Start by marking “Seven Tears Into the Sea” as Want to Read:

Beckon the sea,

I'll come to thee....

Shed seven tears,

perchance seven years....

At the age of ten, Gwen Cooke had a strange encounter with a boy with dark, slightly tilted eyes. He came to her on the beach, whispered strange words in her ear, and then disappeared. Shortly thereafter, her family moved away from their seaside home and Gwen never saw the boy again.

Now sev

Published April 2005 by Simon Pulse

To ask other readers questions about Seven Tears Into the Sea, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Seven Tears Into the Sea

Ingo by Helen DunmoreForgive My Fins by Tera Lynn ChildsThe Tail of Emily Windsnap by Liz KesslerSirena by Donna Jo NapoliHarry Potter and the Goblet of Fire by J.K. Rowling
Sea Creatures
17th out of 423 books — 672 voters
Of Poseidon by Anna BanksForgive My Fins by Tera Lynn ChildsTempest Rising by Tracy DeebsEverblue by Brenda PandosRipple by Mandy Hubbard
YA Mermaid Novels
29th out of 117 books — 620 voters

More lists with this book...

Janina
Er. Okay. Let me tell you first that I am not the most cheerful person at the moment – and yes, I am blaming the electrical engineering and mechanics exams I am studying for right now. And this book infuriated me for some reason. I really don’t know why I made myself read up until page 230 here when it was pretty clear that I wouldn’t enjoy this novel – and as I don’t have much time to read right now anyway, I certainly shouldn’t waste it on books I don’t like. But well, I can only blame myself....more
Caroline
Jun 27, 2011 Caroline rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone interested in folklore romance, and all selkie fans
Terri Farley tackles a scarcely-written-about Celtic legend in this sweet teen romance. And, much to my delight, she does a very good job.

Again, my own bias slips in. I was raised on selkies, ever since the fabulous children's book "The Seal Mother" was read to me at bedtime. As someone who is absolutely obsessed with the story, I intend to read every book about selkies out there. Most, however, are cheesy romance novels that I know I'm not going to take too seriously. "Seven Tears into the Sea"...more
Melinda
Sep 23, 2011 Melinda rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: those who like animals better than people
I don't think this review is going to contain spoilers, because it is all very obvious from the beginning, but if you are a slow-to-catch-on type then skip this review. I kept telling myself I was too busy to read at my normal pace, when I realized that it was actually what I was reading that had me plodding through. So now I'm fininshed and ...
Meh.

This is the story of a very beautiful girl who has never had a boyfriend, suddenly uprooted from familiar surroundings to a fantasy lifestyle when...more
LynnMarie
LynnMarie’s Review

Seven Tears into the Sea was a cute Young Adult romance. The title intrigued me, as did the cover art. There was a unique paranormal element…no vamps or werewolves in this one. The mythology wound itself throughout the chapters, which left me wanting to know more.

Gwen spends the summer at her grandmother’s bed and breakfast to help out. She’s seventeen and still remembered the mysterious day when she was ten years old. A boy saved her from drowning and whispered words that she...more
kari
Jul 03, 2009 kari rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2009, ya
Seven Tears into the Sea ia a beautiful story and the writing is concise and clear but the story feels unfinished to me. SO many questions left unanswered that bothered me.
The story is about Gwen, who at the age of ten, while sleep-walking on the beach almost drowns and is saved by a selkie or did she imagine it?
The confusing thing about it is that sometimes the author refers to the person who saved her as a man and sometimes a boy so I was never sure. When she is seventeen, she returns to the c...more
Liz
Seven Tears in the Sea

When Gwen Cooke was ten, she was rescued from drowning by a strangely handsome young man, who whispered a rhyme into her ear, telling her to call for him with her tears in seven years time. The people in town believed she’d been molested. Her parents soon moved her away to a larger city and she never visited, until now. Gwen is acutely aware that it’s been seven years, but she’s headed back to the little town to help her grandmother (who was recently injured) with her bed a...more
Samantha
Oct 01, 2008 Samantha rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Veda
It was an amazing book. A first it was weird and stalkerish but then you were like Woah!. That was really good. This is the one of the only books that ever made me cry. Sorry for the stupid review it was my first.
Arlene
Seven Tears into the Sea is a great story where the fiction is supported by a Celtic myth. I enjoyed the story and liked all of the characters immediately. The narrative by the main character was captivating, and I became interested in her story from the first chapter. This book would have earned five stars if it wasn’t for its ending that left me with a few pertinent questions, which I won’t post as they would be spoilers.

Seven Tears into the Sea is about a young girl named Gwen who almost drow...more
Dee
Sep 20, 2010 Dee rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Everyone who wants a different kind of love story
"Beckon the sea, I'll come to thee...
Shed seven tears, perchance seven years..."

