Start by marking “The Libertines Bound Together: The Definitive Story of Peter Doherty and Carl Barat and How They Changed British Music” as Want to Read:

4.20  ·  Rating Details  ·  260 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews
In the short time they existed, the indie rock band The Libertines kick-started a music Renaissance. Their grungy rock sound andsuch stunts as giving away albums for freeerased the barrier with fans and inspired thousands. Yet for all their musical acumen, the band made the most headlines for their apparent “live fast, die young” lifestyle and for lead man Pete Doherty’s d ...more
Published April 1st 2009 by Little, Brown Book Group (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about The Libertines Bound Together, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Libertines Bound Together

Kate
May 25, 2008 Kate rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
amazing photos. well researched - just could have done with a stricter edit. best book on the Libs.
what i learnt from this book - ? what a pair of wasters they are - but I love 'em anyway.
Mark
The Libertines - to a large extent - saved British Music out of the dulldrums of being beaten down by the Limp Bizkit, Papa roach, Linkin Park school of American Nu-Metal.

The book tells a very honest tale of the friendships which made & destroyed the band.

Even for the fans who lived this, a must read.
Beth
Oct 24, 2008 Beth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: libertines fans
Shelves: non-fiction
So many new bands that are about now would not be around if it were not for the Libertines. The photos are incredible. I feel I know them a little better now and despite their failings (and maybe slightly because of them) I still love them and the music they made.
Leigh Roberts
Aug 25, 2013 Leigh Roberts rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A band that saved us from papa roach, limp biskit and travis but why oh why not from the f&@?ing beige and boring whining and snoring unfathomably popular Coldplay? Now I have that off my chest -great band, great book
Anaïs
Sep 20, 2014 Anaïs rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A must-read for every Libertines fan. I love it to bits!
emily
Feb 23, 2007 emily rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: rock music fans
Shelves: music
Much better than the other Libs book I read. Anthony Thornton, NME scribe, knows what he's talking about and gives a clear, (mostly) unbiased opinion of events and people. The photographs are stunning, beautiful, sad, and funny, just like the story itself.
Jamie
May 11, 2012 Jamie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

If you like the libertines you'll love this book. Although it did make me like Carl Barat a log more than I did before. And it made me like Pete a lot less. But quality bio of their rise and fall.
Tim Evans
May 21, 2012 Tim Evans rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
The kind of myth-making that the NME specialise in. A fawning account of a band that were never as important as they thought they were. I Get Along is a tune though.
Rosemary
May 30, 2014 Rosemary rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: music-books
Probably, the best book on The Libertines, out there. Informative, thorough, but still emotionally affecting. Not to mention lots of great pictures.
Sophie
Oct 07, 2010 Sophie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting story of these two characters and their chemistry - enjoyed reading it and listening to Up The Bracket.
Meg Woodbury
A short lived band broken by conflicts of interest... cause of drug use.
Jen Rose
Jen Rose marked it as to-read
May 02, 2016
isfugl
isfugl marked it as to-read
Apr 27, 2016
Abhinav Grover
Abhinav Grover rated it it was amazing
Apr 20, 2016
Kurt De Bruyn
Kurt De Bruyn marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2016
Orangina Teardrop
Orangina Teardrop marked it as to-read
Apr 14, 2016
Kaitlin
Kaitlin marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2016
Agnes
Agnes marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2016
George
George marked it as to-read
Apr 06, 2016
Clay
Clay marked it as to-read
Apr 03, 2016
Max
Max marked it as to-read
Mar 30, 2016
João Victor
João Victor marked it as to-read
Mar 21, 2016
RightOnRed
RightOnRed marked it as to-read
Mar 21, 2016
Emily
Emily marked it as to-read
Mar 19, 2016
Elie
Elie rated it it was amazing
Mar 11, 2016
Katadrom
Katadrom marked it as to-read
Feb 27, 2016
Stan Pannier
Stan Pannier rated it really liked it
Jade
Jade marked it as to-read
Javiera Pérez
Javiera Pérez marked it as to-read
Cindy
Cindy marked it as to-read
  • Threepenny Memoir: The Lives of a Libertine
  • The Haçienda: How Not to Run a Club
  • Britpop!: Cool Britannia And The Spectacular Demise Of English Rock
  • The Grass Arena: An Autobiography
  • Powder
  • How Soon Is Now? The Madmen & Mavericks Who Made Independent Music (1975-2005)
  • Withnail and I: the Original Screenplay
  • Different for Girls: A Girl's Own True-life Adventures in Pop
  • The Jesus and Mary Chain: Barbed Wire Kisses
Anthony Thornton was the Reviews Editor for NME magazine from 2002-2006. He has written for NME, The Independent, Q Magazine, The Idler and The Times.

Official site: The Libertines Bound Together

Biography: Biography

More about Anthony Thornton...