Start by marking “Checkmate (Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell, #3)” as Want to Read:
Checkmate (Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell, #3)

Checkmate (Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell #3)

3.89 of 5 stars 3.89  ·  rating details  ·  2,890 ratings  ·  44 reviews
All in a day's work for a Splinter Cell

He is Sam Fisher: Third Echelon special operative. And when a cargo freighter loaded down with radioactive material is headed towards the coast of the United States, he has minutes to disable the ship - or die trying.
Published November 7th 2006 by Berkley

To ask other readers questions about Checkmate, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Checkmate

Wesley
This book would have been better if I hadn't read the first two books first. In general this book pissed me off for the first 2/3 of it. The writer of this book made no attempt whatsoever to maintain continuity with the first two books. The main characters all acted different. Mention of old bad guys and events were non-existent. Heck the start of this book has the same disaster potential as what happened in the end of the last book and they acted like it never happened. The writing style, which ...more
Natasha
I was excited to read this book because I used to play the video game regularly. If you keep in mind this is a book based on a video game, you won't be disappointed. For me, it was difficult to not hear the character's voices that are used in the game and imagine the action in the book as a video game, but to be fair, I was quite the Splinter Cell addict.

Unfortunately, reading about Sam Fisher's life wasn't that great, especially because the writing was awful. Whoever did the copy editing also
Mike Balsom
Book three of the series based on the popular video game. I am not a "'gamer", and have never even seen this game, but I have thoroughly enjoyed all three of these books thus far. I have found it easy to like Sam Fisher as a solitary character, risking his life repeatedly as a splinter cell. This third novel veers away from the story arc of the first two, but continues the theme of deception, espionage and potential nuclear destruction, with one man able to stop the carnage. My one issue with th ...more
Husein
This is the third book in the Splinter Cell series and the one I thoroughly enjoyed reading. This time it was very much action packed. Sort of like Die Hard one on steroids. It was far, far less predictable than the second book. Sam is again dealing with the Chinese but this time Iranians are also involved.

The story takes place in the Far East and this time there was almost a nuclear attack on the US. Sam is investigating a very deeply and thoroughly planned attack on the US soil that almost ca
Eric Vaughn-matthews
This novel is not a masterpiece by any stretch of the means. It is not an award winner. It is a fun way to kill time, and it can certainly do that. The plot revolves around a Chinese Triad leader who wants revenge on the western world for hunting down most of his family and organization. To do so, he plans to start a war between the US and Iran with a plot involving radioactive terrorist attacks. Because it's not a modern military thriller without nukes somehow being involved. Sam Fisher, the pr ...more
M1ghtystar
its all in a days work for Sam Fisher- Splinter Cell. he is a third Echelon special opreative. but when a freighter loaded with radioactive material, is heading for the coast of the United States he has minutes to disable the ship. or at least die trying. when he succeed, he had to find out who would such a thing? he heads to ahfganistan and tries toget information out of a black market trader and the guy tells him to go to Chernybol,Russia becuse that is were they stole the radioactive material ...more
08andreb
A terrorist attack on New Mexico kills the entire town of Slipstone dead and most of the clues point toward Iran but the ones that don’t lead in an entirely different direction. Now Sam Fisher has only days to find out who is behind the attack in David Michael’s exciting novel Tom Clancy’s Splinter Cell: Check Mate.
This book takes place in 2003, mostly in the near and Far East. This is the first book in the series to use dates so I’m not sure if it’s a prequel or a sequel to the other books in
Irish
May 03, 2008 Irish rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who like page turner spy novels that aren't very complex.
It was pretty good. Started out really well, a good balance of story, action, character development, scene, etc. About a third to halfway in, the action took center stage and I started to feel like maybe the author was rushing through. Up to that point, the pace was slower, but the drama and story were there. The last third of the book was too rushed, had too much going on and felt like action narrative for a movie script rather than a novel. I wonder if the editors put a page limit on this or i ...more
Sean Kelly
I liked this book inasmuch as I can like a shameless spinoff series from a top author (although it is not nearly as well written as Clancy's books). Full disclosure: I used this to test out my new Kobo, which worked well. The novel itself is escapist spy-fiction reading, but the story was a page turner and it skips over much of the detail that makes Clancy's novels so long (and great and interesting). There isn't much to tell about character development here, the protagonist is basically a one-m ...more
Brandon Weyand
Book Review

I’m currently reading Tom Clancy’s Splinter Cell: Checkmate. The book is about a lone operative; a man named Sam Fisher. Sam works for a secret division of the NSA called “Third Echelon” and has to go on numerous "high risk" missions, gathering information through espionage. This time terrorists have gotten hold of a biological weapon; and Sam of course, has to stop them. But somehow the enemy is always one step ahead… While he’s out trying to stop a radioactive ship from exploding,
Megan Orlando
This is the most aweful book of the whole seris. Dont waste your time reading this one. I really like this seris but all the books after Operation Baracuda are written by a different person that doesnt bother to edit his work. This book somhow made it to print with several spelling errors. The author tries his best to explain the way a situation is happening but fails miserably making it near impossible to picture the way the author is explaining an action scene.
The next book in the seris is muc
Luke The God
Has a good plot but started to get boring towards the end. Appeals to people that like action packed novels, but because there are a lot of names and some of the characters are from previous novels of the series, its best to start from the first book.
Martin Sidgreaves
Having read the previous 'Splinter Cell' novels in this series I looked forward to kicking back on Holiday and getting into this one. The first thing I noticed was a change in the writing style from the first two which had chapters written in `the first person'. Michaels seems to have dispensed with this style in favour of a more conventional approach.