Aren't those lines just beautiful?

A handsome stranger speaks these haunting words to ten-year-old Gwen after he rescued her from drowning in the ocean one stormy night. He disapeered back into the sea, and shortly after the incident Gwen and her family moved away from the ocean to San Franscisco. For seven years, Gwen has pondered about that night. Who was the mysterious boy? Why was he swimming during the big storm,...more
Carol
I thought this book would be really stupid, which is why I put off reading it for so long. Most YA I read these days is disappointing, and this whole paranormal romance trend? Don't even get me started. So it's rare that I read a YA paranormal romance that is actually. . . really good.

I think one of the main reasons is because this book (gasp) came out before Twilight, before paranormal romance became a "thing" and YA writers were churning out cheap "magical" romances by the dozen. So this book...more
Ali The Romantic Scholar
This book was a total page turner, and is very hard to put down. It has the perfect combination of mystery, fantasy, and romance. The descriptive writing that Farley uses takes you away to the beautiful beach of Mirage Point actually giving you the feeling that you are standing at the cove experiencing the cool misty breeze off the ocean. Farley does an excellent job with her character development and it is very easy to experience the emotions that Gwen is feeling. And when Jesse comes into the...more
Nely
This is the first time I ever hear of selkies. As per Wikipedia - Selkies (also known as silkies or selchies) are mythological creatures that are found in Faroese, Icelandic, Irish, and Scottish folklore. Selkies are able to become human by taking off their seal skins, and can return to seal form by putting it back on.

In Seven Tears Into the Sea, Ms. Farley tells the tale of a selkie boy and his lady love. What I most enjoyed about this story was the writing - it flows with a lyrical quality mak...more
Kristina
I'm still not entirely sure how to feel about this one.

If anything, it was interesting. I really liked the folklore that kind of sprung from the sea atmosphere. There definitely isn't much of that in popular literature of today. So, the fact that the main male character of this story was a mythical selkie only made it that much more interesting. The book itself was a quick read.

Gwen Cooke was sleepwalking at the age of ten when she came upon a boy whom she thought was drowning. Alas, this boy d...more
Chiara (delicate eternity)
Beckon the sea,
I'll come to thee....
Shed seven tears,
perchance seven years....
When Gwen Cooke was ten years old, she met a strange and beautiful boy on the beach who whispered eery words in her ears - and then disappeared into thin air. Soon after their encounter, Gwen and her family move away from their sleepy coastal home town.
Now, at age seventeen, Gwen has returned, and things are just as strange as they were when she left seven years before.
So I really liked this novel!
I read a review of t...more
María
*OBS antes de empezar*
Nunca tuve la costumbre de dejar un libro, por malo que sea. Me gusta la idea (absurda tal vez) de que llegaré al punto de poder encontrar el quid sustancial de la historia o que podré encontrar el significado "oculto" a mis novatos ojos. Suelo decir: "Algo tiene que haber, sólo que no logro encontrarlo aún" y que si alguien lo escribió y se dignó en publicarlo… Pues por algo habrá sido.

Bien, con Seven tears into the Sea fué exactamente lo que pasó.

Allá por la segunda o ter...more
Bekah
This book is something I would recommend to any and all young women who enjoy the fantastical. It's the perfect kind of adventure, parentless but with supervisors, romantic but adventurous, and full of old legend and mystery. speaking for myself, and probably many others, this is the kind of adventure you dream of having when you stay with a relative during the summer. The character archetypes are well done and it got me very interested in the Celtic legends at reference.
I couldn't put it down a...more
Alan Michael Wilt
In Seven Tears into the Sea Terri Farley takes a mainstay of Celtic lore and transplants it to the present day in coastal northern California. Selkie legends, in which seals shed their skins and come to shore in human form, have been the inspiration for many works; Johns Sayles’s film "The Secret of Roan Inish" is probably the most prominent of these in recent years.

Farley’s novel begins with ten-year-old Gwen Cook, who lives with her parents in a cottage near the sea, encountering a young man l...more
Dana
I finished this book a couple of years ago; however I still have it and I'll pull it out an go through it again to give you a good review. What I can tell you is that Gwen has a harrowing experience by the ocean when she's 10 she sees a boy swimming in the stormie ocean she feels inexplicably drawn to him but her parents are more concerned that it will happen again and they move away. 7 years later is where the story begins; with a mysterious boy, a grandmother who understands more than she migh...more
Miakoda
Well, this stinks...

I didn't have high expectations. The beginning was good, but then the middle was making my head throb because of how irritated I got by the same events happening over and over again.

