt
Mar 25, 2012 Karen Arendt rated it really liked it
Shelves: animals, nonfiction
Great! This book, along with Time to Eat and Time for a Bath will be a great lesson for kindergarten. It could also be used for an introduction to second grade animals.
Jen
Jun 11, 2012 Jen rated it it was amazing
Shelves: pb
Integrates fun facts about animals sleep habits with pretty pictures. i really like the other ones in this series called "Time to Eat" and "Time for a Bath"
Anne Beier
Could use as the basis of a storytime or pajama storytime. About different animals and how they sleep differently and for different lengths of time.
Carolyn
Jan 29, 2013 Carolyn rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Easy non-fiction book about animals' unusual sleep habits. Great illustrations.
Teri
Dec 29, 2012 Teri rated it really liked it
Shelves: animals
Another great Steve Jenkins book--but not quite as good as Time for a Bath.
Jodie
Jun 18, 2013 Jodie rated it really liked it
Readers will learn about how animals sleep.
Edward Sullivan
Great nature book for younger children.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • First Garden: The White House Garden and How It Grew
  • Hippos Are Huge!
  • Elizabeth, Queen of the Seas
  • Woodpecker Wham!
  • Have You Heard the Nesting Bird?
  • Neighborhood Sharks: Hunting with the Great Whites of California's Farallon Islands
  • America Is Under Attack: September 11, 2001: The Day the Towers Fell