Apart from this, the plot is quick and as always, believable. The technology used by Fisher, although futuristic, is not beyond the realms of pos
Jhon(Original)
We come back with Sam Fisher from the first two parts. He is yet again called for a mission to find a man who released a virus that killed nearly 5,300 people and makes his way through different encounters and inflitrations to find the perpetrator. This book had a lot of story to give, unlike the second part. I liked the action, which is something that is largely incorporated into this novel. There was also a lot of adventure, which I enjoyed as well because Sam always has to deal with new locat ...more
Dr. Dave
Good, not great, book, but that's what I expected. Good book to bring to the lake.
Corey Tardif
After reading the previous two Splinter Cell books, I just couldn't wait to read this one. This one seemed to be very different than the previous two books, but it was still a good read. While reading this book, the first thing I noticed was the writing style is different. This one isn't a follow-up to the Operation Barracuda book, this time agent Sam Fisher is called in to intercept a cargo freighter loaded with radioactive material and headed for the U.S. coast. If you like the first two books ...more
Omar Ouenniche
Splinter Cell was a reallu great book. I really enjoy the slow paced sneak around genre . This book read like it could come from a game. I thought it was true to the vision of Third Echelon and Sam Fisher, and what I would expect. The story had an amazing with story twists, deception, and number of places visited by Sam, but that is how the games are played out. If you are looking for a work of brilliant espionage, turn elsewhere. Over all the book was great and i reccomend it.
Anthony
I would agree with some of the reviews I've read. If I hadn't read the first 2 it would have been great. It just wasn't like the first 2. Sam Fisher didn't even act the same in the book. There was no mention of his daughter when so much time was spent on her in the first 2 books. The book seemed jumpy and didn't flow well. I know this is a new author and it is painfully obvious. Plus there was multiple typographical errors all throughout the book.
Dan
Decent enough for video game fare, but the editing was lacking - spelling errors, wrong words, missing words - very distracting.

One other thing that bugged me: the main character, Sam Fisher, kills and spares enemies at random and for no reason. That is, it is not often clear why he chooses to kill someone rather than just knock him out.
Ronnie
Sam Fisher is a special operative of the Third Echelon. After trying to stop a freighter loaded with radioactive material headed straight for the U.S. Coast many people start dying in New Mexico from radiation. Will Sam be able to find out who did this? Read the book and find out.
Steven Hummer

I didn't enjoy this book as much as the first two. The first books where written in first person and the author changed his style to the third person. The plot was hard to follow at times and the first two books are way better.
Doug
the third in the Splinter Cell series which is based on the computer game created by Tom Clancy - Sam Fisher prevents a war from breakout after a town of 5000 is wiped out in Texas by a Chinese terrorist.
Francisco J.
Although this book wasn't as personal as "Operation Barracuda", it still had characters that were believeable, thus allowing the reader to form a personal connection to them, making the story enjoyable.
Doug
Dec 08, 2008 Doug rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Doug by: Roy
Shelves: fic-d-michaels
This is a good story, but the book is very poorly edited. This was my first Sam Fisher novel, and I enjoyed it very much beyond the difficulty of reading through bad spelling and unedited paragraphs.
Fredrik
this was without doubt one of the best Splinter Cell novels yet. great pace, great action, and handled by a sure hand by the author.

A must-read for all fans of the Splinter Cell franchise!
Josh & Tiffany
This is an enjoyable story for what it is. I still wonder, however, how so many grammatical and spelling errors can be made in one publication. Is that the fault of the author or his publisher?
Stefan
A gripping thriller that expanded upon the Splinter Cell universe. I especially liked the exotic locales, the multitude of exciting action scenes, and interesting weaponry.
Kaity
I can't even keep reading this it's so bad. Did it even go to an editor?? There are so many typos. I'm stuck at the boring ass Chernobyl part. This book was such a let down.
David Nadolny
An ok Tom Clancy setting book. Fine for reading in the bathroom or to fall asleep, but nothing for a rainy Sunday afternoon with a blanket over you and a cup o tea.
Cuinn
The author changed a lot since the last book, he isn't using first person anymore... somewhat disappointing. But still a good plot and story.
  • Fallout (Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell, #4)
  • Endgame (Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell, #6)
  • Conviction (Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell, #5)
  • War of Eagles (Tom Clancy's Op-Center, #12)
  • Springboard (Tom Clancy's Net Force, #9)
  • Cutting Edge (Tom Clancy's Power Plays, #6)
Raymond Benson has been an author, composer, computer game designer, stage director, film historian, and film genres instructor for over thirty years. He is also the fourth official author of the James Bond 007 novels.

More about Raymond Benson...

Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell (7 books)
  • Splinter Cell (Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell, #1)
  • Operation Barracuda (Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell, #2)
  • Fallout (Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell, #4)
  • Conviction (Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell, #5)
  • Endgame (Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell, #6)
  • Blacklist Aftermath (Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell, #7)
Splinter Cell (Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell, #1) Operation Barracuda (Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell, #2) High Time to Kill (Raymond Benson's Bond, #3) The Black Stiletto: The First Diary--1958 (The Black Stiletto #1) Zero Minus Ten