I found the author didn't have a clue what to say leading up to the good parts of the story. And there were REALLY good parts...just not good enough to ignore the vapidity that took over the entire middle of the book.

Still, I'll recommend this. It deserves a read. Your never know who might like i...more
Katy Jane
1. I'm left hanging. Will Gwen wait seven more years or decide to leave Jesse? Maybe if they would have had sex they would have been more promised to each other. But Gwen isn't shallow so maybe she'll wait. I DON'T KNOW. I'm dying here.
2. I liked the flower description and how they summarized what was going on in the story.
3. I don't know anything about Celtic legends and selkies but this definitely peaked my interest.
4. I learned a new word. Scry. Speaking of which, her grandma never finished h...more
Shannon
Read #1
Started on March 8, 2009
Finished on March 25, 2009

I'm a little torn because, while I really liked the actual story, I found myself unable to connect to the characters themselves. That being said, there really should be more YA novels out there that focus on folklore of the sea. I love stories about anything to do with the sea. I got used to the prose after a while. It definitely added to the atmosphere. The ending is sad, but was slightly ruined for me because it seemed rushed.
Kate
Didn't like it. The age level was a little younger, even though the main character was seventeen for most of the book. I liked that it was about selkies--I've never read about them before this. The major thing I didn't like about it, is that it didn't really describe the rules of selkies very well. It was confusing. And it leaves a lot of things unaswered. And I hated the abrubt ending. It's a good read for people who like folklore things, like selkies. Not one I would read again.
Steffi
Grace
This is a good quick read, written at the tween level. Although segments of it become a bit monotonous to the point where you may find yourself skimming, the atmosphere is enchanting, and the book will keep you reading 'till the final page (which shouldn't take long...again, a fast read)

Taelor
Probably one of the worst endings I have ever read.
***Small spoiler alert--kinda***
No passion. Not even kissing. The main character basically does chores throughout the whole book for her grandma. She meets a guy, falls in love in literally like 3 days. And then BOOM he has to go back to the "sea". One person dies in the book and the death is treated like a fart in the wind storm. It's like there needs to be a sequel, but there isn't one written. The ending happens so fast it seems like it was...more
Krista Holle
This story had beautiful descriptions but was light on actual story. I loved the selkie Jesse and wanted a more of him, but the ending lefting me unsatisfied. To be fair, the ending wAs in sync with many of the selkie legends. Overall it was an enjoyable read.
Rahel
Such a beautifully written but tragic book. The author invokes a lot of emotion and sadness in her writing. I thoroughly enjoyed this book and would definitely recommend it but not for the weak-hearted.
Marie
SPOILERS

I loved this story. It started out rough but as I read on I understood what the beginning meant and its role in the novel. As the book went on I fell in love with the story. It was very well written and little touches like inventing plant did not go missed.

Now the ending, is why I'm only rating this 3 stars. Why didn't you write an ending where they could be together. It ruined the story for me that they were separated, and then you just ended it. I can see that you thought you went out...more
Amparo
No era el final que me esperaba. Y cuando el final no me gusta, el resto de la novela deja de gustarme. Cínico, pero es así.
Stacey Espino
This book was nicely written and kept me reading. Unique idea.
Kelpies and mermen and nixes and selkies 3 11 Jun 03, 2013 09:08PM
Selkie rules 7 42 Mar 02, 2012 09:47AM
  • The Secret of the Emerald Sea
  • The Forbidden Sea
  • Merrow
  • In Great Waters
  • Selina Penaluna
  • Hannah (Daughters of the Sea, #1)
  • The Mermaid's Mirror
  • Siren's Storm (Siren's Storm, #1)
  • Fins
  • Ascension (Water, #1)
  • Siren's Call (Dark Tides, #1)
  • The Mermaid's Pendant
  • Selkie Girl
  • Mermaid Park
  • The Deep (Ingo, #3)
  • Antara (Antara, #1)
  • Between the Land and the Sea (Marina's Tales, #1)
  • Lure (Siren's Call, #1)
Terri Farley lives in the foothills of the Sierra Nevada mountains with her journalist husband, two children and pets, but still longs for the California beaches where she grew up. She's worked as a waitress, journalist and teacher and now writes full-time, most often barefoot, with a cat on her lap.
More about Terri Farley...
The Wild One (Phantom Stallion, #1) Dark Sunshine (Phantom Stallion, #3) Mustang Moon (Phantom Stallion, #2) Free Again (Phantom Stallion, #5) The Renegade (Phantom Stallion, #4)

“It never seemed fair that just when you're old enough to do anything you want, you can't. You have to start working, so there's no time. And if there is time, you're not working, so there's no money.” 32 likes
“Morning's great that way. You can cry yourself to sleep and wake up wondering what the fuss was over.” 32 likes